shape
carat
color
clarity

Women's March Jan 21, 2017

ericad

Ideal_Rock
Trade
We had tons and tons of kids at our march, it was awesome! We were going to bring our 11 year old daughter, but she had been sick with a fever the day before, so we left her with her grandparents. But I'm bummed she missed it - had I known it would be as historic, as peaceful, as BEAUTIFUL as it turned out to be, I would have certainly done differently.

My husband is former PD, so we had contingency plans in case the march got hairy (anyone watched the movie Battle in Seattle about the WTO protests here? Awful what happened), and turns out that there were no blockades whatsoever along the march route, so at any moment one could just hang a left or right to get onto a parallel street where it was like a ghost town. I swear the LE that was present looked downright bored lol.

Bringing kids to a march/protest is a calculated risk, but I certainly don't question people's parenting. In fact, I'm questioning my own parenting choice to leave my kid behind - what a dumb thing to do!

ericad

Ideal_Rock
Trade
JoCoJenn|1485143696|4118362 said:
Just wanted to share that yesterday, DD was at work. The cafe closed early because everything sold out early (due to the march in Raleigh). When she went to leave, bus service was apparently delayed/halted, so she ventured around downtown a bit to check it out. She shared with me that it was a really enjoyable, peaceful event with women and some men, all ethnicities and orientations. People were talking, marching, and being very respectful of others as well as the community, streets, etc. The only "unpleasant" incident she witnessed was a small group of pro-lifers who were attempting to engage/disrupt/provoke some of the marchers, but thankfully it did not turn violent.

DD estimated the crowd to be in the thousands, but unsure exactly since they were spread out over a few blocks.

Just thought you all might appreciate a report from another town. :wavey:

ETA: DD is 18, just to offer an age perspective.

That's awesome! I've heard this about every city thus far, which is really incredible. It says a lot about what we can achieve with women in charge - PEACE! Glad your daughter was able to participate.

ruby59

Ideal_Rock
ericad|1485148143|4118390 said:
Just wanted to share that yesterday, DD was at work. The cafe closed early because everything sold out early (due to the march in Raleigh). When she went to leave, bus service was apparently delayed/halted, so she ventured around downtown a bit to check it out. She shared with me that it was a really enjoyable, peaceful event with women and some men, all ethnicities and orientations. People were talking, marching, and being very respectful of others as well as the community, streets, etc. The only "unpleasant" incident she witnessed was a small group of pro-lifers who were attempting to engage/disrupt/provoke some of the marchers, but thankfully it did not turn violent.

DD estimated the crowd to be in the thousands, but unsure exactly since they were spread out over a few blocks.

That's awesome! I've heard this about every city thus far, which is really incredible. It says a lot about what we can achieve with women in charge - PEACE! Glad your daughter was able to participate.

And what would have happened had it turned violent?

Or some anarchists decided to show up just for fun?

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ruby59|1485148719|4118400 said:

Oh ffs. Do you have a point??? Or just saying random negative nonsense for fun?

ruby59

Ideal_Rock
lovedogs|1485148890|4118401 said:

Do you have children. It is a parent's job to first consider all those iffs. And like I said before if you do not like my posts, feel free to skip over them. But I am not going to continue to debate you on every word I post here. They are my opinions and how I feel. Deal.

ericad

Ideal_Rock
Trade

Hmmmm, I guess we would have gotten blown up, punched in the nose, or like really angrily graffiti'd. Thankfully I don't live my life in fear of anarchists out having a fun day, bushy haired strangers, and I even walk on sewer grates and blatantly step on cracks. I'm nutty that way.

ericad

Ideal_Rock
Trade

This is how Ruby gets us away from talking about the topic at hand - by finding any obscure little thing she can to put vocal posters on the defensive, so we begin talking about something else, allowing her to control the narrative and derailing us from discussing the amazing marches that happened yesterday. I find her posts to be excellent target practice for my sarcastic wit-bombs (uh oh, I said BOMB, someone call the anti-terrorism squad!)

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Good point, Erica (although I'm totally reporting you to the SS, btw) :)

Anyone else have awesome pics or stories from Saturday?

ruby59

Ideal_Rock
ericad|1485149520|4118409 said:

This is how Ruby gets us away from talking about the topic at hand - by finding any obscure little thing she can to put vocal posters on the defensive, so we begin talking about something else, allowing her to control the narrative and derailing us from discussing the amazing marches that happened yesterday. I find her posts to be excellent target practice for my sarcastic wit-bombs (uh oh, I said BOMB, someone call the anti-terrorism squad!)

Erica, please do not try to analyze me, a person whom you have never met.

I do not feel the same as you that these "amazing women" were perfect in all of their actions.

And as far as your "sarcastic wit-bombs", you are seriously overrated. I just find you unkind.

As far as obscure, all 3 networks discussed whether young children should have been there.

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My current favorite!

_6451.jpeg

ericad

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I have a cute one. Three little girls were marching near us, two older ones trying to explain to the little one WHY we were marching and what the different signs mean. It was hilarious, as you can imagine lol. At one point there was a photo shopped Trump pig-face poster, so the little girl was like, "Well so see how Trump has a pig nose there? That's because he acts piggish against girls."

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
A better angle.

_6452.jpeg

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Don't worry, Erica. According to Trump Meryl Streep herself is "overrated"!

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Awwwww Erica that's awesome. Raising girls to be strong and not take SH*t. And Elliot I love that pic!!!

A friend sent me this one from the local March she attended. download_20170122_214822_3.png

ericad

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Elliot86|1485150614|4118421 said:
Don't worry, Erica. Apparently Meryl Streep herself is "overrated"!

I was getting ready to cry about it, as I consider myself to be intensely clever, but then realized I didn't give a poo lol.

ericad

Ideal_Rock
Trade
ruby59|1485149941|4118412 said:
ericad|1485149520|4118409 said:

Erica, please do not try to analyze me, a person whom you have never met.

I do not feel the same as you that these "amazing women" were perfect in all of their actions.

And as far as your "sarcastic wit-bombs", you are seriously overrated. I just find you unkind.

As far as obscure, all 3 networks discussed whether young children should have been there.

Point taken, Ruby! Going forward I'll simply address your posts using only my inner Prince...you'll enjoy it.

_6453.jpeg

ruby59

Ideal_Rock
Is this more of your so called whit, considering the poor man just passed away?

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Prince would have LED the march!

img_14639.jpg

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Keep calm and carry on.

prince__testing.jpg

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Was planning on attending the SF candlelight march in the afternoon with friends, but got so excited by all the texts from friends in Washington DC, that I couldn't wait and went to the Oakland march instead! It was awesome!

Amazingly lovely, positive, peaceful experience. Participants were of every age, color, size, shape and gender. There were parents with children aloft on their shoulders. Tons of smiling, laughing people throughout. Awesome organizers so politely telling us where to go and what streets not to block. Water and first aid stations, supportive law enforcement blocking cars from the route, and of course, great humor in the signs.

It was a wonderful coming together, and helped rejuvenate hope for the country.

jaaron

Brilliant_Rock
I would a thousand times rather my children saw every single sign at the march than know I had voted for a man who said the things our president has said about women. Oh, right, and disabled people, Muslims, Mexicans, President Obama, etc., etc., etc.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium

In my particular case, I was not planning to participate in the event, but I knew about it, and had given DD a heads up since she works downtown. While our city isn't huge, it has seen various protests of differing "topics"; most have been relatively peaceful except for the post-Charlotte police-involved shooting. She has seen how some of these other events have unfolded on tv, and we have discussed numerous times the risks that they *can* pose, as well as (as we conversed about in another thread) situational awareness, and things to watch for, avoid, etc.

In this case, she had called me to let me know she couldn't leave, what she was seeing (e.g. peace), and that she was going to venture over to check it out, albeit at a relative distance. And we quickly devised a plan in the event there was some sort of change in the tone of the event. Thankfully, there were no issues.

I totally understand where Ruby is coming from here, though. As someone who has been in a situation that turned violent with zero warning, I can appreciate her concern for others' safety. And I can't speak for others, but I am someone who doesn't necessarily "live in fear"; rather, it's just become second nature for me to assess situational risk in the things I do, and it's something that I have instilled in my daughter as well. That doesn't mean we don't "live life"; we just make a point to consider the possibility that things don't always go as planned. IMO, it's not any different than packing an extra change of clothes when I travel because stuff happens.

ETA - DD has also experienced first hand how situations change quickly, as she was in our local shopping mall last summer when someone fired off a couple shots in the food court, and there was a mass stampede, during which another friend of mine was trampled. I was out golfing that day, and DD happened to be in a store with her friend; we were able to communicate via txt during the situation, and she had done all of the things that we had discussed in situations like this. She wasn't hurt thankfully, and I was proud of her and extremely thankful that we HAD taken the time to talk about preparedness and 'what to do'.

My point with all of this is that you never know what life will throw at you; all you can do is prepare (e.g. consider the risks) to the extent you can, and live. :wavey:

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It don't think Ruby's point is entirely invalid. There have been other protests that HAVE turned violent, particularly if there was an adversarial relationship between the protestors and the police. In this case I know it was advertised to be a peaceful positive march. Precautions or rules they had to follow was no one could carry a purse larger than a small amount, clear water bottles only, placards only, no handle/sticks for the placard and could not wear any metal including jewelry. What made it safer was that people weren't hampered in by blockades or pushed by the police. The only way this size march could have been made safe, is that everyone did work together (yes both the marchers AND the police). So I thank the police as well.
Someone I knew who went to the DC march said it was the most well-organized march she had been to. If someone needed to stop or pull over to a more empty part of the street, the crowds made way and were helpful. If someone needed medical assistance people around the person pointed to the person and called out medic, and so the medics could quickly and safely locate give assistance. I think the fact that it was such a diverse group, with older people, husbands, people with disabilities, and children, made the march a more inclusive and representative picture of our country as a whole. Another friend, he attended with his wife and daughter. His daughter is very bright, knows about the issues and designed her own placard. I'm glad she was able to attend this historic event.

I know for myself as a woman, while I am not going to willingly place myself in unsafe situations, for a long time fear, particularly fear of the threat of violence, has been used to control groups of people (African Americans, females). I don't want fear to be the motivating factor in my life.

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Violence can happen anywhere. Such as gunfire in a shopping mall where there are tens and potentially hundreds of children, women, men, elderly and family groups. It's good to discuss it within the family and make decisions which are right for yours, just as you'd decide for yourself if your child is old enough to attend a shopping mall or other locations where there may potentially be a violent situation.

The major news networks talked about it because that's what they do. They run out of stories with actual facts so they get experts, non-experts, those involved and those not involved to weigh in on what they think about the situation. It's basically like reading the op-ed part of the newspaper. All opinions welcome to discuss, but it's not fact based news.

I love Sir Ian :bigsmile:

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I will also add that while I am largely unaware of the planning and coordination that went into THIS particular event, I think whoever was responsible seriously deserves a medal of freedom! I have planned lots of events (mostly corporate types), and they were nowhere near the magnitude of this. And - whether you participated or not, support the cause or not - to have pulled this event together in so many cities and other countries even, and to have it come together, peacefully with few if any reports of violence is nothing short of miraculous!

Hopefully, other groups/causes will take note, as the coverage I have seen for this event (politics aside) compared to others has been all positive. And I believe the manner in which it WAS coordinated & carried out is what will set this platform apart and above others in terms of "being heard".

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Erica, Thank for posting about your expierence. Your daughter has a great role model!!! I'm sure years from now she will telling you how proud of you she was this past weekend.

Loved your comment Jaaron!

Sungura

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks jocojenn for sharing your daughter's experience. We did not know what to expect going into this. I shared on Facebook that I was on my way to attend and nearly all comments urged me to be safe and careful. My sister and I wrote my husbands cell # on our forearms with a sharpie. We planned for various emergency scenarios

Thanks Rhea and partgypsy for sharing some details of the organizing. While on the Amtrak to DC I answered the call for more volunteers to act as march marshals. I watched the training video (I was unable to figure out how to get my signed release submitted in time so I did not volunteer after all) I was very impressed with the training itself with topics such as:
How to handle medical emergencies
How to keep marchers separated from potential detractors
How to protect marchers from traffic at intersections
Stay between police and marchers
Never run
Don't shout
How to deescalate
Etc

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just curious - did any of you who attended (in the bigger cities) see a lot of vendors or anything? I'd be kind of surprised if a few companies didn't capitalize on the opportunity to set up tents/displays, offer give-aways, etc. given the anticipated turn-out. My business-brain thinks it would be been a unique, no-brainer of an opportunity for exposure to those that cater products/services to women ... kind of like how the Superbowl always sparks new businesses, ads, etc.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results