shape
carat
color
clarity

Will you get the Covid 19 Booster vaccine when it is available to you?

Will you get the booster?

• 1. Yes

Votes: 181 82.3%
  • 2. No

Votes: 29 13.2%
  • 3. Undecided

Votes: 10 4.5%

• Total voters

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do you know which ones? Walgreens seems to have the same question on their site. CVS is the main pharmacy chain by me.

I could be wrong but it seems all of the CVSs in NY and NJ.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ah ok I thought you said CVS was a no go.

Yes,their official stance is they are following federal guidelines not state guidelines. CVS won’t give the booster to anyone who is not federally eligible. Unless you check the box you fit into one of the eligible categories. No one is checking. It’s on the honor system.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ah ok I thought you said CVS was a no go.

Here’s the info.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2021/11/16/booster-vaccine-eligibility-states/

The conflicting state-level and federal policies put pharmacies in a tricky spot. Even as some states encourage all adults to get booster shots, large national pharmacy chains like CVS and Walmart say they have to abide by the federal rules.
“We understand that some states may expand the criteria for COVID-19 boosters, but our participation in the Federal Pharmacy Program requires us to follow recommendations from the CDC,” Joe Goode, a spokesman for CVS Health said in an email. “In line with that guidance, we are relying on self-attestation from patients with regards to their qualifying conditions as outlined in the agency’s recommendation and guidance.”

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Got my Pfizer booster and a flue shot a couple hours ago so far just a sore arm on the flu shot side.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Had my Pfizer/BioNTech booster yesterday, and it is frigging hurt compared to my first 2 doses of AstraZeneca ones!

Should have taken some painkillers before I went to bed last night as I did not sleep too well due to the pain around the injection site.

I shall definitely take some before I go to bed tonight.

DK :))

elle_chris

Ideal_Rock
I'm in NY and got my booster last Friday.
Hubs and I just walked into Walgreens with our vaccination cards and asked for the jab.
They didn't ask us any questions, just had us fill out two forms that had very vague questions to see if you qualify.
I mean no matter what you checked you could potentially qualify.
We were eligible because we're former smokers, but nothing required us to list our "condition".
Anyway, we filled out the forms, and got our booster. The entire thing took less than 10 minutes. There was no one else there.

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Massachusetts just announced they are opening up booster eligibility to those over 18 as well.

Because I am still spending much of my time caring for my mother, there is only a 10 day window in December to get my booster. I tired to sign up for earlier this week but you can only schedule 2 weeks out. So the dates I want aren't available until next week. I hope I can still get an appointment now that the masses are newly eligible.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

FDA OKs COVID-19 Booster Shots for All Adults​

— Pfizer, Moderna boosters now authorized as well​

by Molly Walker, Deputy Managing Editor, MedPage Today November 19, 2021

Pfizer and Moderna COVID-19 vaccine boosters for all adults

The FDA expanded the emergency use authorizations (EUAs) for Pfizer and Moderna's COVID-19 vaccines to include booster shots for all adults, the agency said on Friday.
Every adult who received a COVID vaccine at least 6 months prior will be eligible for a booster dose of mRNA vaccine. Previously, Pfizer and Moderna vaccine boosters were limited to those who had received a two-dose primary series at least 6 months before, and fell into specialized groups, such as adults ages 65 and up or younger adults with high-risk medical conditions or at high risk of occupational or institutional exposure to the virus. (The agency previously authorized Johnson & Johnson boosters for all recipients of that vaccine starting 2 months after the single-shot regimen.)

"Streamlining the eligibility criteria and making booster doses available to all individuals 18 years of age and older will also help to eliminate confusion about who may receive a booster dose and ensure booster doses are available to all who may need one," said Peter Marks, MD, PhD, director of FDA's Center for Biologics Evaluation and Research, in a statement.
The Pfizer booster dose is the same as the two primary shots (30 μg), while Moderna's is a half-dose (50 μg) of its primary shots.
The EUA was granted on the basis of safety and immunogenicity data provided by each manufacturer.
For Pfizer, the agency reviewed immunogenicity data from "approximately 200 participants" ages 18-55. Interestingly, FDA made no mention of data released via press release last month from Pfizer's randomized booster trial of over 10,000 individuals ages 16 and up. The phase III trial found that the booster dose was safe and demonstrated a relative 95.6% efficacy versus those who had only received a two-dose primary series.

Moderna's EUA was granted on the basis of immunogenicity data from 149 adults from P201, a phase II trial, who received the two-dose 100 μg series (the dose authorized under EUA) plus the booster dose, which FDA said "demonstrated a booster response."
FDA's Vaccines and Related Biological Products Advisory Committee (VRBPAC) had previously discussed these immunogenicity data back in September (Pfizer) and October (Moderna) prior to the authorizations for high-risk populations. But there was no VRBPAC meeting to discuss this EUA. Previously, the agency's advisors had shown no appetite for boosters in all adults, voting against Pfizer's initial application by a vote of 16-2 and not wanting to discuss it during Moderna's review.
In Friday's announcement, FDA noted the increased risk of vaccine-associated myocarditis and pericarditis, but determined that "the benefits of a single booster dose [...] outweigh the risks" in adults ages 18 and up.
The CDC's Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices will meet later on Friday to discuss recommendations for boosters.
Last Updated November 19, 2021

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Got my Pfizer booster and a flue shot a couple hours ago so far just a sore arm on the flu shot side.
2 sore arms and feel tired and cranky.
Arm with flu shot is the worse one.

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
DH is done! He got the Moderna booster after having the Pfizer series and the flu shot. He's working from home today and off anyway for the next two days.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
DH is done! He got the Moderna booster after having the Pfizer series and the flu shot. He's working from home today and off anyway for the next two days.

Congrats!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade

margauxmines

Shiny_Rock
I definitely will. But in the Philippines supply is still a huge issue. We're only at 30% vaccination rate nationwide so while regulatory bodies have approved the use of boosters, most of us here realistically won't be able to get one any time soon.

Most of the vaccine supplies don't really make it here. They're in first-world countries. That's why it baffles me to see so many foreigners complain about the vaccine... over here, even if you want to get it, there just aren't enough doses to go around. Some people don't know how good they've got it...

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I definitely will. But in the Philippines supply is still a huge issue. We're only at 30% vaccination rate nationwide so while regulatory bodies have approved the use of boosters, most of us here realistically won't be able to get one any time soon.

Most of the vaccine supplies don't really make it here. They're in first-world countries. That's why it baffles me to see so many foreigners complain about the vaccine... over here, even if you want to get it, there just aren't enough doses to go around. Some people don't know how good they've got it...

I agree completely with you @margauxmines and I am very sorry you don't have a sufficient vaccine supply in the Philippines. It is a crime that we have more than we are using and you have people clamoring for them. Unacceptable.
And yes, some people just don't get it. On so many levels. It is a real shame. :(

I hope you can get all the vaccines you need soon.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
feel off, not really sick just off
I blame the flu shot as its happened before with the flu shot.

It is so weird, this year for the first time ever when we got the flu vaccine we had no side effects. Not even a sore arm. Something doesn't feel right. I told Greg the nurse gave us a huge vaccine of nothing. LOL. Seriously I always have side effects with the flu vaccine and this year not even a sore arm. We got it at our internist's office this year. His nurse gave it to us and it was a huge needle. But we didn't experience even a sore arm so I am not doing it there ever again. I am almost sure we got a vaccine of nothing. ::)

Hope you are feeling all better today Karl.

margauxmines

Shiny_Rock
I agree completely with you @margauxmines and I am very sorry you don't have a sufficient vaccine supply in the Philippines. It is a crime that we have more than we are using and you have people clamoring for them. Unacceptable.
And yes, some people just don't get it. On so many levels. It is a real shame. :(

I hope you can get all the vaccines you need soon.

Thank you! :)

Yeah I'm not going to lie, it is pretty bad over here. I think we only started vaccinating in May 2021; months after many other countries had already started. And at the time, the only vaccine available here was the China-made Sinovac. We didn't even start getting AstraZeneca until July or August... since then other brands have slowly trickled in, but nowhere near enough supply to vaccinate everyone. At one point, people who had gotten the first dose of Sinovac/AZ had to wait longer than the prescribed period in between doses because there just weren't enough vaccines.

In fact, it's a "status symbol" here to have received a Western-made vaccine like AZ or Moderna—J&J is a reaaal jackpot, people will ooh and aah when they hear you've gotten J&J. :lol: The overwhelming supply of vaccines here are still Sinovac and Sputnik. We don't even expect to see any Novavax until 2022.

I'm lucky I got vaccinated through my company. I work for a large conglomerate in the PH—important because in the PH, private companies, especially large ones, are expected to partake in the "buy 1, donate 1" scheme: buy 1 set of doses, donate 1 set of doses to the government. So you'd have to buy twice as much as you really need. Of course this is all because of the government corruption but that's another thread lol

Anyway, if anyone made it through this mini-rant, I just want to say: First, if you have the opportunity to get vaxxed and to get a booster, please do it. You are so, so lucky. You have no idea how lucky you are to be in a country with a functioning healthcare system and a government that has secured vaccine supplies for you.

Second (and lastly, actually!), please don't forget that for many of us around the world, the pandemic isn't over yet. I'm sure lockdowns are easing in many of your countries, but there are still many places where the thought of a "post-COVID" world is so farfetched, it's almost insane to think about. :lol:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you! :)

Yeah I'm not going to lie, it is pretty bad over here. I think we only started vaccinating in May 2021; months after many other countries had already started. And at the time, the only vaccine available here was the China-made Sinovac. We didn't even start getting AstraZeneca until July or August... since then other brands have slowly trickled in, but nowhere near enough supply to vaccinate everyone. At one point, people who had gotten the first dose of Sinovac/AZ had to wait longer than the prescribed period in between doses because there just weren't enough vaccines.

In fact, it's a "status symbol" here to have received a Western-made vaccine like AZ or Moderna—J&J is a reaaal jackpot, people will ooh and aah when they hear you've gotten J&J. :lol: The overwhelming supply of vaccines here are still Sinovac and Sputnik. We don't even expect to see any Novavax until 2022.

I'm lucky I got vaccinated through my company. I work for a large conglomerate in the PH—important because in the PH, private companies, especially large ones, are expected to partake in the "buy 1, donate 1" scheme: buy 1 set of doses, donate 1 set of doses to the government. So you'd have to buy twice as much as you really need. Of course this is all because of the government corruption but that's another thread lol

Anyway, if anyone made it through this mini-rant, I just want to say: First, if you have the opportunity to get vaxxed and to get a booster, please do it. You are so, so lucky. You have no idea how lucky you are to be in a country with a functioning healthcare system and a government that has secured vaccine supplies for you.

Second (and lastly, actually!), please don't forget that for many of us around the world, the pandemic isn't over yet. I'm sure lockdowns are easing in many of your countries, but there are still many places where the thought of a "post-COVID" world is so farfetched, it's almost insane to think about. :lol:

Big hugs to you @margauxmines
And fwiw I don't think anyone anywhere in the world is free of the pandemic yet. I don't know anyplace yet that is considered post Covid. We may be in different places vaccine wise and Covid wise but no place is yet Covid free. At least none that I know of...we have a long way to go and we really have to work together to end the pandemic. Every man woman and child for themselves (as some are doing) just won't cut it. If we don't work together and get vaccines everywhere they need to be this pandemic will be going on for a long time. We all have to be safe to end the pandemic. Not just the wealthiest countries. But every country. All people must get vaccinated for this to be a distant bad memory.

"Anyway, if anyone made it through this mini-rant, I just want to say: First, if you have the opportunity to get vaxxed and to get a booster, please do it. You are so, so lucky. You have no idea how lucky you are to be in a country with a functioning healthcare system and a government that has secured vaccine supplies for you."

Amen to this.

margauxmines

Shiny_Rock
Big hugs to you @margauxmines
And fwiw I don't think anyone anywhere in the world is free of the pandemic yet. I don't know anyplace yet that is considered post Covid. We may be in different places vaccine wise and Covid wise but no place is yet Covid free. At least none that I know of...we have a long way to go and we really have to work together to end the pandemic. Every man woman and child for themselves (as some are doing) just won't cut it. If we don't work together and get vaccines everywhere they need to be this pandemic will be going on for a long time. We all have to be safe to end the pandemic. Not just the wealthiest countries. But every country. All people must get vaccinated for this to be a distant bad memory.

Amen to this.

Well said!!! Everyone on this planet has a responsibility. <3

I'm glad PS is here—provides a short respite from the dumpster fire of the outside world! :D

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is so weird, this year for the first time ever when we got the flu vaccine we had no side effects. Not even a sore arm. Something doesn't feel right. I told Greg the nurse gave us a huge vaccine of nothing. LOL. Seriously I always have side effects with the flu vaccine and this year not even a sore arm. We got it at our internist's office this year. His nurse gave it to us and it was a huge needle. But we didn't experience even a sore arm so I am not doing it there ever again. I am almost sure we got a vaccine of nothing. ::)

Hope you are feeling all better today Karl.

Missy myself, DH, and Benjamin had the same experience with the flu shot this year and all three of us got it at different vendors. I think we may have just gotten lucky this year. I wish it were like this every year!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Missy myself, DH, and Benjamin had the same experience with the flu shot this year and all three of us got it at different vendors. I think we may have just gotten lucky this year. I wish it were like this every year!

Omg thanks for weighing in. I was convinced we got a placebo or something equally crazy.I have never had an experience like this before. I appreciate you letting me know as I truly thought we got nothing. Still wearing masks but would absolutely prefer not getting the flu. Last time I got the flu I was afraid I was dying and afraid I wouldn’t lol. It was that bad. :errrr:

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Update on my Pfizer/BioNTech booster that I had on Wednesday 17 November:

The pain around the injection site has subsided by yesterday; and it is now showing on my NHS app today 21 November.

>>>feeling grateful!

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
DH has a low fever after the Moderna booster. He feels fine, just tired. He still has a full day planned including a 90 minute bike ride. He has not felt the need to take any medication for it.

MrsBlue

Brilliant_Rock
My third shot hurt like heck. Gave me a hot, red bump and a swollen arm for days. The swelling went down but I still have a light bruise at the injection site.

Oddly I didn't get a fever or any exhaustion at all. Just the unhappy arm.

Wink

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Resa and I got ours this morning. So far we are not dead or sick...

Both my son and his wife have gotten their vaccines and last week she had a positive test, and yesterday my son received one too. No Thanksgiving with the kids this week, DARN! (That is not the word I am really using.)

Thank goodness, neither is really sick, just having a bad flu like day. The vaccines may not be 100% effective, but better than 90% is pretty great and so is the reduced seriousness of the disease.

Wink

April20

Ideal_Rock
We got our boosters today and our six year old is scheduled for the second shot on Saturday. Can't wait for the 4 year old to turn five and be able to receive it. I'm hoping they come out with one good for the under 5s before then.

My arm is a bit sore, but zero effects otherwise thus far. I got Moderna.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Should I Get My COVID Booster?​

— Here are the data that have experts convinced it's a good idea​

by Kristina Fiore, Director of Enterprise & Investigative Reporting, MedPage Today November 24, 2021

A mature man wearing a protective mask receives his COVID-19 booster shot in Florida.

COVID-19 booster shots are now available to everyone in the U.S. ages 18 and up. Gathered here are some of the data points as to why they're being highly recommended by numerous public health experts ahead of the holidays.
In addition to helping block transmission and potentially staving off yet another more transmissible variant, boosters appear to have individual benefits as well, mainly in terms of preventing infection.

The Pfizer/BioNTech booster, for instance, raises neutralizing antibody levels nearly fivefold over levels following the second dose, according to Eric Feigl-Ding, ScD, an epidemiologist with the Federation of American Scientists.
"This doesn't just put you on par again with your dose-2 level," Feigl-Ding told MedPage Today. "It's a catapult to a stratospheric level you weren't even close to before."
These data came from an October 21 Correspondence, mainly from Pfizer/BioNTech researchers, published in the New England Journal of Medicine. Though the sample size was small, with just over 20 participants, it showed that neutralizing antibody levels jumped significantly after a booster dose.
Against wild-type disease, geometric mean titers (GMT) rose from 387 one month after the second dose to 2,119 one month after the third dose for those ages 18 to 55, with a similar boost for those ages 65 to 85.
Increases were more muted against Delta, but still significant, with GMT rising from 241 one month after dose 2 to 1,321 one month after dose 3. Again, gains were similar for those ages 65 to 85.

These laboratory-based findings appear to hold up clinically, too, at least according to Pfizer's self-reported data. In an October 21 press release, the company reported a relative efficacy of 95.6% for its booster compared with a two-dose series -- with only five COVID cases in the booster group compared with 109 cases in the non-boosted group.
Moderna's data are a bit harder to come by, but a September 1 press releaseannouncing the initial submission of its booster data to the FDA (the company re-filed its application just 2 days before FDA authorized boosters-for-all) stated that neutralizing antibody titers "had waned significantly prior to boosting at approximately 6 months."
"A booster dose of mRNA-1273 at the 50 mcg dose level boosted neutralizing titers significantly above the phase 3 benchmark," the release stated.
In an FDA briefing document for the October 14 meeting of its Vaccines and Related Biological Products Advisory Committee (VRBPAC), neutralizing antibody levels were shown to increase significantly after a booster dose for both wild-type virus and the Delta variant with the Moderna shot.

For wild-type disease, GMT rose from 1,027 at 28 days after the second dose of the 100-mcg primary series to 1,803 following a 50-mcg booster (though the primary series included data from 1,053 people, while booster data included just 149 people).
For Delta, GMT jumped from 54.8 pre-vaccination to 872 after the booster for those ages 18 to 64, with similar increases for those ages 65 and up.
There are no publicly available clinical data on the efficacy of the Moderna booster.
When it comes to hospitalization and death, experts have largely noted that even just two doses of the mRNA vaccines are doing their job and protecting against these outcomes. Data from Israeli studies of the Pfizer/BioNTech vaccine suggested that booster shots do help protect against severe illness and death as well.
An Israeli study of about 1.1 million people ages 60 and up, reported in the New England Journal of Medicine on October 7, found a lower rate of both infection and severe illness in those who had a booster dose.

From July 30 to August 31, there were 4,439 infections and 294 cases of severe illness among those who were not boosted, compared with 934 infections and 29 cases of severe illness among those who got a booster.
Another Israeli case-control study published October 29 in The Lancet involving younger patients (median age 52) showed similar results. It included data from Clalit Health Services -- which provides mandatory healthcare coverage for more than half of the Israeli population -- on some 728,000 people who'd been boosted and matched them with non-boosted controls.
Vaccine efficacy was 93% in preventing hospital admission (231 events in the non-boosted group vs 29 events in the boosted group), 92% for preventing severe disease (157 vs 17 events), and 81% for preventing death (44 vs 7 events).
Event rates may seem small overall, but there are large differences between those groups. Still, it seems to be the infection rates that regulators are focused on. In his Thanksgiving blog post, NIH Director Francis Collins, MD, PhD, said that people shouldn't wait to get their booster.
"The booster is the best way to defend against a possible winter surge," he noted.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Apart from the sore arm which was to be expected, I did not have any other obvious side effects.

>>>feeling grateful.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results