shape
carat
color
clarity

Will you get the Covid 19 Booster vaccine when it is available to you?

Will you get the booster?

• 1. Yes

Votes: 181 82.3%
  • 2. No

Votes: 29 13.2%
  • 3. Undecided

Votes: 10 4.5%

• Total voters

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
@Gussie I know you had your antibodies tested before a trip…and it came back zero. Have you had your antibodies rechecked since you received the other dose? It was technically an added dose and not a booster. Are you going to get the booster after six months? I’m trying to decide what I should do in March. I’m afraid to get the antibody test. If it’s zero I would be scared visiting my mom in her nursing home. They remain open even with positive cases..It hasn’t hit her floor so I still
visit her. There are common elevators so it could be lingering in there..It’s a little disturbing to say the least.
There’s been only one positive case for the elderly residents..All the others have been staff.

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@MamaBee, I am the crazy woman who would be spraying Lysol in the elevator. It’s nerve wracking trying to do everything we can think of to keep our parents safe. It must be really stressful for you. My parents haven’t been very cautious. This past year and half has been an exercise in accepting there really isn’t much I can do if they refuse to adapt to doing what will keep them safe.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
@MamaBee, I am the crazy woman who would be spraying Lysol in the elevator. It’s nerve wracking trying to do everything we can think of to keep our parents safe. It must be really stressful for you. My parents haven’t been very cautious. This past year and half has been an exercise in accepting there really isn’t much I can do if they refuse to adapt to doing what will keep them safe.

@Calliecake I thought about doing that! Breathing in Lysol fumes in the elevator doesn’t sound healthy either! :lol:

I’m sorry your parents haven’t been cautious. I have the same worry about my husband. He wears a mask but makes unnecessary trips to stores. He‘s still working..He postponed his retirement another month. I’m holding my breath he doesn’t bring it home. He gets mad at me when I repeat thst Covid is very much still out there. It’s frustrating.

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@MamaBee huggles

On the bright side it does appear that the vaccine does work so he'll likely be ok!

Gussie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Gussie I know you had your antibodies tested before a trip…and it came back zero. Have you had your antibodies rechecked since you received the other dose? It was technically an added dose and not a booster. Are you going to get the booster after six months? I’m trying to decide what I should do in March. I’m afraid to get the antibody test. If it’s zero I would be scared visiting my mom in her nursing home. They remain open even with positive cases..It hasn’t hit her floor so I still
visit her. There are common elevators so it could be lingering in there..It’s a little disturbing to say the least.
There’s been only one positive case for the elderly residents..All the others have been staff.

I have not had an antibody test again. I should have plenty now though. I tested positive last night (at home antigen test). My daughter was sick this week and was tested on Wednesday. Since there is an upsurge and the labs are backed up I haven't got the results of her pcr test yet. She was feeling better and wanted to go back to school. So I gave her an at home test. I didn't expect it to be positive since she has no symptoms. But it was! I decided to take the other test and mine was positive too. I had a headache earlier this week but no other symptoms. Hopefully we both stay well.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have not had an antibody test again. I should have plenty now though. I tested positive last night (at home antigen test). My daughter was sick this week and was tested on Wednesday. Since there is an upsurge and the labs are backed up I haven't got the results of her pcr test yet. She was feeling better and wanted to go back to school. So I gave her an at home test. I didn't expect it to be positive since she has no symptoms. But it was! I decided to take the other test and mine was positive too. I had a headache earlier this week but no other symptoms. Hopefully we both stay well.

Oh no @Gussie! TG you got your booster! I hope you get better quickly..It sounds like you and your daughter have a mild case. What home test did you use? I bought eight boxes of tests..so 16..I’m going to test everyone right before Christmas.

wildcat03

Brilliant_Rock

Oh no! There was discussion that a lot of the vaccine efficacy is from Memory T cells (I think) rather than actual circulating antibodies. So, the antibodies may fend off symptomatic infection or even prevent infection, but the memory cells are what work to prevent severity of infection. Wishing you a quick and easy recovery.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh no! There was discussion that a lot of the vaccine efficacy is from Memory T cells (I think) rather than actual circulating antibodies. So, the antibodies may fend off symptomatic infection or even prevent infection, but the memory cells are what work to prevent severity of infection. Wishing you a quick and easy recovery.

@wildcat03 I read that too. That’s very hopeful for people that don’t register an antibody response. I’m afraid to get the test. I have to visit my mom in a nursing home where there are covid cases on different floors. They keep the whole nursing home open. They display yellow signs that warn of possible covid exposure on floors that have it. If I had zero antibodies I would be terrified to visit my mom. I hate to have to use the elevator.

wildcat03

Brilliant_Rock
@wildcat03 I read that too. That’s very hopeful for people that don’t register an antibody response. I’m afraid to get the test. I have to visit my mom in a nursing home where there are covid cases on different floors. They keep the whole nursing home open. They display yellow signs that warn of possible covid exposure on floors that have it. If I had zero antibodies I would be terrified to visit my mom. I hate to have to use the elevator.

Would you consider wearing an N95 and eye protection/face shield? This is what I have worn for hundreds (thousands?) of patient encounters since 3/2020 and I have not been sick from work yet (I have had two non-COVID preschool colds courtesy of my daughter).

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@MamaBee, Can you ask if there is a stairwell you can use? I always use the stairwell at the doctors office. There is never anyone in the stairwell. it’s a larger area and It just makes me feel safer to use. As @Wildcat suggested the face shields is added protection as well. I started double masking again in stores now that cases are up. Please just do what makes you feel the most comfortable.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Would you consider wearing an N95 and eye protection/face shield? This is what I have worn for hundreds (thousands?) of patient encounters since 3/2020 and I have not been sick from work yet (I have had two non-COVID preschool colds courtesy of my daughter).

Thank you @wildcat03 The nursing staff there are so relaxed..masks hanging off their faces. They love my mom so they keep hugging her with a mask under their chin. I would get some weird looks if I did that. I don’t know that I can wear an N95. I wear the kn95 masks. They still look at me like I’m over-worrying. At the least I’ll order some N95 masks to see if I can tolerate them. I tried a few times..I felt like I was smothering. My mom doesn’t wear a mask at all..It’s so frustrating.
I‘m so happy you and your family are safe.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
@MamaBee, Can you ask if there is a stairwell you can use? I always use the stairwell at the doctors office. There is never anyone in the stairwell. it’s a larger area and It just makes me feel safer to use. As @Wildcat suggested the face shields is added protection as well. I started double masking again in stores now that cases are up. Please just do what makes you feel the most comfortable.

Thank you @Calliecake. The stairwells are closed..:wall:Its so hard because my husband, son, and mother all think I’m overreacting.
I went to visit her today to wipe down her room with disinfectant..and change her sheets. My oldest son only brought a loose blue mask. I pulled a new kn95 mask out of my purse and made him wear it. It kept sliding down his face. I kept telling him to put it over his nose. My son, David, who has Autism gets the mask on by himself perfectly..under the chin..pinched at the nose. If he can do it I don’t understand why other people can’t manage putting it on correctly. I have a dent in my face when I take mine off. I knot the sides to make it really tight. Im so tired of being the mask enforcer.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Greg’s antibody test registered negative while mine is greater than 2500. I knew he was going to be low but I didn’t think he’d be negative. He had zero reaction to the vaccines. So yeah I’m concerned. While T cells etc are important so are antibodies to some degree.

Feel better Gussie and daughter! Healing vibes being sent your way.

wildcat03

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you @wildcat03 The nursing staff there are so relaxed..masks hanging off their faces. They love my mom so they keep hugging her with a mask under their chin. I would get some weird looks if I did that. I don’t know that I can wear an N95. I wear the kn95 masks. They still look at me like I’m over-worrying. At the least I’ll order some N95 masks to see if I can tolerate them. I tried a few times..I felt like I was smothering. My mom doesn’t wear a mask at all..It’s so frustrating.
I‘m so happy you and your family are safe.
That is all really frustrating!! The 3m Aura 9205 is, by far, the most tolerable N95 I’ve worn. I’ve tried almost all of them given the supply chain issues since 3/2020. It’s still hot and a bit uncomfortable but it’s a small price to pay when I spend hours in rooms with poorly masked COVID patients.

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Gussie, I’m sorry to read you and your daughter tested positive for Covid. Please take good care of yourself and your daughter.

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We just got notified TODAY that our son in kindergarten had a classmate test positive Wednesday. Um, thanks! I have rapids at home so we did one and it's thankfully negative. It's pretty much impossible to schedule a PCR right now since NY is surging. This is such a mess.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
That is all really frustrating!! The 3m Aura 9205 is, by far, the most tolerable N95 I’ve worn. I’ve tried almost all of them given the supply chain issues since 3/2020. It’s still hot and a bit uncomfortable but it’s a small price to pay when I spend hours in rooms with poorly masked COVID patients.
Thank you @wildcat03..I’m going to look for those n95 masks. I probably won’t wear the shield. If any Covid cases wind up in my mom’s floor I’ll stay away for two weeks. They quarantine them in their rooms.
I almost feel like we’re starting at the beginning again.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
It does feel like we are starting at the beginning again. I’m considering going back to having our grocery’s delivered again or using curbside pick up. I’m wondering how much more our healthcare professionals can take.

I’ve been doing that for a while now. Occasionally I will go to a grocery store..but it may be once a month. I will go next week to get things in for Christmas.
There’s a surge at the hospitals near me..I worry that healthcare workers will quit because they’ve had enough. I don’t blame them..It’s scary though..I’m usually a good coper but it’s wearing on me.

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It’s wearing on many of us @MamaBee . Our hospitals are having surges as well. I can only imagine how hard and frustrating this all is for hospital and healthcare workers.

Thank you @wildcat03 for all you do. I’m happy you are doing well.

josieKat

Shiny_Rock
Thank you @wildcat03..I’m going to look for those n95 masks. I probably won’t wear the shield. If any Covid cases wind up in my mom’s floor I’ll stay away for two weeks. They quarantine them in their rooms.
I almost feel like we’re starting at the beginning again.

You could also try the kf94, which are the Korean version of the k95. I’ve used the ones from AirQueen for teaching all semester and just ordered the highly reviewed ones from BOTN that have easily adjustable sides. They are lighter weight than the kn95 and look more like a regular mask, and you can reuse them up to 30 or so hours total.

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
I'm going to take me to BOOSTER ToooOOOoooWN!
This afternoon.
vector-dancing.gif
Finally.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
You could also try the kf94, which are the Korean version of the k95. I’ve used the ones from AirQueen for teaching all semester and just ordered the highly reviewed ones from BOTN that have easily adjustable sides. They are lighter weight than the kn95 and look more like a regular mask, and you can reuse them up to 30 or so hours total.

Thank you! I have some somewhere..Inhabe so many masks it’s crazy!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you! I have some somewhere..Inhabe so many masks it’s crazy!

Joanne, I don't remember where you wrote to me about the face shields. The brand name isnt on them unfortunately. Just make sure whatever you get covers a bit past your neck for best protection and around the sides. There are many to choose from and if I have time later I will search for you to find a good one. But they aren't expensive and can be a good addition to masks. I like the KN95 and KF94 and the Air Queen masks. I have to alter them to make them a snugger fit for my little head lol but it's easy to do that. Those are my favorites.

I'm going to take me to BOOSTER ToooOOOoooWN!
This afternoon.
vector-dancing.gif
Finally.

YAY good luck!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
the govt just reduced the weight time down to 4 months after 2nd vax so Gary should be able to get it now

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A friend had his booster last Thursday, and he tested positive using a home LFT kit yesterday. He is having a PCR test today to confirm if he definitely has Covid-19 or not.

I really felt sorry for him when he rang to tell me, as I was planning to drop off the festive goodies bags for him and his wife, and his son and his DIL who live in a separate building within their estate close by.

His wife has been tested negative using a home LFT kit yesterday.

He baby-sat his 2yo grandchild regularly including past few days.

His MIL also lives in a separate building within the estate (it is formerly a farm with a number of outbuildings).

His festive celebrations are effectively ruined..

I am still popping over to theirs to drop off the goodies bags as I was not planning to stop in the first place, and shall drop them off outside his house by the back door.

Stay safe everyone, and please remember having the booster does not give you the additional protection right away!

DK :(2

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results