shape
carat
color
clarity

Will you get the Covid 19 Booster vaccine when it is available to you?

Will you get the booster?

• 1. Yes

Votes: 181 82.3%
  • 2. No

Votes: 29 13.2%
  • 3. Undecided

Votes: 10 4.5%

• Total voters

mommylawyer

Brilliant_Rock
My sister did. She is over 40 and she got all three Pfizer vaccines. She got sick with the second and the third. She ran a fever of 102 and was nauseous. But after 24 hours she was almost all better. She did it on a weekend so she would be off from work and she said she was glad she did it that way. Good luck with your booster.

Thanks so much for this. I'll try to get it before I leave for the holidays.

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yup.. right now (surprise!) :) I just got back from Hawaii and have bronchitis and a sinus infection and feel really crummy BUT I will get the Moderna when I feel better. Husband already got 3rd :) Oahu, first day. rainbow.jpg

Demon

Brilliant_Rock
Yup.. right now (surprise!) :) I just got back from Hawaii and have bronchitis and a sinus infection and feel really crummy BUT I will get the Moderna when I feel better. Husband already got 3rd :) Oahu, first day. rainbow.jpg

Looks like a beautiful vacation! Hope you feel better soon.

Did your husband get the full dose of Moderna? Any bad (as in worse than the normal) side effects?

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Did anyone over 40 get very nauseous with the Pfizer booster?

I got AZ for my first two shots, and I had no side effects. My daughter had some nausea after her second Pfizer, but I read that it's worse for the younger crowd. I'm thinking about getting my Pfizer booster when I am back in the states for the holidays but I don't want to ruin my vacation.

Anyone get very sick with their Pfizer booster?
Not me. I got 3 Pfizer. Tired for a day after the second and third but nothing else.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

"

Beijing Begins Offering Booster Shots Ahead of Olympics​

China's capital Beijing has begun offering booster shots against COVID-19, four months before the city and surrounding regions are to host the Winter Olympics.

By Associated Press

Oct. 22, 2021, at 12:25 a.m.

BEIJING (AP) — China’s capital Beijing has begun offering booster shots against COVID-19, four months before the city and surrounding regions are to host the Winter Olympics.
Anyone 18 or older who have received two-dose Chinese vaccines and belong to at-risk groups, including those participating, organizing or working on games facilities, would be eligible for the additional shot, state media reported Friday.

The booster has been rolling out in cities across the vast nation since late September, but Beijing authorities have been extra cautious in who receives the extra jab.
The games are set to begin on Feb. 4 with only residents of China allowed in the stands. Indoor events with sliding, skiing and jumping will be held in the suburb of Yanqing and the neighboring city of Zhangjiakou.
China has been largely successful in preventing local transmission through strict requirements on mask wearing, quarantining and contact tracing. Cases continue to pop up however, with 28 new ones reported Friday, including one in the Beijing suburb of Fengtai.

The pandemic is believed to have originated in the central Chinese city of Wuhan in late 2019, leading to a total lockdown that affected more than 50 million people.
China has been accused of covering up the initial outbreak and stymying investigations into the coronavirus' origins, although it said earlier this week that it would cooperate with a renewed investigation by the World Health Organization while “firmly opposing any forms of political manipulation.”
WHO on Wednesday released a proposed list of 25 experts to advise it on next steps in the search for the virus’ origins after its earlier efforts were attacked for going easy on China.

"

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Summing up the week's Covid and booster highlights FYI.​

Cases Jump in Germany; Thailand Relaxes Quarantine: Virus Update​

Updated October 22, 2021 5:36 AM EDT

In Europe, Germany recorded its steepest one-day increase in new coronavirus cases in more than five months. Meanwhile, a majority of Swiss are seen backing a law allowing the government to issue Covid-19 certificates for entry into theaters and restaurants ahead of a national vote.

Thailand will soon allow inoculated travelers from the U.S., U.K. and most of Europe to enter without quarantining, boosting its tourism-dependent economy. Cases doubled in China from a day earlier.

Pfizer-BioNTech Booster Shot Restores Full Covid Protection​

By
Naomi Kresge

Pfizer Inc. and BioNTech SE said a booster shot of their Covid-19 vaccine restored full protection in a large study, results that are likely to bolster the argument for giving a third dose more widely.

A booster was 95.6% effective against symptomatic Covid in the study, which followed 10,000 people aged 16 and older, the companies said in a statement Thursday. The fast-spreading delta variant was the predominate strain during the trial.

Britain’s Economy Finds Out What It Means to Live With Covid​

By
David Goodman
and
Emily Ashton

After 19 months spent attempting to ward off Covid-19 while safeguarding jobs and businesses, the U.K. is heading into winter with a growing problem: The coronavirus is spreading rapidly, just as the economy starts going in the opposite direction.

As U.K. Covid Cases Surge, Israel Offers Lesson in Boosters​

By
Gwen Ackerman

As Covid-19 cases soar again in the U.K., officials could look to a country that’s moved past a similar crisis for a possible roadmap.

The search for answers in Israel may be useful, health experts say, because both countries were among the fastest in the world with their vaccination programs, yet were similarly quick to lift lockdown restrictions. And just as Israel experienced a spike in cases in June, so the U.K. is now, having just reported the biggest single daily jump in infections in three months.

Lockdowns Are Back as East EU Pays for Low Vaccination Rates​

By
Aaron Eglitis

The coronavirus is resurgent in the European Union’s less-vaccinated east -- bringing with it the return of lockdowns.
Latvia on Wednesday became the bloc’s first member state to once again shut down chunks of its economy as soaring infections -- the world’s highest per capita during the past week -- threaten to overwhelm hospitals.

U.S. Approves Mixing of Boosters; NYC Shot Mandate: Virus Update​

U.S. regulators approved the mixing of booster shots and also cleared extra doses of the vaccines made by Moderna Inc. and Johnson & Johnson. The White House outlined a plan to vaccinate younger children once the shots are cleared, focusing on smaller doses given with smaller needles.

New York City will mandate vaccination and eliminate a testing option for all municipal employees, including police and firefighters. The Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation will donate as much as $120 million to widen global access to Merck & Co.’s promising pill to treat Covid-19.

Covid Cases Are Soaring in Britain Again. Why?​

The country’s full-speed approach to lifting restrictions has certainly contributed to a spike in infections. But that’s only part of the picture.

Once again Britain has one of the highest rates of Covid infection anywhere. The U.K. just reported its biggest single day Covid case increase in three months and a 16% increase in confirmed cases in the week to Oct. 18. The government has warned of a bad winter.

Think Everything’s Expensive Now? Wait Until You See What’s Next​

By
Thomas Mulier

October 22, 2021, 12:00 AM EDT

Unilever joins chorus of companies announcing price increases Pricing power returns for Nestle, Danone, Procter & Gamble

Supply Lines is a daily newsletter that tracks Covid-19’s impact on trade.

Consumers around the world are about to get socked with even higher prices on everyday items, companies from food giant Unilever Plc to lubricant maker WD-40 Co. warned this week as they grapple with supply difficulties.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
DH just got his booster a few hours ago. Went with Pfizer again. As with the other two, he is upstairs sleeping already.

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just got hubby's booster scheduled...I go to the doctor November 1st going to see if I can get a booster than if not then I will schedule mine and our son's...we all have asthma so we are all eligible....

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
I'm trying to decide if I'm going to get Pfizer or Moderna for my booster. Most places have Pfizer but Moderna is available at two places.
I had Pfizer for my first 2 shots so I am leaning towards Moderna.

hmm walgreens will not let you schedule for a different booster than your second dose unless you had j&j.

Last edited:

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
How are the Moderna symptoms?

Pfizer didn't affect me at all so I'm tempted to go for it again but apparently it's even better if I mix and match.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade

Pfizer didn't affect me at all so I'm tempted to go for it again but apparently it's even better if I mix and match.
A relative in Canada had both Moderna and Pfizer for her first and second shot with a sore arm with both. Actually a lot of people did there.
Overall I think I know more people who had more of a reaction with Moderna.
Then again some studies have shown that Moderna may have a slightly higher efficiency. Which could be a result of having more side effects when given.
I dunno its kind of a toss up and a great thing to have that potent of vaccines available.
Until they came along 50% efficiency was considered a great vaccine.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
It looks like to me that Moderna is going to be a 1/2 dose for a booster vs full dose of Pfizer.
If that's the case im just going to get the Pfizer if I verify that..

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It looks like to me that Moderna is going to be a 1/2 dose for a booster vs full dose of Pfizer.

Yes Moderna booster will be half dose compared to the first 2 Moderna vaccines.

I think the mixing and matching is more for the different technology vaccines vs two mrna vaccines. So not sure you will get benefit from mixing Moderna and Pfizer but rather there is a benefit if you mix J&J with Moderna or Pfizer.

Overall I think I know more people who had more of a reaction with Moderna.

Yes, I believe this is true. One of the reasons is the initial two doses of Moderna have more material in it than the Pfizer dose does. I believe that lends itself to more reactions to the vaccine but also, might lend itself to a bit better protection against Delta for instance. But they are both good vaccines and getting both doses of either plus a booster is definitely beneficial to protecting one against Covid vs not getting it.

@TooPatient @rcjtraveler @diamondringlover congrats. Glad your DHs are getting/got the booster.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
FYI @mellowyellowgirl and anyone else who is interested in mixing boosters.

"For individuals initially vaccinated with the J&J vaccine, this mix-and-match strategy may be particularly beneficial, as a preliminary study conducted by the NIH showed that receiving either a Pfizer or Moderna booster is more effective in boosting immunity than a J&J booster among those fully vaccinated with J&J. At 15 days after getting a booster, binding and neutralizing antibody titers respectively increased 5-fold and 4-fold with a J&J booster, but 33-fold and 35-fold with a Pfizer booster, and a whopping 56-fold and 76-fold with Moderna booster (full-dose). Side effects of the boosters were similar to those reported with the primary series of the respective vaccine, although the study was too small and short-term to evaluate rare side effects (Latmar, medRxiv 2021 — preprint)."

And the case for boosters in general.

"How much protection might boosters provide? According to Pfizer and BioNTech, evidence from a phase 3 clinical trial among more than 10,000 people age 16 and older who had been fully vaccinated with the Pfizer vaccine about 11 months earlier showed that a booster dose of the Pfizer vaccine had 95.6% efficacy against symptomatic COVID-19 within 7 days to 2.5 months after the booster was given compared to placebo. There were 109 cases of symptomatic COVID-19 among approximately 5,000 people who did not receive a booster (placebo group), while there were only 5 cases among a similar number of people who received the Pfizer booster."

"Why more than 6 months? Research shows that the vaccines protect against severe infection and hospitalization through six months, but there is evidence that efficacy against infection may begin to decline at around six months after the second dose — although having a longer duration between vaccine doses may help provide stronger and more persistent immunoprotection, as it gives the immune system time to mature (i.e., improve the quality of antibodies)."

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We got our Moderna booster shots recently. Our first 2 shots were also Moderna.

Side effects were even milder than after our 2nd shot: sore arm, slight fatigue the following day. Not a big deal.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Yes Moderna booster will be half dose compared to the first 2 Moderna vaccines.
Thank you for confirming that.
I'm going to get the Pfizer.

wildcat03

Brilliant_Rock
Looking forward to my Moderna booster. Probably going to space it from my flu shot only because I have an infant at home and am still waking up at all hours of the night so can't really afford to feel super crummy. (I felt really bad for a day after my 2nd dose of Moderna)

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I got my Pfizer booster 3 weeks ago. No real side effects other than a bit of a sore arm and tired the next day. However, I got my flu shot yesterday and my arm was really, really sore (much more so than the Covid shot) and I feel tired today too. I've never had any reaction to a flu shot before. Glad I didn't get both shots on the same day!

Demon

Brilliant_Rock
Looking forward to my Moderna booster. Probably going to space it from my flu shot only because I have an infant at home and am still waking up at all hours of the night so can't really afford to feel super crummy. (I felt really bad for a day after my 2nd dose of Moderna)

I had a pretty strong reaction to the first Moderna- fever, couldn't sleep, run down for a couple day. The second was much worse - sick for a few days.

I got the booster Saturday and I was prepared for a reaction like the second Moderna, but it was much less. Had a fever of about 99.7 & trouble sleeping, but not like the first 2 shots. Sick yesterday, but fine today.

Demon

Brilliant_Rock
I got my Pfizer booster 3 weeks ago. No real side effects other than a bit of a sore arm and tired the next day. However, I got my flu shot yesterday and my arm was really, really sore (much more so than the Covid shot) and I feel tired today too. I've never had any reaction to a flu shot before. Glad I didn't get both shots on the same day!

I don't know if it was the flu shot or my second pneumonia shot, but both my arms were really sore (especially the one that got the pneumonia shot), and I was really achy for a couple of days.

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am now scheduled for both the flu shot and covid booster next monday....I am on vacation that week....sounds like I might need it lol....

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Fourth Shot for Immune Compromised; Gain-of-Function Revisited; ER Visits Swell​

— A daily roundup of news on COVID-19 and the rest of medicine​

by Judy George, Senior Staff Writer, MedPage Today October 27, 2021

COVID-19 UPDATE and Other News over a background of illustrated coronaviruses

The CDC updated its guidelines to say that moderately or severely immunocompromised people who received an additional dose of mRNA COVID-19 vaccine may receive a booster 6 months after their third shot.
The 2020 election distracted the Trump team from curbing the pandemic, leaving more than 130,000 people to die unnecessarily, former White House coronavirus response coordinator Deborah Birx, MD, told congressional investigators. (Washington Post)

While former Trump COVID advisor Scott Atlas, MD, slammed Birx for her testimony as "an Orwellian attempt to rewrite history." (Fox News)

As of Wednesday at 8 a.m. EDT, the unofficial U.S. COVID toll was 45,616,157 cases and 738,883 deaths, increases of 69,548 cases and 1,512 deaths versus this time a day ago.

Ocugen submitted an investigational new drug application with the FDA to start a trial comparing immune responses of the Covaxin COVID-19 vaccine candidate in the U.S. with results from India.

More than 3.84 billion people worldwide have received a dose of a COVID-19 vaccine, equal to about 50% of the global population. (New York Times)

People with a history of severe allergic reactions to drugs and vaccines received both doses of mRNA COVID-19 inoculations safely, a study of healthcare workers showed. (JAMA Network Open)

COVID's unknown origins has reignited a contentious debate about gain-of-function research. Nature looks at its history and what it means.

With Apple's iOS 15.1 update, iPhone users can add their COVID vaccine card to their Apple Wallet. (USA Today)

Some physicians are turning to practices that combine concierge medicine with charity care. (KHN)

Amazon is putting its virtual assistant Alexa next to patients' beds at Boston Children's, Houston Methodist, and other hospitals. (Business Insider)

Eli Lilly started applying for FDA approval of its investigational Alzheimer's drug donanemab, expecting a decision in the second half of 2022. (Reuters)

Cortexyme's atuzaginstat, an investigational drug designed to combat Alzheimer's by targeting gingipain proteases from P. gingivalis, failed to meet its coprimary endpoints but the company "is actively engaging with regulators."

CDC confirmed that a multistate outbreak of melioidosis was caused by an aromatherapy spray sold at Walmart.

Cleveland Clinic researchers opened a study for a vaccine aimed at preventing triple-negative breast cancer.

Once-empty ERs are swamped now with seriously ill patients, many of whom don't have COVID. (NPR)

Cruise ships will be allowed to lift COVID-19 restrictions after January 15, the CDC said. (Forbes)

Business groups have asked the White House to wait until after the holiday shopping season to implement President Biden's COVID vaccine mandate. (CNBC)

The FDA authorized the 10th over-the-counter COVID-19 test, and reissued the emergency use authorization for another.

Last Updated October 27, 2021

oakleaf

Shiny_Rock
Thank you for confirming that.
I'm going to get the Pfizer.
The half dose of Moderna is 50 micrograms of mRNA vs the full dose Pfizer is 30 micrograms.

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock

It is going to be a half dose........but the full dose of Moderna is 100 mcg vs. full dose Pfizer at 30 mcg.

So, half-dose of Moderna at 50 mcg will still be more than full dose Pfizer.

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
I had Moderna for the first 2 shots and just got Pfizer for the booster. That's all that was available at the time where I went to get it so I just went for it.

GreenPapaya

Brilliant_Rock
I just got the booster and flu shot on Monday. Same arm. A few cms apart. All of my covid shots are Pfizer. I started having pains under the vaccinated arm and down the side within 12 hours. And now I'm running a low fever (~100). We got an email this morning that my son's classmate tested positive. But also I usually get a fever when temps change... so... not really sure what causes what. I'm tempted to call in sick and just sleep in tomorrow.

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is going to be a half dose........but the full dose of Moderna is 100 mcg vs. full dose Pfizer at 30 mcg.

So, half-dose of Moderna at 50 mcg will still be more than full dose Pfizer.

I got my Moderna booster about 9 hours ago. So far just a sore arm. The dose was .25 ML which converts to 250 micrograms. Does that make sense? :confused::confused:@Karl_K you’re better off sticking with Moderna if that was what your first 2 doses were.

Last edited:

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am hoping to get my booster in mid November, can't wait!

DK :))

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I got my Moderna booster about 9 hours ago. So far just a sore arm. The dose was .25 ML which converts to 250 micrograms. Does that make sense? :confused::confused:@Karl_K you’re better off sticking with Moderna if that was what your first 2 doses were.

This is the Summary of Product Characteristics (SmPC) of the Moderna vaccine as published in UK:

1635930099574.png

Therefore, 0.25ml would be a half dose containing 50mcg of the active ingredient.

DK :))

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results