color
clarity

Will you get the Coronavirus vaccine?

Will you get the Covid 19 vaccine?

• Total voters

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Or longer. Not being facetious here. We won't know until we know if you kwim. For me, within a reasonable amount of time I hope to decide to get it. Maybe 2 years. Maybe less. Maybe longer. Or if bad side effects become evident maybe never. Unfortunately like with many things there is no perfect solution/cure so there will most likely be a calculated risk no matter when one decides to get it or not get it. Either way it is a calculated risk. And just because one had Covid and didn't have severe symptoms doesn't mean if one gets it again they will have the same mild symptoms.

That's why I'm taking the approach of: Gotta be tough enough to either fight Covid or the vaccine.

I will take my chances with the vaccine. Oddly enough at this point I feel like "What will be will be" and just try to do reasonable/sensible things.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That's why I'm taking the approach of: Gotta be tough enough to either fight Covid or the vaccine.

I will take my chances with the vaccine. Oddly enough at this point I feel like "What will be will be" and just try to do reasonable/sensible things.

Exactly. We all have to make the best decisions for us and our family with also concern for our fellow human beings IMO. If too many people decide not to get the vaccine we might be in a whole bunch of trouble. My fervent wish is that the vaccine is incredibly safe and the great majority of people decide to get it.

scienceisreal.jpg

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just want to state explicitly that you would not get covid FROM an mRNA based vaccine. There is no whole virus going into your body.

What may happen is that people who get vaccinated may take zero precautions thereafter and become infected as no vaccination is 100% effective.

Some people say they get “sick” from vaccines that contain no live virus because their body’s immune reaction to the vaccine mimicks many of the symptoms of being sick (basically because it’s going through a similar process. Much of the experience of being sick is your body reacting to infection). But they do not become infected with the virus.

That being said there are cases of things like GBS related to vaccines which happens very rarely. In fact it’s more likely to happen in the setting of an actual infection. However because some of the stories have been so scary, people often over-represent the risk (this is just how brains tend to represent threat).

True we do not have long term safety studies on these vaccines but that can also be said of most recently developed medications that millions of people take daily without thinking about it. Similarly food additives, new plastics and materials, social media and brain development, etc. And I’m not trying to scare anyone, just pointing out that many of the things we consume or engage with are modern inventions that we don’t have decades of data on either, but that most of us judge to be safe enough to be worth the unknown 40 year risk (if there is any).

We also have no idea what long term implications of covid are even if you had a mild course. Hopefully nothing but we don’t know that, there may be subtle and lasting pulmonary, cardiac, and cognitive consequences that don’t become relevant until you’re 70. Nobody knows.

That being said if you choose not to get vaccinated for either preference or medical cause, please continue to socially distance and have good hand washing hygiene. Based on current polls it doesn’t seem enough people will opt in to provide herd immunity. Not even close. And you may be at more risk as communities give up efforts to enforce any mitigation behaviors. No more masks or crowd controls since i think they will lose popular support for it. I mean it already is super unpopular, continuing it even after an effective vaccination is released seems very unlikely. People will probably argue that a vaccine exists and is available and if you chose to not get it and get infected, well that’s a choice you made and that’s not reason to continue restrictions. (People tend not to account for people who cannot safely get it, sigh).

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My son got very sick with lung involvement in February. He had a fever, fatigue, breathing issues, and a severe headache. For months following, he had asthma issues. My husband and I both got wheezy for a few weeks after he was sick. We would never assume we had Covid-19. That would be irresponsible of us.

People are assuming the antibodies for Covid-19 are permanent. Everything I have read states they only last a short while. This means if you decide not to get vaccinated, you take your chances or decide to get infected over and over again. I would think eventually, you would get seriously ill or have long term effects. Studies have shown that one in five people who have had Covid are having mental health issues. The same numbers stand for heart issues. I think I would compare the numbers of long term effects to side effects from the vaccines and go from there.

Last edited:

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am last in line for the vaccine at 46 & in good health, but my mother is vulnerable & my contact with her has been minimal since March. If I can get to spend more time with her, then I'll take it sooner if i can.

As a general note, I'm all for safe, tried & tested vaccination. My daughters have had everything offered & also we took them to a private clinic last year for Meningitis B, after watching a friends child suffer horribly before dying from it aged 18.

ETA. I am currently a week into self isolation, after a child in my bubble at school tested positive - the whole year group is now at home until Wed 25th. I can't answer the door to take in deliveries & am trying to keep distance from the children & Mr T. It's frustrating & difficult. Not only am I not allowed off my property, even to go to the supermarket or for medicines, it's quite frankly bloody boring. I can't even go & stand on my mothers lawn for a chat, like I usually do. Give me the vaccine.

Last edited:

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, I would have it when it is offered to me.

I would have volunteered for the clinical trials, however, I did not qualify as a suitable candidate.

DK :))

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'll get the vaccine as soon as it's available. Being 60 years old, ex-cancer, and with badly controlled auto-immune, the idea of NOT getting it is just insane for me personally.

I'll be that person at the pharmacy 10 minutes before they open, knocking on the door and peering through the window, indicating to the people inside trying to ignore me that "I'm here for my shot, please!"

I've taken this lockdown seriously. I have to. Consequently, my life has been unspeakably small for months now. I'd like to be able to get on a plane, go to the shops, see my drs, go out for dinner - all while feeling I wasn't going to die. At least, not from Covid, anyway.

But as well as the vaccine, what I, personally, am really waiting for is an effective treatment. There's word that may become available in the spring. The vaccine PLUS a treatment is when we'll really turn the corner and the world will be come safe again.

I hope the world never goes through anything like this again in my lifetime. Once was enough; the Great Pandemic of 2020 - oh, how I will NOT miss you!

BTW, no vaccine is 100%. The new Covid one in 3rd stage trials with Moderna is 94.5%. If we all took that, we'd stop this thing dead in its tracks - not immediately, but within months. With all the pharmaceutical shit in my body these days, a vaccine is the LEAST of my worries. I was on Amiodorone for 6 years. Look THAT up, and it will make a Covid vaccine - ANY Covid vaccine - look like a walk in the park. Ever been on chemo? Radiation? I mean, seriously, huffing and puffing about the safety of a Covid vaccine is all well and good, but it really isn't logical, given the other things we do and take without thinking. All drugs have side effects. All strong drugs have the possibility of causing death. Expecting better from a Covid vaccine is unrealistic. But I'll tell you what I DONT want. I don't want to die from Covid. I don't want Covid-caused brain damage, or a Covid induced stroke. The risks from the vaccine are so much less than the risks from the disease.

Last edited:

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't mean to be cavalier.

Re scientific studies, can you link some? Because the ones linked above are not scientific and don't prove anything.

@barbie86 - the studies are out there. This is the sort of thing I'd normally look up for you. But I'm not well at the moment, so I'd advise you to look them up yourself. I find your attitude dangerous.

I see in the poll at the beginning of this thread that 66+% of responders will get the vaccine. 19-% are undecided - but I suspect will wait and see that it's safe, then get it also. 15% say they will not.

But that's ok. The 85% of us will protect the 15% of you by doing what you will not, and by forming herd immunity. And the world will become safe again regardless.

It's always been like this - more responsible people will carry the can, allowing people who don't do their scientific research, or who are too scared to take a leap of faith on science and want to indulge in conspiracy theories, to bang on about their suspicions, then proudly tell the rest of the world "I never took the vaccine! And look at me - I didn't get it!"

We'll be safe regardless. Roll on, 2021!

Last edited:

m-cubed

Shiny_Rock
My husband had it so bad it almost killed him, he still has fairly serious effects from it. He's been told he won't be able to get the vaccine because if it causes him even a mild case it would kill him now. I probably won't be able to get it either, unless I were to isolate from him for a couple weeks afterward. Going to have a long talk with his docs before I even consider it.

The two vaccines I talked about above - there is absolutely no way they can give you a case of COVID. They utilize one protein /part of protein out of 29 that the virus has. The vaccine cannot replicate and turn into virus - it doesn’t have the full genetic instructions. That’s just not how it works. This is not the type of vaccine where you take a full organism/virus and attenuate it to make it weaker.

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you for your very informative posts @m-cubed, it’s very reassuring. I had previously stated that I would wait to have the vaccine until I was absolutely sure it was safe, but now I’m of the opinion, I’d have it as soon as it’s available to me. My DH is older, so will be eligible for the vaccine probably quite a lot sooner than I will.

We have been extremely careful throughout this pandemic, abided by the rules, always wear a mask when we have to go out, and have tried not to complain about not seeing our only child since 29th December.

I can not understand people complaining about wearing a mask, how hard is it? I’ve even read ridiculous statements from people saying it was dangerous as you’re breathing in ‘bad’ air and it’ll kill you! :roll: I think the one thing this has shown us, is that there are plenty of people ready to believe everything they read or hear without doing any research at all.

My DS was just telling me on Monday about either an article he’d read or an interview he’d seen of a healthcare worker driving to work, drained and exhausted, ready to face another shift. She couldn’t believe what she was seeing, people queuing, unmasked and crowded together, to get in to a bar!!! WTF, I really struggle to understand how people still think it’s safe to do things like that.

My hope is that these vaccines are going to be available in the quantities needed to roll out the kind of programme necessary to get this under control.

When we’re finally through this, I fully expect to see plenty of denyers smugly saying that it was no big deal.

I truly hope that all the lovely PSers and their families get through this and remain safe and healthy.

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
I can not understand people complaining about wearing a mask, how hard is it? I’ve even read ridiculous statements from people saying it was dangerous as you’re breathing in ‘bad’ air and it’ll kill you! :roll: I think the one thing this has shown us, is that there are plenty of people ready to believe everything they read or hear without doing any research at all.

My DS was just telling me on Monday about either an article he’d read or an interview he’d seen of a healthcare worker driving to work, drained and exhausted, ready to face another shift. She couldn’t believe what she was seeing, people queuing, unmasked and crowded together, to get in to a bar!!! WTF, I really struggle to understand how people still think it’s safe to do things like that.

My hope is that these vaccines are going to be available in the quantities needed to roll out the kind of programme necessary to get this under control.

When we’re finally through this, I fully expect to see plenty of denyers smugly saying that it was no big deal.

I truly hope that all the lovely PSers and their families get through this and remain safe and healthy.

I struggle at times to even remain civil to the many people out there who seem intent on arrogantly, ignorantly, destroying all of our lives and our world in general, clinging to cult-like Jerry Springer level information sources while ignoring true expertise. It is surreal.

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’ve reminded people that the mask needs to be over their nose so many times, DH is worried incase someone gets nasty, but I’m past the point of caring. I haven’t given up months of my life for idiots to make this go on any longer than necessary @seaurchin.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I struggle at times to even remain civil to the many people out there who seem intent on arrogantly, ignorantly, destroying all of our lives and our world in general, clinging to cult-like Jerry Springer level information sources while ignoring true expertise. It is surreal.

I’ve reminded people that the mask needs to be over their nose so many times, DH is worried incase someone gets nasty, but I’m past the point of caring. I haven’t given up months of my life for idiots to make this go on any longer than necessary @seaurchin.

Same. It’s incredible how many people don’t give a damn about the welfare of others. :(

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I feel this

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium

What is this? Do people believe they aren’t breathing out of their noses? I want to know what is going through their minds when they don’t cover their noses.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What is this? Do people believe they aren’t breathing out of their noses? I want to know what is going through their minds when they don’t cover their noses.

They know. They don’t care. I went up to a young woman (mid 20s) who had her mask under her nose and asked her politely to please cover her nose with her mask. She grunted at me and walked away. We were at Costco. Where I hate to say I see employees also not wearing their masks over their noses.

SMH.

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’ve no idea @House Cat, I can only assume they’re part of the ‘breathing in bad air and will die’ brigade!

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I will get it as soon as it is available to me! I don't think Canada has ordered enough vaccines for everyone, so who knows where that puts it. Maybe it won't even be next year for some of us, it may be 2 years just for supply to reach everyone.

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’ve no idea @House Cat, I can only assume they’re part of the ‘breathing in bad air and will die’ brigade!

This is part of my (diagnosed OCD.). When I was a kid, I couldn’t have my head under the covers for fear of dying of carbon dioxide poisoning. I can wear a mask. Fear of dying of Covid is more prevalent than dying of carbon dioxide poisoning I guess...

I know..it makes no sense!

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is part of my (diagnosed OCD.). When I was a kid, I couldn’t have my head under the covers for fear of dying of carbon dioxide poisoning. I can wear a mask. Fear of dying of Covid is more prevalent than dying of carbon dioxide poisoning I guess...

I know..it makes no sense!

Makes all the sense in the world to me, @House Cat. Very sensible woman.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The two vaccines I talked about above - there is absolutely no way they can give you a case of COVID. They utilize one protein /part of protein out of 29 that the virus has. The vaccine cannot replicate and turn into virus - it doesn’t have the full genetic instructions. That’s just not how it works. This is not the type of vaccine where you take a full organism/virus and attenuate it to make it weaker.

#Halloscience

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am last in line for the vaccine at 46 & in good health, but my mother is vulnerable & my contact with her has been minimal since March. If I can get to spend more time with her, then I'll take it sooner if i can.

As a general note, I'm all for safe, tried & tested vaccination. My daughters have had everything offered & also we took them to a private clinic last year for Meningitis B, after watching a friends child suffer horribly before dying from it aged 18.

ETA. I am currently a week into self isolation, after a child in my bubble at school tested positive - the whole year group is now at home until Wed 25th. I can't answer the door to take in deliveries & am trying to keep distance from the children & Mr T. It's frustrating & difficult. Not only am I not allowed off my property, even to go to the supermarket or for medicines, it's quite frankly bloody boring. I can't even go & stand on my mothers lawn for a chat, like I usually do. Give me the vaccine.

I'm sorry @Alex T !! Hang in there!!!
The only funny part is that probably the Kids and DH will say they suffered more than mom - him having to take over the kids 100% and them being subjected to Daddy care and Daddy meals :lol: ;)2

MamaBear

Brilliant_Rock
No, I will not. Perhaps in the future, when I feel safer with the long term studies.

oakleaf

Shiny_Rock
Yes, I will get it as I am a health care worker. I do not take care of covid patients but I am someone that will be giving covid vaccines.
I am more worried about the logistics of giving 500 million doses of a vaccine than I am about any side effects.

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm sorry @Alex T !! Hang in there!!!
The only funny part is that probably the Kids and DH will say they suffered more than mom - him having to take over the kids 100% and them being subjected to Daddy care and Daddy meals :lol: ;)2

Nail on the head :lol: Today he has dropped them to school at 8.30am, collected the eldest at 11.30am, drove her all the way over the Liverpool for her yearly Endocrinologist appointment at 12.30pm, then blasted back to make sure he was on time to collect the other one from school at 3pm. In between, he has crammed video meeting after meeting & managed to do an interview. He actually said before that whilst our typical days are very different, my day can involve a ridiculous amount of running around & though he's always known that & FULLY appreciated he can crack on with work whilst I run the kids, the home & my part time job, he never realised how 'bloody messy' it is.

Meanwhile, today I got the kids out of the door with him this morning, did an online workout and then pretty much spent the rest of the day lying on the sofa watching Christmas movies :lol:

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nail on the head :lol: Today he has dropped them to school at 8.30am, collected the eldest at 11.30am, driven her all the way over the Liverpool for her yearly Endocrinologist appointment at 12.30pm, then blasted back to make sure he was on time to collect the other one from school at 3pm. In between, he has crammed video meeting after meeting & managed to do an interview. He actually said before that whilst our typical days are very different, my day can involve a ridiculous amount of running around & though he's always known that & FULLY appreciated he can crack on with work whilst I run the kids, the home & my part time job, he never realised how 'bloody messy' it is.

Meanwhile, today I got the kids out of the door with him this morning, did an online workout and then pretty much spent the rest of the day lying on the sofa watching Christmas movies :lol:
Excellent Alex!
Keep going with the movies, you deserve a break!!

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
I have absolutely no worries about the vaccine and have no reason to believe that it may be harmful. I'll get that shot as soon as I can.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results