shape
carat
color
clarity

Why the explosion in popularity of OEC diamonds?

Area57

Rough_Rock
Before reading this forum, I had only seen the OEC cut on a list of diamond facets. But now I see many threads dedicated to them and they seem to be in high demand.

I'm wondering if this has always been the case with diamond affiionados, or if this is a fad? And I don't mean fad in a bad way. I could say, that they are the current style. Just like I have heard marquise were very popular in the eighties. I think I am learning different cuts go throw bursts of popularity. Is this the time of the OEC? Or is it just a good way to get a big diamond for your money and diamond people, like those that do the research, and post on this forum, have always known this?

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like the colors emitted from an OEC vs the MRB. I have a new cut of a cushion from GOG an AVC and I love when it shines the pink or pastel blue.. I like my MRB 1.63 diamond but I would love a 3 ct AVR! (or a 2 ct AVR!!).. I am not sure but I don't think a OEC in higher color that emits the gorgeous colors and flowery pattern is any cheaper than a MRB, but others may know better.

peace.

kb1gra

Brilliant_Rock
Area57|1445500176|3940950 said:
Before reading this forum, I had only seen the OEC cut on a list of diamond facets. But now I see many threads dedicated to them and they seem to be in high demand.

I'm wondering if this has always been the case with diamond affiionados, or if this is a fad? And I don't mean fad in a bad way. I could say, that they are the current style. Just like I have heard marquise were very popular in the eighties. I think I am learning different cuts go throw bursts of popularity. Is this the time of the OEC? Or is it just a good way to get a big diamond for your money and diamond people, like those that do the research, and post on this forum, have always known this?

Precision cut OECs are more expensive than regular MRBs.

My PERSONAL feeling on the matter is it's a hipster type thing. Liking anything vintage is supremely cool at the moment. And the internet has made them a lot easier to find.

However, I think it's also limited. If you went and asked 10 couples shopping for an engagement ring and eliminated anyone who is on pricescope, weddingbee, etc, they would probably ask you what the heck an OEC is.

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Authentically old, OEC diamonds, have their own rather individual look while modern, precision cut ones have a consistent appearance but retail some of the best characteristics of less precisely cut antique stones. Both old and new cut OEC diamonds share a vast difference in visual appearance and appeal to their modern cut, EXEXEX and 000 versions. A minority of people want to wear something different and individual. The majority want to be in step with fashion and newness. Whether you want to swim with the current or against it, you can make a choice with the diamond you end up selecting for daily wear.

In the past several years, I have seen many halo style engagement rings. They are pretty, wearable and a reasonable choice, but they are a fashion statement which may change to some other style of the moment or the decade most any time. Fashion can be counted on to change no matter how great a style has been. I would not expect OEC faceting styles to become obsolete as they are a part of history and definitely have an individual character which sets them apart from the mainstream.

The explosion of popularity of what had been a smaller, niche market has come about because of the Internet and the ease of gaining information about alternative choices. Old cut diamonds hold a great deal of appeal for me, but so do finely cut modern cut diamonds. It is good to have some variety of choice and OEC stones can give a very good account of their light performance although they are not the same as modern Ideal cut stones in appearance.

AdaBeta27

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I think it's mostly how to get big diamond for the money, combined with how Pricescope and similar forums for diamonds and sim stones have broadened people's perspective to accept lower diamond colors, J or K or below. Probably from '60s through advent of Internet diamond vending, diamond retailers stressed high color (white or colorless) and size, and all diamonds were supposed to be very white if they were any good at all, lol. Pricescope discussions and Show Me The Ring introduced consumers to cut, and also to the various colors of diamonds. In the 12-15 years of PS, lower colors as in J and below became acceptable ways to get larger diamonds either for affordability or to harmonize with one's skin tone. And thanks to PS, a lot of people who had no idea what OEC or OMC, or English Brilliant, or European Cut (big table, shallow crown) were have been made aware of these older diamond styles, and some decided they preferred the look of the older cuts to the modern H&A or cushions.

But I would not say, by any stretch of the imagination, that it's the era of the OEC or anything close to that scale.

eta: One reason that there are loads of OECs in colors I or J and lower is that many of the colorless and near-colorless ones were recut into modern RB a long time ago, because they were worth more money that way. The J and lower colors had far less value in the era of "white" diamonds, so nobody bothered to recut them. I bought an OEC at a pawn shop in 1993. Back then, the public just considered them shabby old diamonds that few people were interested in, unless they came mounted in a gorgeous piece of antique jewelry. Before I had my diamond appraised, I had no idea what an OEC was. Mine is an I color. I bought it just because I liked the way it looked and it offered 1ct face up size for very little money. It was a cash & carry deal, lol.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's a combination of things for me. I like the way they look. The bigger facets (my eyes have gotten pretty bad) are much easier
for me to see. I also prefer the bigger flashes of fire (again, much easier for me to see). The faceting patterns are very appealing
to me. I love the petal look, checker board look and Kozibe effect...why...just because I do. I also like the idea that the stone
has been around a long time and has some sort of history (wish I knew the history of the OECs I currently own, but I dont). The lower
colors seem to be more romantic to me. I have an ungraded "I", so probably lower, and I love the color. My e-ring is a D colored
pear which I have stated in the past is too white/bright for me. I also enjoy the added benefit that they cost less so that I am able
to buy a larger stone with my measly diamond budget :(sad . I can assure you that I do not like them because I want to be "hip".
I'm too old to be hip :cheeky: ! As far as it being a fad? I think when I reach the size I want, I will probably move on to some other
shape of stone that I like but dont have. However, I dont think I will ever get rid of them to own something else instead because I
just like them too much (never say never though).

Edit - my "fad" before wanting an OEC was a perfect cut round h&a so I bought a small BGD stone. I love having it and wearing
the pendant its in, but if I had a choice to stare at a nice OEC vs an H&A, I would pick the OEC.

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Years ago on the forum which preceded this one I remember one of the recommended appraisers put up a photo of an OEC and everyone was like 'what is this and can you buy them?' and the reply was to not bother as they had poor light return, we wouldn't like them, not like ideal cut and they were all off color as the old white ones were owned by richer people who recut them due to the change to electric lighting. Then people started buying J color ideal cuts to get a bigger stone as we were told the ideal cut would mask J color but don't venture down to K color as it would not cover the tint. Then celebrities started getting old cut stones and a few started liking them in the lower color as they reminded them of brown lace curtains which had aged. At the same time loads of regulars left Pricescope partly due to the software upgrade and more joined to buy lower priced diamonds of eBay in 1 carat sizes cheaper and then some folk with more money started searching eBay for stones over 2 carat and businesses selling antique second hand diamonds started up and came onto the Pricescope vendor list. When the celebrities get onto something new which they did with coloured diamonds but most can't afford them in 1 carat and up so if another affordable fad comes along then it will probably change to that new fashion I would think.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Why?
Because OECs are beautiful.

... which begs the question, 'then why did they go out of style?'
In a word, marketing.
Companies want money, LOTS of it!

They brainwash into buying things we don't need, like kitchen remodels, THIS year's clothing fashion, a car with that cool CURRENT look instead of the sad and tired 10-year old look, another FCD! :mrgreen:
Even colors themselves go in an out of vogue.

If you only bought something when it wore out companies would not make as much money.
Then CEOs and stockholders could not buy their daughters new Porsches every year ... because she'd just die if her friends saw her in LAST year's car color. :roll:

solgen

Brilliant_Rock
OECs might be popular here but we account for a very small market share. Generally they still aren't popular and you rarely find them in jewelry stores. Cushions also seem popular here.

Yet the jewelry stores here push RBC, princess and the heart cuts. Finding other cuts is difficult. But markets vary so it might be different where you are.

iluvshinythings

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I liked antique diamonds before I found PS. I didn't own one or even know what the difference was before PS. They just appeal to my eyes. I love dispersion and I just swoon when the light hits my OEC just right and it lights up like a rainbow or it flashes big and bright.

I can honestly say that if I could choose between the same color, clarity and size in a MRB or OEC, at the same price,I would go with the OEC every time. It's not about the price savings for me, although that is attractive. I like that each OEC has it's own personality. I have some very nice AGS 0 earrings and they are beautiful, but they are also predictable and I could replace them without much effort with another pair that look just like them. I can't say that about my OEC e-ring.

I think there are several factors making them popular. Now that we have the internet, they are available to more people. I also think the general crappiness and expense of the average diamond available in the popular retail stores leads people to seek out an alternative. Whether it's a colored stone, ebay or an antique. (I'm talking about Kay's and Zale's and the like here - not Tiffany, Cartier or PS retailers) Most things were made better in older times. The workmanship you can see in an antique piece of jewelry is incredible. Most of us are trying to be greener and buying a pre-loved piece of jewelry falls into that category. There's a segment of the population that doesn't want to buy "blood diamonds" so some see it as more ethical.

They might be a passing fad and that's okay with me. When everyone else trades them in on the latest new trend, I'm going to be scooping up as many as I can find and hoarding them.

sugarski

Shiny_Rock
I don't have an answer to your question really, but when I married 22 years ago, I knew about Old Mine diamonds from browsing vintage shops (I lived in NYC), and always found them incredibly special and charming. But we had no money for a diamond of any kind when I got married, and learning about old cuts back then before the internet would have been tough.

Many years went by before I found myself thinking about diamonds again, at all. I inherited a small stone and came here to PS to find out more about it (had it recut to ideal H&A proportions and put in a pendant) and also used PS when I decided to get diamond studs. It was while reading here that I started to see the OEC discussions/pictures and realized THAT was what I wanted for a diamond ring. The H&A studs and pendant I have are gorgeous, but the "icy bling" esthetic has never spoken to me- I wear my modern pieces all the time, but I don't really LOVE them. There is a cookie-cutter quality to them and the more "splintery" faceting simply isn't my favorite. But I LOVE my new N color OEC with its flowery, chunky facets and the pastel colors it reflects. I just feel it has so much character.

Area57

Rough_Rock
Great answers. About when did they make the change to modern cuts? What years?

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
solgen|1445538131|3941124 said:
OECs might be popular here but we account for a very small market share. Generally they still aren't popular and you rarely find them in jewelry stores. Cushions also seem popular here.

Yet the jewelry stores here push RBC, princess and the heart cuts. Finding other cuts is difficult. But markets vary so it might be different where you are.
I was going to say this. Most people that I encounter have never really heard of old/antique cuts and just assumed they were always cut like MRBs for round. I never liked MRBs and had always brushed off round shapes until I came here and saw the plethora of other cuts.

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I've never liked modern round stones, though before PS, I couldn't really articulate what I didn't like about them. I've always been drawn to vintage designs (in jewelry) and when I first saw an OEC, it was love at first sight and I've never looked back. As others have said, I prefer the floral faceting, the broad flashes of color and how each and every one is unique.

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock
telephone89|1445544626|3941161 said:
solgen|1445538131|3941124 said:

I was going to say this. Most people that I encounter have never really heard of old/antique cuts and just assumed they were always cut like MRBs for round. I never liked MRBs and had always brushed off round shapes until I came here and saw the plethora of other cuts.

+3.

I have never gravitated towards rounds. I have everything square shaped..princess and asscher.. I appreciate the modern rounds... Then when I saw an OEC- I said - yes they are the rounds for me.. The broad facets, light performance, kozibe effect from the culet, not as perfect, warmer colours = Just.Got.me.

The more I researched, the more I understand about my tastes. I like more vintage than modern cuts ( broad/ chunky facets and flashes of light return v smaller/ splintery flashes) the same with settings. But I also like modern stuff like newly cut oec= AVR. I like what I like; ppl like what they like. So, perhaps we on PS love diamonds ALOT, we get to appreciate what each era/ cut brings to the fold.

On my list to get is an antique cushion cut/ACC set of earrings... It may be 2020 before I seriously start looking...

The list never ends! The list changes... I am still yet to learn how to choose pieces that are staples and will get exposure to sunlight( wear), instead of sitting in the jewelry box. But, it is always a learning experience and I love diamonds enough for me to continue chasing staples... :mrgreen:

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I used to think I didn't like diamonds. When I came to Pricescope while searching for a sapphire, I saw OECs and looked some up in person. And it turns out that it wasn't that I didn't like diamonds, I was just very particular about which kinds of cuts I liked and modern round brilliants and princess cuts were not it. How other people feel about them - I think it's a resurgence in antique styles that account for their rise, but I suspect they are sticking around because some people who had never seen them before genuinely do like them better independent of trends.

Veltiesmom

Shiny_Rock
yennyfire|1445550584|3941177 said:
I've never liked modern round stones, though before PS, I couldn't really articulate what I didn't like about them. I've always been drawn to vintage designs (in jewelry) and when I first saw an OEC, it was love at first sight and I've never looked back. As others have said, I prefer the floral faceting, the broad flashes of color and how each and every one is unique.

Agree 100% - I could have written this! I never thought I would own a round diamond as I could literally take or leave an MRB - they do nothing for me - but the OECs just get me every time.

Area57

Rough_Rock
Do any of you have a good picture that you would show a new guy to make him appreciate the beauty of them? Let's see some pictures, I still haven't made up my mind on what I prefer although I have a feeling I will like modern. And some of the fancy cuts like marquise.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Area57|1445581944|3941255 said:
Do any of you have a good picture that you would show a new guy to make him appreciate the beauty of them?

Sorry, but the only OEC I have is green.

screen_shot_2015-10-22_at_11.png

Area57

Rough_Rock
Kenny, please, yours don't count! You could take a picture of a piece of dirt and make me want to buy it. :clap:

No but seriously, that is very beautiful. I really like that. The green is a good green, the photo is very creative, the tans compliment the green of the diamond well. You really have an eye for color.

What is the best way to describe the differences in an OEC diamond vs. a modern? Is it the number of facets? The typically lower color grade?

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock
kenny|1445582657|3941256 said:
Do any of you have a good picture that you would show a new guy to make him appreciate the beauty of them?

OMG!!!!!! can i be your bestest,bestest friend so that you could gift it to me.... pls....... :cheeky:

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock
Area57|1445585413|3941260 said:
Kenny, please, yours don't count! You could take a picture of a piece of dirt and make me want to buy it. :clap:

No but seriously, that is very beautiful. I really like that. The green is a good green, the photo is very creative, the tans compliment the green of the diamond well. You really have an eye for color.

What is the best way to describe the differences in an OEC diamond vs. a modern? Is it the number of facets? The typically lower color grade?

i have pasted some links for you to look at the various stones. This is only in reference to rounds, there are also cushions and other fancy shapes cut in yesteryear as well; but i am only going to reference to rounds that you are referring/ interested.

most vendors will have Modern Round Brilliants (MRB)
Vendors like jewels by grace, love affair diamonds, erika winters, CVB and Old world diamonds will stock OEC.

then there are modern rounds that have been specifically cut for maximum light return to mimic the OEC. These are the AVR, trademarked and carried by good old gold.

this is an example of a modern cut (MRB)
http://www.goodoldgold.com/ecommerce/4ct-h-si1-platinum-select-round-ideal-cut-diamond.html

this is an example of an OEC.
http://www.jewelsbygrace.com/loose-diamonds/94-ct-old-european-cut-diamond-gia-h-si1#.VinzxX4rLIU

an example of a modern round cut with the old facet patterning.
http://www.goodoldgold.com/ecommerce/1-63ct-d-vs2-august-vintage-round-diamond.html

the facet patterning is different. I am not sure of the number of facets. but you can tell that OEC will have a flowery facet pattern to them. This flowery pattern is due to the broad facets in the pavillion. the kizobe is the reflection of the culet in the diamond. this appears as reflected tiny holes near the table of the diamond. In most of these older cuts, you can see a myriad of colours being reflected. It may be the facet patterning or the fact that the lower colour of these stones make them so. i am not sure on that.

As someone pointed out earlier, most OECs are lower coloured as the higher colours were recut to moderns (MRB). MRB were cut with specific angulations and done by computers ( but a person will be controlling it), and the OECs were cut by hand, so to speak. Back in those days, light source was candle light. so the diamond cutting were done so that it reflected the candle light. there are some wonky shapes of the older cuts.... the sophistication of computers in the 21st century changed all of that, hence the various cuts available.

Then there is the transitional diamond and the early modern.. these were cut styles that changed from the OEC to MRB.
this is what i have picked up:
1) OEC- broad facet patterning, bigger bolder light flash returning to the eye.
2) transitional
3) Early modern
4) tolkowsky proportions
5) hearts and arrows with 8 main pavillions= 8 arrows = skinnier facet patterning giving to faster light reflection back to the eye.
6) the solasfera= 10 main pavillions= 10 arrows= even skinnier facet patterning.. therefore faster light reflection compared to the hearts and arrows.
7) AVR= the modern cut stone to reflect the older cut styles. broad facet patterning.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Like many of the other OEC lovers here I love the OEC faceting. I love the chunkiness, the colors that seem to come from within the stone and the softness, the glow and the history. Modern rounds are pretty but don't make my heart go pitter patter the way that older cuts do. It just matches my personality and who I am if that makes sense. An old soul. Imperfect but special and romantic.

Kenny, I love your green OEC. :love:

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
kenny|1445582657|3941256 said:

sweet, Kenny!

and I have one that is...um...not sure what color it is. These things are moody, full of character and provide a daily ongoing story of who they are.
joy2.jpg
more photos ...[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/ode-to-oec-joy.211436/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/ode-to-oec-joy.211436/[/URL]

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock
i found a pic of mine...
ungraded colour... best guess O/P it is a 0.65ct OEC

i also manage to find the ideal scope image of it from a fellow PSer that i bought it from. it shows the kozibe effect = reflected culet i was referring to in an earlier post. they are the white dots that circumvent the table of the diamond.

and my ring.

photo_1169.jpg

is_3.jpg

1513682_10152206513962896_6388391781594618249_1.jpg

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
gregchang35|1445591086|3941267 said:
the facet patterning is different. I am not sure of the number of facets. but you can tell that OEC will have a flowery facet pattern to them. This flowery pattern is due to the broad facets in the pavillion. the kizobe is the reflection of the culet in the diamond. this appears as reflected tiny holes near the table of the diamond. In most of these older cuts, you can see a myriad of colours being reflected. It may be the facet patterning or the fact that the lower colour of these stones make them so. i am not sure on that.

As someone pointed out earlier, most OECs are lower coloured as the higher colours were recut to moderns (MRB). MRB were cut with specific angulations and done by computers ( but a person will be controlling it), and the OECs were cut by hand, so to speak. Back in those days, light source was candle light. so the diamond cutting were done so that it reflected the candle light. there are some wonky shapes of the older cuts.... the sophistication of computers in the 21st century changed all of that, hence the various cuts available.

Then there is the transitional diamond and the early modern.. these were cut styles that changed from the OEC to MRB.
this is what i have picked up:
1) OEC- broad facet patterning, bigger bolder light flash returning to the eye.
2) transitional
3) Early modern
4) tolkowsky proportions
5) hearts and arrows with 8 main pavillions= 8 arrows = skinnier facet patterning giving to faster light reflection back to the eye.
6) the solasfera= 10 main pavillions= 10 arrows= even skinnier facet patterning.. therefore faster light reflection compared to the hearts and arrows.
7) AVR= the modern cut stone to reflect the older cut styles. broad facet patterning.

This is only a portion of the history gregchang35, there is much more...
But IMO due to its rising popularity in the last decade (and it seems to be strengthening), and after spending all those years studying the History of Diamonds and applying this knowledge towards the newer cuts available, I can comfortably say that our predecessors (Diamond Cutters) certainly knew more about Diamond proportions than our modern cutters (e.g. Cutters 1940's to current).
Mass production Era educated rough planners & cutters to act according to the demand, Diamonds were cut in such sloppy fashions throughout most of the 20th Century.

When studying older cuts, not necesarily round brilliants only, one can clearly learn to appreciate the proportions and their differences. Like the connect between crown & pavilion proportions. That marriage (crown & pavilion) which must compliment each other in order to exhibit what viewers love and search for in a pretty Diamond.

I could only wish more cutters would notice the charm in such proportions based on the History of old stones and their cutting techniques.
We became dependent on technologies which are putting our brains to sleep, comfortably...

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock
Hi Yoram.

Thank you for chiming in and sharing your knowledge. i can't even think how they use to do it without the advent of computers....... i am glad that you do what you do!!!!

so, you are seeing an increase in demand for the older cuts across the board?
wow.. i thought us old cut lovers are only a minority...

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Here's the 7.5mm center stone that's in my 3 stone. My avatar shows my old cut oval, which is a rarity, both for its shape and for its color (GIA "E")...not sure how she escaped the dreaded re-cut, but I'm so glad that she did!
3stone1.jpg

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
gregchang35|1445614187|3941340 said:
Hi Yoram.

Thank you for chiming in and sharing your knowledge. i can't even think how they use to do it without the advent of computers....... i am glad that you do what you do!!!!

so, you are seeing an increase in demand for the older cuts across the board?
wow.. i thought us old cut lovers are only a minority...

By the way gregchang35, larger Diamond sizes (0.50ct+ I believe) are mostly cut by hand with technological tools as help and guidance.
Thank you, I am also glad to be doing what I am doing...

Across the board is still a drop in the generics world, but yes, I am clearly noticing that a lot of high-end speciality jewelers are feeling the waters, plenty are opening sections within their stores offering estate jewelry and other unique contemporary designs incorporating old-cuts. (Again..., not necessarily oec's).

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results