shape
carat
color
clarity

Advice on a 2ct VS2 N OEC

bluelotus

Shiny_Rock
Long time lurker back to ask your opinion. Some of you may remember my post from last year where I was looking for an 8mm stone to create a memorial man's ring. My original requirements were simply that the stone had to be an OEC and that it had to come in around 2 carats and have a good cut. What I didn't fully understand at the time was what contributes to a good cut and what to look for in terms of specs. I recently came upon by chance an antique ring with a stone that could be purchased separately. I had not considered such a colored stone but I am intrigued by the nice cut, good size, and warmth. . . perhaps more appropriate too for a man's ring. I recently discovered the GOG videos on the light brown AVR that were posted that have me seriously considering this stone. I still intend to have Caleb Myer make the ring and if I get this one I will have it made in white and rose gold.

I don't have exact specs but here are approximates:
7.8mm, table 50%, depth 65-66%, N color
The make looks good to me.

I am eager to read your feedback

n_vs2_2_0.jpg

bluelotus

Shiny_Rock
Side view of mounted stone. . .

n_vs2_2_carat_side.jpg

gemmyblond

Shiny_Rock
Hi bluelotus,
As a fellow OEC lover (and the happy owner of an N color OEC), I'll chime in with a preliminary comment about the stone pictured. It's very pretty in the photo and there's a lot to like imho.

One thing though that jumped out at me is the culet, or lack thereof. In the photo, doesn't look like there's much of one at all -- and as you probably know, many OECs feature medium/large culets and are admired for that...it's part of their charm and draws the eye. It's personal preference as to if/how much you like seeing a culet, but it is a factor to take into account.

I just know that after awhile, I came to my own POV about culet size in old stones and wished I'd been more aware of it sooner.
Good luck and happy hunting!

bluelotus

Shiny_Rock
Yes, I guess the culet is not as prominent as on earlier OEC/OMCs but you can see it in the kozibe around the table.
I guess my reasons for posting are to confirm that this looks like a promising performer and that at 6.5k that it is in the right price range. I get the sense that it might be more difficult to find well cut stones at this low color level.

ckh04

Rough_Rock
bluelotus|1390413704|3598641 said:
Long time lurker back to ask your opinion. Some of you may remember my post from last year where I was looking for an 8mm stone to create a memorial man's ring. My original requirements were simply that the stone had to be an OEC and that it had to come in around 2 carats and have a good cut. What I didn't fully understand at the time was what contributes to a good cut and what to look for in terms of specs. I recently came upon by chance an antique ring with a stone that could be purchased separately. I had not considered such a colored stone but I am intrigued by the nice cut, good size, and warmth. . . perhaps more appropriate too for a man's ring. I recently discovered the GOG videos on the light brown AVR that were posted that have me seriously considering this stone. I still intend to have Caleb Myer make the ring and if I get this one I will have it made in white and rose gold.

I don't have exact specs but here are approximates:
7.8mm, table 50%, depth 65-66%, N color
The make looks good to me.

I am eager to read your feedback

Blue lotus, I don't have any advice for you on the stone( it is beautiful to me!!), but I did want to ask you about the setting, I am looking for a setting for my OEC for my engagement ring and would love to contact you or the seller about it. I have had a tough time finding a setting without the center stone! If you have any info for me, I can be reached through my Loupetroop listing: http://loupetroop.com/users/ckh04

Please let me know. Thank you in advance!

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I like it. It looks to also have a brown tint, yes? If it has a lab report, it would be worth checking comps - stones with brown body color are typically discounted from Rap. Re: cut and culet, I actually think of that as a great set of proportions ... It looks like there's some kozibe there. Nice!

kelpie

Ideal_Rock
Looks like a winner to me. I think the culet is a great size and the crown is nice and high. As mentioned it does look a bit like the body color is more brown than yellow, but I think that can be lovely, especially in rose gold.

bluelotus

Shiny_Rock
Thank you Kelpie and Circe. Yes, it does have a brown body color. Looks warmer than an N to me in photos but will have to see what it looks like IRL, I am thinking I'll bring to David Atlas. . . my primary concern has been to find one with a decent cut and this looks nice. There is what may be minor leakage that appears at the top edge of the table but this does not appear in other photos I've received. Seller is firm at 6.5k.

bluelotus

Shiny_Rock
well, i have pulled the trigger and have reserved the stone. the seller has a good return policy and so, even though the stone is not certed i have the option to return if i want to. i have not yet seen the stone in person but was attracted to the size and what appears to be a good cut. the color will be interesting to observe in real life. i will probably see it some time next week after the dealers return from the miami show.

i discovered gemfever's posts about 'audrey' and wonder if the stone i am looking at might be the same make. the stats i have on the stone i have reserved seem to be close to those of audrey and the patterning quite similar. . . i hte optics are as beautiful as hers.

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/meet-audrey-my-2-55ct-s-t-oec-bundle-of-creamy-goodness.193454/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/meet-audrey-my-2-55ct-s-t-oec-bundle-of-creamy-goodness.193454/[/URL]

i just discovered today that gemfever reset audrey again in setting not unlike some settings i have admired from caleb meyer studio here in philadelphia. i think a white gold bezel with rose gold will be beautiful if the stone is a keeper. . . these simple settings are so elegant and androgynous.

thanks again for the education all. . .

ps forgive the lower case typing. . . shift key on the blink. . .

caleb_myer_1.jpg

caleb_myer_2.jpg

caleb_myer_3.jpg

caleb_myer_side.jpg

GemFever

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hi Bluelotus!

I'm glad you came across Audrey's thread. I do think your stone is of a similar make, it looks beautiful from the pics! I bet it will be incredible in a bezel, if you go that route. Can't wait for your pics of the stone!

bluelotus

Shiny_Rock
gemfever,
thanks for the post. . . i'll be posting updates soon. . .

sandra063

Rough_Rock
I love the look of it! its got a tat of brown color to it

Sky56

Brilliant_Rock
I'm looking forward to your posts. My favorite setting in the first Caleb Meyer one. I can picture your beautiful diamond in it looking great in it.

bluelotus

Shiny_Rock
Hello all,

Finally got the stone (after it got delayed in delivery due to the snow) yesterday from David Atlas'.
It faces up very bright IRL and is even more beautiful than I had expected. While the light tint is described as brown it appears to me to have a mix of yellow too that softens the appearance. The thing that amazes me is that I would never guess it was such a low color (vendor estimated an M/N, Dave thought O/P). Color is only detectable when looking at it face down and from the side. . . Thank you to everyone for the feed back and for the lessons in cut connoisseurship. I was particularly interested to read Dreamer_D's posts about evaluating cut and performance.

I will post photos when I can figure out how photograph this baby. . . my skills are sorely lacking in getting good closeups. . .

GemFever

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Great news! So looking forward to your photos! :appl:

LightBright

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I love the cut of your OEC! I'm so glad you like it and can't wait to see your photos!

bluelotus

Shiny_Rock
Hello all,
Just wanted to post an update one the ring project. I decided to work with a center city jeweler who can make up CAD drawings of the ring before casting. I am still working on refining the design but will post more images soon. I might have to move this to SMTB or the men's ring thread. . .

I will attach a photo today that is not very clear but will give you a sense of the diamond. It has a kind of shattered petal effect that is sort of halfway between the checkerboard pattern and the full flower petal patterns that I've seen on other older stones. The obstruction issue is sometimes there but I think it might have more to do with the fact that I haven't yet figured out how to take focused pictures with my phone that don't require being very close to the stone.

More soon!

_16281.jpg

GemFever

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I'm beginning to think this is my favorite OEC pattern. I love the cut on your stone. Looking forward to the CAD images of your ring, and more diamond pics of course!

bluelotus

Shiny_Rock
Thank you GemFever. I'll be sure to post some drawings once I have refined the design. In the meantime, here are some more photos. Finally getting the hang of it. . . D Atlas measured 45% table, 66% depth, 7.8mm, 2 carats exactly

_16320.jpg

_16321.jpg

_16322.jpg

_16323.jpg

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
bluelotus|1396093902|3643327 said:
Thank you GemFever. I'll be sure to post some drawings once I have refined the design. In the meantime, here are some more photos. Finally getting the hang of it. . .

OMG! GORGEOUS. :love:

_16324.jpg

ericad

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Beautiful OEC! I call it a "pinwheel" pattern - reminds me of those little foil pinwheels that kids stick out in the garden that spin in the wind. It's a pattern that I also adore. Congrats!

kc_pinwheel.jpg

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is such a pretty stone! Can't wait to see how this comes along. Having a Caleb Meyer inspired ring myself I am partial to the designs you chose. :love:

bluelotus

Shiny_Rock
Thank you Erica. So nice to get confirmation from a pro! Yes, pinwheel is an apt name for this style.

I hope to have sketches to share by the end of the day today. . .

hippi_pixi

Brilliant_Rock
lovely OEC! looks to have a great cut

bluelotus

Shiny_Rock
Another photo I just took!

_16757.jpg

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
That is a gorgeous stone! You did a great job selecting it! Have you nailed down a setting yet?

bluelotus

Shiny_Rock
Thanks! I could not have done it without all of this collective experience!
I haven't nailed it Down yet. More about that later!

bluelotus

Shiny_Rock
Yennyfire,
A message from gregchang35 in the SMTB thread caused me to have an epiphany about the ring design and now I think it will be pretty straightforward to move the design to completion. The simple mention of the word "gypsy" made me realize that all of the rings that I am attracted to are more or less variations of that basic design. I hope to meet with the CAD designer (and maybe sit down at the computer with her?) to work on it on Thursday. . .can't wait! It was simply that basic gypsy shape that I've been after all along. . . simple, elegant, and with a connection to antique forms.

__25.jpg

bluelotus

Shiny_Rock
Here's a cool shot with a culet reflection.

_16779.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results