shape
carat
color
clarity

Why the explosion in popularity of OEC diamonds?

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Area57|1445585413|3941260 said:
Kenny, please, yours don't count! You could take a picture of a piece of dirt and make me want to buy it. :clap:

No but seriously, that is very beautiful. I really like that. The green is a good green, the photo is very creative, the tans compliment the green of the diamond well. You really have an eye for color.

What is the best way to describe the differences in an OEC diamond vs. a modern? Is it the number of facets? The typically lower color grade?

Thanks.

IIRC, I read here that OECs today are often a lower color grade, K L M etc., because the those of higher color grade were more likely to have been recut.

If I were going to buy an OEC I'd definitely buy an August Vintage Round from goodoldgold.com
They are newly cut and newly designed but they have the antique look, with that open flower in the center.
Unlike the antique OECs, the facets of AVRs have been positioned for optimum light performance.
Cutting for light performance instead of weight is a new thing.

http://www.goodoldgold.com/ecommerce/diamonds/round/august-vintage-round.html

The chances of finding that in an antique OEC with this calibre of light performance are next to zero, though I admit even the wonky ones have a charm.

I've seen a couple AVRs in person and they are absolutely stunning, :o truly the best of both worlds!

Here's a video comparing an AVR to some well-cut modern rounds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DOL-_LiJKdk

I can highly recommend goodoldgold.
I've bought a few diamonds from them and sold one on consignment.
They are a class act.

Oh, and I have one carat of dirt here I'll sell ya for only $15,999.00. :naughty:

screen_shot_2015-10-23_at_9.png

kathley

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
"The chances of finding that in an antique OEC with this calibre of light performance are next to zero, though I admit even the wonky ones have a charm"

I am extremely fortunate that my OEC has the caliber of light performance that rivals that of the branded antique cuts and has been mistaken for an AVR on more than one occasion. And even mistaken by one of PS's posters (that also has a store); however he was kind and showed me my stone's ASET image confirming such performance. 8)

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
kathley|1445629906|3941426 said:
"The chances of finding that in an antique OEC with this calibre of light performance are next to zero, though I admit even the wonky ones have a charm"

I am extremely fortunate that my OEC has the caliber of light performance that rivals that of the branded antique cuts and has been mistaken for an AVR on more than one occasion. And even mistaken by one of PS's posters (that also has a store); however he was kind and showed me my stone's ASET image confirming such performance. 8)

That's awesome!!!
I do not doubt you, and never meant to diss antique OECs or imply good light performance cannot be found.

I also have the good fortune/luck that my green OEC has very good light performance ... certainly not AVR territory, but for an FCD it really stands out as a sparkler. :appl:

I'd bet you and I just had lucky rough.
I think when they cut your white OEC and my green OEC the shape of the rough happened to be just so.
I suspect they did cut them for max weight.
But, rarely, if the rough is already shaped similarly to an ideal-cut round [nearly optimum depth and widest where the girdle belongs] then cutting for max weight could inadvertently deliver proportions that result in good light performance.

Lucky us! :dance: :dance: :dance:

kathley

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
kenny|1445630771|3941430 said:
kathley|1445629906|3941426 said:

That's awesome!!!
I do not doubt you, and never meant to diss antique OECs or imply good light performance cannot be found.

I also have the good fortune/luck that my green OEC has very good light performance ... certainly not AVR territory, but for an FCD it really stands out as a sparkler. :appl:

I'd bet you and I just had lucky rough.
I think when they cut your white OEC and my green OEC the shape of the rough happened to be just so.
I suspect they did cut them for max weight.
But, rarely, if the rough is already shaped similarly to an ideal-cut round [nearly optimum depth and widest where the girdle belongs] then cutting for max weight could inadvertently deliver proportions that result in good light performance.

Lucky us! :dance: :dance: :dance:

Yes, lucky us!!! And your green OEC is TDF by the way, I drooled on my keyboard just looking at it! Any chance that you will make a visit to Jim Summa's to photograph the Esperanza?

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
I never really liked modern rounds which is why I have stuck to cushions and OMCs. BUT OECs are a different story and I love them more and more. I feel very blessed to have found my OEC - a GIA H VVS2. Needed the high color as an e-ring.

charmyoec10.jpg

charmypoo-9mm-sm-oec1b.jpg

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks Kathley. :wavey:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Love all the photos posted.
Close up phone pic. This is why I love OECs. Not perfect but perfectly charming and romantic.

chunkyfacets.jpeg

Diamond_Hawk

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Oldminer|1445526787|3941055 said:
I would not expect OEC faceting styles to become obsolete as they are a part of history and definitely have an individual character which sets them apart from the mainstream.

The explosion of popularity of what had been a smaller, niche market has come about because of the Internet and the ease of gaining information about alternative choices.

There is so much GREAT information in this thread - but I particularly like these thoughts. The technical and market-trend analysis shared in other places in the thread are fantastic, but the most important factor may be the ease with which information on time-tested styles can now be found. I also agree, however, that we see far more interest on PS (and among gem geeks in general) than in the majority of the populace.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
yennyfire|1445614871|3941345 said:
Here's the 7.5mm center stone that's in my 3 stone. My avatar shows my old cut oval, which is a rarity, both for its shape and for its color (GIA "E")...not sure how she escaped the dreaded re-cut, but I'm so glad that she did!
3stone1.jpg

yennyfire, maybe due to the oval shape she would have lost too much weight if she had been recut (lucky for her/you).

Boo247

Rough_Rock
This is such an interesting thread. Thank you to everyone who's posted this far.

I have an OMC diamond e-ring (not oec cut but posting her as its related to the trends and old cut discussion). When looking before I learnt about diamonds all I knew was I liked 'cushion'. I loved a friends e-ring (she's been married over 30 years and her ring was an heirloom). And it was cushiony! Turns out it's an OMC I just has no idea of the name.

I love the pillowy shape and high crown and the character of the old cuts. I also think about the craft of cutting it and also the people it's belonged to over the years. I wonder who they were and hope they are happy we have it and love it now. My fi likes antiques so the fact I have an antique ring is nice.

I think 99% of my friends, family or people who make a comment on my ring wouldn't know that it's an old cut or the difference between it and a modern. Maybe they think it looks terribly naff and old fashioned - who knows. Not that it matters a jot but I think you've got to be really into it to pick up on old cuts as a trend. I think most people just want something pretty and sparkly and why not.

_35032.jpg

_35033.jpg

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
tyty333|1445801086|3942014 said:
yennyfire|1445614871|3941345 said:
Here's the 7.5mm center stone that's in my 3 stone. My avatar shows my old cut oval, which is a rarity, both for its shape and for its color (GIA "E")...not sure how she escaped the dreaded re-cut, but I'm so glad that she did!
3stone1.jpg

yennyfire, maybe due to the oval shape she would have lost too much weight if she had been recut (lucky for her/you).
I suspect you're right tyty, and I'll be forever grateful!!

akoya

Shiny_Rock
I think it's abt personal preference
Haven't seen one irl before but from the video it seem to me that if the same kind of L or K stone of same characteristics , oec cut will probably make it look whiter or reflect more light due to the cut
Been to a Shop that carries Japanese diamonds??? They have some cuts like Sakura etc. so it's up to individual preferences. Some probably want to be more diff n unique so they opt for diamonds with less popular cut or design

HeartingDiamonds

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Climbing swiftly up my soapbox now :angel: .

Please know that I am 200% biased in my answer and opinions (full disclosure and all that jazz).

I think OECs are here to stay (I did say I was biased, right?). They are little pieces of history, and as they age, and become more rare, I see their values only increasing. The fact that the internet has become the de-facto research venue of choice is a HUGE reason why they have become a more mainstream option. I also have clients who like old cuts because they are conflict-free.

But mostly, my clients decide on OECs because they love the way it looks - those broad flashes of color, all that fire, and that charm and character these diamonds have - they have lived several generations, after all.

MRBs are beautiful diamonds - they were precision-cut with the aid of the best that technology has to offer. As such, you can expect a product that is perfectly symmetrical, with excellent light return, and, it goes without saying, that much-coveted excellent cut designation. The result are diamonds which look and perform a certain way, uniformly, in ALL lighting conditions. This is great because people who want this will not be disappointed!

OECs and all old cuts are a different animal altogether. Cut well over a hundred years ago, most only with the aid of candle light, taking months to finish, and depending solely on the cutter's skill and eye. The results are diamond which are wonky, often asymmetrical in some way or form, rustic and in my book, perfectly imperfect.

If I had several dozen OECs lined up on desk, each and every stone will look vastly different than the one next to it. Some would have a cushiony outline, some with larger culets, some broader facets, some more fine. The differences, or "flavors" between OECs is almost limitless. This is extremely appealing to me, and to a vast number of clients I work with. Women are now making bolder choices in their jewelry, they are not afraid to buck the trend, and most purposely make the unconventional choice (a cluster ring for an ER, as an example).

One can liken this to any piece of furniture. That antique chest of drawers will have this rich, lived-in feel and charm to them that the best reproduction piece, even by the most skilled artisan will not be able to duplicate. Sure, the repro will be more functional, and the drawers will not stick, and glide in and out more easily but the antique drawer is the one you wish to pass on to their children because its a piece of history, with a past you may or may not know about, but you instinctively want to preserve it anyway.

Final bullet point: Antique diamonds are also, to a large extent, a limited resource. Once gone, that would be it for all of us :(sad . A scandalous and countless number of old cuts have since been re-cut into modern stones, and we will never get them back. There is still a healthy number of dealers out there who discount old cuts as diamonds of less value because the mindset is on the value of these diamonds on paper - they think "who would buy a diamond with a fair cut grade and a large culet anyway?"

Stepping off the soapbox now.

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Final bullet point: Antique diamonds are also, to a large extent, a limited resource. Once gone, that would be it for all of us :(sad . A scandalous and countless number of old cuts have since been re-cut into modern stones, and we will never get them back. There is still a healthy number of dealers out there who discount old cuts as diamonds of less value because the mindset is on the value of these diamonds on paper - they think "who would buy a diamond with a fair cut grade and a large culet anyway?"
This bit breaks my heart every time I think about it and makes me want to start up a charity to save heritage diamonds (it’d be THE most fun sort of charitable tax write-off!:lol:)

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I inherited all of my antique diamonds.
I took them to my jeweler for closer examination. I discovered that all of the women in my family wore OEC’s. Each antique piece of jewelry I have sparkles & flashes from the broad, and elegant facets of OEC’s.
I’m a step cut girl ALL THE WAY, but I fell in love with these antique cut stones, immediately.
I’m so happy these pieces were passed down, over time, and never recut into MRB’s.

I recently had the largest of the OEC’s reset into a newer semi-mount. This ring is intended for my son, when the time comes for him to propose to his beloved.

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/ps-red-carpet-debut-nancy.235090/
5BF8075D-EC14-4534-A220-CC4A4A33C8AF.jpeg

This shield ring has 3 OEC’s:
F7873CD0-EC99-4143-9DC2-172102DE2D5F.jpeg

My Grandmother’s ER & my Great-Grandmother’s original ER both are OEC’s. If you scroll through my threads, you’ll find them, as well.
These pieces are intended for my children, to be passed down over generations, as they already have been (I’m the 3rd Generation). :mrgreen2:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I took them to my jeweler for closer examination. I discovered that all of the women in my family wore OEC’s. Each antique piece of jewelry I have sparkles & flashes from the broad, and elegant facets of OEC’s.
I’m a step cut girl ALL THE WAY, but I fell in love with these antique cut stones, immediately.
I’m so happy these pieces were passed down, over time, and never recut into MRB’s.

I recently had the largest of the OEC’s reset into a newer semi-mount. This ring is intended for my son, when the time comes for him to propose to his beloved.

My Grandmother’s ER & my Great-Grandmother’s original ER both are OEC’s. If you scroll through my threads, you’ll find them, as well.
These pieces are intended for my children, to be passed down over generations, as they already have been (I’m the 3rd Generation). :mrgreen2:

All so beautiful @Matthews1127!:kiss2: Lucky children! And not just for your bling.:appl:

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium

STUNNING rings!

acv123

Shiny_Rock
Premium

sidebar to talk about your nails! How are they so long and healthy looking! :clap:

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
sidebar to talk about your nails! How are they so long and healthy looking! :clap:

I think we can chat about that in the hangout....
;)2
Thank you for your kind remarks. I take care of them, myself. I’ve had 4 manicures in my lifetime. I did my own for my wedding. :mrgreen2:

eapj

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I think old cuts will always be of interest for those who like things that are more unique. I was engaged 12 years ago and we set a 1.65 carat OEC from my husband’s great grandmother’s cocktail ring into a tapered baguette setting. The jeweler was actually quite annoyed with me that I wouldn’t get it recut. I’m so glad that I didn’t. I don’t wear it much at all (I prefer smaller stones!) but I like the warmth and uniqueness of it. I recently purchased a smaller ring that I actually wear (.5 ct) and it’s a tranny (I think). The petal pattern is far more interesting to me than a MRB. A small OEC is on the wish list.

To some of us, a MRB is boring. The imperfection of old stones is so special, I think. For those who like MRB, that’s great, too!

I don’t see old cuts as a trend like halos but I do think they are now more appreciated.

Blingalingaling

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
When I got married, we had no money for an engagement ring, so my grandfather went to the vault and took out my grandmother's diamond, a 1.22 ct., H internally flawless OEC in a platinum setting with a broken shank, that was her mother's - so must've dated back to the 1800's. I wanted so badly to set it and wear it, so we took it to Michael C. Fina in NYC to have it put into a plain yellow gold solitaire with white gold prongs.
I was told at that point that the stone had several chips around the girdle and that they would not set it in that condition!! My grandmother had done a lot of gardening and she must've worn her ring while doing so, hence the chips and broken shank. She was a very simple lady and I doubt that jewelry meant much to her, aside from its sentimental value. I was told that I should have the stone recut to "today's standards", as the person we worked with there said that the stone had a "terribly small table" and once cut, would "open up" and show like the modern cuts of the day...I bought into it...the stone was recut to 1.06 and never again showed the broad flashes of light that it once had, although it is still a lovely, lively stone. I wore it for many years and then made it into a pendant. I always regretted doing the recut.

There is another OEC that was owned by another relative in my family that remains in its original state. It's big, it's gorgeous. My mother has it, she's never worn it, she keeps it in the vault. Someday it will be mine...hoping that day never comes. <3

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My first foray into OECs was in 2013. I stumbled across Erstwhile’s site and fell in love with a Victorian ring on their homepage. I didn’t really know much about older cuts at the time but I really liked the style of the ring. I wore it until I got my engagement ring set in its current (and final) incarnation.

It’s currently being resized and I look forward to wearing it again. If I recall correctly, the center is 0.5 ct, EGL F VS1? So probably more like a GIA G-H, VS2? The report lists the smaller diamonds as single cuts, but the jeweler doing the resizing thinks they're OECs too. I have no idea.

0F2645F5-5F10-4D6C-8A8B-4F8DA86EA38A.jpeg

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
C0CB4C8A-BBA4-4E94-AE48-5D6F89548CFF.jpeg I love browsing in jewelry stores with antique rings. My first serious diamond was an OMC (which I did not know at the time; I thought the culet was an inclusion). A few years later I bought a 1 ct top Wesselton princess cut diamond. It was perfect and... boring. After a while I stopped wearing it.

And one fine day I saw a big OEC in my favourite jewelry store and was in love! The warmth, the old world charm, the colour of antique lace, the craftmanship of 100 years ago. So... I decided to trade in the princess and never looked back. An OEC has so much ‘depth’. I enjoy looking at my ring every single day and never get bored of the look.

I think a certain type of people will always be attracted to antique jewelry and old cuts. I do not regard it as a trend per se.

LittleRed

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I love this thread and can’t wait until I get my first AVR (hopefully next year). I love things with history (even though an AVR doesn’t have history) or that are unique. Deciding on color will probably be my biggest decision when it comes time. :P2

I have a vintage diamond ring that belonged to my grandma from 1932. Is that the right era for an OEC?

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I fell in love with OECs before I knew what they were. I picked one for my wedding ring because the diamond just looked so beautiful. I love the way they pick up the colors surrounding them.

oec111.jpg
017.JPG

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results