shape
carat
color
clarity

Why is the August Tahitians thread down?

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
Ella|1443026685|3930886 said:
It is just me moderating the entirety of PS and I do not work full time. It is unfortunately not feasible for me to remove individual posts if the initial starter of the thread violates our policies. I do remove many posts every single day that violate our policies without removing threads, most people just do not see that happen, but it's not possible when the OP post violates our policies.

And want to express my thanks to you for your work in moderating the forum. It takes dedication to remove spam and maintain forum rules. I didn't know that you are the only moderator. Most forums I participate in have at least a handful to share the load.

Ella

Brilliant_Rock
Staff member
Premium
It will take a while to migrate the new posts, I need to do them individually and with 8 pages it will take a bit. Posts will also be dated as of when they were posted, not when they were moved. It isn't perfect but it is my only option.

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's also the best option, since otherwise posts would be out of order and confusing as people reply to each other.

Thank you for this effort, Ella. It feels good knowing our concerns were heard.

Tucs

Brilliant_Rock
That is good news. Thank you, Ella.

CRDKeshi

Shiny_Rock
Ella, I do want to thank you for your difficult work as a moderator. My comments are to the "job" and policies, not you personally. Sadly, I and other honest posters put a lot of time and work into our posts as well. That is destroyed when an entire thread is removed without notification. While I appreciate your statements about not having time to delete individual posts, I do think we as a community are at least owed a simple statement such as "Tahitian thread removed due to community concerns".

You've stated the members who've complained are "not shills". You've also stated this thread was removed after serious investigation, due to "insider information, visits, and possible shilling", implying the results of your investigation conclude these people are shills. Well, anyone who makes the effort can visit and view the same pearl merchandise at these pearl vendors, and will be welcomed with open arms via internet or in person ... that's not "inside information" nor shilling. I've made that effort myself, and it makes me a smart consumer, not a shill! I've gotten no single benefit from any of these vendors that anyone else can't get by doing their own homework. These complaints are being enforced unevenly, as NacreLover has outlined, and those accused have no defense against anonymous accusers.

Starting new threads, reposting etc. will omly work until the next accusation. Not wasting my time here. Good Luck ladies, hope you're not the next victim.

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a question. Here it is: In the last eight months I've bought about a dozen pearl items, and I'm currently waiting on one more, from Pearl Paradise. There is one item from Blue Nile and one from Pearlescence, but the rest are from Pearl Paradise. To avoid cluttering up the forum, I was going to put all my purchases together in one post, except for the grandest, the Big Daddy 9.5-10.5mm white Freshadama strand, which was going to get its own thread as it's so special. Now I'm worried that showing my PP collection is going to violate standards.

I buy from PP because they have 20% sales and because they have great customer service, and they have a better product range with fairer prices than some others. It's also easier to just go with the same people than take risks using a vendor that I don't know. We mailed different strands back and forth, and back and forth with the large Freshadama strand, and the PP folk truly have the patience of a saint, in my opinion. But I work at home as a caregiver (and also do some projects for a local marketing agency related to my previous career in marketing), have never been within miles of their office, and never spoken to the owner. I am a genuinely happy customer who is enjoying my items. It will be obvious from the photos that I am the genuine owner of all the items. I think PP is one of those companies who is out to make their customers happy by charging fair market prices and bending over backwards to please their buyers.

So, short version: Am I allowed to do my happy thread with all my lovely PP purchases, or would that be seen as advertising/shilling? Maybe I should do different threads on each purchase, spread over time, so it doesn't look like an ad. Could do with some guidance. Thanks! :wavey:

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
CRDKeshi|1443032507|3930941 said:
Ella, I do want to thank you for your difficult work as a moderator. My comments are to the "job" and policies, not you personally. Sadly, I and other honest posters put a lot of time and work into our posts as well. That is destroyed when an entire thread is removed without notification. While I appreciate your statements about not having time to delete individual posts, I do think we as a community are at least owed a simple statement such as "Tahitian thread removed due to community concerns".

You've stated the members who've complained are "not shills". You've also stated this thread was removed after serious investigation, due to "insider information, visits, and possible shilling", implying the results of your investigation conclude these people are shills. Well, anyone who makes the effort can visit and view the same pearl merchandise at these pearl vendors, and will be welcomed with open arms via internet or in person ... that's not "inside information" nor shilling. I've made that effort myself, and it makes me a smart consumer, not a shill! I've gotten no single benefit from any of these vendors that anyone else can't get by doing their own homework. These complaints are being enforced unevenly, as NacreLover has outlined, and those accused have no defense against anonymous accusers.

Starting new threads, reposting etc. will omly work until the next accusation. Not wasting my time here. Good Luck ladies, hope you're not the next victim.

So true - getting the right photographs, true colors, non-blurry, takes quite a while - especially with the dreaded ear shots. The post I was planning with my mainly-PP collection will probably take up quite a bit of time, but I really enjoy photographing and sharing my purchases. Before I do all that work though, I'd like to know in advance if it's OK. Hopefully Ella will let me know.

ennui

Brilliant_Rock
I guess I always miss out on the 20% sales ...

Anyway, I gather this has all been resolved, but I know the issue of this section being heavily weighted toward one vendor has been discussed before. Maybe PP needs to create their own community forum on their website? :think:

Ella, over on one of the shopping channel forums, they can "lock" a topic to prevent additional posts. Those topics drift off the front page, and no one can bump them again. I don't know if you have that option? It's kind of a peaceful way to end a discussion.

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
ennui,

When PP lists a 15% coupon code on their website for the general public, previous customers get a 20% code emailed to them. If you have ever bought from them you can get the emails, too.

Also, sometimes there are 20% off codes for particular holidays, like Mothers Day, Valentines Day, etc.

And sometimes the 20% off refers to all the items of the sale, for everyone-- I believe the August Tahitians were marked at 20% off for everyone.

PS rules don't allow us to refer to other forums here by name, but they exist.

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
ennui|1443033674|3930952 said:

Anyway, I gather this has all been resolved, but I know the issue of this section being heavily weighted toward one vendor has been discussed before. Maybe PP needs to create their own community forum on their website? :think:

Ella, over on one of the shopping channel forums, they can "lock" a topic to prevent additional posts. Those topics drift off the front page, and no one can bump them again. I don't know if you have that option? It's kind of a peaceful way to end a discussion.

Over on RockyTalky, posters are fiercely biased toward Brian Gavin and Whiteflash - they are mercilessly promoted to newbies, who are invariably steered away from Blue Nile and other vendors, but the clear favoring of those vendors has never been a problem.

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ennui, I think the 20% off only happens twice a year, usually Mother's Day and around Black Friday, at least I think so. I've usually waited six months before for the 20% off comes up. I'm talking about sales where there is twenty off everything on the website, not the sales where certain categories of items are on sale, like 20% off Tahitians. Good luck! :wavey:

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
While items bought from PP may seem to be heavily represented here, many of us buy from an assortment of vendors.

I have personally also bought from Pure Pearls, Catherine Cardellini, druzydesign, The Pearl Outlet, various Etsy and other eBay sellers, and the list grows. No favoritism here!

As to the visits, not every online vendor has a showroom. You can't visit a business that doesn't have a showroom. :think:

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I want to preface what I am about to say by saying that my intention is not to accuse anyone of being a shill, nor was I at all involved in complaining about this to the moderators. My first realization that the thread was gone was when a fellow PS member asked me about it and I realized that I had no clue what had happened or when.

In Ella's defense, we do have to acknowledge that there has been a large number of pre-sale visits to one vendor in particular (way more than in previous years) accompanied with lots of whipping up of excitement about the products which are about to be launched, pictures of what will be on offer, and a lot of talking up of the product. While I have very much enjoyed seeing those pictures and appreciate the enthusiasm, I can see how it would raise concern about this having the effect of providing free advertising to a single vendor in regard to their upcoming sales. Moderating must be a very difficult and thankless task and I'm grateful for the offer of having all of the photos restored. I too was waiting to hear about some strands and to see if people had liked them.

fel

Shiny_Rock
Ella,

I hate to make more work for you but is there any way you can move my post in this thread with the pictures to the new August Tahitian thread. I don't want to double post and it really belongs there.

Thanks either way,
Fel

ckrickett

Ideal_Rock
Jambalaya|1443035008|3930958 said:
ennui|1443033674|3930952 said:

Over on RockyTalky, posters are fiercely biased toward Brian Gavin and Whiteflash - they are mercilessly promoted to newbies, who are invariably steered away from Blue Nile and other vendors, but the clear favoring of those vendors has never been a problem.

I was going to mention something along the same lines. I feel because the pearl community on PS is a lot smaller than say rocky talky or the CS forums here that we feel it more than the other areas. Which is another reason why it should be less transparent than what has happened with the august tahitian thread.

I remember you mentioning that some long time PSers complained, but the pearl forum here has some long time posters, I myself have been an active member of the PS community for over 8 years, and not just the pearl area. But also LIW, Family and home and much more. PS was a home for me when I broke up with my past boyfriend/fianee, before I got into a relationship with my DH. It has helped me learn and grow in my knowledge, understanding, and appreciation of jewelry and much more. And it was the ONLY place I could turn to last March when I dealt with the worst and hardest thing that has EVER happened to me in my entire life (that is NOT an exaggeration). So then when I have a great appreciation and respect for a forum on so many different fundamental levels, to have the main page that I consider home, with some the loveliest, accepting, and nicest members I feel protective. I feel protective of the community, of the time and effort that goes into the threads, and knowledge. To have that page be taken down because you believe and looked into us being shills, without letting us know that it was taken down, or to post any concerns on that thread. I feel betrayed.

I know moderating is hard, and as others have said in no way to I hold any of the moderators responsible, I greatly appreciate and respect the time and dedication that goes into maintaining a place as large and diverse as PS. But the freedom that seems to be allowed in the other forums seems as if it isn't allowed here, and that has me concerned. I feel personally that taking a thread down BECAUSE of a shill or shilling is acceptable, but if it appears to be a shill and it is not than it shouldn't be taken down.

I hope in the future we can all be comfortable with posting experiences and pictures of vendors, experiences and much more. It was what brought me to PS, and it is what I really love about the community here.

Ella

Brilliant_Rock
Staff member
Premium
ckrickett|1443038762|3930985 said:
I feel personally that taking a thread down BECAUSE of a shill or shilling is acceptable, but if it appears to be a shill and it is not than it shouldn't be taken down.

I hope in the future we can all be comfortable with posting experiences and pictures of vendors, experiences and much more. It was what brought me to PS, and it is what I really love about the community here.

But how can we know what appears to be a shill but isn't? I ask this question genuinely as often it isn't as simple as you would think. There is often no easy connection to be made, but in this case it's something we have been watching for a while and then longtime users started to notice it too.

Again, we are not removing posts because you all post too many posts from one vendor. But particular users are regularly posting inside photos, detailed information about buying trips, inventory information, and information that the general public does not have. That is against our policies and has been for a long time.

We are not trying to moderate members personal, and true experiences with vendors, but posting private photo shoots at vendors, skype chats where one member is at the vendor's place of business and essentially making sales for the vendor, think of it from an outsider's perspective and I am sure you can understand that something seems off.

We have also had many conversations over the years with members of the diamond forum who seem to be shilling or redirecting users away from a vendor for no real reason. It is not just in this forum.

We know that members doing this type of thing are not doing it maliciously, but it still does not mean it's appropriate.

Ella

Brilliant_Rock
Staff member
Premium
Jambalaya|1443033510|3930951 said:

So true - getting the right photographs, true colors, non-blurry, takes quite a while - especially with the dreaded ear shots. The post I was planning with my mainly-PP collection will probably take up quite a bit of time, but I really enjoy photographing and sharing my purchases. Before I do all that work though, I'd like to know in advance if it's OK. Hopefully Ella will let me know.

Again, if it is your personal collection, have at it! That is what this forum is for. If you are going to a vendor, putting on all of their items, and promoting them as well as providing back and forth between the vendor and forum users to facilitate sales, that is not ok.

But posting your own personal collection is always welcomed, no matter who the vendor is. Just because we removed a thread does not mean anyone is banned or you cannot post your own items from a company.

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ella|1443058702|3931103 said:
Jambalaya|1443033510|3930951 said:

Again, if it is your personal collection, have at it! That is what this forum is for. If you are going to a vendor, putting on all of their items, and promoting them as well as providing back and forth between the vendor and forum users to facilitate sales, that is not ok.

But posting your own personal collection is always welcomed, no matter who the vendor is. Just because we removed a thread does not mean anyone is banned or you cannot post your own items from a company.

Yay!!! :appl:

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
Thank you Ella!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results