shape
carat
color
clarity

Why do people purchase MMD?

16ocean

Brilliant_Rock
An honest question here.
Is it because of some of the blood diamonds out there, for ethical reasons?

and

I don't understand the difference b/t CZ and a MMD

vintageinjune

Brilliant_Rock
I would be inclined to believe the reasons vary greatly, much as the individuals who buy them do.

Common themes may include an ethical stance, bang for your buck mentality, or that they just find them interesting in their own way.

My own reasons are definitely tied to heavy influence from my upbringing as both my parents are scientists, so "labs" are a happy place for me, and "lab grown" has always intrigued me. That upbringing though didn't include a lot of money, and I've been cautious with where mine goes based on what is most important to me personally.

So, when it came time for a splurge and I decided on a pair of diamond stud earrings, it never really crossed my mind to look at mined diamonds because I could get what I wanted with lab grown for much less. No compromises on cut, clarity, color, or carat weight is a dream to me, and one I'm happily fulfilling.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
These might be useful :)

Last edited:

CBPearllover

Shiny_Rock
I don't understand the difference b/t CZ and a MMD

Like @kb1gra mentioned, cubic zirconia ("zirconium dioxide") is not the same material as diamond (pressurized carbon). They have different chemical properties and behave differently, especially in regards to how they handle light. CZ can "look" like a diamond because it is a colorless stone, but it is not diamond.

I personally have many reasons why I have purchased lab diamonds:

1) As a millenial, the mystical allure of buying a earth-mined stone is not as heavily ingrained in me. I do not believe a beautiful 2ct, well-cut diamond is inferior to a similar natural diamond. I see it as an opportunity!

2) Life is expensive. Kids are expensive. If I can save a significant amount of money on (let's be honest....), a totally unnecessary purchase? Bonus.

3) Science is amazing, and speeds up a billion year process to a handful of days. Wow!

If we're going to tear up the ground, let it be for trace elements to further our technology. Diamonds in the ground? I wouldn't walk away from an earth-mined diamond if you gave it to me, but.... yeah no one's giving them away! :lol:

poshmommy

Brilliant_Rock
I only have 1 lab...so far. I have several mined diamonds ranging from 1-4 cts. My original engagement ring is a 2ct asscher which I wear daily. My upgraded ring is a flashy 4ct which I don't get to wear as much. I wanted something beautiful in the middle but didn't want to blow a ton of of money in this uncertain time. The lab oval ring I just bought fit the bill. I do love it. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another lab.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
A lab diamond is the exact same chemical make up as an earth diamond
in the future i would like to buy one to re-replace one in a ring i brought on an online auction site, that had had the centre stone for what ever reason replaced by a blue topaz

I got quoted NZ$4K to replace the diamond
If i can get a MM lab grown light box diamond for US$1K i'll be really happy 20200710_213857.jpg

1ofakind

Brilliant_Rock
I think it is pretty cool that a diamond can be man made in a lab that takes the earth maybe a billion years to create. That’s just amazing. I also like a bargain when I can get one and given they are both actually diamonds....why not?!?! That said, I only have naturally mined diamonds but if I were in the market for a new diamond I would definitely look at MMD.

OboeGal

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
A lab diamond is the exact same chemical make up as an earth diamond
in the future i would like to buy one to re-replace one in a ring i brought on an online auction site, that had had the centre stone for what ever reason replaced by a blue topaz

I got quoted NZ$4K to replace the diamond
If i can get a MM lab grown light box diamond for US$1K i'll be really happy 20200710_213857.jpg

That's a lovely ring!

123ducklings

Brilliant_Rock
For me the short answer is cost. I recently made my first lab diamond purchase: 1ctw studs. I actually have a great pair of mined diamond studs, but I found I was only wearing them for special occasions because I have a busy lifestyle with kids grabbing on me and I was always slightly worried about losing one.

When Lightbox launched a few years ago I started thinking about getting a pair for daily wear, but at $1k I couldn’t justify the cost for something I essentially already had. Then the Bloomie’s sales hit and I couldn’t resist! They’re nice enough that I get the enjoyment of wearing diamonds every day, and they were such a great deal that I don’t stress about losing one.

I bought them for myself to enjoy. It’s not an investment that I’m worried about upgrading or selling one day, so the future economics of lab diamonds didn’t matter at all for this purchase. I will say there is a distinction in my mind between lab and mined diamonds. I don’t know how I’d feel about a lab diamond for an engagement ring or big milestone gift — something that might be passed down to my children/grandchildren — if that makes sense.

@16ocean are you thinking of making a purchase?

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
That's a lovely ring!

Thank you =)2
I know its small fry around here but
its my best ever trade me (NZ ebay) purchase
it was sold on behalf of an insurence company after it was recovered after the claim had been paid out
im wearing it now
Its just too bad about the window in the topaz
When the time comes and the exchange rate improves i will need lots of help no matter what kind of diamond i buy for it

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Because it’s a real diamond and the lightbox price is amazing. I own both mined and lab.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
They are physically and chemically the same as earth diamonds yet significantly cheaper.

I have not bought one yet though, however, if I were to get one, it would be an OEC and/or a Heart cut.

DK :))

sd_flp

Brilliant_Rock
Easy, the cost. It makes more economical sense for us (my fiancé and me) to buy a lab diamond. We are saving up for a home and we would rather invest in real estate than an expensive rock that only I can enjoy. We both come from middle class families so we don’t have any diamonds to inherit, and after fancying simulants for a while, I’m not terribly attached to the idea that my gems have to be earth mined. And no, a lab diamond is not a simulant.

If we weren’t getting a lab diamond I would’ve opted for an emerald because it’s my birthstone and I’m partial to green. I seriously considered it until I realized it was more practical in the long run to get a lab diamond. As a wedding present, I’m upgrading my emerald studs instead. ❤️

Dhana

Shiny_Rock
Cost certainly.
i was considering moissanite but then heard about the green slick issue with older forms, then I was contemplating forever one but once light box came out decided to get the 2CTW whenever they may be in stock.
if I had all the money in the world I would probably get Whiteflash or CBI

vintageloves

Shiny_Rock
Because I’m a cheap ass. I’d love to care about the ethics, but, frankly I think it would be hypocritical to draw a line in the sand about diamonds given the ethics of the clothes I wear, food I eat, and car I drive to say the least of it. The price is really the issue. An ering is one thing but for necklaces and bracelets I’m fine with lab.

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like rocks. I have none of these and would like to have some to compare. Of course price helps immensely. I would like to see prices come down some more though. I still can't afford something the size I'd like, which would be about 2 carats. Just slightly bigger than my ER, but an OEC cut. I have dreams. I usually only buy vintage, that is my first love.

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
Because I’m a cheap ass. I’d love to care about the ethics, but, frankly I think it would be hypocritical to draw a line in the sand about diamonds given the ethics of the clothes I wear, food I eat, and car I drive to say the least of it. The price is really the issue. An ering is one thing but for necklaces and bracelets I’m fine with lab.

100% same. For an everyday diamond that I buy myself (no romantic component) I'm fine with MMD. I just bought my first a few weeks ago and like it very much.

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
Do you want to post a hand shot?

Hint hint

I can post a neck shot. The MMD was a necklace. Compare the MMD (.70, H, SI1) with the mined diamond studs (.50 tcw D SI1) and mined e. ring at .82, j, vvs2).. they all feel like regular diamonds. I'm happy and so is my bank account.
View attachment 767656 20200722_202218.jpg 20200722_202202.jpg 20200722_212206.jpg

Last edited:

OdetteOdile

Brilliant_Rock
I can post a neck shot. The MMD was a necklace. Compare the MMD (.70, H, SI1) with the mined diamond studs (.50 tcw D SI1) and mined e. ring at .82, j, vvs2).. they all feel like regular diamonds. I'm happy and so is my bank account.
View attachment 767656 20200722_202218.jpg 20200722_202202.jpg 20200722_212206.jpg

moneymeister that necklace looks great on you - perfect size and I love the delicate chain.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock

So pretty !
Well rather beautuful actually
They look exactly like earth diamonds !
Thank you for showing us

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
So pretty !
Well rather beautuful actually
They look exactly like earth diamonds !
Thank you for showing us

Thanks! There was some part of me that was worried about some sneaky visual difference that would flag it as "other". Not at all. They are just diamonds. The diamond is inscribed with a MMD marking of some kind, but that's it.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have a question and hopefully this is a good time to ask
i often read about peeps buying the lightbox 1ct pendent to reset in a ring
this has a hole drilled in it ?
How does that effect its structural integrity or am i missing something ?
How is it set so you can't see the hole ?
Or have i got this completly wrong ?

sprinklesparkles

Shiny_Rock
I have a question and hopefully this is a good time to ask
i often read about peeps buying the lightbox 1ct pendent to reset in a ring
this has a hole drilled in it ?
How does that effect its structural integrity or am i missing something ?
How is it set so you can't see the hole ?
Or have i got this completly wrong ?

They don't buy the pierced diamond for resetting. There's a martini setting most people purchase.

1ofakind

Brilliant_Rock
Wait...there’s a pierced diamond?? How did i miss that!!

sprinklesparkles

Shiny_Rock
Say someone offers you two cookies. Identical. Same ingredients, same flavor, same size, same freshness.

The first costs $1, it's baked by people being paid living wages.

The second is identical in every way, baked by people who may or may not be being exploited, and costs $100.

Which cookie do you buy?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results