shape
carat
color
clarity

Why did the ERD cushion cross the road?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

scarlet16

Brilliant_Rock
To be set in the most perfect Leon, of course! (FYI - Leon's office is literally across the street from Mark's).

Now, skip ahead for the barrage of photos or read the long story below!

First off, many many many thanks to Mark Turnowski at Engagementringsdirect and Leon Mege, as well as his staff. Both vendors were terrific, and I would not hesitate one second to recommend either! A shout out to Chubb Insurance for being fantastic to deal with. And another shout out to Dani & CrookedRock (and the rest of the PS community) for being my moral support throughout this process.

As many of you know, how this all started was when I lost my original e-ring back in January. Chubb was fantastic and paid out our claim within a few weeks. I was distraught so I didn’t even think about what I wanted to do until February.

In early February, I contacted Mark about cushions. My original stone was round but I realized I wanted some classic but with a twist. Boston_Jeff and Pauly’s stones were my inspiration! So I set Mark out on a hunt for something similar to theirs and in the 1.75ct to 2.0ct range. Almost immediately, Mark responded and told me he had a gorgeous 1.66ct stone and thought it would be perfect for me.

When we went in, Mark was absolutely FANTASTIC! He had 4 cushions of all different styles – including glloyd’s beauty and the stone he mentioned earlier to me, as well as a modified. I loved the patterning on glloyd’s and the 1.66ct but thought they were too small. Keep in mind I’d just seen a few 3+ct stones at Tiffany’s the day before. So, I asked Mark to keep looking. He continued to do so and after a few weeks let me know that there were few stones out there as gorgeous as the 1.66ct. We went in for another look (which was the day I saw CrookedRock’s AMAZING monster of a stone). I still was stuck on the size and crazy me told Mark he should let it go! Again, he kept looking but said there’s nothing out there that would suit you. It must have been fate because Mark said, I still have the 1.66ct. When I went in this time (late-March at this point), the size was perfect…dare I say, large even (my eyes must have shrunk back to normal). In comparison to a 2ct stone with the same l/w, it looked nearly identical. It was BLAZING white! So finally, I had my stone.

Then, there was the drama of finding a setting. The original plan was just to get a plain temp wg setting because we’d gone over-budget with the stone, and we’re paying for our wedding. But my WONDERFUL fiancé said you’re crazy; that stone is too beautiful, get what you want! So I set out to find the perfect setting to showcase the ring. I looked at the Ritani Endless Love no halo, which was pretty but I felt it needed something else.

After getting an absolutely reasonable quote from Leon Mege, that was it. Leon (and his staff) were fantastic. He was so patient with me (and Dani), and even cracked jokes with us. I brought in a stack of pictures, and we discussed every little detail. I knew I wanted something similar to Tiger’s AMAZING ring but slightly modified. I asked Leon to shrink the donut on the bottom as much as possible (without altering the integrity of the design) so the gap w/ my wedding ring would be tiny. I went with a bright-cut pave over the “Harry Winston” style simply because I preferred the look. We talked about the width of the shank for a good 15 minutes (as well as finger size). I went back and forth btwn. 1.6mm and 1.8mm, and decided on 1.8 (and then fought myself on this decision here on PS for while). I also asked if he could complete the ring before my graduation on May 18th. On Monday when I dropped off my deposit, Leon & I talked again about the width and also about the type of melee. He told the difference btwn 1.6 and 1.8 was minisucle and it was up to me. I stayed with the 1.8mm. He also showed me a single cut pave ring which I LOVED and decided I wanted that as well.

I have to say it was the LONGEST 5 weeks of my life! I scrutinized every choice I’d made again & again. Finally, yesterday morning I got an email saying my ring was DONE!!! And I have to say, it is without a doubt the perfect setting for this stone. Every little detail, from the double prongs to the perfect placement of the melee, to the “w’s” creating the basket, and the amazing glimmer of the single cut stones!

As a forewarning, these photos do this ring/stone NO justice. It is a firecracker/fireball and I cannot capture it’s beauty for the life of me! If you have any tips, please help (that’s a call to you fabu photographers – Mara, Ellen, Diamondseeker).

scarlet16

Brilliant_Rock
The details

7.73x6.73x4.29mm
L/W ratio: 1:1.15
Carat Weight: 1.66ct
Clarity: SI1
Polish: VG
Symmetry: G
No Flour
Table: 60%
Depth: 63.7%
Culet: medium

Setting
Platinum with 32 single-cut stones (.34 ct)

Indabox.JPG

scarlet16

Brilliant_Rock
Chunky heaven!

HOLYCRAP.JPG

scarlet16

Brilliant_Rock
Perfect basket

Wsfromtheside.JPG

scarlet16

Brilliant_Rock
Yummo!

Wsfromtheside1.JPG

scarlet16

Brilliant_Rock
All I could find in NYC today...sorry, no flowers.

NYCplantlife.JPG

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
It''s GORGEOUS scarlet!!!!!! I am so happy you finally have your beauty on your hand. Isn''t Mark fantastic???

scarlet16

Brilliant_Rock
Blazin'' single cuts!

Singlecutsparkle.JPG

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
OH MY GOODNESS, it''s absolutely GORGEOUS!!!! I think you picked a perfect one!!
36.gif
36.gif

scarlet16

Brilliant_Rock
Glowing

Rainbowsinsky.JPG

scarlet16

Brilliant_Rock
Fire

BigGreenSparkleonhandny.JPG

scarlet16

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/7/2008 11:52:52 AM
Author: neatfreak
It''s GORGEOUS scarlet!!!!!! I am so happy you finally have your beauty on your hand. Isn''t Mark fantastic???

Thanks Neatfreak! Mark is definitely the best! And I''m not sure how he manages to find these amazing stones all the time!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
GORGEOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

scarlet16

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/7/2008 11:56:23 AM
Author: Catmom
OH MY GOODNESS, it''s absolutely GORGEOUS!!!! I think you picked a perfect one!!
36.gif
36.gif

Thanks Michelle!

scarlet16

Brilliant_Rock
Oh, and for those of you who have a doubt about thickness of a 1.8mm shank...this thing is TINY with big ''ol capital T. I''m glad I didn''t go any thinner! It''s dainty w/out being overly delicate (and TOTALLY sturdy)!

PurpleSparkleonhandny.JPG

pocahontas

Brilliant_Rock
Scarlet,

Your ring is beautiful! I love it's simplicity and low profile. Actually, I love everything about it - the cushion, the width of the shank, etc...it's perfect! Congratulations!

scarlet16

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks Lorelei & Pocohontas...I''m loving it!!!

Oh, I forgot a BIG BIG thank you to Tiger for having that fabulous original dream ring.

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Spectacular!!!!!

pauly1

Shiny_Rock
O my God Scarlet, it''s amazing! Congratulations, and great job hanging in there for so long. The waiting is just killer. The stone is just PERFECT and the E/W setting looks fantastic. Job well done, enjoy it!

ManhattanLawyer

Shiny_Rock
That is beautiful! Your fire shots are spectacular! I love the prongs!

tberube

Brilliant_Rock
*faints*

oh.

oh my.

WOW. I mean like...WOW.

Like.

That's my upgrade, EXACTLY (that is, if I ever get one). Giant cushion set E/W on a tiny pave band. Double claw prongs. Low profile. You are a woman after my own heart.

Can I come over and stare at your ring finger for a few hours?

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Love it scarlet, simply stunning!!
30.gif

And you don''t need any picture help my dear, they are just fine.
2.gif

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oooh its stunning... beautiful..... gorgeous!!!!!!
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif

dani13

Ideal_Rock
I said it before, and I'll say it again: Its GORGEOUS!!!!!! That stone, that setting...just perfect!!!!! You photos are great too!

Im so happy for you.....YOU SO DESERVE IT!!! Enjoy that ring...may you wear it in health and happiness ALWAYS!!!!!!!
36.gif
36.gif

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
Beautiful!

Love Street

Shiny_Rock
SOOOOOOOOOOOO Beautiful!!! All your photos went straight to my "cusions I love" folder for inspiration
9.gif
(and to show Mark what I lurve when it''s time for my upgrade
31.gif
) And the setting is TDF - LOVE the WHOLE THING
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
Oh it's just so lovely!
36.gif
Enjoy your new beauty! I adore those chunky facets!

mom2twogirls

Shiny_Rock
In a word .... STUNNING!!! Love this so much! Thanks for sharing!
1.gif

pixley

Brilliant_Rock
IN-SANE! OMG, Scarlet, I am wild over your new ring.
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
Those photos totally MADE MY DAY! I''m so excited for you. It''s incredibly beautiful and perfect and
emrainbow.gif
s are just flying out of that ring!

scarlet16

Brilliant_Rock
Motownmama - Thanks!

pauly - That means something coming from one of the original cushion masters! Your ring is a stunner! And yes, that wait was the pits...luckily I was studying for my last law school exams to keep me occupied!

ManhattanLawyer - Thank you! Yours is GORGEOUS too!!! Don''t you owe us some more pictures now that it''s sunny out???

tberube - AWWW, you''re making me blush!!! Seriously, your ring is stunning...you definitely don''t need an upgrade any time soon. And come over and stare all you want! We''ll stare together! [And I don''t know about "giant" cushion compared to some of the ones on PS, but it''s certainly the perfect size for my finger.]

Ellen - Thanks! How did you get that awesome backlit shot though in your avatar b/c that is
30.gif
!!

Maisie - Thanks! I can''t wait to see how yours turns out...how much longer are they making you wait???

Dani - Thanks lady! I can''t wait til you see it in person...it''s honestly so much more fire-y than the pictures actually are showing!

bee - Thanks!!

Love Street - Mark is FABULOUS!!! Are you thinking of one soon???

coatimundi - I love the chunky too!!! They are fantastic...I wish the color from them would capture better!

mom2twogirls - It''s my pleasure sharing! I''m glad you enjoyed the pictures!

Pixley - You are too sweet! I had forgotten how my stone looked in the 5 weeks and when I saw your pixx of your new stone, I was like DANG, I hope my stone is like that! [PS-your avatar makes me smile EVERY time I see it. Your daughter is adorable.]

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results