shape
carat
color
clarity

Who wants to see my haul from today?

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
VRBeauty, I think they are keepers---check it out!
These are your candlesticks! Look at the asking price!

And another. I would totally believe this Cowan's description that they are 19th century. Wes Cowan is an appraiser on the Antiques Roadshow.

Oh my goodness but you’re a good sleuth of everything shiny! I did a bit of internet searching but didn’t even get close!

Many thanks!

BTW there is a “Norblin - Warzaw” stamp on the bottom of each candlestick, as well as what is probably a production number. I can’t believe I didn’t notice that last night. :oops: I feel like I should surrender my loupe… for my own good ;)2:(2:lol: .

It appears the the candlesticks were manufactured between 1872 and 1893, based on the Russian Eagle coat of arms.

Attachments

• D03F5323-4816-4D40-9550-D949E32F4852.jpeg
    D03F5323-4816-4D40-9550-D949E32F4852.jpeg
    176.5 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
i finally got a real find
crown lynn is a now defunt NZ brand that made mid century everyday tablewear and vases
its highly collectable
$2 from the hospice shop
no chips, cracks or grazing, just very dusty
it only had its number on its base 154 rather than crown lynn
the big swans go for hundreds of dollars but mine is just a small one

this is a cracked one on trade me (NZ Ebay) currently at $54, 10 bidders
1900193076.jpg

this one has had its head glued back on
1899889510.jpg

and they wnat $65 for it

this one is perfect and they want nearly $400 for it but im not sure its worth that much
1896458494.jpg

im very happy with mine

RMOO

Brilliant_Rock
crown lynn is a now defunt NZ brand that made mid century everyday tablewear and vases
its highly collectable
$2 from the hospice shop

1900193076.jpg

1899889510.jpg

and they wnat $65 for it

this one is perfect and they want nearly $400 for it but im not sure its worth that much
1896458494.jpg

im very happy with mine

Oh that's a beautiful find! Lucky you!

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
its highly collectable
$2 from the hospice shop

1900193076.jpg

1899889510.jpg

and they wnat $65 for it

1896458494.jpg

im very happy with mine

Cool find, Daisy!
Very mid century, and so pretty!

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Love that swan @Daisys and Diamonds so pretty and amazing you found it in such great shape too!

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
its highly collectable
$2 from the hospice shop

1900193076.jpg

1899889510.jpg

and they wnat $65 for it

1896458494.jpg

im very happy with mine

That’s lovely, and the fact that it’s in great shape and you got it for next to nothing is a lovely bonus!

rungirl

Shiny_Rock
its highly collectable
$2 from the hospice shop

1900193076.jpg

1899889510.jpg

and they wnat $65 for it

1896458494.jpg

im very happy with mine

Great find, @Daisys and Diamonds !

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Cool find, Daisy!
Very mid century, and so pretty!

i could not belave it when i saw it sitting there in a pile of junk (mind you go back 20 years and my mother would have called crown lynn junk -in fact i bet she threw out the really big ealy mid century vases she inhertied from her aunt, when she sold our holiday house)

the first time i realized it was collectable was when Gary's sister showed me her dinnerset she had been collecting
mum actually had two crown lynn dinner sets from new in the 70's we used at the beach (house) and us two kids had nursery rhym breakfast sets - but it would all have been thrown out
they are a bit rustic (I think they made the NZ railways cups and saucers) as far as dinner wear goes but it was at least made in NZ
saddly all the cheap imports killed the factory off

i use a coffee mug from Charles and Di's wedding daily that is crown lynn, so much smaller than the mugs we have today

i knew that number on the base of the swan was a very good sign
but did not then know that this smaller swan only ever had a number, not the brand name
i thought well for $2 and for charity i cant go wrong (i did give them an extra $5 for it when i paid as a donation) because i only had a hunch and i didnt have my phone on me to google

i do feel a bit sad nobody knew what it was, from the family who donated it to the hospice shop worker who priced it

the big swans go for around $700
ill have to keep looking for bargains as my swan is lonely

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
i could not belave it when i saw it sitting there in a pile of junk (mind you go back 20 years and my mother would have called crown lynn junk -in fact i bet she threw out the really big ealy mid century vases she inhertied from her aunt, when she sold our holiday house)

the first time i realized it was collectable was when Gary's sister showed me her dinnerset she had been collecting
mum actually had two crown lynn dinner sets from new in the 70's we used at the beach (house) and us two kids had nursery rhym breakfast sets - but it would all have been thrown out
they are a bit rustic (I think they made the NZ railways cups and saucers) as far as dinner wear goes but it was at least made in NZ
saddly all the cheap imports killed the factory off

i use a coffee mug from Charles and Di's wedding daily that is crown lynn, so much smaller than the mugs we have today

i knew that number on the base of the swan was a very good sign
but did not then know that this smaller swan only ever had a number, not the brand name
i thought well for $2 and for charity i cant go wrong (i did give them an extra $5 for it when i paid as a donation) because i only had a hunch and i didnt have my phone on me to google

i do feel a bit sad nobody knew what it was, from the family who donated it to the hospice shop worker who priced it

the big swans go for around $700
ill have to keep looking for bargains as my swan is lonely

Thanks for educating me about Crown Lynn.
It would be amazing to find some in my neck of the woods!

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks for educating me about Crown Lynn.
It would be amazing to find some in my neck of the woods!

its certainly possible
not the same history, but i have a bid on a Dutch royal family item on trade me right now
wold have belonged to some one's NZ oma

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Here's a pair of English sterling silver sugar tongs from c. 1760 that arrived today. They're unmarked, but I'm a silver collector and recognized them. A repair or two, including that bad hip job on the left, but still--not bad for $18.50. Feeling pretty smug.

IMG_5527.jpeg

Amber St. Clare

Brilliant_Rock
I have some of those magnet clasps, but a I am always afraid they will come apart and I don't want to lose it.
Has this happened to anyone?
My grandmother had similar sugar tongs, but they were dragons! I always wanted them, but they got "lost"when she died.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have some of those magnet clasps, but a I am always afraid they will come apart and I don't want to lose it.
Has this happened to anyone?
My grandmother had similar sugar tongs, but they were dragons! I always wanted them, but they got "lost"when she died.

i have used those claps on cheapie necklaces with no problem but i would not recommend taking a jersey/sweater off over your head as i had the clasp give way at work taking my apron off at the end of the day

i am sorry your grandma's sugar tongs got lost
especially as you loved them :(2

Last edited:

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
so i had a wee splurge on trade me (NZ ebay)
s-l500.jpg

this was $10.50
its a nice useable size
my one has some crazing on the back which surprizes me as the '80's wernt that long ago !
i may try the boil in milk method
also for $1 i got the mug on the left of Wilhelm Alexander and Maxima (still having phone problems so these arnt my photos)

c5e3f9f5-6f5e-4402-b7c4-0e6c6b877a56.jpg

this is my first 'foreign' piece, when their majiesties visited NZ i really wish i had taken the day off work and gone to stand in line as they did a walk about in Wellington somewhere
and then

somewhat in disgrace i also got this for a $1
its very small
i am hiding him behind his mother somewhere in the cabinet in the spair /cat's bedroom in the way i hide naughty Edward viii behind his mother Queen Mary
but i couldnt beer for the Queen's favourite son to end up at the tip
he was our comander in cheif of my regimant when i was in the army
all ranks used to speak highly of him
Sarah still loves him
1890586237.jpg

i was however never going to pay more than $1 for him

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
ok becaue there is always more with me i also brought this but it hasnt arrived yet
Its one year old William and Diana
did not realize it was going to be sooooooo small but it will squeese into the cabinet better :lol-2:
305478629_5520055748081403_2609364360048351118_n.jpg

and because i have some sort of serouse problem and not that much wall space one from the then very overpriced Frankly mint collectables
i do not desire to buy the whole flamming set but something about this one in the rain just appealed to me
images

oh sh*t o_O
i brought this one instead :lol-2:

s-l500.jpg

$9
oh well they regulary have them down the salvation army shop
which always makes me feel sad :(2

LorettaB

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I don't think I've posted about this yet. I can't believe I haven't. Late last year while in a thrift store, I gathered up a pile of dog blankets for my dog, who would happily chew the house down if given enough time. One "blanket" was really soft and had the most beautiful design. I didn't think anything of it until I got it home and took another look at it. Among the armload of cheap throws and such I had picked up a (pristine) shawl with the tag that read "Loro Piana" and "100% cashmere." Then I checked out the prices....whoaaaaa!!! Needless to say BJ will not have that one for her bedding. This one is all mine...for $17.99. IMG_3291.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_3290.JPG
    IMG_3290.JPG
    152.9 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_3289.JPG
    IMG_3289.JPG
    139.4 KB · Views: 57

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
I don't think I've posted about this yet. I can't believe I haven't. Late last year while in a thrift store, I gathered up a pile of dog blankets for my dog, who would happily chew the house down if given enough time. One "blanket" was really soft and had the most beautiful design. I didn't think anything of it until I got it home and took another look at it. Among the armload of cheap throws and such I had picked up a (pristine) shawl with the tag that read "Loro Piana" and "100% cashmere." Then I checked out the prices....whoaaaaa!!! Needless to say BJ will not have that one for her bedding. This one is all mine...for $17.99. IMG_3291.JPG

OMG I am totally jealous!!!

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Wow, Loretta!
That shawl is $$$$!
What a great find!!!

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@LorettaB, that’s an amazing find, gorgeous!

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ok folks, I'm getting a bit closer to my dream of finding a 2 ct. diamond in a shoebox at a yard sale!
How about a .30 in a plastic baggie at the antique mall?

Yesterday I walked into my current favorite antique mall and into my favorite booth there.
I got all this stuff for $8.00 (20% off sale)

More spoons!
The silver spoon on the left is Norway, 1872 (.840 silver)
The second silver spoon is Finland 1933 (.814 silver)

The pocket watch is gold filled, 1899-1910. The guilloche face is beautiful, and it keeps perfect time!

The little bag of jewelry is junk except for the 14k and diamond ring!
The ring is a size 4.75, set with a .30 diamond (by measurement)
It is very white, it looks whiter than my G diamonds.
Don't ask me why this lady is selling great stuff for pennies. I'm positive she's not looking at the marks on anything.

I took this first pic before I opened the bags.
IMG_20230124_135752601~3.jpg

IMG_20230125_084140200.jpg

IMG_20230125_084438696~2.jpg

IMG_20230125_083216660.jpg

IMG_20230125_083517385~2.jpg

Last edited:

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@stracci2000

Wow, you go girl, that is an amazing haul you got there! Can’t believe they have $3 marked on a bag with a gold and diamond ring, blows my mind that people don’t check these things!

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@stracci2000

Wow, you go girl, that is an amazing haul you got there! Can’t believe they have $3 marked on a bag with a gold and diamond ring, blows my mind that people don’t check these things!

It was actually $2.40.... 'cause 20% off .......
I have found so many great things in this booth.

I'm thinking of changing the diamond into a solitaire pendant.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results