shape
carat
color
clarity

Who wants to see my haul from today?

Rubymal

Shiny_Rock
Hope I can join in on this thread with some of my finds. My fiance and I are getting married later this year and had appointments with some vendors in the town our venue is located. Afterwards, we decided to visit the historic downtown area. The place is filled with antique shops, some with even 3 levels filled! We ended up finding a box full of old family photos, it was a bit depressing seeing someone's memories just tossed all into a box.
20190407_155222.jpg
I'm a pretty sentimental person so I purchased one of the photographs to keep and treasure. It was a bit overpriced at $2 plus tax, but hey...
20190413_131749.jpg
At another shop, I came across this vintage horse pin, seems to be acrylic or some sort of plastic. The shop had no information on it. A bit pricey at ten bucks, but it was the only trinket I bought.
20190413_131741.jpg
The town is having an antique fair in a couple of weeks and I'm debating whether or not I should make the hours drive to go! I'd never gone antique shopping before and found it really fun. I almost bought a set of beautiful, monogrammed silverware, but luckily, the fiance stopped me :lol-2:

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Rubymal
Please join us! We love to see each others wacky and wonderful finds. I have spent way too much time looking at boxes of vintage and antique photos, and reading old postcards.

Reactions: AV_

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I found a few things at the thrift stores today.
An unmarked Fenton opalescent ruffled bowl
An American cut glass cruet, sans stopper
A Belleek shamrock creamer
A wild (in my opinion) Eastern Star cup and saucer
A Dresden chocolate cup
A super sweet Madame Alexander doll from 1965
And also an amazing vintage ashtray with rhinestones and three little feet.
IMG_20190413_150054006.jpg IMG_20190413_150253017.jpg
IMG_20190413_161843458.jpg

Last edited:

mina78

Rough_Rock
@Rubymal
Please join us! We love to see each others wacky and wonderful finds. I have spent way too much time looking at boxes of vintage and antique photos, and reading old postcards.

Here are my best finds from the last 4 weeks:

IMG-6459.jpg
18ct gold clip on earrings by Italian maker Chiampesan (total weight 4.6 grams) - £35

IMG-6264.jpg
14ct gold Lapis Lazuli pendant - £1.50

IMG-6294.jpg
9ct gold cufflinks by Deakin & Francis - £2.40

IMG-6277.jpg
Antique platinum & gold ring - £10

IMG-6464.jpg
9ct white gold and jade ring - £10

IMG-6462.jpg
19th Century uranium glass bead necklace - £2

IMG-6320.jpg
Christian Dior costume brooch - £1

And my best find of the past month has to be:

IMG-6448.jpg
14k gold and diamond necklace (1ctw) - £2.50

natasha-cupcake

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Am I reading that correctly? A 14k gold and diamond necklace for two and a half British pounds sterling? That's insane! :eek2:

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here are my best finds from the last 4 weeks:

IMG-6459.jpg
18ct gold clip on earrings by Italian maker Chiampesan (total weight 4.6 grams) - £35

IMG-6264.jpg
14ct gold Lapis Lazuli pendant - £1.50

IMG-6294.jpg
9ct gold cufflinks by Deakin & Francis - £2.40

IMG-6277.jpg
Antique platinum & gold ring - £10

IMG-6464.jpg
9ct white gold and jade ring - £10

IMG-6462.jpg
19th Century uranium glass bead necklace - £2

IMG-6320.jpg
Christian Dior costume brooch - £1

And my best find of the past month has to be:

IMG-6448.jpg
14k gold and diamond necklace (1ctw) - £2.50
Incredible finds!
I especially love the jade ring.
You have a talent for finding the treasure!

meely

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hope I can join in on this thread with some of my finds. My fiance and I are getting married later this year and had appointments with some vendors in the town our venue is located. Afterwards, we decided to visit the historic downtown area. The place is filled with antique shops, some with even 3 levels filled! We ended up finding a box full of old family photos, it was a bit depressing seeing someone's memories just tossed all into a box.
20190407_155222.jpg
I'm a pretty sentimental person so I purchased one of the photographs to keep and treasure. It was a bit overpriced at $2 plus tax, but hey...

I totally agree. On rootschat there are sometimes threads where people have bought boxes of photos/family memorabilia and they manage to trace who they were and sometimes give them back to surviving family. Always think that's very cool.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow so many great finds lately! @stracci2000 that has to be the most glam ashtray I've ever seen!

@mina78 really incredible finds, the diamond necklace is just....wow!

@Rubymal those photographs are so sweet and I adore the horse pin.

We are doing some demo here and my older son is on vacation this week (seriously why is there not a wine delivery truck...Wine on Wheels) so it is crazy this week but you know couldn't resist stopping into Cheers!

We were in a turquoise mood today, first pic is the whole bunch and then some closer pictures of some marks on the turquoise pieces. The two rings on my pointer finger are cz but really cute and the ring on my pinky is a rhinestone in an older silver setting with some great detail.

Marcasite cross next to pinky and below that is a neat pin/pendant marked QT on the back and the other smaller one with the seven round turquoise stones is also a pin/pendant marked "weebothe".

IMG_4220.JPG IMG_4221.JPG IMG_4222.JPG IMG_4223.JPG IMG_4224.JPG IMG_4225.JPG IMG_4226.JPG IMG_4227.JPG IMG_4228.JPG IMG_4229.JPG

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
And a couple outside shots with the rhinestone and cz rings

IMG_4245.JPG IMG_4246.JPG

mina78

Rough_Rock
Am I reading that correctly? A 14k gold and diamond necklace for two and a half British pounds sterling? That's insane! :eek2:

Thanks! Believe it or not this was actually an eBay purchase, it was described as a sequin gold coloured necklace, which is so bizarre.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I shared this in a few places today but figured I would post a pic here too. Came in the mail today this lovely vintage (most likely lab) ruby eternity band from RubyLane. Liking this a whole lot.

IMG_4263.JPG

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I shared this in a few places today but figured I would post a pic here too. Came in the mail today this lovely vintage (most likely lab) ruby eternity band from RubyLane. Liking this a whole lot.

IMG_4263.JPG
Gorgeous! :love:You have very good taste, Steph!

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@stracci2000, of course I have good taste, I like you don't I? :P2

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
@StephanieLynn , That spider is just amazing!!!! I love it! Looks like a Mintabie opal from Australia (:

And not a pawn shop/estate/garage sale/thriftstore find this time but I found this little stunner on ebay.

The seller was this military looking man and he was selling this in a sea of vintage postcards.
20190223_100726.jpg 20190223_100752.jpg

I purchased it for $130 and it came with an appraisal by a jeweler long ago with a very high color and clarity. He had it as "OEC" but doesnt look it at all to me. Its set in a 14k white and yellow gold vintage ring.

I still love it none the less for the wrong characterization. Its about 4.3 mm but the high color and clarity make it seem much larger!
Ive always wanted an oxidized SS ring with a nice lil diamond so I plan on taking this out and saving the setting to melt down later.

Very excited for this project! The oxidized silver and the sparkly white diamond....what my dreams are made of!

Also for some reason im great at photographing colored stones but since im such a diamond newbie im awful at it and all of my diamonds arent given a fair chance! Haha

I'll have to post the finished ring later!

Hey girls! :mrgreen2:
Its been so long so I'm not sure if you ladies remembered, but, I had the diamond taken out of my vintage gold ring (it was much too small and I dreamed of a modern signet) and had this ring made! It fits my index finger and middle but it oddly looks great on my thumb; which ive never found a ring that does.

Its a gypsy set diamond with a little oxidized sun around it; I'd like to call it my "Mini Signet".

Something about this ring just "feels right". It feels like it will bring me luck and it sort of reminds me of an eye which has a wide variety of meanings and symbolism throughout different cultures dating thousands of years back.

I truly wanted a brushed sterling silver signet-type ring with a diamond that I could wear 24/7. Even in the shower, even while gardening if i wanted to. This might sound crazy but as long as I've owned jewelry I've always taken them off when showering or getting wet. Ive babied my pieces my whole life but I wanted something substantial that would look interesting with the marks that come with age when worn all the time.

I also envisioned my loved ones remembering me always wearing this ring in my twenties. Just my odd sentimentality I guess. It reminds me of the time that I bought perfume that smelled exactly like fresh growing lilacs, just for my children while they're little, as I want them to remember their mother smelling as so; so when I eventually leave this earth the scent of lilacs brings them back to me and they can remember all of the beautiful moments that we shared when they were tiny.

Btw @stracci2000 & @StephanieLynn , I've loved lurking on this thread, oogling both of your lovely finds! My momma raised me with the thrill of the hunt so I find searching for a great deal on antique or vintage pieces much more fulfilling than purchasing a newly made ring. Please never stop posting your finds ladies!!!!

Without further adieu..... Heres my mini-signet girl! :kiss2:
20190418_180704.jpg 20190418_180639.jpg 20190418_180701.jpg 20190418_180617.jpg 20190418_180658.jpg

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@TheGarnetGirl, I love your new ring and would never thought it would make such a great thumb ring but it totally works. It's funny you mention taking rings off before showering because I totally do that now. Mind you I have this chipped OEC I spent $600 and I baby that ring more than anything else I own, maybe because she has obviously had a rough start.

Anyways this ring is perfect, a good weight nice and substantial and really makes the diamond the star, great job!

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@TheGarnetGirl , this ring is so perfect!
Yay for sterling!
I know this is PS and all, and some ladies might scoff at diamonds in sterling, but I think they are very cool!
But of course, I am kinda weird and I love anything that is different or unusual.
I have several sterling/diamond rings and pendants, which I made myself, and I like them very much!
Did your regular jeweler (from Philly?) make this for you?

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
Thank you both!
It might not be perfectly made but in silver jewelry thats what I love and cherish the most; a nice custom piece that looks handmade.
@StephanieLynn , I think id be inclined to do the same if I had your gorgeous diamond, especially if it has lived a life before me and gained a small chip. Baby that ring all you want!!

It was so different for me going into the design of the ring with the intent of wearing it 24/7 if I choose, but it helped in making those decisions that would allow me to wear it that way.
Theres something very freeing in being able to wear a piece of jewelry through anything, or at least i see it that way since even my cheapest silver finds have been babied since the dawn of time.
Thats why im so confident in me owning an emerald engagement ring, I'm someone thats hyper aware of my rings when theyre on and i never forget to take them off or on.
*knocks on wood* :shock:

& @stracci2000 , Other than our love for hunting for jewelry and antique finds, and our love for silver and silversmithing, I see we have yet another in common; I am definetely in that weird club :mrgreen2: I'm never changing either!
What would life be without the strange and intriguing?! PS needs weird gals to show them what they might or might not like...throw a little wrench in their idea of what beautiful jewelry should be.
Ok I definetely drank too much coffee today!:appl:
I cannot wait until i can make my own silver-diamond pieces at will! My favorite of yours that i have seen is your snake ring with a lovely white diamond!
The combo of the silvery-white metal and equally bright diamond just knocks my socks off!
Glad to see theres another weird one to appreciate the combo!
& I originally wanted him to create this piece as hes my go-to silver smith...just a great guy but he was going through something difficult in his life and needed a break from his bench. So I actually tried a different bench that had made a gold ring for me in the past, and i was a little nervous for him to work with silver but i love the outcome!

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Happy Sunday Vintage Friends!

Happy Easter to those who celebrate and for everyone else hope you are having a great weekend. I was hit with the stomach bug this weekend so no shopping at least in person.

However I did purchase a ring with a half carat center diamond for $250 online which I hope to reset into this ring which is authentic Art Deco (stamped 10% platinum iridium) and put the pink sapphire in the other setting. The diamond I bought is definitely the right size, eye clean and looks good in pictures so let's hope it works out :pray:

Any finds out there this weekend or maybe projects in the works? :twisted2:

IMG_3145.JPG

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Happy Sunday Vintage Friends!

Happy Easter to those who celebrate and for everyone else hope you are having a great weekend. I was hit with the stomach bug this weekend so no shopping at least in person.

However I did purchase a ring with a half carat center diamond for $250 online which I hope to reset into this ring which is authentic Art Deco (stamped 10% platinum iridium) and put the pink sapphire in the other setting. The diamond I bought is definitely the right size, eye clean and looks good in pictures so let's hope it works out :pray:

Any finds out there this weekend or maybe projects in the works? :twisted2:

IMG_3145.JPG
I hope you feel better soon! I hate having a stomach bug..:sick:
I’m torn @StephanieLynn! I LOVE the way your pink sapphire looks in the setting..BUT..I’m happy you found a diamond that makes you happy! Great buy!

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Mamabean, I've really gone back and forth on whether to swap the sapphire out or not. On the plus side the setting the current diamond is in has a small diamond on each side so that should be a nice setting for the sapphire. Plus couldn't pass up 1/2 a carat for $250!

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
@Mamabean, I've really gone back and forth on whether to swap the sapphire out or not. On the plus side the setting the current diamond is in has a small diamond on each side so that should be a nice setting for the sapphire. Plus couldn't pass up 1/2 a carat for $250!
I don’t know how you find these bargains!
You could swap in the diamond and live with it..Same with the sapphire in the diamond’s setting. You could always swap it back if you miss the sapphire in the Art Deco setting. I can’t wait to see them set!

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Mamabean pure luck I think, sometimes it's just being in the right place at the right time. Will definitely share the results!

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, that's a great ring for $250!
The diamond looks real nice.
It'll be beautiful! I'm looking forward to seeing the finished piece.:razz:

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yeah I'm kind of excited and nervous about it all at the same time. The seller had this ring listed at a higher price but was willing to consider offers so thought I'd take a chance on it.

natasha-cupcake

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
You twist my arm ;)2

IMG_4285.jpg
IMG_4286.jpg
That's really cute! I almost bought a similar one, but I'm trying to stay disciplined and not spend money indiscriminately. I want to work on two or three larger projects, instead of being distracted by the smaller ones. It's so difficult, though! We'll have to get together again, so I can admire all of your new acquisitions. :mrgreen2:

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@natasha-cupcake I hear you on reigning yourself in, although it doesn't seem that way with me lol! Actually this ring I got specifically for the diamond to use to restore my platinum set to original otherwise I'm not really looking unless a cute band pops up for an amazing price.

I keep thinking that I need to email you and then I get pulled in another direction, we are doing some major backyard renovations so hopefully when that is done we can meet up again.

Now you have my attention about your larger projects......is it something you can share here or would you rather over coffee?

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
From Goodwill. It was less than a tank of gas!
14k with little single cut diamonds.
IMG_20190424_224327414.jpg

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@stracci2000 what an amazing find especially for less than a tank!

My 1/2 carat came today and although the seller said she *thought* she saw a chip near a prong this well loved beauty has chips on three sides from what I can see :sick: Given the placement of these I don't know that my miracle worker jeweler can had them under the prongs in the setting I have but I'm going to bring it to him anyways and see what he says.

It is a beautiful stone and very clean, I just wish ALL of the chips had been disclosed, I would have offered far less or not bought it at all.

IMG_4292.JPG IMG_4295.JPG IMG_4296.JPG IMG_4297.JPG IMG_4298.JPG IMG_4300.JPG IMG_4305.JPG IMG_4306.JPG

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results