shape
carat
color
clarity

Who wants to see my haul from today?

natasha-cupcake

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Speaking of "Mahhvalez" (really dating myself--I bet nobody even gets that cultural reference!), I got to see @StephanieLynn's amazing OEC. IRL, the chip is miniscule and not noticeable unless you get super close and really look. The diamond is so sparkly, has a beautiful facet pattern and is very white. My guess is G/H or possibly even better.

We had a blast over coffee. My first time meeting another Price Scoper. We're thinking of planning a little field trip in the future--maybe some pawn shop prowling or some other diamond/jewel destination within driving distance.

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
Thank you ladies for your sweet comments!

& @stracci2000 Yes!
I love ebay! I can always find thrift store prices; deals don't discriminate by location, only by how much effort you're willing to put in to look for them!! :P2

& I wish that i could put a new stone into the setting but its about one whole size too small!
If i dont like settings whether they are silver or gold, i always keep them for melting when I become serious about making jewelry!
Or I can always sell them together on a platform for melting if i need the money.

I also won this girl at auction on eBay, but Im not sure exactly what style she is; art deco? Bohemian? She's a mixed metals lady with 14k white and yellow gold with a nice large carnelian. I just love how the enamel reminded me of stained glass and I dont own any gold carnelian rings so I had to get her! She was only 120$ with shipping. I guess 100-130 has been my lucky number these days!
The seller doesnt have the best photos of her but sometimes thats a great thing if you can still see beauty in a piece!
s-l400 (15).jpg s-l400 (21).jpg

& this little heart shaped diamond i DID purchase at a pawn shop in town. It was a little more than id like to pay @100 but its worth it! She came in this hiddeous white gold 5-prong setting that made her sit way too high and is about 1/2 size too large for my pinky.
Its 4mm on all sides and is such a dainty little thing! Eventually in the summer i want to set it in a very simple bezeled rose gold gal (:
I dont have much experience with clarity enhanced diamonds when it comes to the average sparkle vs. The famous clarity enhanced flash, so im a little worried. I took a loop to her and only see the average color throw that my other diamonds give that I have no doubts about but in some photos i take she will show that purple-blue flash.
Any opinions on whether this little heart may be clarity enhanced? Im sure they show up on a diamond tester too, but if its any help she rang true.
I dont see any blueish purple flash from the bottom of the diamond when turned upside down, only in pictures. My gut says its natural because ive never owned a heart shaped diamond before and im sure light performance differs from the brilliant cut and OEC I own, so I'm truly just not sure at all.
20190225_065540.jpg 20190225_065604.jpg 20190225_065735.jpg 20190225_070150~2.jpg 20190225_070228~2.jpg

& Here is an example of why I'm slightly worried, as you can see when i snap some photos of the sparkle throw, it only picks up blueish purples.
20190225_070808.jpg

Last edited:

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you ladies for your sweet comments!

& @stracci2000 Yes!
I love ebay! I can always find thrift store prices; deals don't discriminate by location, only by how much effort you're willing to put in to look for them!! :P2

& I wish that i could put a new stone into the setting but its about one whole size too small!
If i dont like settings whether they are silver or gold, i always keep them for melting when I become serious about making jewelry!
Or I can always sell them together on a platform for melting if i need the money.

I also won this girl at auction on eBay, but Im not sure exactly what style she is; art deco? Bohemian? She's a mixed metals lady with 14k white and yellow gold with a nice large carnelian. I just love how the enamel reminded me of stained glass and I dont own any gold carnelian rings so I had to get her! She was only 120$ with shipping. I guess 100-130 has been my lucky number these days!
The seller doesnt have the best photos of her but sometimes thats a great thing if you can still see beauty in a piece!
s-l400 (15).jpg s-l400 (21).jpg

& this little heart shaped diamond i DID purchase at a pawn shop in town. It was a little more than id like to pay @100 but its worth it! She came in this hiddeous white gold 5-prong setting that made her sit way too high and is about 1/2 size too large for my pinky.
Its 4mm on all sides and is such a dainty little thing! Eventually in the summer i want to set it in a very simple bezeled rose gold gal (:
I dont have much experience with clarity enhanced diamonds when it comes to the average sparkle vs. The famous clarity enhanced flash, so im a little worried. I took a loop to her and only see the average color throw that my other diamonds give that I have no doubts about but in some photos i take she will show that purple-blue flash.
Any opinions on whether this little heart may be clarity enhanced? Im sure they show up on a diamond tester too, but if its any help she rang true.
I dont see any blueish purple flash from the bottom of the diamond when turned upside down, only in pictures. My gut says its natural because ive never owned a heart shaped diamond before and im sure light performance differs from the brilliant cut and OEC I own, so I'm truly just not sure at all.
20190225_065540.jpg 20190225_065604.jpg 20190225_065735.jpg 20190225_070150~2.jpg 20190225_070228~2.jpg

& Here is an example of why I'm slightly worried, as you can see when i snap some photos of the sparkle throw, it only picks up blueish purples.
20190225_070808.jpg
Nice finds! The carnelian is really nice. Maybe 1960s-70s? Or Art deco....hmmm!
It looks kinda "mod" to me. But I have not seen the underside which can give clues, too.
And that heart diamond is so special!
So what if it's clarity enhanced, it's still cool!

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@stracci2000, I have seen a couple of pics you have shared on PS (one in the hair thread) and darling you look marvelous ;-)
Ok, now I have an excuse to post this photo.
This was the most exciting day ever!
In 2014, I volunteered to work at the Antiques Roadshow when it came to my town.
Wes Cowan, Leigh Keno and Ken Farmer. And me!
20140719_073042.jpg

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@stracci2000, you are so LUCKY! What an awesome opportunity. So what was the coolest thing you saw that day? Is it utter chaos or pretty well organized? It always looks like there are so many people there!

You have great hair, thick and beautiful and great color. I don't know if you have to put a lot of effort into it but it looks effortless and beautiful. My hair has looked truly great maybe a half dozen times in my life with one being my wedding day. It is fine and likes to go flat on me unless I throw a whole pharmacy shelf worth of products at it. I am happy to have it though because some women struggle with hair loss so I'm thankful for what I've got.

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@StephanieLynn, I got to work at the "pottery and porcelain" table.
I kept the lines back and let people up one at a time to see the appraisers. Some people in line showed me their items, but things were moving quickly, so it was hard to examine anything too closely. I got on camera a few times, but no close-ups!
I didn't get away from that table very much, so I never got over to see the jewelry,:( or any other table to check out other stuff.

The very best part was getting to talk to the appraisers.
They were all so nice and friendly. I was on "Cloud 9" for many days afterward. I'm sure I was gushing a little taking to the Keno Brothers!

About the hair, I don't really do anything, but use a round brush to style it. I have wide streaks of white mostly in the back. It's kinda weird that way!
I have a great hairdresser who gives me a good cut.

Last edited:

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
Ok, now I have an excuse to post this photo.
This was the most exciting day ever!
In 2014, I volunteered to work at the Antiques Roadshow when it came to my town.
Wes Cowan, Leigh Keno and Ken Farmer. And me!
20140719_073042.jpg

Hmmmm....Stracci!!!

You never told me that youre GORGEOUS?!?!
What the heck!
No but really, you are so stunning!!
:kiss2::P2

Im not sure why but I imagined you blonde! How funny how we create these little images of what someone may look like based on their personality.

And lucky you! My mother and I have watched Antiques roadshow together for years!!

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hmmmm....Stracci!!!

You never told me that youre GORGEOUS?!?!
What the heck!
No but really, you are so stunning!!
:kiss2::P2

Im not sure why but I imagined you blonde! How funny how we create these little images of what someone may look like based on their personality.

And lucky you! My mother and I have watched Antiques roadshow together for years!!
Thank you for the lovely compliments, @TheGarnetGirl , and @StephanieLynn!
If you watch the Roadshow, then you may understand how thrilling it was to pose for this photo......
20140719_194658.jpg

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here is a cute little monogram ring I picked up on eBay.
I used to have one that my grandmother gave to me, dating to 1919. It was a gift from her parents when she turned 16. Unfortunately it is no longer in my possession.
I've always been sad about that, so I started looking around, and I found this one.
This one is similar, and about the same age.
IMG_20190226_090515.jpg

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Here is a cute little monogram ring I picked up on eBay.
I used to have one that my grandmother gave to me, dating to 1919. It was a gift from her parents when she turned 16. Unfortunately it is no longer in my possession.
I've always been sad about that, so I started looking around, and I found this one.
This one is similar, and about the same age.
IMG_20190226_090515.jpg
I love it! I just had a new shank put on my 93 year old mom’s initial ring. It looks very similar but my mom’s ring is more plain.

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
@stracci2000 , aww! I love the story behind your new monogram ring. Its such a sweet little memory that you now have a physical form of. ❤ Ive actually been interested in signet rings also but for my zodiac sign, capricorn. I purchased a couple of them, one a size 12 mens ring that i plan on resizing that is solid 14k and the other a 9k rose gold and onyx intaligo.

And the carnelian mixed metals ring came in today!
Im so torn too!
;(
The good:
-it fits my pointer and middle fingers perfectly, just perfect.
-it looks so nice on, i truly love how it looks and feels on!
- I'm thinking that its older than i previously thought...im thinking 50s.
-& i dont have a carnelian gem set in gold in my collection, and I love this ring.

My doubts:
-it's old and has some wear including scratches on the stones face
-it's the ittiest bit loose in the setting; this is the big one...my pet-peeve are rattling stones and sadly if shaken...theres a rattle sad :((

And while $120 ultimately isn't a whole lot of money, for any other ring id send it back if the stone was the tiniest bit loose.
What do you ladies think?
Keep the ring I'm loving or send it back and find another vintage carnelian?

20190227_180520.jpg
20190227_180523.jpg
20190227_180559.jpg 20190227_180605.jpg 20190227_180608.jpg

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@stracci2000 , aww! I love the story behind your new monogram ring. Its such a sweet little memory that you now have a physical form of. ❤ Ive actually been interested in signet rings also but for my zodiac sign, capricorn. I purchased a couple of them, one a size 12 mens ring that i plan on resizing that is solid 14k and the other a 9k rose gold and onyx intaligo.

And the carnelian mixed metals ring came in today!
Im so torn too!
;(
The good:
-it fits my pointer and middle fingers perfectly, just perfect.
-it looks so nice on, i truly love how it looks and feels on!
- I'm thinking that its older than i previously thought...im thinking 50s.
-& i dont have a carnelian gem set in gold in my collection, and I love this ring.

My doubts:
-it's old and has some wear including scratches on the stones face
-it's the ittiest bit loose in the setting; this is the big one...my pet-peeve are rattling stones and sadly if shaken...theres a rattle sad :((

And while $120 ultimately isn't a whole lot of money, for any other ring id send it back if the stone was the tiniest bit loose.
What do you ladies think?
Keep the ring I'm loving or send it back and find another vintage carnelian?

20190227_180520.jpg
20190227_180523.jpg
20190227_180559.jpg 20190227_180605.jpg 20190227_180608.jpg
Ok, looking at this ring again, I think it is Egyptian Revival, 1920s.
The filigree on the sides is what makes me say this.
It is awesome! I would not send it back.
Now if you had a buffing wheel you could buff the scratches off of the stone yourself. (see? Now don't you want to get started on the jewelry making right away?) Do you have a jewelry polishing cloth? The kind with red polishing compound on one side? This could help eliminate fine scratches as well, if you rub it for a while.
And you can tighten the bezel on that stone yourself if you had a bezel pusher. Or you can just use the back edge of a teaspoon to rock back and forth on the bezel, using some pressure, to stop the rattling.

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
Ok, looking at this ring again, I think it is Egyptian Revival, 1920s.
The filigree on the sides is what makes me say this.
It is awesome! I would not send it back.
Now if you had a buffing wheel you could buff the scratches off of the stone yourself. (see? Now don't you want to get started on the jewelry making right away?) Do you have a jewelry polishing cloth? The kind with red polishing compound on one side? This could help eliminate fine scratches as well, if you rub it for a while.
And you can tighten the bezel on that stone yourself if you had a bezel pusher. Or you can just use the back edge of a teaspoon to rock back and forth on the bezel, using some pressure, to stop the rattling.

Thank you for all of that information!
I also thought that it was older, my intution was screaming at me but I dont know too too much about antique jewelry and didnt want to overestimate just because I carry the opinion that the older = the better.

& I do own a bezel pusher but have only ever used it for prongs when it comes to solid gold. I've reset a few SS rings that had a bezel but im so worried about denting the metal!

I'm going to be extremely careful and try it! The rattling is truly the only thing that bothers me!!
Other than that, i love its old world charm..
Thanks Stracci!:P2

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@stracci2000, I love the meaning behind your monogram ring find and also love the detail on the sides :kiss2:

@TheGarnetGirl, I would definitely keep that ring because it is spectacular but only if you really love it despite the rattle and surface scratches. Both of those things can be fixed and at $120, it is a great deal for a statement piece like that.

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you for all of that information!
I also thought that it was older, my intution was screaming at me but I dont know too too much about antique jewelry and didnt want to overestimate just because I carry the opinion that the older = the better.

& I do own a bezel pusher but have only ever used it for prongs when it comes to solid gold. I've reset a few SS rings that had a bezel but im so worried about denting the metal!

I'm going to be extremely careful and try it! The rattling is truly the only thing that bothers me!!
Other than that, i love its old world charm..
Thanks Stracci!:P2
Yay! You have bezel pusher! So just apply pressure working your way all around the stone. Don't rub, or you will scratch the metal.
You won't dent the metal, because there is not enough of a gap between metal and stone for that to happen. Good luck!
Edit: I should have said "bezel rocker", but you can use either one to get the job done.
27410.jpg

Last edited:

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@stracci2000, YES! I love that band and I love that stack even more. I haven't had good luck with stacking, I always end up with just two rings :lol-2:

This stack looks like it was meant to be, effortless.

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@StephanieLynn
I found that middle band when I was 16 years old, on the floor in the sewing room at school. I have always loved it, and I wear it often. Now it has a partner!

Last edited:

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@StephanieLynn
I found that middle band when I was 16 years old, on the floor in the sewing room at school. I have always loved it, and I wear it often. Now it has a partner!

No way, love a piece with a story, it is a great band with those little flowers.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A couple of little treasures today, this amazing locket and a rhinestone pin, I have another of those pins in autumn colors.

IMG_3486.JPG IMG_3487.JPG IMG_3488.JPG IMG_3489.JPG

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
A couple of little treasures today, this amazing locket and a rhinestone pin, I have another of those pins in autumn colors.

IMG_3486.JPG IMG_3487.JPG IMG_3488.JPG IMG_3489.JPG
I love lockets! This one is so pretty!
I'd love to find a vintage gold one in my price range.
(Read: under $30, :lol:)

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@stracci2000, ah that would be quite a find but you never know! Years ago my SIL (brother's wife not DH's sister) came back from a tag Sale with a solid gold charm bracelet loaded with charms that were all encrusted with precious gemstones. I think she paid $10-$20 for it!

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just had to snatch up the Belais ring that showed up this morning on LT and the Bistro, will share when I get it :dance:

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Whew it is hot today! Of course the ideal place to seek refuge is the indoor flea market! This one was a new one for us, not in the best town but figured we would give it a go. Well it turned out to be a very good day!

I got these thrown in with a bunch of stuff I bought which was all toys. The guy said "I don't know if their gold or not". Well they are gold, the top one looks like rose gold and is stamped 10K, the other one is also 10K and has the Binder Brothers mark on the clasp!! To say I was so ecstatic would be an understatement.

So that is my small haul for today, did you find some treasure this weekend? Looking at you @stracci2000 :twisted2:
I have a similar piece found in a grandparent's house. Are these watch fobs? Too short for a necklace and too long for a bracelet. I could not find markings but will look again. Same color as yours.

IMG_7775.JPG IMG_7776.JPG

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@lambskin yes watch fob chains or watch chains a lot of times they are good filled, look on the hook part for any markings or initials and come back and post if you want help figuring it out.

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
StephanieLynn, I just binged watch this entire thread! OMG! It is fantastic. You really collect cool things! And the variety! Will check out my chain. Thanks for your help.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's a fun thread right @lambskin? Hey outdoor flea market and tag sales will be starting up soon so I'm sure there will be more goodies to share! @stracci2000 hits up the estate sales every weekend too.

Definitely keep us posted on the watch chains!

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I found a few things at my local thrift shop today.
A nice English transferware place setting, from the 1890s."Bramble" by Alfred Meakin
IMG_20190308_165908.jpg
Sterling and abalone butterfly sweater clips, made in Mexico
IMG_20190308_072927.jpg IMG_20190308_071652517.jpg
An antique wooden soapbox from about 1880.
Check out her crescent shaped pearl brooch!
IMG_20190308_193815337.jpg IMG_20190308_193911814.jpg
And this really interesting Indian manuscript page. Hand painted.
It was in a frame, but if course I removed it to see the other side. I'm not sure which Indian language it is, maybe Hindi? I would love to know what it says! Beautiful women, perky boobs!
IMG_20190308_165350771.jpg IMG_20190308_165426492.jpg IMG_20190308_165403142.jpg

Last edited:
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results