shape
carat
color
clarity

who makes the sparkliest and most "perfect" channel set?

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
bands not settings. Like uniformly set and sized stones, perfect cut stones...narrowest?

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have, I am afraid it's going to be out of my price range. Especially if I decide to sell this Flyer and not get anywhere near what I paid. The difference btwn the 2, 2.5 and 3mm bands though is a lot as far as fire.

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Ame,

How about ID Jewelery? See how much they would offer you to trade in your Martin Flyer, and credit that towards a channel set band with MAZAL (quoting Bliss) diamonds.

I spoke with Yekutiel last week and asked him if he would let me, hypothetically speaking, trade in a BGD H&A for an OEC in the future. He said, sure, they'll take anything.

Something to think about... :bigsmile:

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LittleRiver|1325023108|3089565 said:
Have you seen the Tiffany channel set band? I tried on the 2 mm version and it was stunning. And I don't normally like channel settings for rounds! It is pricey though.

Great suggestion! :bigsmile:

cheers--Sharon :cheeky:

TristanC

Brilliant_Rock
Most perfect? Victor Carnera.

Others may say leon m or steven k.

All are a bit more expensive than ready made I believe...

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't know Ame. I'd really have to say that the Tiffany is worth it for those of us who are very picky. My Legacy band was too much, but I was willing to pay it on a smaller item because those little beads really are perfect. However, if someone would let you trade in the Martin Flyer band, that would be better. What is the height of your current settings? The Tiffany is set low and would work whereas many others are set higher and might not. That is the one thing you'd have to be careful about. (Actually, that 2mm WF band looks nice. It would be worth a try if it could be returned if you didn't like it.)

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
I knew I should have posted this in the original message, but I won't patronize Whiteflash again. Ever. So unfortunately for those who recommended them, that will NEVER be an option. Ever. Ever.

Since I doubt Ill be able to return this Flyer to the local jeweler, and I just can't keep shelling out the money, the Tiffany would require a LONG time to save for, even after I sold the Flyer. Like we're talking two years. Even though Im not buying an eternity probably. Leon and VC are probably along those same lines, though I don't think Leon will make a ring that's meant to last, especially since I'd wear it with other rings. I might try ID. I have never purchased from them though, but since I know very little about them or their diamond quality, I am a little anxious. I know Facets/SP has nice stones, never had a channel from them though.

Stargurl how wide is your band from SP? Is that 2mm?

DS: the height of the flyer is just over 1mm, I think 1.5. Ill have to measure that. Fairly low, and I'd like to keep it fairly low.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You are going to be better off with a die-struck ring like Facets if they make one the size you want. IF it is set low enough for you. Their diamonds are nice, too.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yea I think their rings are pretty well made, esp for the price. Though I don't know if they die-strike their channel set ones. I guess they probably do.

Orchid Lei

Shiny_Rock

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Orchid Lei|1325088108|3090007 said:
Facets makes pretty ones:
0.45 tcw https://www.pricescope.com/communit...ection-channel-eternity.137857/?hilit=channel
0.51 (36 stones) https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/sp-channel-set-band-is-here.63786/?hilit=channel

And this Mark Morrell one is gorgeous: https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/mwm-channel-set-eternity-band.150494/?hilit=channel

I'm curious why you want to sell your Martin Flyer band? It's so dainty and pretty and fits your set perfectly!
Because it isn't sound anymore after making them correct issues from manufacture and they refuse to rectify it, despite it being a nearly $3,000 item.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
ame|1325088710|3090017 said:
Orchid Lei|1325088108|3090007 said:
Facets makes pretty ones:
0.45 tcw https://www.pricescope.com/communit...ection-channel-eternity.137857/?hilit=channel
0.51 (36 stones) https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/sp-channel-set-band-is-here.63786/?hilit=channel

And this Mark Morrell one is gorgeous: https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/mwm-channel-set-eternity-band.150494/?hilit=channel

I'm curious why you want to sell your Martin Flyer band? It's so dainty and pretty and fits your set perfectly!
Because it isn't sound anymore after making them correct issues from manufacture and they refuse to rectify it, despite it being a nearly $3,000 item.
Someone else might find it fine, but for ME, it's not acceptable anymore.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Just across the top probably. It was like 2300 or something. But that's out of the question. I literally can put ZERO dollars into this. ZERO. If I can sell this Flyer ring to someone, those proceeds will pay for it. And there is no way someone will pay me even half what we paid for tihs ring.

stargurl78

Ideal_Rock
ame said:
I knew I should have posted this in the original message, but I won't patronize Whiteflash again. Ever. So unfortunately for those who recommended them, that will NEVER be an option. Ever. Ever.

Since I doubt Ill be able to return this Flyer to the local jeweler, and I just can't keep shelling out the money, the Tiffany would require a LONG time to save for, even after I sold the Flyer. Like we're talking two years. Even though Im not buying an eternity probably. Leon and VC are probably along those same lines, though I don't think Leon will make a ring that's meant to last, especially since I'd wear it with other rings. I might try ID. I have never purchased from them though, but since I know very little about them or their diamond quality, I am a little anxious. I know Facets/SP has nice stones, never had a channel from them though.

Stargurl how wide is your band from SP? Is that 2mm?

DS: the height of the flyer is just over 1mm, I think 1.5. Ill have to measure that. Fairly low, and I'd like to keep it fairly low.

Mine is the 2.3mm. And it sits 1.5mm off of the finger. When I first received it, it sat a tad too high so I returned it and they re-made it and now it fits perfectly.

If you just want a half eternity, they'll do that for you and it will cut down on the cost but since you are customizing it, it won't be returnable. I had mine made as a 3/4 eternity. I honestly wish I would have gone with the full eternity though because it spins and I'm constantly adjusting it.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ame, call up Yekutiel at ID Jewelry. Tell him you are a PSer. He will get you an amazing band. Many PSers can vouch for their quality.

StevL

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Hearts On Fire makes many wedding bands. Each and every diamond is ideal cut and displays perfect H&A. Shop around and you can find a reasonable price. Not nearly as expensive as their larger single diamonds.

Me'moire also make some very fine bands, their craftmanship is awesome.

Best of luck,
Steve

Blue-Seeker

Shiny_Rock
My sister-in-law has the Tiffany band with the diamonds across the top, the band that Diamondseeker linked. It's very dainty and pretty, but it's expensive for what it is, and when it spins, you'll see metal not diamonds. That would drive me crazy! Hearts on Fire eternity bands are beautiful and may be less expensive than Tiffany, for a full eternity.

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1325082038|3089961 said:
I don't know Ame. I'd really have to say that the Tiffany is worth it for those of us who are very picky. My Legacy band was too much, but I was willing to pay it on a smaller item because those little beads really are perfect. However, if someone would let you trade in the Martin Flyer band, that would be better. What is the height of your current settings? The Tiffany is set low and would work whereas many others are set higher and might not. That is the one thing you'd have to be careful about. (Actually, that 2mm WF band looks nice. It would be worth a try if it could be returned if you didn't like it.)

I've researched wedding bands to the nth degree, partly because I want one, and also because for men it's pretty much the one piece of jewelry we can wear without any controversy so since I'm not a jewelry wearer (amazing, but true- I can't stand wearing watches and I'm a watch person and I don't wear any jewelry) I thought this would be a good place to start.

I've looked at, I think, every "plain" wedding band ever sold or advertised on the internet.

This is not (completely) relevant to the OP, but I've found exactly three (3) companies that make the best solid metal wedding bands.

In no particular order in terms of quality:

Cartier
VCA (and these two are owned by the same company!)
Tiffany

That's it.

I can find nothing else that compares and further none of the rings from each of these companies resembles any of the other rings made by the other two.

So, for instance, the Cartier wedding band I want? There is one like it in the world, period.

Now, if you add diamonds, well, QC gets a lot trickier, doesn't it?

My favorite diamond band right now (no, a man could not wear it) is VC's single cut band.

The company that I think makes the "best" quality in terms of even setting of stones is Cartier (the diamonds are equal distances apart and face in the direction(s) each one should to an uncanny level while totally avoiding a machine-made look- I've never seen anything like it- I literally don't know how they do it- I suspect they use state of the art computers along with the superlative craftsman at their disposal to accomplish it).

Tiffany's rings are beautiful. I do think for the price(s) they should have stayed with VS2. I'm not saying some/ most/ or all at this time are not VS2, but I am saying that they lowered their (guaranteed) standard to SI1. I think for the price(s) they charge and for a company whose website literally has the guts to call themselves the best jewelers in the world since 1837, this is outrageous. There is simply no excuse. VCA's engagement rings (yes, melee is different, but still) are D and E, and IF down to VVS2. So, no, Tiffany does not need to be selling $2,500 half diamond bands with SI1 diamonds. They should go back to their VS2 standard and announce this unequivocally and publicly on their website IMO. Maybe most people don't study this kind of thing as a hobby, but no marketing event in Beijing is going to convince me it's a good idea for me to buy the diamond half band I actually do love vis a vis this issue.

And then as to what comes to my mind next, it's hard to say.

I adore the fact that WF and BGD have standardized quality diamonds, but the metalwork just isn't made using the manufacturing processes I like for wedding bands.

So it's tough. I don't know.

Ame, you wrote in a post awhile back you might get a plain band. You really might consider it because (and I love this) there's just no moving parts, nothing to mess up, at all. My Cartier ring is 2.5 mm, 18 kt (of course) gold, and if I can get it before another price increase, it's only $525!

I truly want gold not platinum (lucky for me) but the platinum version of the same ring is $1,075.

I do see one in your avatar (and it's beautiful, all of your pieces are, it makes me very unhappy how the jewelry industry has behaved toward you) but I don't know if you consider it a "spacer."

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thank you. I feel like I committed some grave karmatic offense somewhere because from the start...every damn ring besides the plain one has been a disaster and a half. It's caused my husband a lot of frustration and it's actually caused issues in our marriage. It brought him to the point that he is starting to believe that the universe is trying to tell us we shouldn't be married. He literally wants to never hear about rings again. Ever. And I can't keep shelling out cash.

I do have a 2mm plain band, though I wish it actually matched the vatche better. I wear it as a spacer, though it's not really a spacer.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ame, consider a bit of advice from someone who has managed to stay married a very long time. ;)) Never discuss jewelry problems with your husband. I don't promote buying expensive items without the knowledge of the other, but I do all the planning and saving for a piece I want, and then I mention to him that I'd like the item for some occasion. The less discussion the better. He really doesn't want to hear about my jewelry deliberations any more than I would want to hear about car parts or tools, so we both stay happier that way! My hubby is happy when he can give me an item that I love (because I chose it)! Come here to express your concerns to people who understand!

I think you will be making a grave mistake to just replace your MF band with whatever money you get from selling it. You'll end up with something less than perfect and you won't be satisfied. I think you should find THE band that you love and then save towards it. I have wasted money over the years buying things that weren't perfect to me, and there are almost always regrets, not to mention wasted money. That is why I am very picky now!!!

Orchid Lei

Shiny_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1325267851|3091642 said:
Ame, consider a bit of advice from someone who has managed to stay married a very long time. ;)) Never discuss jewelry problems with your husband. I don't promote buying expensive items without the knowledge of the other, but I do all the planning and saving for a piece I want, and then I mention to him that I'd like the item for some occasion. The less discussion the better. He really doesn't want to hear about my jewelry deliberations any more than I would want to hear about car parts or tools, so we both stay happier that way! My hubby is happy when he can give me an item that I love (because I chose it)! Come here to express your concerns to people who understand!

I think you will be making a grave mistake to just replace your MF band with whatever money you get from selling it. You'll end up with something less than perfect and you won't be satisfied. I think you should find THE band that you love and then save towards it. I have wasted money over the years buying things that weren't perfect to me, and there are almost always regrets, not to mention wasted money. That is why I am very picky now!!!

I really agree with you diamondseeker!

ame, I have similar bad ring "karma", I've had so many bad experiences and lost a lot of money. I think I've finally warded it off with my last purchase. Phew! So I understand being at the end of your rope for, in the end, "just" a piece of jewelry.

I did make my husband sick with my ring trouble. He was very understanding about it at first, but now, he won't hear a word. So I second the advice to let your DH out of it, do your thing, except of course, always discuss budgeting.

I also agree that you should only buy something you LOVE. Not a filler, if you will, because you just won't be happy with it.

Is your MF band still wearable?

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
IMO no, because it snags a lot. Someone else might disagree though. But considering how it looked not considering the stones coming damaged from MF, this is unacceptable.

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
Ame, this is most certainly distressing news. It alarms me that your DH has any thought in his head that your rings, even though I totally get that rings are symbolic/ cultural, could possibly be representative of the universe telling him or you that any of this could be or is a sign affecting your marriage.

This, as DS advised, is exactly what I would concern myself with first and foremost, and I would simply comply with your DH's request, while coming here to talk all this through with us every single day if you want. We "get" jewelry. Most people and certainly most men do not. If anyone can help you achieve any version of your perfect vision, and yes, this is what each and everyone of us wants for ourselves and for everyone else, we can.

I did not think your band was, in fact, a spacer (I've looked at a lot of bands) but since men have no experience of engagement rings and having to separate them from wedding bands, I had to ask you to be absolutely sure. It is, as I've already said, beautiful, and IIRC it is platinum, as are all of your rings.

As you know, I just lost my car after dropping my collision. I know about not having the money to make something right, presently.

I do sincerely hope that you will consider DS's advice, and also, that you will remember we can't always know what the future will hold in terms of possibility.

Only you can determine if your rings are wearable, but if you decide they aren't, you might put the diamond rings up, wear your beautiful platinum band for awhile, and put these decisions off for another day. It seems clear that these two companies have simply failed to fix these rings for you, and that sucks, but if that can't happen and selling them might not yield enough money to do something you want to do, you do have these settings, the metal, at least some of the diamonds in the band, and a beautiful keystone to work with, also settings of course don't have to be rings, and maybe the answer and the money will come to you.

That's the way I feel about my car. Frankly I have no other choice. Also, when something isn't working or something bad has happened, I'm learning it really is good to take stock of what one does have. I know I certainly still have many things that I am so lucky to have, that anyone would want, and that, sadly, so many people do not have.

Best to you. :wavey:

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thank you--and I hope you're feeling better about this. Accidents happen.

As for this....we have the money, it's just not going to be allocated for such things. We want to do a lot to our house, and I like to have a nice cushion in the bank. I haven't been adding to the cushion as much as I feel I should because of all of this, and he's sick of the disappointment, and the money that goes towards being disappointed. Touching that (savings) makes me uncomfortable, and while it's long been replenished since buying this stone, we touched it for this stone because when we saw it, we both immediately were interested in it. It was more than I wanted to spend, but it worked out perfectly.

But I do put them in the safe a LOT. I didn't wear them til yesterday for quite a while. I might wear them to dinner tonight bec IIRC this place has killer lighting. But back in they go when we return.

I don't disagree that I might get a fine ring from Tiffany or Cartier. I just can't see myself paying for those brands. And I am also still having a hell of a time imagining that a channel set will actually BE super sparkly.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results