shape
carat
color
clarity

Who can duplicate this setting?

JDDN

Ideal_Rock
Premium
With Whiteflash, the ACA and Expert Selection (and I think Premium Select) will have performance images. Ie, they will have posted the Idealscope image, the ASET image, and hearts and arrows. The IS and ASET give you information on the light return of the stone. The hearts and arrows images give you information on the precision cut of the stone.

The nice thing about an ACA or ES stone is that there isn't any guessing on whether the stone will perform, sparkle, etc. nicely as that info has been provided for you. There is a small premium since they're providing the leg work for you up front. And yes the stones are in house so they can tell you in real time info about say two or three stones you are deciding about. A virtual stone is not in house, but they can usually get one in and provide performance images for you. I'm not sure if there is a cost involved in that or not. Someone else will have to chime in.

Remember that the melee in the halo will usually be a high color, so don't go too low with the center stone. An H would be a great middle ground and even a very nicely cut I. I'd be careful going down to a J with a halo (in my opinion only!).

This is a different shaped halo than your intended is interested, but it's a gorgeous example of a WF ACA (an I color I believe) with a Victor Canera halo. I love the functionality and clean look of the plain shank and gorgeous halo. Also, make sure your GF realizes that pave rings (pave in the halo and shank) will need to be babied.

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-new-2-ct-aca-victor-canera-emilya-cushion-2-row-pave.214748/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-new-2-ct-aca-victor-canera-emilya-cushion-2-row-pave.214748/[/URL]

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
maxandsam|1444687646|3937607 said:
mrs-blop|1444685762|3937596 said:
Hi maxandsam :wavey:

Some of the jewelers we recommend here are legendary in the tightness of their settings (and though I think Steven K is a good jeweler, I'm specifically thinking of Victor Canera here).

As for the twist under the shank, I would check with your girlfriend that this is something she can live without. Although you wouldn't see it from above, you would see it from the side, and it gives a curved, softer feel to the shank - even from above - that the SK setting you linked to doesn't have. (I actually find that particular setting of Steven's very flat in the shank and a bit too square for my taste.) So if she's looking for a softer look, you might want to make that clear to whichever jeweler you eventually work with.

Hi there!

Is there a reason you would say Victor over Steven? Is it mainly the design of tightness of halo? (I have been reading both of those and generalizations I have found is that Victor is more and perhaps there is concern over Steven using cast vs all hand forged?)

I took a look at this other ring of his and this looks very good also and is "softer." I did not hear my gf mention anything about the softness from the side. I think I am way more obsessed with this than she is hahah: http://www.stevenkirsch.com/engagement/halo/r0135.html

maxandsam -

I think Victor's work is consistently perfect and I think his attention to detail is better. Someone in this thread has posted an email comparing the work of Victor, Steven, and a third, 'in contention' jeweler - Leon Mege. When it comes down to micro detail, Victor comes out ahead. I, too, have had SK issues. and would not work with him again. His craftsmanship is generally wonderful, and most people here love him. But there's the occasional complaint, which I think isn't the case with Victor and that, combined with an almost genius level of expertise, puts Victor ahead for me.

maxandsam

Rough_Rock
JDDN|1444761811|3937884 said:
This is a different shaped halo than your intended is interested, but it's a gorgeous example of a WF ACA (an I color I believe) with a Victor Canera halo. I love the functionality and clean look of the plain shank and gorgeous halo. Also, make sure your GF realizes that pave rings (pave in the halo and shank) will need to be babied.

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-new-2-ct-aca-victor-canera-emilya-cushion-2-row-pave.214748/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-new-2-ct-aca-victor-canera-emilya-cushion-2-row-pave.214748/[/URL]

Holy cow! that example is beautiful! That is an I vs2 cut. If that example is that beautiful to me, then I do not believe that I need to go higher than I VS2. I want to copy that except a little smaller!

Also thank you to the poster above that showed the 3 for comparison!! I think Victor is my preference.

So now I know to narrow my search to I Vs2-ish and use expert and ACA. Do you all suggest that I narrow it down to a couple and give them a call to hone it down and post here on PS? I enjoy negotiating just cause it is fun. Is there any leeway? (I'll try anyway and will still buy it if there isn't --- just wondering).

JDDN

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love mns12's ring. She has a cushion shaped halo around a round brilliant diamond. I would really consider if you (or your GF rather) want to have melee on the donut (and even the stems) as it will preclude wearing a wedding band next to the e-ring. The band will rub on the tiny melee and they will become damaged over time (or fall out). I think she wears her wedding band on her right hand if I'm remembering correctly. In any event, it's such a gorgeous ring.

You really can't go wrong with any of WF's ACA stones. There are some ES stones that look better than others, but they're a great value.

Yes, post here b/c we luurve to help with diamond selection (and setting selection if you haven't already figured that out)! You can most certainly see if they can match your budget, it never hurts to ask. :))

The other nice thing about WF's in-house stones is that if you're waffling between 2, they can do side by side comparisons for you by sending you photos or videos. May help you choose one over the other.

maxandsam

Rough_Rock
kb1gra|1444773331|3937968 said:
Well if you want Victor to do the setting and you're okay with an I, I would just stop here and get the whole thing made by him. You'll get a better deal on the setting if you do both, I'm sure.

https://www.victorcanera.com/diamonds/xuy3dr-1.677-i-si1-ideal-hearts-arrows-round

I do have a laziness factor (actually more lack of time factor) to evaluate stones and setting. I think I will go with him (I contacted SK and talked to a very nice lady that said she would email me, but I have not received any emails).

I may end up going with him for the whole thing if I can save, get a nice stone (I'm sure he must be at least some what picky with the stones that go into his rings) and save on tax since I'm out of state.

kb1gra

Brilliant_Rock
maxandsam|1444774233|3937979 said:
kb1gra|1444773331|3937968 said:
Well if you want Victor to do the setting and you're okay with an I, I would just stop here and get the whole thing made by him. You'll get a better deal on the setting if you do both, I'm sure.

https://www.victorcanera.com/diamonds/xuy3dr-1.677-i-si1-ideal-hearts-arrows-round

I do have a laziness factor (actually more lack of time factor) to evaluate stones and setting. I think I will go with him (I contacted SK and talked to a very nice lady that said she would email me, but I have not received any emails).

I may end up going with him for the whole thing if I can save, get a nice stone (I'm sure he must be at least some what picky with the stones that go into his rings) and save on tax since I'm out of state.

His H&A stones are of comparable quality to the whiteflash ACA stones and I'm sure he could comment on this one in particular, however it seems to check all your boxes.

I am big on the laziness factor. I prefer to buy already-done rings whenever possible, so I'm all about the same vendor for everything.

maxandsam

Rough_Rock
i've been reading so much PS forums that I had dreams last night about diamonds, color, cuts, grades etc. :angel:

maxandsam

Rough_Rock
So I called Victor's business and so far (sadly) I am not impressed. Someone named Tim answered the phone and didn't even say the company name or anything and could answer ZERO of my questions and just said basically "I don't know to everything." He says Victor will call me back.

I hope this is not indicative of their CSR and response!

kb1gra

Brilliant_Rock
maxandsam|1444857279|3938302 said:
So I called Victor's business and so far (sadly) I am not impressed. Someone named Tim answered the phone and didn't even say the company name or anything and could answer ZERO of my questions and just said basically "I don't know to everything." He says Victor will call me back.

I hope this is not indicative of their CSR and response!

Interesting. I've found them to be pretty responsive especially via email, which I appreciate as they're on the opposite coast and I can't always call at a reasonable hour.

kb1gra

Brilliant_Rock
maxandsam|1444873678|3938385 said:
Victor called me back and I spoke to him about 20 mins. He was much more helpful than Tim, whomever he is.

I am leaning towards just getting this https://www.victorcanera.com/diamonds/xuy3dr-1.677-i-si1-ideal-hearts-arrows-round]\

with this https://www.victorcanera.com/rings/engagement/the-emilya-round-center-in-cushion-halo

Should I just do it?? Comments?

If that's what Victor is recommending, he has an excellent eye for both diamonds and the ring itself, so I'd take his recommendation.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a gorgeous stone! And that setting has always been one of my favorites. It would be quite a ring!

So I vote - go for it!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Should I just do it?? Comments?

Yes.

Victor Canera has perfected that style of halo and has executed it flawlessly dozens of times.

Just do it.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was torn with whether to go with Victor for a couple of years. I finally committed when I visited him personally and saw 8-10 pieces IRL. I'm a skeptic at heart, but seeing was believing. (And kudos to all those that were able to commit without seeing the work in person.) I can just stare at my ring, loupe and examine it for hours. I know. It's sick. But his work is just so beautiful and fine...

If you can take the leap of faith, I know you won't be disappointed.

I just can't wait to see your initial reactions to the finished product, and the response from your fiance. ;-)

Good luck!!

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Another vote here to let VC do the job. I have worked with Victor 4 times and he does not disappoint. Top notch craftmanship, a great eye for detail and proportions and great customer service & comunication (which was important to me as a long distance customer).
Victor will create a stunning ring.

maxandsam

Rough_Rock
Tourmaline|1444915004|3938501 said:

If your girlfriend liked a round halo, I don't think switching to a cushion halo is a good idea.

Her pinterest shows a cushion halo so I think that I am good either way :)

I think the cushion halo is more unique.

JDDN

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It should be beyond stunning, do it!

cinnamonstick

Brilliant_Rock
maxandsam|1444758298|3937858 said:
Thank you for the responses.

I will admit, part of my sizing is based on my ego. I really want to have something bigger than 1.50 carats. My desire is a good even quality/value ratio. I want a ring that sparkles and looks sizable (which it will more so with a halo).

:)! A good one to marry.... some men just don't get jewelry and complain with the smallest of purchases. GL!

cinnamonstick

Brilliant_Rock
Oh, BTW, big difference between a round halo and a cushion halo IMO. At one point I was considering a halo for my round diamond. Much preferred the cushion shape halo designs. That's just me tho. Something to clarify with your GF.

I discovered there was no way on Earth I would be able to purchase a halo setting that was already made (stock). I also like a tight halo look. Realized, if I wanted a halo, it would have to be made specifically for my center stone for that snug, custom look I bet ur GF desires. It will be worth your money. GL

maxandsam

Rough_Rock
tomorrow i will buy this ring :)

i'll report back what it looks like.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
:appl:

Looking forward to your thoughts! You've done your homework - and I think you and your SO will both be delightedly stunned by the quality of workmanship ::)

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Exciting stuff - can't wait to see it! Congrats on a wonderful choice!

maxandsam

Rough_Rock
Diamond ordered, work ordered signed and he says that he will have it done for me before first weekend in Dec when I go to NYC for a vacation. Maybe I should propose there?? Any ideas?

BTW for those curious, I did not hear back from Steven Kirsch for 1+ week after I called them. I had assumed that they had forgotten about me (I told him that in email also and that they should not wait so long for a response). Anyhow, if that was an indication of their communication delay, then it cemented my decision to go with VC.

maxandsam

Rough_Rock
OK here is my ring 8 weeks! it's on my hand. i just took it out of the box to take a picture.

now to get it insured. and now to figure out how to propose. i'm going to NYC this weekend. any advice or ideas?

img_3851.jpg

cinnamonstick

Brilliant_Rock
Well done!!!
Very, very nice halo :). Looks huge! Insurance is a must as soon as you can.

Proposal? Gosh, need to think. NYC could be very cool. Hopefully somebody can give you some tips on places and/or romantic restaurants for after (I'm always thinking about food). Tell the restaurant you just got engaged hours ago.... maybe they will throw in two glasses of champagne!

There are so many different ways to propose it's more a matter of what you think your girlfriend would enjoy. Try Googling? Do you want romantic? More "fun"? Private? Public?

Any way way you ask her, she is going to be very excited and love the ring!
Congrats!

maxandsam

Rough_Rock
Yes the halo makes it look huge! The tightness makes it look more continuous. It's gonna blow her mind.

I am in NYC Thurs-Sun. Thurs, I actually have reservations at Le Berardin. But I was thinking of waiting till we go to Central Park ? I dunno! I'd like it to be more private than public.

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone about everything including ring. I wouldn't have made this decision or be this knowledgeable about my purchase!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results