shape
carat
color
clarity

Whiteflash U113 bad experience

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This works for you because you have a history with Whiteflash and you know they will always solve any issues you might have. As a new member here and someone who has never dealt with Whiteflash, spending a lot of money on a new ring/setting it’s not reasonable for them to come on here first and voice their legitamite frustration and dissapointment before talking to Whiteflash first ?

I find it totally unfair for a long time PS’er to attack and defend their beloved vendor, when a new poster/buyer has a legitimate complain when they may not know the level and professionalism of the customer service.

I see this kind of behaviour all the time on PS .....one long time PS’er will attack a new member/poster for writing a bad review then the rest of the pack of wolves will come in for the kill.

If new members are scared to post bad/negative reviews then I don’t think the vendors are benefiting from this forum in the sense of customer service perspective.

This is my opinion and my observation and is not meant to offend anyone....

When I say that the mark of a good vendor is how they resolve problems I mean that. So does @diamondseeker2006. For us - a “bad” experience doesn’t mean “vendor made a mistake”, it means “vendor made a mistake and refused to take responsibility for it”. I assumed everyone on PS felt this way - bad assumption on my part, obviously. I’m genuinely disappointed and perturbed to learn this. Ultimately vendors are people too, and noone gets it right every time.

Last edited:
I don’t know, I’m glad the poster came here and raised this thought because tbh I would never have assumed I need to clarify that I want tab prongs when the images of the setting have tab prongs on them. Now I will always remember that I need to clarify things that I thought were kinda obvious

I don’t think the post was unreasonable in any way - yes, WF usually has fantastic reviews because they usually provide fantastic service; but if they themselves have admitted they dropped the ball here a bit, isn’t it a good thing that this post was made as a PSA to other potential customers that hey, this might be an issue, make sure you raise this point because it’s not an obvious assumption to make.

I think it’s reasonable for the OP to be upset about the delay etc, especially if it’s to mark a specific date or occasion. I think WF’s response on this thread was great too - they own up that they dropped the ball, they do the best they can to fix it for the OP and ensure it doesn’t happen for other customers going forward.

As an unrelated person I walk away with a favourable view of both the OP and the company, so to me it’s a balanced thread. I don’t think it’s reasonable to expect people to only post their positive experiences and not negative ones, if the negative ones are fairly represented.

CareBear

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
No offense to anyone, but I'm thinking the difference in opinion might be a generational thing rather than long time PSer vs new PSer or long time customer vs new customer :think:

MrsBlue

Brilliant_Rock
We can be supportive of @scarlettzzhang and WF at the same time.

Scarlett saw pics of the U113 and assumed it would come with tab prongs because the vendor pics featured those. That's reasonable for a new customer. She is now disappointed, which is also reasonable. Personally, I support her right to complain, especially since she's a new buyer.

WF is a great vendor. They will fix it. They should also consider making it standard practice for reps to confirm prong preference (if they haven't done so already).

@scarlettzzhang I read other posts discussing this setting and the prongs and I hope you don't mind me saying that I think you misunderstood. To my understanding, people were saying that when finished with tab prongs, the u113 has the best tab prongs and is a great option for people who love the Tiffany look. But any ring with prongs can be finished with tab or claw and you don't have to pay an extra 500 for that option. You just need to ask.

Also, just because we talk about it or you see pictures here doesn't mean that the finished jewelry will look like that all the time. Many PSers use their judgment and experience to tweak designs and ask for modifications. Again, a new buyer wouldn't necessarily know this so it's always best to ask.

Whether you choose to keep or change your prongs, I hope you are happy with the finished project and come back and share pictures. If WF makes all of the changes, expedites the process for you, and sends you the ring of your dreams, I hope you keep us posted about that as well.

Best wishes for a speedy resolution and a gorgeous ring <3

jp201845

Brilliant_Rock
When I say that the mark of a good vendor is how they resolve problems I mean that. So does @diamondseeker2006. For us - a “bad” experience doesn’t mean “vendor made a mistake”, it means “vendor made a mistake and refused to take responsibility for it”. I assumed everyone on PS felt this way - bad assumption on my part, obviously. I’m genuinely disappointed and perturbed to learn this. Ultimately vendors are people too, and noone gets it right every time.

I couldn’t agree more with that sentiment, but also how can a vendor be a good vendor when new members are scared to post bad/negative reviews to deal with adversity. I’m sorry, you are still missing the point here where most people on this thread see it so blatantly.

scarlettzzhang

Rough_Rock
@Texas Leaguer thanks for replying and acknowledging the issue. “We recently had a change of default style”—makes so much sense! I went through a lot of the recent purchases pictures yesterday and saw that recently there were a lot of claw prongs vs. last year there were almost all tab prongs. I really appreciate the explanation because when Vera told me “this is our default style, we have few tab prongs”, I was thinking that’s not right just by looking at your past purchase pictures. But now it all makes sense. By knowing what actually happened makes me feel much better.

I understand that some longterm members are very protective of their favorite vendor. But then again, that’s why I posted it here instead yelp, knowing that everyone loves WF here. It’s supposed to be constructive opinion instead of hurting the company’s business. By no means do I think that WF is a bad company. I just think this prong process can be improved. I would certainly still purchase from here and recommend it to my friend if the ring/diamond is beautiful IRL(as I’m sure it is since it’s so loved by everyone). I’m sorry if my post damaged the image of WF. I don’t think(hope not) my post would deter potential buyers from purchasing from WF. After all, there are so many more great reviews on PS, and I’m not saying their quality or service is bad. I can certainly add additional notes to state that “the issue is resolved/WF has great attitude and customer support” in the original post once it’s all over.

I think part of the reason I was so upset/disappointed yesterday was because I had such high expectations from WF, like I just expected everything to be perfect since it’s WF (the perfect company, all the professional diamond lovers favorite). We started ring shopping in Jan. We bought a ring from Brilliant Earth at first and after a month of wait with several delays, we really didn’t like the diamond (no sparkle/fire) so we had to return it. That’s when I found PS and started learning about all the cut specs, super ideal etc. That one was a (32.5 crown angle + 62% table) and was considered a most ideal cut in their stock. BE also made it really hard for us to return it. Going from all that BE hassle to WF, with overwhelming reviews on how great WF is, I thought/hoped this time things would just work out perfect, with no more back and forth. It’s probably not fair on WF since that BE hassle has nothing to do with them. But we just feel like “oh man we have to send it back again?!” and we are short on time till our paper signing date. Now that I think about it, I probably wouldn’t have been as frustrated about the back and forth if this is our first ring purchase.

Thanks everyone for the compassion and support. I didn’t expect this post to create such a big deal, but I guess I’m glad it did because now this problem can probably be avoided for a lot more future buyers. WF’s attitude has been great on approaching this issue. I hope the takeaway from my post is that as a buyer you should always specify what you want even for obvious things, and as a vendor it’s always good to ask. I’m picking up my ring this afternoon! Will post pictures once I have it.

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Just to be clear, we value all feedback, both negative and positive. One of the things we love about this community is that the mods keep it real. It is actually a boon to vendors when posters tell it like it is and are not afraid to speak their minds. And it certainly helps other users feel they are getting unvarnished, objective advice.

Positive reviews and commentary are validating and motivating to a business, that is clear. But negative comments are arguably more valuable in the longrun as they can better help a business improve.

While we can fix the jewelry problem easy enough, the customer experience is not so easily rectified. Furthermore, while we want to correct the root cause so this never happens again, this too is a challenge. We are already thinking in terms of system improvements that will help, but it turns out there are quite a few variables that will take some time to iron out. Covid has not helped as we have had to be fluid and adapt to not only our own challenges, but also to those of our designers in order to make delivery timelines.

One improvement we are now considering is to add a field to our jewelry details page that will have a list of those prong styles available for any specific design. (not all designs will have options). We will also certainly remind our diamond and jewelry consultants to initiate a discussion about prong preferences whenever applicable. But a growing number of our sales are unassisted.

Photography is kind of a sticky wicket as well, for a different set of reasons. And this will take some time to improve, although one might assume it would be easier than it is in reality.

Meanwhile, it would be a good idea to remind newbies, as the OP is actually trying to do here, that it is best to have detailed discussions with your vendor about about all options that might be relevant to a project.

Last edited:

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
@Texas Leaguer thanks for replying and acknowledging the issue. “We recently had a change of default style”—makes so much sense! I went through a lot of the recent purchases pictures yesterday and saw that recently there were a lot of claw prongs vs. last year there were almost all tab prongs. I really appreciate the explanation because when Vera told me “this is our default style, we have few tab prongs”, I was thinking that’s not right just by looking at your past purchase pictures. But now it all makes sense. By knowing what actually happened makes me feel much better.

I understand that some longterm members are very protective of their favorite vendor. But then again, that’s why I posted it here instead yelp, knowing that everyone loves WF here. It’s supposed to be constructive opinion instead of hurting the company’s business. By no means do I think that WF is a bad company. I just think this prong process can be improved. I would certainly still purchase from here and recommend it to my friend if the ring/diamond is beautiful IRL(as I’m sure it is since it’s so loved by everyone). I’m sorry if my post damaged the image of WF. I don’t think(hope not) my post would deter potential buyers from purchasing from WF. After all, there are so many more great reviews on PS, and I’m not saying their quality or service is bad. I can certainly add additional notes to state that “the issue is resolved/WF has great attitude and customer support” in the original post once it’s all over.

I think part of the reason I was so upset/disappointed yesterday was because I had such high expectations from WF, like I just expected everything to be perfect since it’s WF (the perfect company, all the professional diamond lovers favorite). We started ring shopping in Jan. We bought a ring from Brilliant Earth at first and after a month of wait with several delays, we really didn’t like the diamond (no sparkle/fire) so we had to return it. That’s when I found PS and started learning about all the cut specs, super ideal etc. That one was a (32.5 crown angle + 62% table) and was considered a most ideal cut in their stock. BE also made it really hard for us to return it. Going from all that BE hassle to WF, with overwhelming reviews on how great WF is, I thought/hoped this time things would just work out perfect, with no more back and forth. It’s probably not fair on WF since that BE hassle has nothing to do with them. But we just feel like “oh man we have to send it back again?!” and we are short on time till our paper signing date. Now that I think about it, I probably wouldn’t have been as frustrated about the back and forth if this is our first ring purchase.

Thanks everyone for the compassion and support. I didn’t expect this post to create such a big deal, but I guess I’m glad it did because now this problem can probably be avoided for a lot more future buyers. WF’s attitude has been great on approaching this issue. I hope the takeaway from my post is that as a buyer you should always specify what you want even for obvious things, and as a vendor it’s always good to ask. I’m picking up my ring this afternoon! Will post pictures once I have it.

@scarlettzzhang ,
We posted at nearly the same time. Thank you for your comments. We appreciate your honest feedback, though we are very sorry your experience with us has not been brilliant.

We will do our best to make it right for you.

Ella

Brilliant_Rock
Staff member
Premium
Folks, please do not degrade this helpful thread with sniping at each other. If you don't like someone, ignore them. Rudeness towards each other will not be tolerated. You do not get to judge what someone else's experience was.

lavalle218

Rough_Rock
@scarlettzzhang ,
We posted at nearly the same time. Thank you for your comments. We appreciate your honest feedback, though we are very sorry your experience with us has not been brilliant.

We will do our best to make it right for you.

I apologize but reading through, I am not clear, what is the new default style for this setting (thinking claw but want to make sure I didn’t misunderstand)? My ring is in production now so wondering if I need to have a chat with Liza or not! Thanks so much

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I apologize but reading through, I am not clear, what is the new default style for this setting (thinking claw but want to make sure I didn’t misunderstand)? My ring is in production now so wondering if I need to have a chat with Liza or not! Thanks so much

Yes, to be on the safe side please contact Liza to verify your prong preference.

scarlettzzhang

Rough_Rock
I picked up my ring!!
First I have to say, we are AMAZED by how shiny this diamond is! It sparkles like crazy in the sun. The ring looks very sexy. And it fits perfectly with my 7 stone band from I.D. Jewelry! I’m so in love.
But I do feel like the prong is a bit too sharp/prominent for me. I don’t really like this look. Will probably ship it back to get it redone. 6AD3463D-F826-470A-87C0-A2431015A265.jpeg
Here are some pictures:

Attachments

• 22E6E114-6E8F-4B97-8016-0B0AE411C10B.jpeg
    22E6E114-6E8F-4B97-8016-0B0AE411C10B.jpeg
    123.1 KB · Views: 68
  • 2A2A8D2E-E972-48C7-86D1-9AEAEEDA5A6D.jpeg
    2A2A8D2E-E972-48C7-86D1-9AEAEEDA5A6D.jpeg
    86.5 KB · Views: 69

KristinTech

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@lavelle218, I’d call and chat with Liza just since she’s so helpful and excited for the purchases on the buyer’s behalf. Heck, I have a job in production and I feel like calling her back just to have my same convo all over again. :) Be sure to post in SMTB when your ring arrives! I hope we see OP’s ring later today or tomorrow, too!

EDIT: looks like OP just posted!

KristinTech

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@scarlettzzhang gorgeous diamond! And the stack is perfect, you’re right! Keep staring at the ring and enjoy it in all the lighting environments. I’d also just enjoy it with your own eyes and forgo the magnified photography for a bit. The diamond is a great size on your finger!

What finger size are you, btw?

123ducklings

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for your post @scarlettzzhang I would have had the same understanding that I was buying tab prongs because from what I can see the model pictures on the WF website and the Vatche website show tab prongs on that model and don’t give any details or option to choose prong type.

I haven’t had a chance to read the whole thread yet, but I hope you’re able to get this worked out to your satisfaction; WF is a great vendor and I’m sure your ring will be a knockout.

lavalle218

Rough_Rock
@lavelle218, I’d call and chat with Liza just since she’s so helpful and excited for the purchases on the buyer’s behalf. Heck, I have a job in production and I feel like calling her back just to have my same convo all over again. :) Be sure to post in SMTB when your ring arrives! I hope we see OP’s ring later today or tomorrow, too!

EDIT: looks like OP just posted!

Just sent her an email!!! She and the whole team are phenomenal and I’m so happy to be a loyal customer and refer friends! Best diamonds and the best customer service!

Op - your ring is gorgeous! Sorry you had this hiccup but it’ll be worth the wait if you do decide to send back to get the prongs updated. Thanks for posting about this - you helped a lot of us going through the process and hopefully Whiteflash can build some new features into their site to guide users through the selection process.

scarlettzzhang

Rough_Rock
@scarlettzzhang gorgeous diamond! And the stack is perfect, you’re right! Keep staring at the ring and enjoy it in all the lighting environments. I’d also just enjoy it with your own eyes and forgo the magnified photography for a bit. The diamond is a great size on your finger!

What finger size are you, btw?

4.5! I’m debating if I should size down my Ering to 4.25 cuz it kinda slides off a bit if I wave my hand with some strength. But I’m trying with both wedding band and Ering together now, it feels tighter than wearing Ering alone. My wedding band 4.5 fits perfectly (probably because it’s wider and lighter). I don’t know how much fatter my finger will get as I get older/have kids etc maybe I should keep it like this haha

Last edited:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Keep it like it is especially if the weather is not hot where you live. As you just said, it fits tighter when wearing with a wedding band, and it will be a little tighter in hot weather. My daughter used a ring snuggie while she was engaged and then didn't need it after she started wearing her two wedding bands. You can cut off a smaller piece than they are showing, but it's an easy way to avoid repeatedly resizing a ring.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
4.5! I’m debating if I should size down my Ering to 4.25 cuz it kinda slides off a bit if I wave my hand with some strength.
Your ring will feel a bit tighter as the weather warms up come summer time.

marrduk24

Shiny_Rock
I am glad the issue is getting resolved.

All the veterans here at PS, I have learnt a ton , really a ton, from you. Please keep you feedback and engagement on. We appreciate that beyond measure. There is occasionally a rough ride, part of every family and relationship, but doesn’t change the fact that this is an amazing community.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I picked up my ring!!
First I have to say, we are AMAZED by how shiny this diamond is! It sparkles like crazy in the sun. The ring looks very sexy. And it fits perfectly with my 7 stone band from I.D. Jewelry! I’m so in love.
But I do feel like the prong is a bit too sharp/prominent for me. I don’t really like this look. Will probably ship it back to get it redone. 6AD3463D-F826-470A-87C0-A2431015A265.jpeg
Here are some pictures:

That looks REALLY nice on you. This setting is so classic - lets the diamond shine!

If your knuckle is the biggest part of your finger, and you feel that it’s too loose, you could probably go down a touch and have it feel more secure. Even a quarter size can make a difference when you’ve got a smaller ring size. If you want to play it safe just have WF add a couple of sizing beads whilst they’ve got it. If the part of your finger that the rings actually rest on are the biggest parts though, I agree it’d definitely be best to leave as-is until summer and see how you feel.

I wear a 4/4.25 in temperate weather but I size to 4.5 or 4.75 for summer comfort.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This works for you because you have a history with Whiteflash and you know they will always solve any issues you might have. As a new member here and someone who has never dealt with Whiteflash, spending a lot of money on a new ring/setting it’s not reasonable for them to come on here first and voice their legitamite frustration and dissapointment before talking to Whiteflash first ?

I find it totally unfair for a long time PS’er to attack and defend their beloved vendor, when a new poster/buyer has a legitimate complain when they may not know the level and professionalism of the customer service.

I see this kind of behaviour all the time on PS .....one long time PS’er will attack a new member/poster for writing a bad review then the rest of the pack of wolves will come in for the kill.

If new members are scared to post bad/negative reviews then I don’t think the vendors are benefiting from this forum in the sense of customer service perspective.

This is my opinion and my observation and is not meant to offend anyone....

I have found that it usually works out best in life to try to resolve issues in private before informing the world of my problems with anyone. If I try to resolve an issue in a reasonable and respectful way privately and still do not have any resolution, then certainly I might choose to post a review on a forum or review site. I don't really like burning bridges. I try to maintain good relationships with any vendor or business I might want to work with again. None are perfect and I definitely give any vendor a chance to work through a mistake. I'll try a new restaurant more than once. I try to be patient if there are delays because I know the final product will be worth it! I rarely ever post anything about such experiences when the customer service is good and rectifies the problem if the error is on their end. It's kind of like using diplomacy before bombing the opponent. I did not feel that I was attacking anyone in this instance, I was trying to educate regarding a better way of doing things. But you certainly have a right to your opinion and I am not offended.

Anyway, I am truly glad the OP has the ring, loves the diamond, and is willing to send it back to be fixed to her satisfaction as WF is known to do when there is a miscommunication.

Last edited:

jp201845

Brilliant_Rock
I have found that it usually works out best in life to try to resolve issues in private before informing the world of my problems with anyone. If I try to resolve an issue in a reasonable and respectful way privately and still do not have any resolution, then certainly I might choose to post a review on a forum or review site. I don't really like burning bridges. I try to maintain good relationships with any vendor or business I might want to work with again. None are perfect and I definitely give any vendor a chance to work through a mistake. I'll try a new restaurant more than once. I try to be patient if there are delays because I know the final product will be worth it! I rarely ever post anything about such experiences when the customer service is good and rectifies the problem if the error is on their end. It's kind of like using diplomacy before bombing the opponent. I did not feel that I was attacking anyone in this instance, I was trying to educate regarding a better way of doing things. But you certainly have a right to your opinion and I am not offended.

Anyway, I am truly glad the OP has the ring, loves the diamond, and is willing to send it back to be fixed to her satisfaction as WF is known to do when there is a miscommunication.

You have your opinion and I have mine, let's leave it at that.

I want to thank Whiteflash for their excellence in customer service, and finally to the OP I'm sorry this process wasn't exactly smooth for you. I'm happy for you that you love your ring and you have the option to send it back to get the prong work done to your satisfaction.

Enjoy your new ring in a lighting conditions you deserve it !!

marrduk24

Shiny_Rock
I have no right to preach here. Let’s look at contribution of some of the members hsre

@yssie 22k posts here

@diamondseeker2006 57k posts

only reason I am mentioning this is to make a point that PS is a rare forum where you have members that are far more interested in giving back to the community through their wisdom, experience and advice than pretty much any online forum I am aware of.
Let’s relish that.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I picked up my ring!!
Here are some pictures:

I am very happy for you @scarlettzzhang. That ring is beautiful and as you say "sexy". It's been a while since I've heard anyone describe a ring that way, but it's accurate, and it looks lovely on your beautiful hand.

Since you are now a WF veteran, as I think this experience qualifies you, my concern in your initial post was not what you said, because you made some good points. It's how you said it. Tone...isn't that what everyone talks about these days. Like I said before, I can empathize because it's your first serious diamond ring and naturally you're anxious. You want everything to be perfect. Also normal. I hope that this experience with WF has shown you that perfection can be achieved (and will be) but because we all are dealing with human beings, even behind the insignia of a company, it may take a few tries to get there. So as long as all of us extend a little grace to each other and everyone is doing their very best with the best intentions, it will turn out fine. I look forward to seeing your tab prong ring. I am sure it will be just as beautiful as this one.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have no right to preach here. Let’s look at contribution of some of the members hsre

@yssie 22k posts here

@diamondseeker2006 57k posts

only reason I am mentioning this is to make a point that PS is a rare forum where you have members that are far more interested in giving back to the community through their wisdom, experience and advice than pretty much any online forum I am aware of.
Let’s relish that.

I'm a numbers girl. I get this.

bps413

Shiny_Rock
Just want to say that your ring is beautiful! Many here would love the craftsmanship and prong work of those claws. That being said, I am confident WF will create YOUR perfect ring with beautiful tab prongs and get it back in your hands as quickly as possible!

Either way that rock is a showstopper and that’s what everyone else will be focused on! Enjoy it in good health.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results