shape
carat
color
clarity

Whiteflash U113 bad experience

scarlettzzhang

Rough_Rock
I just received pictures of my U113 from Whiteflash, and my prong is claw instead of Vache’s specialty tab prong! I chatted with Whiteflash’s CS rep, and she told me apparently I need to specifically request the ring to be done with tab prong, otherwise it’s random?? I’m honestly very upset right now! All the pictures of U113 whiteflash sent me prior to my purchase have tab prongs, I didn’t even know there was a claw prong option! They didn’t ask me if I prefer one way or the other either. I chose U113 over a customized whiteflash knife edge and paid 500 more because 1. I want the tab prong!! 2. I don’t want the back and forth with them if they don’t get the customization right the first time.
Now it seems like I either have to live with a claw prong, or I have to go through back and forth with them and wait another month for my ring...
I did tons of research on PriceScope before getting the U113 at whiteflash since people have been raving about how great their service is. No one seems to have mentioned that you need to specifically mention a prong type before buying a U113. Seems like most people got tab prong by default. Figured my post would let potential buyer know that you do need to tell them! Without them asking you! I scrolled through lots of U113 pictures on their website’s recent purchase section, and it seems like recently they did a lot of claw prong on U113!
I feel like this is a bad service on Whiteflash’s end. You should give me exactly what you are advertising on your website (a tab prong), or you should at least ask me what I prefer instead of giving me what’s convenient for you. My assumption is that whiteflash set the diamond for me with their knife edge claw prong instead of sending the diamond for Vache’s team to set. A CS will tell me exactly what happened later. But I paid 1800 for this setting, shouldn’t I be getting the full service of Vache’s team setting the diamond? If I knew it was gonna be their claw prong or having this back forth, I would have just done the customized knife edge instead and save 500. 6B10CA93-CAA6-4CFD-8FDC-385434B9550D.jpeg

Last edited:

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do you have more pics? It's hard to see the prongs from that angle

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am really sorry, but honestly with any ring you need to specify prong preference. If you don't, the assumption is that you don't have a preference.

I am not sure what Whiteflash does in regard to setting their stones in a Vatche setting because my stone and Vatche setting were from another vendor. But my stone was sent to Vatche to be set and Vatche did the prongs. I specified I wanted tab prongs.

scarlettzzhang

Rough_Rock
Only have one other picture they sent me, I’m still waiting for the ring to arrive so I can see it in real life. FBAF0155-752B-47A4-B502-658AFBD0C8F8.jpeg

I read it here on PriceScope that the default is tab prong that’s why I didn’t say anything. Also they sent me a lot of U113 pictures, and in all of them they were tab prong. How am I supposed to know that I need to specify the prong type before purchase

I guess anyone who’s seeing my post now is aware of this! Always specify!!

But yea the CS rep said that whiteflash does both: they either set the stone themselves or they sent it to Vache.

scarlettzzhang

Rough_Rock
Just got the reply from them. This CS rep said “ we set every diamond here for all the designers, unless it’s a bezel style diamond” that’s something new to learn. I thought people on this forum got U113 from them before and Vache set them? Everyone was saying how good Vache does tab prong!
At this point I don’t even know if should send back the diamond for them to do tab prong, sounds like Vache won’t be setting them anyways...

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, if you’ve seen pictures of WF Vatche rings with tab prongs, WF must be able to do them since you were told they set their diamonds in house. So I’d send it back. They may have to send your setting back to have a new head put on if they can’t adapt these prongs. It is the first time that I have ever heard of this problem, though, so it is an unfortunate situation.

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I looked over the photos on this model ring on the Whiteflash website. Most of the photos of this ring do show tab tip prongs, just as you said. I would have assumed tab prongs were the default for this ring. That being said, I do see at least one, possibly two, of the photos show claw prong tips. It is a slightly mixed bag. A consumer may not know to specify what they assume is the default mode when they don't truly understand all the possible choices. The vendor can't do something as easy as requesting the setter make claw tips if they have not been asked to do it. It is sort of a stand off. No one is wrong or right, but it is not a a happy occurrence.

My own taste leans toward claw tip prongs. I find them, when well done, highly attractive to the eye. I suggest you look it over and decide if you might get used to the "look". Some of the very finest jewelry made uses claw tips. It takes a little extra time to make the shape, but visually, it is a nice finishing touch. But, it is you that needs to be pleased, not me.

The tab prongs can be done, but likely not without the head setting replaced. Neither side is the sole negligent party, but both sides share the problem. I feel sure that with some patience that the two of you can work it out. When you have particular preferences, sharing all your needs with the crafts person doing your work is essential. I do agree that your expectation, based on the majority of the advertising material showing tab prongs, so you are not the one and only one at fault in this.

Let us know how it goes. Good vendors usually take the opportunity to make customers happy when problems arise. Being fair, on both sides, sometimes is important, too.

scarlettzzhang

Rough_Rock
It’s possible that I can live with the claw prong, but I need to see it first IRL. I’m just surprised no one talked about this or had this problem in all the U113 posts I found on this forum before. I remember lots of people saying “get the Vache u113 cuz that tab setting is Vache’s specialty and looks exactly like Tiffany’s”.
I hope this post can inform buyers who are interested in U113 that 1. if you do it with whiteflash, you need to specify the prong type! Don’t make the same mistake as me! 2. Whiteflash U113 means your diamond will not get set by Vache.
Nonetheless, I hope their ACA performance will outweigh this prong issue, and I will ultimately be happy with the ring.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
But I paid 1800 for this setting, shouldn’t I be getting the full service of Vache’s team setting the diamond?
Of course not. You’re paying for your stone to be mounted into a designer setting by a designer-approved outfit.

If Vatche had to set every single piece purchased through every single one of their retailers they’d be backed up for years.

This is the way distribution and resale of made-to-order works in every industry I can think of...

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m sorry to read you’re unhappy with the outcome of your Vatche prongs. I’m sure a reasonable resolution will be found as WF - from my own experience and reading that of others - goes above & beyond when it comes to customer service before and after the sale. The U113 is a stunning, simple, sexy soli! :love:

I am confused by your post though:
I chose U113 over a customized whiteflash knife edge and paid 500 more because 1. I want the tab prong!! 2. I don’t want the back and forth with them if they don’t get the customization right the first time.

If the #1 reason you wanted the U113 over WF’s knife edge was their tab prongs, it would seem that you know there are different prong styles and/or customization available, and that preference would/should have been stated to WF at some point along the transaction.

Nevertheless, I would caution anyone assuming something is a “default/standard” feature of a design seen on a website (e.g., what is seen on PS) if it is not the designer’s site or designer posting it. In other words, just because people post their U113 on here with tabs doesn’t mean it’s Vatche’s standard ... we as consumers don’t speak for the designer, and ‘standard’ designs do change over time.

Best of luck on reaching a solution that brings you sparkly happiness!

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm sorry to hear about this issue. However, if the tab prongs were a huge deciding factor for you, then I would expect you to have approached this subject with WF? There are many prong styles, so specifying is important. Also, Vatche doesn't set every one of their settings (if they did, they would be impossibly busy). WF is a vatche vendor so it makes sense for WF themselves to set the stone.

scarlettzzhang

Rough_Rock
Of course not. You’re paying for your stone to be mounted into a designer setting by a designer-approved outfit.

If Vatche had to set every single piece purchased through every single one of their retailers they’d be backed up for years.

This is the way distribution and resale of made-to-order works in every industry I can think of...

Even if Vache doesn’t set it himself. I would assume his team would be doing it. As I read it here from another U113 post, her diamond was set by Vache’s team but delayed because “Vache doesn’t think the quality of the prong was ok to send off”. I can’t remember if she got it from whiteflash but at least her stone was set by Vache s team. That why I was under the impression that Vache’s team will set it. Otherwise why do people keep saying “u113 is the best cuz Vache does tab prong exactly like Tiffany!” People also say if you want Tiffany style w claw prong you go with cvb. If Vaches team is not setting the stone, u113 doesn’t really have much of an advantage compared to the customized whiteflash knife edge (soften version) IMO. So I think there are prob a lot of people who thinks Vache’s team will be setting the stones because of all the information online.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nonetheless, I hope their ACA performance will outweigh this prong issue, and I will ultimately be happy with the ring.
I personally like claw prongs. Hopefully you'll like it when you see it IRL. I purchased a Vatche setting from HPD and the stone was set by Vatche himself the second time around after the first one was set too low by one of his workers. The second setting was a new setting not a repair job.

Last edited:

scarlettzzhang

Rough_Rock
I’m sorry to read you’re unhappy with the outcome of your Vatche prongs. I’m sure a reasonable resolution will be found as WF - from my own experience and reading that of others - goes above & beyond when it comes to customer service before and after the sale. The U113 is a stunning, simple, sexy soli! :love:

If the #1 reason you wanted the U113 over WF’s knife edge was their tab prongs, it would seem that you know there are different prong styles and/or customization available, and that preference would/should have been stated to WF at some point along the transaction.

Nevertheless, I would caution anyone assuming something is a “default/standard” feature of a design seen on a website (e.g., what is seen on PS) if it is not the designer’s site or designer posting it. In other words, just because people post their U113 on here with tabs doesn’t mean it’s Vatche’s standard ... we as consumers don’t speak for the designer, and ‘standard’ designs do change over time.

I know there are different types of prongs, but I thought claw prong is the default for whiteflash knife edge, and tab is the default for U113. The sales representative sent me a picture of a customized WF knife edge that looks almost exactly like U113 but just with a claw prong. I chose U113 bc everyone says here that tab prong is what Vache does the best.

scarlettzzhang

Rough_Rock
I personally like claw prongs. Hopefully you'll like it when you see it IRL. I purchased a Vatche setting from HPD and the stone was set by Vatche himself the second time around after the first one was set too low by one of his workers. The second setting was a new setting not a repair job.
How do you even request that? Does the stone have the big enough to even request that Vache set it himself (or his team)?

Moonie

Shiny_Rock
I'm sorry this happened, I realize that it can be really disappointing to imagine what your ring might look like with certain expectations, and then get something different.

My take here is that even though Pricescope is an immensely helpful resource with many many consumer reviews and tips, it's not meant to be a stand-in for the brands/vendors/service themselves. Even if you read something on Pricescope, it's the customer writing a review about their specific experience, not WF or Vatche's proxy. It may be in the short or long time since the review was written that they do things differently, and perhaps don't default to tab prongs, or that the PS-er got lucky with the prongs. It's always good practice to verify and make sure they know what you want.

Nonetheless, I would also wait to see what you like before deciding! I love claw prongs and think they're extremely elegant, especially in a Tiffany-style setting.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Why do you care who sets your stone? If Vatche set it they would still use their best judgment re. Prong style unless a customer makes an explicit request.

Vatche-the-dude/Vatche-the-company/Vatche’s-authorized-distributors - whoever does the work, this has zero impact on “designer-ness” of your mount, quality of finish, or style of prong.
Seriously. Zero.

scarlettzzhang

Rough_Rock

Also my assumption is not just from pictures posted here on PriceScope. I asked WF sales rep what U113 looks like IRL before I bought the ring, here’s the pictures I got
9CBE6886-493F-4285-8BA4-1A3A410781E3.png E54F8B39-D215-4C0B-B782-C4213F48108D.jpeg
So ofc I would assume this is what I would get for my ring as well

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just talk with your WF rep.

I can completely understand how you assumed that you’d get tab prongs. I can also completely understand how WF assumed you’d want claw prongs, without explicit instructions. Assumptions on both sides. Completely understandable.

So talk to your rep and help WF figure out how to make you happy. WF has a well-earned reputation of making sure their customers walk away satisfied. You won’t be the exception to their legacy.

scarlettzzhang

Rough_Rock
Why do you care who sets your stone? If Vatche set it they would still use their best judgment re. Prong style unless a customer makes an explicit request.

Vatche-the-dude/Vatche-the-company/Vatche’s-authorized-distributors - whoever does the work, this has zero impact on “designer-ness” of your mount, quality of finish, or style of prong.
Seriously. Zero.
I would argue that. Everyone has what they are good at doing and not so good at doing. If Vaches team specializes in tab prong and WF specializes in claw prong (but they are not so good at doing the other way around, not saying this is a fact), ofc I world care who set my stone. Why else would people say “get your setting from CVB cuz they do claw settings really well, but get it from Vache if you want tab cuz he does tab the best” if WF can do tab prong exactly like how Vache does it then I wouldn’t care. But right now I don’t know what pictures I see is from WF doing it and what I see is from Vache himself

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just talk with your WF rep.

I can completely understand how you assumed that you’d get tab prongs. I can also completely understand how WF assumed you’d want claw prongs, without explicit instructions. Assumptions on both sides. Completely understandable.

So talk to your rep and help WF figure out how to make you happy. WF has a well-earned reputation of making sure their customers walk away satisfied. You won’t be the exception to their legacy.

100% this. It was a miscommunication that should be fixable.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
How do you even request that? Does the stone have the big enough to even request that Vache set it himself (or his team)?
I didn't request it. I guess after one of his benchman screwed up the first setting then Vatche decided to take the job himself after it was return for a new setting.

AuntKiki

Shiny_Rock
If the WF rep sent you pictures of the setting with tab prongs only, then you should receive tab prongs. There's no question of prong style if they show you tab prongs. At that point claw prongs would be a modification.

scarlettzzhang

Rough_Rock
If the WF rep sent you pictures of the setting with tab prongs only, then you should receive tab prongs. There's no question of prong style if they show you tab prongs. At that point claw prongs would be a modification.

That’s what I thought too! But it’s too late at this point. I just hope the claw prong is delicate enough that I can live with it as I don’t want to wait another month for my ring...

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I suppose there is always the possibility, albeit a small one, the photos they sent were someone else’s ring.
See what you think when you get it. If you still want the tab prongs Whiteflash will make sure you are completely happy. They’ll turn it around quickly too.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Being in the trade is killing me right now.,,,
In no way is this the clients fault.
I have every confidence wf will fix it but it was their error.

@scarlettzzhang sorry this happened to you.

You are right, Karl. It's not the client's fault and hopefully @scarlettzzhang knows that. However, I do think it's a miscommunication that is relatively easily fixed. I also think that expecting that Vatche will do the setting is not necessarily realistic since WF likely sets their own stones as a authorized vendor of Vatche settings.

Tayberry

Shiny_Rock
I'm so sorry this happened to you what an awful fail at the final step after you made such a huge decision. Keep us updated, I'm following your story!

KristinTech

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@scarlettzzhang If those were the pics that were sent, and no clarification was made on the CS end of WF, I’m certain they will redo this for you. It’s just that you will have to wait, and I know that is disappointing. It will be worth it in the end to get things clarified and have the ring you have dreamt about. Keep us posted.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Texas Leaguer ... :wavey:

I usually rush to circle the wagon's in defense of WF.
I love that company and their product!
Still do, but ...

Prong types do look very different and a preference for one is entirely understandable, especially for an engagement ring.
I'm surprised any vendor would think they are so interchangeable as to not ask the client's preference.

When taking an order how many seconds would it take for all vendors, including WF, to always ask which prong type is preferred?

Last edited:
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results