shape
carat
color
clarity

WhiteFlash Studs Upgrade from .65 each to .80 each!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
lizzyann|1352494306|3302047 said:
Hi DS, I know we have previously discussed your thoughts on martini versus basket settings and since your sized stones is where I would like to get to, I wanted to know if you feel that the basket droops at all in this size? Or sticks out? I ended up with martini's for my current set and while I love the fact that all I can see is diamond when I look at myself face on in the mirror, I kind of miss having the basket. The martini just nestles into my ear. When you look at yourself face on in a mirror, do you see the diamond full forward or do you get more of a side shot of the stud? Does that make sense? ha ha! It is hard to explain. Anywho, I am leaning towards trying the basket next go round.

Hi, lizzy, very interesting that you would ask that! I LOVE low set baskets because I think the flat base of the basket allows the stones to sit right on the ears and NOT droop (and that is what I requested). These settings are a little higher than I prefer, and I am discussing either doing a custom order of lower baskets or something else. I won't talk to Traci until Monday so I am not sure what the options are yet. I ordered platinum because I figured this will be my final upgrade (if there is such a thing!), so I really want the settings to be the kind I want. I'll give you an update if you happen to check back in.

woofmama

Ideal_Rock
Beautiful studs DS! They do look very substantial and perfect on your ear. Congrats!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
woofmama|1352514964|3302351 said:
Beautiful studs DS! They do look very substantial and perfect on your ear. Congrats!

Thanks so much, woofmama!!!

lizzyann

Ideal_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1352513180|3302327 said:
lizzyann|1352494306|3302047 said:
Hi DS, I know we have previously discussed your thoughts on martini versus basket settings and since your sized stones is where I would like to get to, I wanted to know if you feel that the basket droops at all in this size? Or sticks out? I ended up with martini's for my current set and while I love the fact that all I can see is diamond when I look at myself face on in the mirror, I kind of miss having the basket. The martini just nestles into my ear. When you look at yourself face on in a mirror, do you see the diamond full forward or do you get more of a side shot of the stud? Does that make sense? ha ha! It is hard to explain. Anywho, I am leaning towards trying the basket next go round.

Hi, lizzy, very interesting that you would ask that! I LOVE low set baskets because I think the flat base of the basket allows the stones to sit right on the ears and NOT droop (and that is what I requested). These settings are a little higher than I prefer, and I am discussing either doing a custom order of lower baskets or something else. I won't talk to Traci until Monday so I am not sure what the options are yet. I ordered platinum because I figured this will be my final upgrade (if there is such a thing!), so I really want the settings to be the kind I want. I'll give you an update if you happen to check back in.

Hi DS, please do give an update! Are these baskets different than your previous white gold baskets?

ClassyRocks

Brilliant_Rock
Your new studs are perfect! :love: Sometimes, a gal just needs a diamond fix! I am so glad you found these. :appl:

armywife13

Ideal_Rock
They are gorgeous! :appl:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks so much Classy and armywife!!! :wavey:

Lizzy, these are probably the same as my last baskets, but I knew those stones were temporary so I really didn't care. Plus they were smaller stones and I guess it didn't bother me as much. I am waiting to hear back from Traci what my setting options are. I either will get low baskets (if they can access them) or maybe do custom ones like mom2boys just had made but with 4 prongs since my stones are soooo much smaller!!! Hers make me want to upgrade, though!!!

m-2-b

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Go for the 4 prong martini's--I've been wearing mine all day w/ no droop!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
mom2boys|1352911515|3306365 said:

Yay!!! :appl: I emailed Traci for the quote and hope to hear back soon! Thanks!

m-2-b

Ideal_Rock
Premium
diamondseeker2006|1352928626|3306657 said:

Did you get an additional quote for the jumbo backs if you don't already have them? I think it makes a big difference!

jill_s

Brilliant_Rock
mom2boys|1352928903|3306661 said:

Did you get an additional quote for the jumbo backs if you don't already have them? I think it makes a big difference!

I second this. Jumbo backs are the best and the earring equivalent of a push up bra (someone on here said that and it's so true)! Fwiw, I recently lost one of my jumbo backs down the sink drain. :-o I purchased a replacement set on eBay. You could try looking there too. Just make sure you get the 10mm ones.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
mom2boys|1352928903|3306661 said:

Hmmm, that is a good question! The backs they sent with the basket settings were large and not the standard little backs, so I felt like they were large enough. But you are 100% correct that I need to ASK about that since I am going to be custom ordering or having them custom make new settings altogether. Thanks!!!

Jill...just saw your post...thank you, too!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
mom2boys|1352937433|3306758 said:
DS--check this out:

http://www.whiteflash.com/diamond-earrings/6-prong-martini-earrings-2312.htm

I'm thinking it will be less than this for the 4 prongs but the jumbo backs will be an added extra cost.

I was thinking it would be less for 4 prongs and small stones, too, but it was almost the the price of the 6 prong ones. So I think I am going to go with special order low Tiffany style baskets. I am just hoping they will be the quality I am expecting.

FancyDiamond

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Are you able to return your platinum basket setting? If not, it would be wasted money that could have been used to get bigger diamonds or something else. Before you venture to another new setting route, have you thought of trying plastic disc (e.g., LeDisc Plus $4.50 for a box of 6)? For my 1.44ctw studs (in 3-prong Martini gold setting), I do not find the need for extra support. For your platinum setting, I guess the extra weight of platinum makes a difference, and so you may need something. Wonder what you think about getting plastic discs?

I personally have not tried plastic disc (no need yet), but I hear most ladies use them (perhaps other brands of plastic disc) and find them helpful.

Personally, I think the 4-prong basket setting that you have currently looks good. It may better protect the girdle than the 3-prong.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
FancyDiamond|1353165074|3308714 said:
Are you able to return your platinum basket setting? If not, it would be wasted money that could have been used to get bigger diamonds or something else. Before you venture to another new setting route, have you thought of trying plastic disc (e.g., LeDisc Plus $4.50 for a box of 6)? For my 1.44ctw studs (in 3-prong Martini gold setting), I do not find the need for extra support. For your platinum setting, I guess the extra weight of platinum makes a difference, and so you may need something. Wonder what you think about getting plastic discs?

I personally have not tried plastic disc (no need yet), but I hear most ladies use them (perhaps other brands of plastic disc) and find them helpful.

Personally, I think the 4-prong basket setting that you have currently looks good. It may better protect the girdle than the 3-prong.

Yes, because the settings were not what I specified, they are kindly letting me exchange. I definitely wouldn't waste the money! But the platinum settings weren't really heavy considering the relatively small size of the stones. It was just that the baskets were too high. I like the low baskets like Tiffany uses. (I wasn't considering the 3 prong martini, I was going to have 4 prong custom martini settings made but opted for the low baskets because they were much less in cost.)

Here are the Tiffany ones (but I don't want the screw-on backs):

tiffanystuds.jpg

FancyDiamond

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thanks for your explanation.
While I like the 3-prong setting for my small diamonds (1.44ctw), I prefer 4 or 6 prongs to better protect the girdles of larger (therefore more expensive, more at stake) stones. I was going to settle for the standard 4-prong setting until I read your post. Then, Mom2boys 6-prong setting got me thinking (love the protection and probably apparent size enhancement), but the high cost (and probably extra platinum weight plus jumbo back) makes me hesitate. I'll wait for your findings and feedback about the Tiffany 4-prong setting before I decide on my own stud setting. Therefore, please keep me posted.

LittleRiver

Shiny_Rock
diamondseeker2006\ said:
mom2boys said:
DS--check this out:

I'm thinking it will be less than this for the 4 prongs but the jumbo backs will be an added extra cost.

I was thinking it would be less for 4 prongs and small stones, too, but it was almost the the price of the 6 prong ones. So I think I am going to go with special order low Tiffany style baskets. I am just hoping they will be the quality I am expecting.

Can't wait to see the Tiffany-style earrings! That is appealing to me because my e-ring has six prongs, and I like things to match :))

lizzyann

Ideal_Rock
DS, please do let us know what you end up with!

bunnycat

Ideal_Rock
Those look really lovely on you and are a great size for you! Can't wait to see how the new baskets turn out!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
FancyDiamond|1353279291|3309649 said:
Thanks for your explanation.
While I like the 3-prong setting for my small diamonds (1.44ctw), I prefer 4 or 6 prongs to better protect the girdles of larger (therefore more expensive, more at stake) stones. I was going to settle for the standard 4-prong setting until I read your post. Then, Mom2boys 6-prong setting got me thinking (love the protection and probably apparent size enhancement), but the high cost (and probably extra platinum weight plus jumbo back) makes me hesitate. I'll wait for your findings and feedback about the Tiffany 4-prong setting before I decide on my own stud setting. Therefore, please keep me posted.

I will definitely let you know! The 4 prong martinis were going to be over $300 more, and I just couldn't justify that much difference on smaller stones.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LittleRiver|1353329246|3310001 said:
diamondseeker2006\ said:
mom2boys said:
DS--check this out:

Can't wait to see the Tiffany-style earrings! That is appealing to me because my e-ring has six prongs, and I like things to match :))

LR, these are supposed to be like the Tiffany earrings I posted above....low 4 prong baskets. They don't make earring settings like their 6 prong ring, but WF can make 6 prong settings if you want to pay for custom.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks bastecat and lizzyann! I'll post as soon as they come back!

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
nice pair DS!!... :love: :appl:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dancing Fire|1353478662|3311769 said:
nice pair DS!!... :love: :appl:

Thank you, DF!!! I will be very glad to get them back from their little reset!

Monnyjay

Brilliant_Rock
Your studs are gorgeous Diamondseeker, they look like a perfect size (no upgrading here I would imagine!!!!) I have been so busy and just haven't had time to find a pair to a stone I have - it's 0.56ct. After seeing yours old and new, I might finally get my act together and try to get them sorted before Christmas.

Now, you have spare set, or 2 two spare diamonds, a new project? :naughty:

Enjoy wearing them, stunning, I could quiet easily let you be my jewellery shopper Diamondseeker, we have very similar taste. :bigsmile:

mamadelmar

Shiny_Rock
Absolutely beautiful! Thank you for posting this as I, too have been toying with the idea of upgrading my .45 studs to somewhere between .70 - .80 and after seeing yours, I will begin to save up in earnest. It makes such a difference in lobe coverage. The new ones seem whiter and more sparkly, too.... Congratulations! (Also, your daughter is very lucky to have gotten such a wonderful wedding gift from you!)

lizzyann

Ideal_Rock
DS, it's all your fault! I just upgraded at BGD! I went from .61/.62ish each J SI1's to .775/.772 H SI1's. I could have went with .8/.83 J VS1's, but I decided these would be my last upgrade so go with the better color. I did the martini for now. you think I'll notice a decent size diff?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results