shape
carat
color
clarity

Which One, and What Color and Clarity?

M

MTHealthyLiving

I had DK take apart two diamond bands to create one new band and the cost was definitely less than if I had just purchased new diamonds for the band. I'm not sure what size diamonds you have, but mine are three pointers. I would ask him, he's great about giving options. Oh, and if he takes apart your current ring, you can also request a credit for the leftover white gold.

Oh good to know!
I’m actually going with a jeweler here (I think, we’ll see how the meeting with them goes today), that is recommended by PS.
I will definitely ask about taking apart the ring vs. new diamonds. The diamonds are super small so I thought that might make it more labor intensive. But I could be very wrong.
Also I would like larger diamonds if I can, to match those in my wedding band. But we’ll see.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
84EF94DD-F904-409F-81C0-BA5F91484D9A.jpeg I would keep the melee if it they are all sufficiently white and clear. There is no reason to have them tested. It’s wasting money if you don’t use those diamonds as that sapphire though sentimental isn’t the majority of the cost of that original ring.

I wonder if you could buy 9 more sapphires the size of that center stone and use them in a double halo. Get a sapphire, put a double halo around it of sapphires and diamonds. That sure would be sharp.
Sort of like this

mrsgreeneyes

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Oh good to know!
I’m actually going with a jeweler here (I think, we’ll see how the meeting with them goes today), that is recommended by PS.
I will definitely ask about taking apart the ring vs. new diamonds. The diamonds are super small so I thought that might make it more labor intensive. But I could be very wrong.
Also I would like larger diamonds if I can, to match those in my wedding band. But we’ll see.
If you're wanting to use larger diamonds then I would just ask if they will give a trade credit for the white gold and diamonds left in the setting after the Yogo is removed. It won't be much, but definitely easier and quicker than reselling the setting which would be hard to do in its current state.

M

MTHealthyLiving

84EF94DD-F904-409F-81C0-BA5F91484D9A.jpeg I would keep the melee if it they are all sufficiently white and clear. There is no reason to have them tested. It’s wasting money if you don’t use those diamonds as that sapphire though sentimental isn’t the majority of the cost of that original ring.

I wonder if you could buy 9 more sapphires the size of that center stone and use them in a double halo. Get a sapphire, put a double halo around it of sapphires and diamonds. That sure would be sharp.
Sort of like this

Thanks for the input on the melee. I will certainly keep them if they are good!
Do you mean 9 more yogos the size of my center yogo?
That would be almost $3,000 just in yogos.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for the input on the melee. I will certainly keep them if they are good!
Do you mean 9 more yogos the size of my center yogo?
That would be almost $3,000 just in yogos.

I’m not sure it would be - you’d be surprised what places mark up colored stones. You might pop over to the colored stone side of PS and see who they recommend

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I really like the inspiration @Niel posted. That round of yogo melee would visually increase the size of our yogo and if tilted off level, it would add sparkle in more angles. But, you'd likely need more than 9...maybe a multiple would work (9, 18, etc.). Yogos tend to be small, so they suit cutting smaller stones. Earth's Treasury has a very nice selection of montanta sapphires which are welll cut. Jeff may be able to get yogo melee for you and, if so, I'd trust they would be the real thing. You could also look at a tone-on-tone effect and look at montana sapphire melee. Braze of BlazeNGems has some pretty melee in blue and blue-green.

M

MTHealthyLiving

I really like the inspiration @Niel posted. That round of yogo melee would visually increase the size of our yogo and if tilted off level, it would add sparkle in more angles. But, you'd likely need more than 9...maybe a multiple would work (9, 18, etc.). Yogos tend to be small, so they suit cutting smaller stones. Earth's Treasury has a very nice selection of montanta sapphires which are welll cut. Jeff may be able to get yogo melee for you and, if so, I'd trust they would be the real thing. You could also look at a tone-on-tone effect and look at montana sapphire melee. Braze of BlazeNGems has some pretty melee in blue and blue-green.

Unfortunately my husband is not on board with me adding more yogos, as that is not what he gave me. He’s pretty sentimental about it too, and I’m okay with that. I would like to increase my finger coverage though, but not sure how to do it without dwarfing the yogo.

mrsgreeneyes

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Unfortunately my husband is not on board with me adding more yogos, as that is not what he gave me. He’s pretty sentimental about it too, and I’m okay with that. I would like to increase my finger coverage though, but not sure how to do it without dwarfing the yogo.
Is that a new development? You said earlier you wanted to add ten more Yogos.

M

MTHealthyLiving

I want more yogos, but he doesn’t want me adding them.

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ok. What about a three stone halo?

Ritani
upload_2018-2-23_15-15-44.jpeg
M1r1326C_27255_PerspectiveView1-shadow_.png

Gabriel NY
https://www.gabrielny.com/engagement-ring/ER12770R4W44JJ

Attachments

• upload_2018-2-23_15-12-37.png
    upload_2018-2-23_15-12-37.png
    135 KB · Views: 25
  • upload_2018-2-23_15-14-47.png
    upload_2018-2-23_15-14-47.png
    467.9 KB · Views: 22
M

MTHealthyLiving

How about bezeling the sapphire and then having a halo? sapphire halo bezel.jpg

I do like that! My husband’s biggest concern is a good setting so I don’t lose the yogo. A bezel would certainly do the job for protection.

mrsgreeneyes

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Do you know the diameter of your Yogo? I like the ideas presented here, but the center stones are considerably larger.

mrsgreeneyes

Shiny_Rock
Premium
That looks like a great option. Though I would ditch the prongs and just go with a bezel around the Yogo, don't want anything to clutter the view of it!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
FBDCEE15-2DA2-42F6-AB57-7305CC663B36.jpeg I don’t, but if I had to guess it’s about 3mm.
This is what I presented to the jeweler today, and he’s going to get me a quote.
I would abso Not bezel this as it’ll darken the stone and at that size I would not want to chance what that’ll do to the color.

Loooove this option. Should be a stuller so affordable. I wonder if you could get matching mele for the inner halo, but I like the double diamond halo too

M

MTHealthyLiving

That looks like a great option. Though I would ditch the prongs and just go with a bezel around the Yogo, don't want anything to clutter the view of it!

Do you think the bezel will make the Small yogo look smaller?

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes. And darker.

M

MTHealthyLiving

Yes. And darker.

That’s what I thought. I wouldn’t mind a bezel around the outside halo, but not the yogo.

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What if you had a jeweler cut off the head, bezel, portion of your ring and turn that into a pendant. As is.

Then recycle the gold shank of the ring toward the price of a brand new ring with a brand new yogo that your husband "gives" to you. Maybe design it so you can wear it along with your wedding band.

Then you can have a "special" yogo ring AND a special yogo pendant BOTH given to you by your husband. ;-)

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I'm glad you are remaking the original ring - I think you need to politely explain to him that while you and everyone here including myself get the sentimental meaning and attachment to the ring, the original ring design and the metalwork is badly made and damaged to the point where stones can now fall out of it and be lost. I don't know if there is a diplomatic way to explain that to him without making it sound like it wasn't good enough, other than many people without finding this forum buy sub quality rings and stones without actually comprehending that the workmanship is below what it should be. Many mall stores and internet companies sell substandard metalwork in their rings, which don't wear well and fall apart, if he does need to be reassured there is currently a member over in Rockytalk who has two Tiffany rings that fell apart so even the so called "best quality" companies can indeed produce poor metalwork.

The Yogo you have is also not a top Yogo colour, you should be able to find other blue sapphires of US origin including "Yogo" stones that are small to make a halo for a reasonable price, or other blue sapphires from other places to make a halo that match the colour of this one for a decent price. You could email someone like these people on Etsy and see if they have any more Yogo melee;

https://www.etsy.com/au/listing/189100679/sterling-silver-montana-yogo-sapphire-3?ga_order=most_relevant&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_search_query=yogo sapphires&ref=sr_gallery-1-45

People here are suggesting styles with larger halos, double halos etc to give the ring more presence on your hand, I'm not sure you are going to be able to make something that matches your band unless the stone is set into a plain bezel.

M

MTHealthyLiving

I'm glad you are remaking the original ring - I think you need to politely explain to him that while you and everyone here including myself get the sentimental meaning and attachment to the ring, the original ring design and the metalwork is badly made and damaged to the point where stones can now fall out of it and be lost. I don't know if there is a diplomatic way to explain that to him without making it sound like it wasn't good enough, other than many people without finding this forum buy sub quality rings and stones without actually comprehending that the workmanship is below what it should be. Many mall stores and internet companies sell substandard metalwork in their rings, which don't wear well and fall apart, if he does need to be reassured there is currently a member over in Rockytalk who has two Tiffany rings that fell apart so even the so called "best quality" companies can indeed produce poor metalwork.

The Yogo you have is also not a top Yogo colour, you should be able to find other blue sapphires of US origin including "Yogo" stones that are small to make a halo for a reasonable price, or other blue sapphires from other places to make a halo that match the colour of this one for a decent price. You could email someone like these people on Etsy and see if they have any more Yogo melee;

https://www.etsy.com/au/listing/189100679/sterling-silver-montana-yogo-sapphire-3?ga_order=most_relevant&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_search_query=yogo sapphires&ref=sr_gallery-1-45

People here are suggesting styles with larger halos, double halos etc to give the ring more presence on your hand, I'm not sure you are going to be able to make something that matches your band unless the stone is set into a plain bezel.

My husband understands that it needs be be remade. He just doesn’t want me changing the look of the remake too much.
The jeweler actually said it’s a good, solid ring, and it’s in good condition other than the damage I did that can’t be repaired. It is not a mall ring, nor was it made by an internet company.
The yogo sapphire I have is a Montana Yogo sapphire, mined 40 miles from my home, and does not originate from anywhere else in the world. They are incredibly rare, and quite expensive. For example, a 4 carat Montana yogo sapphire sells for well over $100,000.
Yogo sapphires also vary in color from deep blue, to purple, to turquoise (cornflower blue). So I’m not sure what is considered “top” color, but it is indeed an authentic Montana yogo sapphire. Mine falls into the cornflower Blue, and I’m okay with the color. I like that it’s not the typical deep blue of other sapphires. The uniqueness of it coming from my hometown is quite appealing.

Last edited by a moderator:

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
How did you damage the ring in the first place? I think if you have decided to recreate a similar setting that is your choice, I, like the others here have bought and sold enough rings to know that when you are talking about having to make ring guards and bands to go around rings then in general it's just wasted money, that's all anyone was trying to point out because you can spend a small fortune making them without getting a substantially better result from them.
I agree the uniqueness and specialness of the stones is that it has sentiment to you, your husband and where you live. Yes I am familiar with Yogo sapphires and the colours they come in, your stone is what the trade describe as more of a denim blue, it has too much grey in it to be described as top "Yogo" colour which is that vivid electric to that cornflower blue you describe, those are the stones that go for top $$$$$s and are relatively rare - the rest unless it is an unusual or rare colour you can buy on places like Esty, Ebay and vendors like Blaze at Blazengems who is a lovely guy for O.K prices, and in general the smaller they are the less rare they are and the less they are worth too. Type in Yogo sapphire into ebay and you will find dozens of them.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Montana-Yo...349730?hash=item3b00bb5de2:g:JT4AAOSwnYBaUnbT

Last edited:
M

MTHealthyLiving

How did you damage the ring in the first place? I think if you have decided to recreate a similar setting that is your choice, I, like the others here have bought and sold enough rings to know that when you are talking about having to make ring guards and bands to go around rings then in general it's just wasted money, that's all anyone was trying to point out because you can spend a small fortune making them without getting a substantially better result from them.
I agree the uniqueness and specialness of the stones is that it has sentiment to you, your husband and where you live. Yes I am familiar with Yogo sapphires and the colours they come in, your stone is what the trade describe as more of a denim blue, it has too much grey in it to be described as top "Yogo" colour which is that vivid electric to that cornflower blue you describe, those are the stones that go for top $$$$$s and are relatively rare - the rest unless it is an unusual or rare colour you can buy on places like Esty, Ebay and vendors like Blaze at Blazengems who is a lovely guy for O.K prices, and in general the smaller they are the less rare they are and the less they are worth too. Type in Yogo sapphire into ebay and you will find dozens of them.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Montana-Yo...349730?hash=item3b00bb5de2:g:JT4AAOSwnYBaUnbT

I damaged the ring by swinging my hand onto the edge of a door frame. The jeweler said I had to have hit it hard to do that much damage.
If you go back and read through this thread, you will see that I’m no longer having a ring guard made.
As for the color of the yogo...Keep in mind there’s also been a filter applied to my photo as well as other edits. You can not accurately determine the color of my yogo based on my photo.
But thanks for trying to make me feel like my piece of jewelry isn’t worth much. When my husband gave it to me we were waiting on test results to find out if he had cancer. We were also celebrating his very successful first year in business, our 10 year anniversary, and my birthday. So quite frankly, I don’t care what the yogo is worth, and I never asked about the value of it in the first place.
Thanks for being such a buzzkill.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I damaged the ring by swinging my hand onto the edge of a door frame. The jeweler said I had to have hit it hard to do that much damage.
If you go back and read through this thread, you will see that I’m no longer having a ring guard made.
As for the color of the yogo...Keep in mind there’s also been a filter applied to my photo as well as other edits. You can not accurately determine the color of my yogo based on my photo.
But thanks for trying to make me feel like my piece of jewelry isn’t worth much. When my husband gave it to me we were waiting on test results to find out if he had cancer. We were also celebrating his very successful first year in business, our 10 year anniversary, and my birthday. So quite frankly, I don’t care what the yogo is worth, and I never asked about the value of it in the first place.
Thanks for being such a buzzkill.

You posted this asking people for their opinions, and their opinions were that a ring guard and even possibly a remake in this instance is probably going to be a waste of time and money, for most people who don't know you personally obviously given we don't know your background and you came here asking for opinions on what to do with this ring that was their suggestion, but because of the above given reasons for you it obviously isn't a waste. I agree blue sapphires are notoriously difficult to take good photos of. I'm sorry you damaged your ring. As stated I understand the sentimental attachment to things, I have things that aren't worth a lot that were owned by now dead family members that I probably too have a similar attachment too. Perhaps next time you should post in show me the bling or coloured stones rather than Rockytalk because that is where people simply admire stones rather than offering up advise you obviously don't want or need.

M

MTHealthyLiving

I didn’t post looking for admiration. I posted looking for advice on a guard which has now turned into a ring reset.
Nowhere did I ask for opinions on the value, color, etc.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results