shape
carat
color
clarity

Which One, and What Color and Clarity?

M

MTHealthyLiving

Theoretically, if the setting was so damaged it was beyond repair, but you could reclaim the sapphire and diamonds...what would you want made? Would you make a replica with a better side view?

Pave diamonds aside, would you be happier with a profile/ring like this? Is this too much a departure to affect the sentimental feeling you have?
https://www.jamesallen.com/engageme...-bezel-set-diamond-engagement-ring-item-53652)

upload_2018-2-20_10-45-35.png

If so, you might be able to get your bezel/halo shaped more like this by a skilled bench jeweller by them removing some of the excess material and re-shaping the head. No heat/soldering to do this (unless they need to add a support strut) so they may not need to unset your sapphire. If any heat is involved in work on the ring, you might need to unset the stone.

upload_2018-2-20_10-47-11.png

You have hit the nail on the head!
That bezel setting is exactly what I want. It’s not so much of a change that it would take away from the original piece, plus it would give it a more solid setting, and I could perhaps add another row of diamonds. =)2

Now to find a jeweler...

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That bezel setting is exactly what I want. It’s not so much of a change that it would take away from the original piece, plus it would give it a more solid setting, and I could perhaps add another row of diamonds. =)2

Now to find a jeweler...
Great! Glad to help. If you post your general geographic area, folks can post some suggested bench jewelers.

While the ring is with the jeweler, give it a full spa day and have them check and repair all the prongs. Retip if necessary. If this rework it not possible, or too costly, then you can then approach DK or another designer with a clear design in mind that they can work from. They can take your setting apart and then rebuild it with your clean design in mind.

M

MTHealthyLiving

Great! Glad to help. If you post your general geographic area, folks can post some suggested bench jewelers.

While the ring is with the jeweler, give it a full spa day and have them check and repair all the prongs. Retip if necessary. If this rework it not possible, or too costly, then you can then approach DK or another designer with a clear design in mind that they can work from. They can take your setting apart and then rebuild it with your clean design in mind.

Thank you so much!

I’m in the Billings, Montana area.
I’m doing a little research online, but am open to any suggestions!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Now to find a jeweler...
Be aware the work you’re talking about will most likely cost more than the ring did

M

MTHealthyLiving

Be aware the work you’re talking about will most likely cost more than the ring did

I’m okay with that. If I end up with what I want without altering the ring too much, I’ll be happy. Plus, yogos are incredibly valuable, so that’s a plus.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
An good jeweler wouldn’t bezel that stone into that ring as the setting quality is such that they would suggest remaking the whole ring. I worry altering the setting to the degree you want will effect the structural integrity and have aesthetic issues from any jeweler willing to make these types of changes

You’re sentimental about it and I get that if you love the sentimentality I would keep it as is, trying to make too many changes to this setting will be costly and possibly ruin the ring

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like the 3rd one of your original options best. You don't seem entirely sure so I'd recommend making sure that whatever you do is returnable.

M

MTHealthyLiving

EE12292D-C70D-4653-BD5D-D1FA73272941.png
Isn’t it just a crummy, thin version of a bezel already? If they could replace the thin metal that surrounds the diamonds and yogos, with something that looks better and is stronger, I’d be happy.

An good jeweler wouldn’t bezel that stone into that ring as the setting quality is such that they would suggest remaking the whole ring. I worry altering the setting to the degree you want will effect the structural integrity and have aesthetic issues from any jeweler willing to make these types of changes

You’re sentimental about it and I get that if you love the sentimentality I would keep it as is, trying to make too many changes to this setting will be costly and possibly ruin the ring

liaerfbv

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I hope this comes across as helpful, but I'm going to be really honest and not beat around the bush here.

What you want to do with this ring probably won't work, will probably look worse, and will waste a lot of money. I get that you feel sentimental about it. However, trying to rework this setting will waste your time and money. If you don't like it, you need to either reset it or come to terms with it. There's no guard that's going to "change the look of the setting." There's no stack of bands that's going to make you love the ring if you don't already love it. I get it - we have all been there. Truly, I am very sympathetic to your issue here and I hope you know this bluntness is coming from a kind, please let me save you some trouble, place.

I don't see how a jeweler could competently rework this setting to what you want. Please, leave it be, get a new ring, or reset the sapphire. I will be really sad if you're posting in 6 months about how your ring was ruined and you wasted $2k.

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My original ring is poorly built but replacing anything like that is harder than it looks. So I (sometimes) wear my e-ring (but mostly don't) and did exactly what @Niel suggested, moved on to other things to make me happy rather than throwing good money after bad. I understand that's not an option for you. If you can't fix the setting cheaply or easily and it's sentimental either a) learn to live with it, b) box it and put it out of your mind, c) find something to wear with it that is so good it makes up all it's faults (I spent years trying but I wasn't able to do this so I did b). I think that's a hard task, but the enhancers you found look nice.

M

MTHealthyLiving

I hope this comes across as helpful, but I'm going to be really honest and not beat around the bush here.

What you want to do with this ring probably won't work, will probably look worse, and will waste a lot of money. I get that you feel sentimental about it. However, trying to rework this setting will waste your time and money. If you don't like it, you need to either reset it or come to terms with it. There's no guard that's going to "change the look of the setting." There's no stack of bands that's going to make you love the ring if you don't already love it. I get it - we have all been there. Truly, I am very sympathetic to your issue here and I hope you know this bluntness is coming from a kind, please let me save you some trouble, place.

I don't see how a jeweler could competently rework this setting to what you want. Please, leave it be, get a new ring, or reset the sapphire. I will be really sad if you're posting in 6 months about how your ring was ruined and you wasted $2k.

Thank you for your honesty!

At the very least couldn’t they put something a little better around the diamonds and yogo so it won’t get damaged so easily? It was a small bump with my hand into a wall that damaged it, so I worry that without a little better support it’s going to fall apart quickly.

M

MTHealthyLiving

My original ring is poorly built but replacing anything like that is harder than it looks. So I (sometimes) wear my e-ring (but mostly don't) and did exactly what @Niel suggested, moved on to other things to make me happy rather than throwing good money after bad. I understand that's not an option for you. If you can't fix the setting cheaply or easily and it's sentimental either a) learn to live with it, b) box it and put it out of your mind, c) find something to wear with it that is so good it makes up all it's faults (I spent years trying but I wasn't able to do this so I did b). I think that's a hard task, but the enhancers you found look nice.

I appreciate your input!
It’s such a weird situation because some days I LOVE the ring and other days the setting bugs me. Plus now that it’s bent after a small bump into a wall, I just wish they could do something to make it a bit stronger.

Gussie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Are you opposed to a complete reset? It will probably be way easier than trying to rework your set. The stones will all be there, the setting could be made in a very similar style so as not to lose the original thought of the ring.

M

MTHealthyLiving

Are you opposed to a complete reset? It will probably be way easier than trying to rework your set. The stones will all be there, the setting could be made in a very similar style so as not to lose the original thought of the ring.

I was at first, but now seeing how easily it is to damage, I think a reset could help it structurally.
Any ideas?

Gussie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
There are people on here that are far better at setting ideas. I would look on pinterest at bezel settings with pave bands to get some ideas.

liaerfbv

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thank you for your honesty!

At the very least couldn’t they put something a little better around the diamonds and yogo so it won’t get damaged so easily? It was a small bump with my hand into a wall that damaged it, so I worry that without a little better support it’s going to fall apart quickly.

I really don't see how. If they add more metal, it's going to look really unproportionate and weird. If they cut if off at the holes, it won't be structurally safe. I can't imagine it's structurally safe now if a small bump already bent the metal. The way the head of the ring is constructed doesn't look great now and once it's heated to make any changes I think it would just make it worse. Granted, I am not a bench jeweler and it definitely couldn't hurt to send it off and get an opinion from a good bench, but I've done a lot of projects and been on PS for a long time and seen a lot go wrong. I just really want you to save your time and money on something with a chance for a good outcome vs an upsetting experience.

M

MTHealthyLiving

There are people on here that are far better at setting ideas. I would look on pinterest at bezel settings with pave bands to get some ideas.

Thank you!

M

MTHealthyLiving

I really don't see how. If they add more metal, it's going to look really unproportionate and weird. If they cut if off at the holes, it won't be structurally safe. I can't imagine it's structurally safe now if a small bump already bent the metal. The way the head of the ring is constructed doesn't look great now and once it's heated to make any changes I think it would just make it worse. Granted, I am not a bench jeweler and it definitely couldn't hurt to send it off and get an opinion from a good bench, but I've done a lot of projects and been on PS for a long time and seen a lot go wrong. I just really want you to save your time and money on something with a chance for a good outcome vs an upsetting experience.

Thank you so much!
I’m thinking a reset is my best option. As sentimental as I am, I feel a reset will keep the ring much more structurally safe. And if I can use the sapphire and diamonds I have, I still have the ring, just in better metal.

liaerfbv

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thank you so much!
I’m thinking a reset is my best option. As sentimental as I am, I feel a reset will keep the ring much more structurally safe. And if I can use the sapphire and diamonds I have, I still have the ring, just in better metal.

I think that is A MUCH BETTER idea!!!! Really. I'm thrilled you're opening up to a reset. Structurally sound and a setting you love with sentimental stones your husband gave you is a win-win-win.

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I appreciate your input!
It’s such a weird situation because some days I LOVE the ring and other days the setting bugs me. Plus now that it’s bent after a small bump into a wall, I just wish they could do something to make it a bit stronger.

How long have you had your ring?

I ask because my love hate relationship was mostly in the beginning, when it was new. Time passed and I cared less about analysing how I felt toward it. On days that I love it, I wear it. On days I don't, I don't. Problem solved! All without hurt feelings or changing it to become a potentially less sentimental ring.

If you really think that resetting it will help, do it, but please think about how much you'd spend on it both emotionally and financially and if that would get you what you actually want.

liaerfbv

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

I ask because my love hate relationship was mostly in the beginning, when it was new. Time passed and I cared less about analysing how I felt toward it. On days that I love it, I wear it. On days I don't, I don't. Problem solved! All without hurt feelings or changing it to become a potentially less sentimental ring.

If you really think that resetting it will help, do it, but please think about how much you'd spend on it both emotionally and financially and if that would get you what you actually want.

I also totally agree with Rhea here. If you're fine not wearing it all the time, this is definitely an option too. I don't have an e-ring anymore and just wear a plain gold band. Life is amazingly less complicated. :lol:

M

MTHealthyLiving

I think that is A MUCH BETTER idea!!!! Really. I'm thrilled you're opening up to a reset. Structurally sound and a setting you love with sentimental stones your husband gave you is a win-win-win.

I’m the first to admit that I’m ridiculously stubborn, but as many have pointed out it would be devistating if the ring was ruined.
My husband will be no doubt upset at a reset, as he was upset when I insisted getting my wedding band fixed so I could wear them together. It made him feel like I thought the ring wasn’t good enough. Not true at all, but I’m sentimental about my wedding band too, so it only makes sense to put them together.
Anyway, thank you!

M

MTHealthyLiving

It’s such a roller coaster isn’t it!
At this point I think resetting is a good option ONLY because it’s not taking anything to damage the current setting. While I’m not in love with changing it, I’d be devistated if the ring broke or I lost stones down the road because it’s so delicate. Right now, I’m afraid to wear it at all.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Honestly what I hear i agree with Rhea- wear it when you love it don’t wear it when you don’t.

Find a ring that looks like what you’d rather be wearing those days you don’t want to wear this ring and spend your money on that. That’s the best suggestion I can give.

M

MTHealthyLiving

Honestly what I hear i agree with Rhea- wear it when you love it don’t wear it when you don’t.

Find a ring that looks like what you’d rather be wearing those days you don’t want to wear this ring and spend your money on that. That’s the best suggestion I can give.

That’s probably what I would have done had I not damaged it. Now I’m afraid to wear it because I could lose stones. I could fix it, but if it damaged so easily, it probably won’t be long before it’s irreparable. I’m thinking a reset is probably my best option now.

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That’s probably what I would have done had I not damaged it. Now I’m afraid to wear it because I could lose stones. I could fix it, but if it damaged so easily, it probably won’t be long before it’s irreparable. I’m thinking a reset is probably my best option now.

OP, a WG head can bend, the same happens to a friend of mine. The jeweler straightened it and it’s back to looking like new.

I second other’s advice to look for a new ring altogether and wear this one on special occasions. $1k can stretch far and resets are usually expensive. Your decision in the end.

KristinTech

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Whatever you decide, take your time. Wear your band alone for a bit and be sure the decision still feels right a month or two down the road.

Whatever happened with the Kay’s return? You should go update that thread!

M

MTHealthyLiving

Ok. I mean you could size it.
I don’t want to tell you what to do it just seems like you keep not being happy with your “set”

1000 could go a very far in finding a ring you might be happy with.

After much thought, I have decided to take the yogo, and reset it in a new ring. I’d like to do the yogo in the center, and surround it by 10 more yogos representing the number of years we have been married. Around that I’d like a row of diamonds, and more diamonds down the sides. I’m still a little sad about letting it go, but as long as I can keep the original yogo I’ll
be okay with it. I’ve done much research so I don’t end up with overly expensive accent diamonds, or something I don’t want. It seems it would be most cost effective to just take the yogo, and have all new diamonds in a setting, rather than taking apart the ring I have and resetting all of the stones.
Any thoughts? Advice?

mrsgreeneyes

Shiny_Rock
Premium
It seems it would be most cost effective to just take the yogo, and have all new diamonds in a setting, rather than taking apart the ring I have and resetting all of the stones.
Any thoughts? Advice?
I had DK take apart two diamond bands to create one new band and the cost was definitely less than if I had just purchased new diamonds for the band. I'm not sure what size diamonds you have, but mine are three pointers. I would ask him, he's great about giving options. Oh, and if he takes apart your current ring, you can also request a credit for the leftover white gold.

M

MTHealthyLiving

What about turning the halo/bezel/head portion of the ring into a pendant and getting a new ring like @Niel suggested? I can tell you from experience that I wish I had accepted the fact I wanted a new ring looooong before I sank so much money into trying to make it into something it could never be.

After much thought, I have decided to take the yogo, and reset it in a new ring. Yes, I’m incredibly stubborn! Lol!
I’d like to take the yogo in the center, and surround it by 10 more yogos representing the number of years we have been married. Around that I’d like a row of diamonds, and more diamonds down the sides. I’m still a little sad about letting it go, but as long as I can keep the original yogo I’ll
be okay with it. I’ve done much research so I don’t end up with overly expensive accent diamonds, or something I don’t want. It seems it would be most cost effective to just take the yogo, and have all new diamonds in a setting, rather than taking apart the ring I have and resetting all of the stones.
Any thoughts? Advice?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results