shape
carat
color
clarity

Which earrings Costco or Whiteflash and why?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
So interesting!! Glad you came back with an update. Would LOVE to see pix! Does the earring cover your piercing completely? Huggies are on my future wish list but I really prefer the ones that disguise "the hole" a bit.

BGD has some very cute baby huggies on special right now but the don''t seem to have the piercing-coverage I''d want.

ChunkyCushionLover

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/29/2010 1:59:37 PM
Author: Allison D.

Date: 1/29/2010 12:35:11 PM
Author: ChunkyCushionLover

Date: 1/29/2010 12:30:11 PM
Author: Wink
One thing I did not see mentioned is that most Costco diamonds are graded by IGI, who notoriously overgrades their diamonds.

The WhiteFlash diamonds will be graded by AGS in most cases. I am pretty sure that all of the ACA diamonds are graded by AGS.

That has a difference in the value at the wholesale and at the retail levels.

Wink
Are 10 point ACA sent to AGS? Where is the grading and certificates? Description says approximately 1 Carat, doesn''t sound like they would be graded at all.
Melee isn''t graded, but I think Wink''s point is still a valid one.

Our F/G stones would qualify as F or G according to AGS/GIA criteria. IGI is a considerably more lenient lab, so I/VS stones may translate to lower color melee by AGS/GIA standards. That''s quite a big difference in color, which definitely impacts price.

I''ve actually seen a few things from Costco, and they weren''t H&A quality cut-wise, so it''s not really an apples-to-apples comparison.

All that said, the goal in any jewelry purchase is to be happy with what you buy, and it sounds like Winternight is, so that''s the main goal. We all work with budgets and make trade-offs to help us hit our must-have criteria, and that''s different for everyone.
There is no doubt a color difference between AGS/GIA and IGI but I have to ask how you can be confident they would qualify as AGS F/G melee? How do you sort and grade 0.1 Carat Stones and ensure they are in fact cut to the standard of ACA?

SpareMyWallet

Shiny_Rock
I had no idea Costco stones were in the same league as BGD, WF, GOG and JA.
Makes me wonder why I did all this research, looked at ASET/IS images, if the eyes cannot discern a difference.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/29/2010 2:18:03 PM
Author: SpareMyWallet
Makes me wonder why I did all this research, looked at ASET/IS images, if the eyes cannot discern a difference.
We''re talking about VERY small stones and ONE particular customer -- not an engagement-sized stone.

SpareMyWallet

Shiny_Rock
Date: 1/29/2010 2:20:58 PM
Author: decodelighted
Date: 1/29/2010 2:18:03 PM

Author: SpareMyWallet

We''re talking about VERY small stones and ONE particular customer -- not an engagement-sized stone.
Ohhhhh!

This thread is making a lot more sense now that I know the context.
I feel silly. Now

ChunkyCushionLover

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/29/2010 12:40:45 PM
Author: winternight
I compared the WhiteFlash and Costco earrings at home, in office lighting, and with outdoor light (sunny and shady). Neither myself nor my husband saw any difference in the earrings in terms of performance. The Costco earrings were however much bigger for the same price. I was looking for the WhiteFlash pair to perform better, so if anything I was biased in their favor. When I first called WhiteFlash to order the earrings I was told that 1 ctw would not be a big visual difference from 1.45 ctw. When I got both pairs of earrings I was surprised at how much bigger the Costco ones looked. Sorry that I haven't posted pics. I'll try to this weekend. I think I've mentioned before that I did like the design of the WhiteFlash pair better, if you look at the pics you'll notice the differences in shared prongs and they seemed a little heavier in gold weight, but overall it wasn't enough of a difference compared to seeing the size/performance of the diamonds.

Curlygirly, I don't think you'd be dissapointed in these earrings. I wear mine all the time to work, these and my pearl studs are my staples. My only problem is I can't see how fabulous they are when I'm wearing them! To me they are the perfect impressive enough, but not over the top size for work/everday.
What about the difference in Color, how come you didn't notice or mention that? 2 Grades or more of color difference should definitely be noticeable especially if the two are beside one another.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/29/2010 4:04:32 PM
<What about the difference in Color, how come you didn''t notice or mention that? 2 Grades or more of color difference should definitely be noticeable especially if the two are beside one another.
Why so hostile? People have the right to their opinions & choices! Geez ...

winternight

Brilliant_Rock
No visible difference in color. And lots of people don''t distinguish between two or more grades of color if you read the threads on here about color there are countless threads about how white lower colored than I diamonds are. My Tiffany diamonds are all about F/G/H in color and I don''t see a difference between those and the Costco earrings. Didn''t see a difference in color between the WhiteFlash earrings and Costco earrings either.

I don''t see why you CushionCutLover are so invested in what I see as a difference or why you have to be such a jerk about a purchase that has made me very happy and was a gift from my husband. I''d appreciate it if you''d no longer post on my thread. I don''t mind questions, but your tone sucks.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Enjoy your beautiful earrings winternight! I hope they bring you lots of happiness.
1.gif

The tone in here is odd. Whiteflash is not the be all end all.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can't believe the negativity in this thread! Just because Winternight decided to go with somebody other than a PS vendor - well good on her. She compared, she decided and she's going to be the one wearing them! People get so hung up on ACA and cut and at the end of the day, good diamonds will sparkle. For earrings people are hardly likely to get close enough to see the actual cut of the diamonds in any case.

I'm glad you like them and feel that your review has been balanced and helpful. Thank you.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I own an half eternity band with 5pt diamond that are BDG signature melee (similar to ACAs), and I own a half eternity band with 8pt. "good" quality melee. In truth, I *can* see a difference between the two if I really scrutinize, and I know what a well cut diamond should look like! But the difference is fairly minute.

In my experience, when you are talking about diamonds under 10 points, and probably for diamonds up to 15 points, the difference in performance for cut quality is not huge. The way that small diamonds perform optically is just different than the way larger diamond perform. Small diamond most of the time are little white circles. Even poorly cut stones like those in my larger half eternity manage fairly well to look like little white circles
3.gif
I notice more fire off my well cut melee than my poorly cut melee though, but this is a rare occurance in certain lighting.

The biggest deterninant of a diamond''s appearance is lighting, lighting, lighting... and then cut. I think this is *expecially* true for very small melee.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/29/2010 4:04:32 PM
What about the difference in Color, how come you didn''t notice or mention that? 2 Grades or more of color difference should definitely be noticeable especially if the two are beside one another.
Not in melee diamonds. You can''t see body color in diamonds that small. All you see is white light return in my experience.

ChunkyCushionLover

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/29/2010 5:16:28 PM
No visible difference in color. And lots of people don''t distinguish between two or more grades of color if you read the threads on here about color there are countless threads about how white lower colored than I diamonds are. My Tiffany diamonds are all about F/G/H in color and I don''t see a difference between those and the Costco earrings. Didn''t see a difference in color between the WhiteFlash earrings and Costco earrings either.

I don''t see why you CushionCutLover are so invested in what I see as a difference or why you have to be such a jerk about a purchase that has made me very happy and was a gift from my husband. I''d appreciate it if you''d no longer post on my thread. I don''t mind questions, but your tone sucks.
Winternight,

I applaud you for posting this thread and continuing to post here. You are tearing down the commonly held opinion that Whiteflash ACA are superior melee to the generic diamonds and that there is a discernable difference even in smaller stones. I have often wondered if it is worth the premium myself so this thread interests me as does your opinion.

I questioned both yours and Allison''s posts, because I am interested. Your thorough review of both pieces led me to the conclusion that you are looking carefullly and critically and that it isn''t simply a poster seeking validation for a purchase they made.

Do not mistake my questions for rudeness as they are not intended that way in fact I would tend to beleive your objective opinion far more than a vendor whose comments seem quite subjective and self serving.

However, this thread is in Rocky Talky, we discuss diamond grading here and comparisons both positive and negative, if you want to simply be congratulated than post pictures in SMTR and everyone will tell you how beautiful they look, this forum has a more critical nature to it.

Really no offense meant I wasn''t trying to insult you or subject you to the spanish inquisition.
2.gif
A simple upon close inspection I didn''t notice a color difference would have sufficed as you didn''t specifically mention that in your review.

Thanks DD for pointing out the principal that in smaller stones it may be more difficult to notice color differences, it has been my experience that I notice a difference between higher color and lower color melee but this may only be because in general the better quality cut melee is found in the more expensive higher colored rough.

Sincerely,
CCL

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Congratulations, Winternight! I''m so glad you''re happy with them! Looking forward to your pics!

For the educated PSer, I think it''s much easier to pick and choose from the jewelry offered by Costco. I''ve seen some lovely pieces there that looked to be an excellent value, and quite nice.

That being said, while I can appreciate an ACA (I own just one), I can also appreciate the beauty of a slightly less precision cut diamond. My earrings and bezel pendant, for example. A bit wonky, but they sparkle like the dickens.

I suspect clean diamonds with negligible differences in cut, but more visible differences in size, would likely win over a majority of women. Even PS educated women. Maybe not a huge majority, but in this case, if I''d had my eyes on both pairs of earrings in all lighting conditions, I might make the same choice Winternight did.
2.gif

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/29/2010 6:56:21 PM
Really no offense meant I wasn''t trying to insult you or subject you to the spanish inquisition.
Whether posted in RockyTalky or SMTR ... calling someone "pretentious" for comparing their purchase to previously purchased Tiffany items seems pretty "insulting" to me.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Winternight,

I am so glad you are happy and thanks for coming back with an update and your review, it is appreciated!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It would be great if you could post some pictures sometime too please!

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I found this thread because I searched on diamond huggies. I am off to read your review on the Costco earrings.

The WF earrings look too "thick" for me -- I think I am looking for smaller mm diamonds, sounds like Costco will be thick too.

I think it''s great that you compared the two and picked the ones you liked best!

What BGD earrings are on special? All I see are the pave huggies! Can someone link me to the pair on special? Thanks PSers

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/29/2010 2:12:17 PM
So interesting!! Glad you came back with an update. Would LOVE to see pix! Does the earring cover your piercing completely? Huggies are on my future wish list but I really prefer the ones that disguise ''the hole'' a bit.

BGD has some very cute baby huggies on special right now but the don''t seem to have the piercing-coverage I''d want.
This is the BGD huggies that I''m asking about being linked to. Unless they are pave I don''t see them on their site. Thanks!

Gleam

Brilliant_Rock
Too bad the OP didn''t post pics. Would''ve been interesting to see, especially the size difference.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/30/2010 6:34:48 PM
Author: Stone Hunter
What BGD earrings are on special? All I see are the pave huggies! Can someone link me to the pair on special? Thanks PSers
These had been on special for a day or two. Maybe an "opening day" special? I think the price was $337 or something? Seems the special is over.
39.gif

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/30/2010 11:57:28 PM

Date: 1/30/2010 6:34:48 PM
Author: Stone Hunter
These had been on special for a day or two. Maybe an 'opening day' special? I think the price was $337 or something? Seems the special is over.
39.gif
Thanks for replying. Their web site seems to be down. I'll try your link again later! Bummer if I missed a great bargain.
7.gif

OK they are back up...they look very nice but I'm not sure that the earring shape is round and the stones look graduated in the photos but per details they aren't. Still a great option but very small tcw. Thanks!!

winternight

Brilliant_Rock
only for you guys, an ear shot! I''m trying, so we''ll see how it turns out.

phpbuNoYHPM.jpg

winternight

Brilliant_Rock
Here is a shot on my hand to get an idea of size.

hand shot 171.jpg

winternight

Brilliant_Rock
Here is one of the shots comparing the whiteflash and costco pairs --- as you can see I have zero photography skills. This should give some idea (I hope) of the difference in size.

compare 171.jpg

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very pretty!

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh wow. That is a big difference in size. I would have gone Costco too!

laurenfischer5

Shiny_Rock
The second link didn''t work for me

curlygirly

Rough_Rock
Winternight, they are great! They are quite a bit larger, eh?

Ok...but are you ready for this? I think Costco no longer sells these earrings!?! I looked today and they are no longer listed. And I emailed them to find out. LOL. At least I got the green light from hubby to purchase for our anniversary/valentines day. So if I find anything similar or if they come back, I will post.

Thank you so much again for your review and for posting photos.
30.gif

email from Costco:
Dear Curlygirly,

Unfortunately, that item has sold out and is currently out of stock. Please keep checking our web site for availability.

We have no advance information on the future availability or pricing of products. Our buyers are negotiating constantly with vendors and manufacturers for products and product bundles that offer exceptional values to Costco members. Our web site is live, in real-time with inventory. We only offer exactly what you see available on our web site. If you don't see exactly what you want, we suggest you keep checking because we add and delete items 24 hours a day.

The items on Costco.com, including promotional offers, are limited to supplies on hand and we are unable to guarantee price or availability. Costco.com purchases in bulk quantities to get the best price for our customers, and our buyers try to negotiate additional inventory whenever an item is sold out. At times, we are unable to replenish our inventory. We do not backorder items and do not issue or honor rain checks.

We value your business and thank you for shopping Costco.com!

Costco Wholesale Corporation

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/1/2010 9:52:19 PM
only for you guys, an ear shot! I''m trying, so we''ll see how it turns out.
Those are super, thanks so much!!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results