shape
carat
color
clarity

Which earrings Costco or Whiteflash and why?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

winternight

Brilliant_Rock
I''m thinking of ordering one of the following:

http://www.whiteflash.com/Fine-jewelry/Diamond_Studs/Shared-Prong-Hoop-Diamond-Earrings_1215.htm#

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11135664&whse=BC&Ne=4000000&eCat=BC|108|56641|3109&N=4017709&Mo=33&No=16&ViewAll=34&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&cat=3109&Ns=P_Price|1||P_SignDesc1&lang=en-US&Sp=C&hierPath=108*56641*3109*&topnav=

The Costco earrings are almost a half carat bigger for the same price. Costco diamonds are VS and I or better, but I wonder if the White Flash pair would sparkle more? or if the 1/2 ct would show up as a big difference? Any thoughts?

I''m wondering if I should just go ahead and order both or is that nuts?

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Depends on what your preference is...the Whiteflash are ACAs so they will really sparkly. The other ones are probably
an "ok" cut (they arent graded by anyone are they)? I have to see the arrows in my diamonds these days so they have
to be fairly well cut. But the size that the Costcos give you might be what you are more interested in? I cant really tell
you but for me it would proabably be the ACAs.

winternight

Brilliant_Rock
The sparkley issue is a huge one for me, I definitely want well cut stones. I just didn''t know if there would be much of a visual difference between these two pairs.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
I wouldn''t risk it for a barely noticeable jump in tcw. How much bigger would those Costco stones really be at that size?

Why not ask BGD to quote out a pair at the Costco size & see how they come in $-wise? They''d be on par with the Whiteflash stones at least.

Ordering both would be a very informative experience though! If you do choose to ... PLEASE share your results with the PSers ... with LOTS of photos!
2.gif

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
For me, Whitflash hands down. The ACA stones will be gorgeous and come with an AGS report. There is no guarantee what the Costco stones will be. I wouldn't take the risk when I know that the WF stones will be winners. ACAs are the best that WF's offers.

And 1/2 ct divided among 10 stones wouldn't be noticeable for me to accept a lesser quality of stone.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not that it matters much but Costco''s are in 14K white gold, WF are in 18K WG.

winternight

Brilliant_Rock
Sorry what is BGD? I''m a little scared to do custom in case I don''t like the earrings, so I''d prefer ready-made.

Any preference between white gold and platinum, I''m leaning towards the white gold.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/30/2009 7:32:28 PM
Author: winternight
Sorry what is BGD? I'm a little scared to do custom in case I don't like the earrings, so I'd prefer ready-made.
BGD = Brian Gavin Diamonds. I've posted their version of the earrings for you on another thread. So it *is* something they already do ... though it would not be a "premade" piece.

Edited to add: Click here on this line to see your earlier thread & the link to the BGD pair I suggested. Kaleigh, I believe, has the Whiteflash pair and loves it. I think you'd be safe with either of those two vendors. Costco is a total unknown to me personally as far as diamond quality. The stones I saw at my local Sam's Club were not impressive AT ALL.

winternight

Brilliant_Rock
I decided to stop obsessng and go ahead and order the WhiteFlash pair. Thanks for all the advice, especially Deco who actually got me interested in this pair in the first place. Wow, so excited that WhiteFlash does overnight shipping, so I should have them by Wednesday!!

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Congrats! Hope they take your breath away with sparkle! PIX!!! Pretty please?!

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am SURE you will be AMAZED at the ACA''s. You made the right choice!

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love the Costco hoops, I have been wishing for them myself. I think they are a
better value for the money. I would get them home and see how you like them size wise
and cut wise. I have bought several diamond pieces from costco and I own a BGD
diamond ring, and I love my pieces from costco. I own a 5 stone band and all the stones
have nice arrows. I know the stones in the costco earrings are 14 pointers. I like the
size the WF are smaller if I remember and not as much carat weight. The thing is, if
you dont think they are sparkly enough or not the right size you bring them back, no
hassle. Really if you could compare both would be great, but I wouldn''t hesitate with
the costco hoops if the size and value work for you. So what if they are not certified,
I bet they are gorgeous!

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
one more thing, you can search the web for articles but costco''s diamonds have been
rated to be very good quality by an outside consumer group. I know they are not very
well reviewed hear but this is also not your engagement ring. I have also owned a
1.70 round from whiteflash that was gorgeous as well. Brian''s diamonds are gorgeous and
you cant go wrong but sometimes the value is important too.
In addition to my five stone band, I own a pendant that is made up of princess cut
invisible set stones in the shape of a heart, 1 cttw. I have had people stop me to
ask about it. It sparkles like mad. I also own the little tiny bezel band that has
about .14 stones and the tiny stones have perfect arrows!

if you get them, please post them, I am so dying to see them Irl!

curlygirly

Rough_Rock
Did you ever end up comparing these two? I am really curious! Do you have any pictures? Thanks!!
18.gif

curlygirly

Rough_Rock
Hi Winternight, I am still new here and I''m not sure if my last reply is something you can see? Did you ever end up comparing the costco earrings to the whiteflash? Thanks!! :)

centrc

Rough_Rock
http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11135664&whse=BC&Ne=4000000&eCat=BC|108|56641|3109&N=4017709&Mo=33&No=16&ViewAll=34&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&cat=3109&Ns=P_Price|1||P_SignDesc1&lang=en-US&Sp=C&hierPath=108*56641*3109*&topnav

Read the review. I think she went with the Cosco ones. :)

curlygirly

Rough_Rock
Thanks Centrc. :) I think I''m going to try them after I save up some more $$. They do seem to be a great deal as long as they sparkle properly.
31.gif

ChunkyCushionLover

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/30/2009 10:56:09 PM
Author: winternight
I decided to stop obsessng and go ahead and order the WhiteFlash pair. Thanks for all the advice, especially Deco who actually got me interested in this pair in the first place. Wow, so excited that WhiteFlash does overnight shipping, so I should have them by Wednesday!!
I have an idea, bring the WF pair to costco and compare them, take a photograph and post it if you feel up to it. Its always nice to confirm your choice and if you feel it was correct, also keep in mind costco has big bright lights wonderful for seeing jewelry at its best so you should have fun doing this.

SpareMyWallet

Shiny_Rock
Date: 1/29/2010 12:34:17 AM
Author: ChunkyCushionLover
I have an idea, bring the WF pair to costco and compare them, take a photograph and post it if you feel up to it. Its always nice to confirm your choice and if you feel it was correct, also keep in mind costco has big bright lights wonderful for seeing jewelry at its best so you should have fun doing this.

I think she did do that.

Here is the review from Costco:

"I''m so happy with these. All of the rest of my diamond jewelry comes in a blue box and these earrings sparkle just as much, they also looked just as good as a ACA certified pair which I bought to compare them with. The Costco earrings were 1/2 ct. larger and it really showed. Perfect size for everyday that still has a big enough wow factor. I wish they were 18k, but honestly for plated white gold it really doesn''t matter.
I''ve had no problems with the claps/closing of the earrings, unlike the other reviewer."

So the costco diamond looked the same as an ACA? I find that a little hard to believe.

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/29/2010 3:25:57 AM
Author: SpareMyWallet

I think she did do that.

''I''m so happy with these. All of the rest of my diamond jewelry comes in a blue box and these earrings sparkle just as much, they also looked just as good as a ACA certified pair which I bought to compare them with. The Costco earrings were 1/2 ct. larger and it really showed. Perfect size for everyday that still has a big enough wow factor. I wish they were 18k, but honestly for plated white gold it really doesn''t matter.

I''ve had no problems with the claps/closing of the earrings, unlike the other reviewer.''

So the costco diamond looked the same as an ACA? I find that a little hard to believe.

If she saw them and you did not why do you find this hard to believe?

clgwli

Brilliant_Rock

I think she did do that.

''I''m so happy with these. All of the rest of my diamond jewelry comes in a blue box and these earrings sparkle just as much, they also looked just as good as a ACA certified pair which I bought to compare them with. The Costco earrings were 1/2 ct. larger and it really showed. Perfect size for everyday that still has a big enough wow factor. I wish they were 18k, but honestly for plated white gold it really doesn''t matter.

I''ve had no problems with the claps/closing of the earrings, unlike the other reviewer.''

Why is that? The person said she had them side by side. Costco has always been rated very highly when it comes to quality of the jewelry that they sell. I have purchased watches there for significantly less than what I could find on sale at another store. Great quality items too. So I could see that Costco has earrings like that for much less and the same quality.

ChunkyCushionLover

Ideal_Rock

I think she did do that.

'I'm so happy with these. All of the rest of my diamond jewelry comes in a blue box and these earrings sparkle just as much, they also looked just as good as a ACA certified pair which I bought to compare them with. The Costco earrings were 1/2 ct. larger and it really showed. Perfect size for everyday that still has a big enough wow factor. I wish they were 18k, but honestly for plated white gold it really doesn't matter.

I've had no problems with the claps/closing of the earrings, unlike the other reviewer.'

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder! considering they wrote pretentiously that their other pieces are all from Tiffany's I'm not sure I would trust this person's opinion on cut performance.
(Edit.. I think they meant the rhodium plating so never mind this sentence)

I would still like to see actual photographs, and also keep in mind as well everything will look good under huge bright halogens the differences may be much more apparent in outdoor lighting, but I'm willing to bet to more descrminating eyes there will be differences. On other hand comparing 10 pt diamonds to 14-15 pointers there are some definite tradeoffs and of diamonds this size the cut differences between good and top cut may be more difficult to discern.

Mrs Mitchell

Ideal_Rock
Really? I thought most white gold was plated with rhodium.

ChunkyCushionLover

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/29/2010 11:02:23 AM
Author: Mrs Mitchell
Really? I thought most white gold was plated with rhodium.
LOL you are right thats probably what they meant
14.gif
on me I'm tired this morning. I automatically processed a meaning of zinc with a gold plating, but I'm pretty sure they meant the rhodium plating and they are not saying its fake plated 14k gold.
11.gif

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
One thing I did not see mentioned is that most Costco diamonds are graded by IGI, who notoriously overgrades their diamonds.

The WhiteFlash diamonds will be graded by AGS in most cases. I am pretty sure that all of the ACA diamonds are graded by AGS.

That has a difference in the value at the wholesale and at the retail levels.

Wink

ChunkyCushionLover

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/29/2010 12:30:11 PM
Author: Wink
One thing I did not see mentioned is that most Costco diamonds are graded by IGI, who notoriously overgrades their diamonds.

The WhiteFlash diamonds will be graded by AGS in most cases. I am pretty sure that all of the ACA diamonds are graded by AGS.

Wink
Are 10 point ACA sent to AGS? Where is the grading and certificates? Description says approximately 1 Carat, doesn't sound like they would be graded at all.

winternight

Brilliant_Rock
I compared the WhiteFlash and Costco earrings at home, in office lighting, and with outdoor light (sunny and shady). Neither myself nor my husband saw any difference in the earrings in terms of performance. The Costco earrings were however much bigger for the same price. I was looking for the WhiteFlash pair to perform better, so if anything I was biased in their favor. When I first called WhiteFlash to order the earrings I was told that 1 ctw would not be a big visual difference from 1.45 ctw. When I got both pairs of earrings I was surprised at how much bigger the Costco ones looked. Sorry that I haven''t posted pics. I''ll try to this weekend. I think I''ve mentioned before that I did like the design of the WhiteFlash pair better, if you look at the pics you''ll notice the differences in shared prongs and they seemed a little heavier in gold weight, but overall it wasn''t enough of a difference compared to seeing the size/performance of the diamonds.

Curlygirly, I don''t think you''d be dissapointed in these earrings. I wear mine all the time to work, these and my pearl studs are my staples. My only problem is I can''t see how fabulous they are when I''m wearing them! To me they are the perfect impressive enough, but not over the top size for work/everday.

winternight

Brilliant_Rock
Oh and for the record, I wrote that my other jewelry is from Tiffany''s so that people would understand what I''m comparing the Costco diamonds too since not everyone knows what ACA diamonds are. I was trying to maximise the number of people for whom my review could be helpful. *rolls eyes*

curlygirly

Rough_Rock
Winternight, thank you for writing your review - it is really helpful! Obviously I would love to see photos if you have any.

I called my local Costco and the earrings are not available at the store - only online. If they were at the store, I''d have already gone to check them out.
31.gif

Allison D.

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/29/2010 12:35:11 PM

Date: 1/29/2010 12:30:11 PM
Author: Wink

Wink
Are 10 point ACA sent to AGS? Where is the grading and certificates? Description says approximately 1 Carat, doesn''t sound like they would be graded at all.
Melee isn''t graded, but I think Wink''s point is still a valid one.

Our F/G stones would qualify as F or G according to AGS/GIA criteria. IGI is a considerably more lenient lab, so I/VS stones may translate to lower color melee by AGS/GIA standards. That''s quite a big difference in color, which definitely impacts price.

I''ve actually seen a few things from Costco, and they weren''t H&A quality cut-wise, so it''s not really an apples-to-apples comparison.

All that said, the goal in any jewelry purchase is to be happy with what you buy, and it sounds like Winternight is, so that''s the main goal. We all work with budgets and make trade-offs to help us hit our must-have criteria, and that''s different for everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results