shape
carat
color
clarity

Which Diamond?

rabw

Rough_Rock
Hello everyone, new here and new to diamonds in general until the last few weeks.

I'm looking for a diamond for a special ring (;-)), have been reading up on the 4 C's and also the ideal proportions/angles.

I have narrowed down my interest to two diamonds that seem on paper to me to be pretty good, both with GIA certificates. Could I ask for your informed input on what would be your preference and why? Would either be more likely to have more amazing fire/sparkle? Are there any red flags in the details below that I'm overlooking? Thank you.

Diamond 1
Measurements 5.00 - 5.04 x 3.11mm
Carat Weight 0.48
Color Grade F
Clarity VVS2
Cut Excellent
Depth 61.90%
Table 56%
Crown Angle 35 deg
Crown Height 15.50%
Pavillion Angle 40.8 deg
Pavillion Depth 43.00%
Star Length 50%
Lower Half 80%
Girdle Medium to Slightly Thick, Faceted, 3.5%
Cutlet None
Polish Excellent
Symmetry Excellent
Fluorescence None
Characteristics Cloud, Surface Graining
Picture Yes
HCA 1.6

Diamond 2
Measurements 5.11 - 5.13 x 3.15mm
Carat Weight 0.5
Color Grade E
Clarity VS1
Cut Excellent
Depth 61.50%
Table 57%
Crown Angle 34.5 deg
Crown Height 15.00%
Pavillion Angle 40.8 deg
Pavillion Depth 43.00%
Star Length 55%
Lower Half 75%
Girdle Medium, Faceted, 3.5%
Cutlet None
Polish Excellent
Symmetry Excellent
Fluorescence None
Characteristics Feather
Picture No
HCA 1.4

rabw

Rough_Rock
This is the picture I have of Diamond 1, there is not one available of Diamond 2.

stone.jpg

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wouldnt want to buy without an image or video. Numbers are promising for both, but the high color/clarity might be overkill. Is there a culltural reason for it? If not, you could most likely get a larger stone. What is your budget?

rabw

Rough_Rock
These stones are about the same price, total cost inc ring/setting is approx £2000 inc VAT.

There is no cultural reason, one just happened to have high clarity. I just waded through a few hundred stones listed and the GIA certs of promising ones and picked out what seemed to be the best. Then did the HCA test on them.

Anything larger and she will think it’s impractical, however the best sparkle is obviously desirable.

Where I’m buying from I can return for 30 days for a full refund if that influences what decision you would make? I think the angles of the 0.5 stone look a fraction better to me. There is also a video of the 0.48, looks fine to my fairly untrained eye but I don’t think you get a good real life representation.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
These stones are about the same price, total cost inc ring/setting is approx £2000 inc VAT.

There is no cultural reason, one just happened to have high clarity. I just waded through a few hundred stones listed and the GIA certs of promising ones and picked out what seemed to be the best. Then did the HCA test on them.

Anything larger and she will think it’s impractical, however the best sparkle is obviously desirable.

Where I’m buying from I can return for 30 days for a full refund if that influences what decision you would make? I think the angles of the 0.5 stone look a fraction better to me. There is also a video of the 0.48, looks fine to my fairly untrained eye but I don’t think you get a good real life representation.
Ok, so she specifically requested a stone of this size? That's helpful to know.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do you have access to an ASET/IS image?

kmoro

Brilliant_Rock
Hey .... I get the not wanting to get something too big ... even though as I write that I feel funny because we are on PS ... but ... and I really hate to say this because I don’t want to be disrespectful of your needs and wants, have no idea about your fiancée etc .... BUT .... my earrings are .45 each .. and you know ... imo, that’s really small for an e-ring. Not crazy omg wth too small, but .... well ... I’ve had a bunch of e-rings come and go in my day, and I found that .50 just never quite cut it. I went to a .62 and those 12 points made all the difference to me ... maybe the size difference at that weight is more noticeable. You can see that I’m not exactly suggesting a huge leap ... I love the look of a dainty solitaire .... just ... maybe ... another ... 10-15 points?

For the sake of asking one last time: ... are you sure she wants a diamond of that size? I mean, you only sort of said so ... “anything bigger and she would think it’s impractical” but ARE YOU SURE? ... lol.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Agreed. There's a major difference between .75/.65/.5 and I honestly feel like .5 is very small so unless she has tried on rings that were that size (and larger) I would recommend .65 or .75

TreeScientist

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hey .... I get the not wanting to get something too big ... even though as I write that I feel funny because we are on PS ... but ... and I really hate to say this because I don’t want to be disrespectful of your needs and wants, have no idea about your fiancée etc .... BUT .... my earrings are .45 each .. and you know ... imo, that’s really small for an e-ring. Not crazy omg wth too small, but .... well ... I’ve had a bunch of e-rings come and go in my day, and I found that .50 just never quite cut it. I went to a .62 and those 12 points made all the difference to me ... maybe the size difference at that weight is more noticeable. You can see that I’m not exactly suggesting a huge leap ... I love the look of a dainty solitaire .... just ... maybe ... another ... 10-15 points?

For the sake of asking one last time: ... are you sure she wants a diamond of that size? I mean, you only sort of said so ... “anything bigger and she would think it’s impractical” but ARE YOU SURE? ... lol.

Yep, this is another case where it bears asking the question: Have you asked her, EXPLICITLY, what size she wants? Or are you assuming she wants this size because you think it is what she wants?

But let's keep in mind @kmoro and @lovedogs, the OP is located in the UK. Or at least, I'm assuming he is because he's quoting prices in GBP. The standard for diamond sizes is much smaller in the EU and UK (and pretty much everywhere else in the world other than maybe Singapore haha) compared to the USA. Here in Europe, you really don't see diamonds above .5 carats too often, so I'm guessing the OP wants to stick with the norms among his peers. Consider that a .5 carat in Europe is about the societal equivalent of a 1 carat in America, and that will give you an idea of where the OP is coming from. :)

Last edited:

kmoro

Brilliant_Rock
Yep, this is another case where it bears asking the question: Have you asked her, EXPLICITLY, what size she wants? Or are you assuming she wants this size because you think it is what she wants?

But let's keep in mind @kmoro and @lovedogs, the OP is located in the UK. Or at least, I'm assuming he is because he's quoting prices in GBP. The standard for diamond sizes is much smaller in the EU and UK (and pretty much everywhere else in the world other than maybe Singapore haha) compared to the USA. Here in Europe, you really don't see diamonds above .5 carats too often, so I'm guessing the OP wants to stick with the norms among his peers. Consider that a .5 carat in Europe is about the societal equivalent of a 1 carat in America, and that will give you an idea of where the OP is coming from. :)

The funny part about this ... the largest diamonds that I have ever seen in real life were on the hands of women from the UK (in Spain) .... but this aside, yes, it occurred to me too that the OP may be wanting to stay within EU norms ... ahhh, social considerations, lol

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think a 0.65-0.75 would strike a good balance between not looking small but having a lot of 'presence' ;-) :))

OP - what budget do you have? We can perhaps find you options.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results