shape
carat
color
clarity

What would you choose? 4ct J/VS2 or 3.3ct G/VS2??

What would you pick? A 4ct J/VS2 or a 3ct G/VS2 -- all other specs the same

• 4 carat J / VS2

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Miranda

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/2/2008 2:08:19 PM
Author: azbuyer

Date: 7/2/2008 1:35:20 PM
Author: dreamer_dachsie
I voted for the G not because of the color (I would pick whichever stone looked prettiest to me and I don''t really care about color), but because I actually think that a 3.3ct is a more managable size for everyday wear.

Of course, that depends on who you hang out with and what types of activities you do everyday, but that is just my thoughts given my lifestyle etc. I would prefer a 2.5ct if I were picking.

Had your GF expressed her opinions about size? If she is simply a bigger is better gal, then there is your answer
2.gif

Here is an option: can you let your gf pick? She may fall in love with one stone or the other, regardless of it''s size or color.

My gf is very petite (size 4.5 finger, like 95 lbs, etc.). I have received mixed opinions as to whether a stone should be in proportion to your hand/body or whether you should just wear whatever you feel comfortable in. We live in Manhattan, NYC so there are clearly wealthy people all around although no one in our immediate circle is married yet. But she does comment on the size of the ''rocks'' that her co-workers have or other people we see casually. I did ask her once if she would rather have size or quality and she always says quality.
*psssst* I''m the same size as your GF and I''d take the 4+ J. There''s no such thing as too big, IMO!!! LOL

That said, 3+ cts is nothing to sneeze at. I tried on a 3.2 ct round and it looked perfect for my hand! You really can''t lose. If you do get the 3.3 just be sure to buy someplace with an upgrade policy in case 3.3 starts to fell small to her!
9.gif

Good luck!

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/2/2008 4:05:57 PM
Author: MomHelpingSon
J stones show color/tint.

not necessarily. there are quite a few pricescopers who own J colored stones that face up nice and white. Cut it what makes the difference in stones that do and dont'' show color. ideal cut rounds can hide color very nicely where other shapes show more. I''m color sensitive and wouldn''t have believed a J could be color/tint/warmth(which is the term I prefer) free until I saw a pair of AGS0 j earrings that were white as can be. that said, in a cushion there is more of a chance that a J will have some warmth so the individual''s eye''s and sensitivity are really what matters.

vintagelover229

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If her hand is that small go for the 3 carat. I have a size 4 finger and 2 carats is a large as I would go. From the rings that I have seen that big, anything to HUGE on a small finger starts looking fake. Now, I haven''t seen to many girls with those size rocks, but I think it''s going to weigh down her small finger! 3 carats will be PLENTY for her little hands! Congrats on the upcoming engagment!

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Go for the 3.3G stone or a 3.3F (if you can). J stones show color/tint. Besides, from your post it appears you already have your answer since your GF told you she prefers quality!

P.S. I don't know any women that would pick a 2.5G (smaller stone) over a 3.3G...that is just silly!
Well there are some here.

My centre stone is a 1.42ct tsavorite and I chose that size because it is what I felt looked good on my hand (6.25 finger size), not because it fitted in any budget. I also picked a coloured stone because I don't actually care for diamonds not because I couldn't have had a diamond - FI offered me the e-ring of my choice (as long as it wasn't the Millenium Star
31.gif
).

If I was offered the choice between a 4ct or a 3ct diamond of the same quality, I would take the 4ct... so I could sell/swap/trade it and buy some amazing coloured stones.
9.gif

I also think diamonds over 2cts start to look fake if your fingers are tiny.

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
Go for the 3.3G stone or a 3.3F (if you can). J stones show color/tint. Besides, from your post it appears you already have your answer since your GF told you she prefers quality!

P.S. I don't know any women that would pick a 2.5G (smaller stone) over a 3.3G...that is just silly!

Higher colour and clarity does not always a quality stone make
2.gif

Personally my fingers can rock 4cts but not everyones can, can you get her to try on some sizes?

surfgirl

Ideal_Rock
P.S. I don''t know any women that would pick a 2.5G (smaller stone) over a 3.3G...that is just silly!
Really? If you look at the poll you will see that well over half the respondents are choosing the smaller stone with higher color grade. Assuming there was a 2.5 option, there are many ladies who''d prefer that size.

sna77

Brilliant_Rock

My gf is very petite (size 4.5 finger, like 95 lbs, etc.). I have received mixed opinions as to whether a stone should be in proportion to your hand/body or whether you should just wear whatever you feel comfortable in. We live in Manhattan, NYC so there are clearly wealthy people all around although no one in our immediate circle is married yet. But she does comment on the size of the ''rocks'' that her co-workers have or other people we see casually. I did ask her once if she would rather have size or quality and she always says quality.
My FI is super petit also... And we are from Manhattan also... She has a 3.5 finger is weighs about 88 lbs... A 2.5 ct rock looks HUGE on her. And I went with an E btw... I can see color in a J... Large rings that show color look silly IMHO... I think color is the first thing people notice when afar... My dental cleaning lady had a 3ct + yellow ring on today... Probably a J... I remmeber thinking that was odd someone would buy a large yellow stone...

azbuyer

Shiny_Rock
Date: 7/2/2008 7:54:17 PM
Author: sna77

My FI is super petit also... And we are from Manhattan also... She has a 3.5 finger is weighs about 88 lbs... A 2.5 ct rock looks HUGE on her. And I went with an E btw... I can see color in a J... Large rings that show color look silly IMHO... I think color is the first thing people notice when afar... My dental cleaning lady had a 3ct + yellow ring on today... Probably a J... I remmeber thinking that was odd someone would buy a large yellow stone...

wow...i definitely dont want people to think its yellow or fake!! that would be the worst. and judging by the poll, it does seem like quality is a factor and 3ct on her size would be ok (i know there are a handful of ladies here who think bigger=better).

This web site is amazing and thanks to everyone for your honest replies and opinions. this is a VERY big decision and expensive which is why I have toiled over it so much.

and thanks to everyone for the congratulations. i am REALLY looking forward to being engaged to her - i just want this ring part to be over asap!

fieryred33143

Ideal_Rock
I think she''s going to just be thrilled that the man she adores with all of her heart is asking her to marry him...regardless of what you get her. You both sound like an amazing couple with a lot of love.
30.gif

That being said, you know your future wife better than anyone here so you should know whether she would like it or not.

As far as your question goes, I would chose a G over J any day. That''s my personal preference.

Are you positive she''s a 4.5 at 95lbs? I would think she would be a 3. Either way, I am one of the ladies that believes in too big. Not knowing anything about diamonds, if I saw that size of a diamond (even the 3 carat) on a tiny little finger I would think it was fake. Now that I am learning more and more about diamonds, I can at least tell the difference between something fake and a real diamond. Chances are, the majority of the people that she will run into will know absolutely nothing about diamonds except size. I guess it all comes down to preferences. When we were choosing my diamond (we have no where near the budget you or some others have), quality was the most important. I have a few coworkers that opted out of quality in order to have size...I can''t wait until my tiny little diamond out sparkles all of theirs (shhhhh don''t tell anyone I said that
2.gif
)

And I agree with Surfgirl, if there was a 2.5 option, I would have went with that.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

I would choose a 4 ct JVS2 in a antique cushion or OEC; but the higher color in a (modern) RB. Strictly speaking, my preference in a RB would be a 2ct D IF.

cheers--Sharon

2Artists

Brilliant_Rock
It really depends on what she likes. I have seen similarly small handed women as your intended rock huge and tiny stones- all lovely and fitting and appropriate for the wearer. I think it is sweet that you are putting all this time in.

Female half 2Artists

Bravo my good man!

36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

sna77

Brilliant_Rock
I believe non-RB cuts show more color, right?

BTW, what is the budget for this? Have you a setting picked out, etc?

butterfly 17

Ideal_Rock
I would definitely pick the 3.3 G VS2. Those are actually my dream stats. Ideally, I would be happy with a 2.5 G VS2.

G VS is definitely my sweet spot. no hint of color, but not super blinding white (which is not bad either, but I am tan, so D/E looks funny on me, fake actually, although if someone threw me a D, I would take it, heck, any diamond I would take!
31.gif
), and VS clarity is freat, you don''t have to worry about eyecleanness.

The perfect combination!!!

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
are we talking about RB? didn''t say on the poll
33.gif

LGK

Ideal_Rock
If it's an antique style faceted cushion, I'd prefer the J color to the G, regardless of size. Also 4 carats is, IMHO, not too big in a fancy shape like a cushion.

So much of this is personal choice! Do you have any idea what your girl prefers? BTW, few people are going to see any color in a well-cut, clean and beautiful J, even in a larger size. See, it will first of all be in a setting, and face up, and not right next to a whiter stone to compare with, and it will be viewed by people on her hand and in motion, so they're not going to be scrutinizing it. SHE might be someone who would notice and/or care about even a hint of color, in which case, the G would be the way to go. Some people hate the tiniest hint of color, others actually like it (me, for example). I'd think, though, if she has a really strong opinion on the subjet you'd have heard about it! Oh, also- if these are the modern crushed ice type cushions, the whiter color might be a better choice. Not sure if you've mentioned what type of cushion these two are.

pixley

Brilliant_Rock
Let''s see some pictures!
41.gif

Personally, I prefer colorless diamonds and I don''t live in a place where big stones are the norm so I''d go with the 3.3G, but I would get over the color issue pretty quickly for a juicy antique style cushion.

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/2/2008 4:07:23 PM
Author: gwendolyn

P.S. I don''t know any women that would pick a 2.5G (smaller stone) over a 3.3G...that is just silly!

Uh, no it isn''t. Seriously, not EVERYone wants the biggest stone possible.
40.gif

ditto! I would go with a 2.5 over a 3.3.

azbuyer

Shiny_Rock
Date: 7/2/2008 11:37:31 PM
Author: LittleGreyKitten
If it''s an antique style faceted cushion, I''d prefer the J color to the G, regardless of size. Also 4 carats is, IMHO, not too big in a fancy shape like a cushion.

So much of this is personal choice! Do you have any idea what your girl prefers? BTW, few people are going to see any color in a well-cut, clean and beautiful J, even in a larger size. See, it will first of all be in a setting, and face up, and not right next to a whiter stone to compare with, and it will be viewed by people on her hand and in motion, so they''re not going to be scrutinizing it. SHE might be someone who would notice and/or care about even a hint of color, in which case, the G would be the way to go. Some people hate the tiniest hint of color, others actually like it (me, for example). I''d think, though, if she has a really strong opinion on the subjet you''d have heard about it! Oh, also- if these are the modern crushed ice type cushions, the whiter color might be a better choice. Not sure if you''ve mentioned what type of cushion these two are.

I have been looking at some modern style, 8-star pavillion cushions. Not sure what would make it antique style. Relatively small table. Not crushed ice. I spoke to another jeweler who said he usually doesnt go below I for cushions, especially over 2.5ct, since they may show color. Then again, he looks at diamonds all day long and can probably tell the difference right off the bat.

My gf always comments when a girl''s ring is big but doesnt sparkle. so above all i think it has to be a great cut. but the higher colors are typically brighter. In terms of size she does always say she likes the big rocks but i think she does so jokingly. I wouldnt want to get her a stone that is big but didnt really impress in terms of shine and sparkle. So given that and the fact that a 3+ stone will look big on her hand anyway, I am leaning toward the 3+ ct stones.

The diamond district here in NYC is also on vacation for this week and next week whch is VERY frustrating so my search has been on hold. But I will post pics as soon as I can. I just havent seen anything new in a while.

As for setting, I am copying the micropave harry winston setting but makig it very delicate (1.8mm band) and small rounds for the halo. I just think a delicate looking ring with a nice 3ct stone would look amazing. Plus the halo will add some size at the top but I am trying to not make it like i''m intentionally trying to make the stone look bigger which is why I am adamant about making the halo as delicate and as micro-pave as possible.

Thanks for all the replies -I hope everyone has a great holiday weekend!

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/3/2008 7:56:38 AM

Date: 7/2/2008 11:37:31 PM
Author: LittleGreyKitten
If it''s an antique style faceted cushion, I''d prefer the J color to the G, regardless of size. Also 4 carats is, IMHO, not too big in a fancy shape like a cushion.

So much of this is personal choice! Do you have any idea what your girl prefers? BTW, few people are going to see any color in a well-cut, clean and beautiful J, even in a larger size. See, it will first of all be in a setting, and face up, and not right next to a whiter stone to compare with, and it will be viewed by people on her hand and in motion, so they''re not going to be scrutinizing it. SHE might be someone who would notice and/or care about even a hint of color, in which case, the G would be the way to go. Some people hate the tiniest hint of color, others actually like it (me, for example). I''d think, though, if she has a really strong opinion on the subjet you''d have heard about it! Oh, also- if these are the modern crushed ice type cushions, the whiter color might be a better choice. Not sure if you''ve mentioned what type of cushion these two are.

I have been looking at some modern style, 8-star pavillion cushions. Not sure what would make it antique style. Relatively small table. Not crushed ice. I spoke to another jeweler who said he usually doesnt go below I for cushions, especially over 2.5ct, since they may show color. Then again, he looks at diamonds all day long and can probably tell the difference right off the bat.

My gf always comments when a girl''s ring is big but doesnt sparkle. so above all i think it has to be a great cut. but the higher colors are typically brighter. In terms of size she does always say she likes the big rocks but i think she does so jokingly. I wouldnt want to get her a stone that is big but didnt really impress in terms of shine and sparkle. So given that and the fact that a 3+ stone will look big on her hand anyway, I am leaning toward the 3+ ct stones.

The diamond district here in NYC is also on vacation for this week and next week whch is VERY frustrating so my search has been on hold. But I will post pics as soon as I can. I just havent seen anything new in a while.

As for setting, I am copying the micropave harry winston setting but makig it very delicate (1.8mm band) and small rounds for the halo. I just think a delicate looking ring with a nice 3ct stone would look amazing. Plus the halo will add some size at the top but I am trying to not make it like i''m intentionally trying to make the stone look bigger which is why I am adamant about making the halo as delicate and as micro-pave as possible.

Thanks for all the replies -I hope everyone has a great holiday weekend!

Given this information, I would definitely err on the side of the 3.3 G VS2.

Best of luck to you!

LGK

Ideal_Rock
If you''re halo-ing, I''d lean towards the 3.30ct G. First, you might see a contrast between a J color and the halo melee, making the stone look more colored than it otherwise would.

Also, even extremely delicate, it will add more size to a huge stone. However, see CrookedRock''s thread in SMTR for a haloed 4ct J color cushion... I think it looks delicate and lovely, very large but so beautiful, and super white.

I am no cushion expert but I *think* you''re looking at the antique-ish cut cushions... IIRC, the grading report says Cushion Brilliant as the cut for the antique style variety. Could be wrong! (If you check out CR''s thread for her 4ct cushion w/ halo, hers is the antique style cut.)

Whichever you pick, I have no doubt she''ll be thrilled. Oh, and if you haven''t already, you might ask the seller which is the best performer- sometimes there might be one that is sparklier though the numbers don''t really tell you. I''d go for sparkliest over anything else!

wse

Rough_Rock
hey azbuyer... (my fellow manhattanite)

your fiance and mine have the same finger size and im buying her a stone about the same size as the one you purchased for yours... would you happen to have pictures of it on her finger?

i dont want to show it to my fiance, but i want it to be proportional to her finger lol

thanks!

sna77

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/3/2008 3:34:46 PM
Author: wse
hey azbuyer...

your fiance and mine have the same finger size and im buying her a stone about the same size as the one you purchased for yours... would you happen to have pictures of it on her finger?

i dont want to show it to my fiance, but i want it to be proportional to her finger lol

thanks!

er, have you read the thead? he hasn''t bought squat yet...

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
I''m of the mind that there is such a thing as too big. Even the 3 would be way too big for me to feel comfortable wearing, and I have a size 7 finger, not a 4.5! I think 1.5-2 is a really nice sweet spot (though I''m very happy with my 1ct princess!). I''d go with something like a well-cut 1.5-2, G-H, VS2-SI1 and put the money you save toward the wedding or honeymoon.

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
I agree with Surfgirl and Pandora, for a cushion 2.5 would be as big as I would be comfortable, and my sweet spot for color is F-G range, for a round, I actually would not be comfortable with anything over 1.5 ct and would probably go much smaller than that and get a higher quality stone. But if we all wanted the same thing, that would be bad...because prices would be even higher than they are.

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 7/1/2008 4:12:13 PM
Author:buyer
Assume the cut and other specs are identical. So you have to pick having a much bigger rock vs a lighter color.
Last year I had a 2ct D color in my office and a 3 ct J. Both were Crafted by Infinity AGS 0 cut diamonds.

Without telling anyone which was which I showed them to many people. 95% of the women nearly instantly chose the 3ct J. Many of them were women who had told me in conversations that they would never own anything lower than an H, and that only if they could not afford a better diamond.

Men were more cagey. They would try to weasel out of me what the stone was, and would look at it from the side in spite of my admonition to only look from the top and choose a stone. Once they had determined that there was color in the one stone, then they would tell me that they would buy the smaller stone because of the color, and would not give me an answer about what about if you only saw it from the top.

I really believe that when looking at two Ideal cut diamonds only from the top that well over 90% of the women would choose for size, no matter what they might say in a poll when they KNOW they are looking at two stones with one clearly "superior" to the other on paper.

The dazzle is in the razzle, the proof in the pudding and the seeing is the believing to mix thoroughly the metaphors...

I will not vote in the poll, but this is what I know from practical experience.

Wink

purrfectpear

Ideal_Rock
You are a WISE man Wink.

I wonder how many of the ladies who claim they wouldn''t be "comfortable" with a diamond above 2 or 2.5 would actually tell the FI or hubby to return that horrid 3.5 diamond
9.gif

Not this lady, that''s for SURE
36.gif

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
A NO BRAINER FOR ME!
BIGGER, BABEEEEEEEEEE, DEFINITELY BIGGER!!!!
31.gif
30.gif
36.gif

Absolutely beyond a shadow of a doubt. The bigger one. Oh, what I wouldn''t give for a 4 carater!!! I''m *swooning* just thinking about it!!!

BTW, I love what Wink said:
The dazzle is in the razzle, the proof in the pudding and the seeing is the believing to mix thoroughly the metaphors...
Haha, that oughtta be someone''s tag line!!!

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/3/2008 8:00:44 PM
Author: purrfectpear
You are a WISE man Wink.

I wonder how many of the ladies who claim they wouldn''t be ''comfortable'' with a diamond above 2 or 2.5 would actually tell the FI or hubby to return that horrid 3.5 diamond
9.gif

Not this lady, that''s for SURE
36.gif
Just like you grow into a home that you thought was maybe too big for you at one point . . .

I would certainly NEVER turn either down, but if I had a choice, I''d go with the halo''d 3.3 over a halo''d 4 ct. Of course, I''d happily grow into both either way.
30.gif

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
In a modern cushionyou are going to halo? Color wins for me assuming that the G isn't overly deep and has good spread. If it doesn't have good spread, I'd keep hunting. If this were a round, my answer would be the J-- assuming that I wanted a larger stone. And if the stones were under 2 carats my answer might be different as well-- larger stones show more color. If it's an antique cushion... the J. I like warmth and would get a setting to set match it's vintage/antique vibe.

Also if I were getting a three stone or five stone and the cushion was a square... I'd be more likely to go with the larger stone. But since you are putting it into a halo it's going to look larger anyway... so I'd go for the higher color.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results