shape
carat
color
clarity

What would you choose? 4ct J/VS2 or 3.3ct G/VS2??

What would you pick? A 4ct J/VS2 or a 3ct G/VS2 -- all other specs the same

• 4 carat J / VS2

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

alexandrite_lover

Rough_Rock
Of course this happens to me when I write too quickly...in the third paragraph, "planking" was supposed to be "flanking."

joe678

Rough_Rock
Personally I would go for the 4ct any day as long as its a great cut. As a fellow NYC guy about to purchase a cushion I was shown several in the G-J range (2.11 classic), all extremely well cut, and could barely tell any difference even when laid out loosely in a row. The fire and brilliance produced from a well cut cushion will easily be the focus.

Once it is set, esp if you want a halo like me, she''d be hard pressed to see any difference (other than the size of course). Besides, its not like she will be walking around with a G or E on next finger to compare...

Mind you my gf definitely the subtle type but I know she will love it... to me its just a matter of indulgence. Of course you dont need 4 cts, but then again, you dont need one at all... Again just personal opinion.

MMT

Ideal_Rock
I would have no problem going with a J, but I do think 4ct would be too big for me.
26.gif
I wear a size 4 1/2 and that sounds huge.

rcrosier

Shiny_Rock
Yeah, a big stone like that would be risky in a J color, unless the cut was absolutely perfect and didn''t "hold" the body color.

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock

Not saying any such thing at all. I am just saying that many will prefer the larger stone, especially if they do not know what the color and clarity are to confuse them with the paper learning that they have. There was clearly a difference between the J and the D in the example that I gave, but it was very subtle and the ladies largely preferred the larger diamond. I can not say what they would have preferred in a cushion, or between a 4 and 4 ct, just what I observed in the 2 and 3ct between two ideal cut rounds, both with AGS 0 cut grades and both with wonderful Hearts and Arrows images.

I am trying to make an observation, not set new rules. I will say that the proper way to determine what your eyes like is to look at the gems, not at the paper. The paper is nice for confirming value, but the beauty is in the gem!

Wink
Wink Jones
GG
Winfield''s

Just to put my 0.02c into this discussion, I agree with Wink in that many would actually - shock horror- decide to take an ideal cut J over a comparable D - and in my own case, I don''t even mean to gain 2cts as a trade off or anything.

Some people, me included, just prefer the extra warmth and personality that comes with a "lower" coloured stone. I''m not a fan of the real "icey white" thing. Just my taste, pls no offence to anyone.
Having just received my 1.25 K amazing cut H&A from GOG, I would challenge anyone to pick it as a K - it looks extremely white in all lighting conditions. But still has all this rainbow of dancing colours at any time (sorry, can you tell I like this diamond?, lol).

Wink, perhaps what you''re little experiment could be reflecting is not just womens'' propensity for size, but the "personality" and colour that can come with a top cut J/K stone..? Perhaps this is something that speaks to people?

Of course, it is all personal preference and depends on hand size, lifestyle etc. I know I could never wear anything more than about 2.5, just for practicality reasons and hand size.

So - the short version - the 3.3 G gets my vote for practical reasons - but make it a J and I could be even happier!
3.gif
2.gif

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can't believe I am going to say this, my being a size-wh**e and all, LOL!! But unless the stone is very well cut and faces up really white, I would go for the 3.3ct G VS2 stone. I am quite colour-sensitive (but others may not be as sensitive).

Hey, here's a happy alternative: how about a 3.7-3.8ct H VS2? or even I VS if it has medium blue fluor, as the blue fluor should have a positve effect on the colour (it should not have any negative effect - which I believe is a very rare occurence).

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results