shape
carat
color
clarity

What would you choose? 4ct J/VS2 or 3.3ct G/VS2??

What would you pick? A 4ct J/VS2 or a 3ct G/VS2 -- all other specs the same

• 4 carat J / VS2

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

sna77

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/3/2008 7:07:14 PM
Author: Wink

Last year I had a 2ct D color in my office and a 3 ct J. Both were Crafted by Infinity AGS 0 cut diamonds.

Without telling anyone which was which I showed them to many people. 95% of the women nearly instantly chose the 3ct J. Many of them were women who had told me in conversations that they would never own anything lower than an H, and that only if they could not afford a better diamond.

Men were more cagey. They would try to weasel out of me what the stone was, and would look at it from the side in spite of my admonition to only look from the top and choose a stone. Once they had determined that there was color in the one stone, then they would tell me that they would buy the smaller stone because of the color, and would not give me an answer about what about if you only saw it from the top.

I really believe that when looking at two Ideal cut diamonds only from the top that well over 90% of the women would choose for size, no matter what they might say in a poll when they KNOW they are looking at two stones with one clearly ''superior'' to the other on paper.

The dazzle is in the razzle, the proof in the pudding and the seeing is the believing to mix thoroughly the metaphors...

I will not vote in the poll, but this is what I know from practical experience.

Wink

Wink,
I tend to agree with you that most women want bigger all the time... Especially ones that have done little research and often just go into stores and look at rings... Before FI and I were engaged, her and her best friend used to joke around bout how they were getting matching 4ct rings... Used to drive me nuts... One day I was like "You realize you want an $80k ring right? Just so you two know, neither of you are getting them." ;-)

Also, what was the lighting like in your office? I don''t know... I just feel if someone could wear a 2ct D and an 3ct J one on each hand and walk around with them both for a day, they''d choose the color for a slightly smaller stone--especailly if they have a setting where they see the cutlet of the stone... For me, seeing color has always been a perception of "cheaper..." The observation certainly is not always true, as there are many wonderful stones with color, but it has been something that I feel the uninfromed person often thinks...

gwendolyn

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/1/2008 4:12:13 PM

Author:buyer

Assume the cut and other specs are identical. So you have to pick having a much bigger rock vs a lighter color.

Last year I had a 2ct D color in my office and a 3 ct J. Both were Crafted by Infinity AGS 0 cut diamonds.

Without telling anyone which was which I showed them to many people. 95% of the women nearly instantly chose the 3ct J. Many of them were women who had told me in conversations that they would never own anything lower than an H, and that only if they could not afford a better diamond.

Men were more cagey. They would try to weasel out of me what the stone was, and would look at it from the side in spite of my admonition to only look from the top and choose a stone. Once they had determined that there was color in the one stone, then they would tell me that they would buy the smaller stone because of the color, and would not give me an answer about what about if you only saw it from the top.

I really believe that when looking at two Ideal cut diamonds only from the top that well over 90% of the women would choose for size, no matter what they might say in a poll when they KNOW they are looking at two stones with one clearly ''superior'' to the other on paper.

The dazzle is in the razzle, the proof in the pudding and the seeing is the believing to mix thoroughly the metaphors...

Wink
Surely this is influenced by the majority of consumers not knowing much about diamonds at all, though? Comparing the whole of diamond shoppers (many of whom think it''s all about carat, not cut) to the type of well-researched consumers found here on PS seems a bit like comparing apples and oranges, at least to me.

It also doesn''t take into account those of us who, at a certain point, draw the line budget-wise. Maybe I could rock out a 4 or 5 carat stone, but I would never bother trying it on because I can think of a thousand things I''d rather do with that money than spend it on a piece of jewelry. Additionally, if these customers were choosing as a curiosity or because it was a test and not because they were actually deciding to purchase either stone, it''s a bit like playing dress-up--it''s all just pretend and in fun, so maybe considerations about finances or the day-to-day implications of wearing a large stone or how it works with a certain setting style don''t get figured in as they would in real life? Just supposing, of course, and for all I know, maybe you *do* get lots of customers in who have the money to choose between a 2ct D and a 3ct J (I hope for your sake you do
2.gif
).

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
Wink,

With all do respect, I have to agree with what Gwen said and add another point. It is one thing to want a larger stone in a jewelry store, and another to wear one everyday. The only advise my mother gave me about an enagement ring was to not get caught up in the size thing (disclaimer: This is from someone who did not wear jewelry-it is her opinion and hers alone). She told me that all of her friends wanted the biggest stone they could get, and than their rings got in the way of their every day life. I mean in a perfect world where I had all the money I needed and could maybe have 2 rings would I want a large one? Sure, I love diamonds! But if I, like most people, were to only get one, it would need to be wearable. That means I need to be able to throw on rubber gloves, wash my hands 20 times a day, do basic procedures, deal with some non-cooperative people, go hunting for stuff in crammed places, and I am sure I could think of more. I wouldn't want something that I could only wear one day a week on my day off. Also, my style is classic, understated, and I try not to be flashy. So maybe I would be that 10% in you store? Maybe I am just the minority? But when I buy jewelry, I am thinking about a lot more than the size I like better on my hand.

If someone has the money, likes the style of a larger ring, and can make it work in their everyday life, I am happy for them. Beautiful rings come in all shapes and sizes. One of my favorite rings I have ever seen is Grace Kelley's. It looked classic, elegant, simple. I think I read it was 10cts.

Demelza

Ideal_Rock
One thing Wink's experiment doesn't take into account is that the person wearing the diamond often sees the side of the stone as much (if not more) than the top-down view. This, of course, depends in large part on the setting, but, in most traditional settings, the side view of the stone is at least partially exposed. Some people will see color from the side, some won't, some won't care even if they do, and some will. This really is such a personal decision.

For me, having a "mind-clean" stone trumps size any day. That said, a 3.3 ct cushion in a halo on a size 4 finger is plenty huge! I suppose, for me, it wouldn't feel like much of a sacrifice to go for the slightly smaller (but still huge) stone.

justjulia

Ideal_Rock
Lots of "rights" here.
I have noticed that I need to keep my I fancy shaped sides and underside clean to get the best look possible, but at the same time I am enamoured by the antique/vintage/what have you flavor of it. To me, a little color says "real."

azbuyer

Shiny_Rock
First off, thanks to all for the replies and suggestions this weekend. I am hoping that the diamond district stil isnt shut down this week so I can see some chocies and post pics.

Wink - very interesting anecdoctal poll of 90% of ladies picking the larger one. It doesnt help my decision (since I was leaning toward the 3ct one) but I wonder why knowing a stone is a lower color makes people pick the smaller one with higher color. I guess that''s where we get the term "mind-clean" from as there probably is some psychological reason. That and "ignorance is bliss" I guess.

In any event, I am going to have to try and drop hints or feel my gf out on this issue. Just not sure how. I know folks think surprise is overrated but I''d love to make it so she doesnt know something is imminent. She''s already suspicious when I sneak away to read posts on these sites which is part of the reason I havent been able to post in a few days. :)

Thanks again for the help.

azbuyer

Shiny_Rock
Date: 7/4/2008 6:32:54 AM
Author: Gypsy
In a modern cushionyou are going to halo? Color wins for me assuming that the G isn''t overly deep and has good spread. If it doesn''t have good spread, I''d keep hunting. If this were a round, my answer would be the J-- assuming that I wanted a larger stone. And if the stones were under 2 carats my answer might be different as well-- larger stones show more color. If it''s an antique cushion... the J. I like warmth and would get a setting to set match it''s vintage/antique vibe.

Also if I were getting a three stone or five stone and the cushion was a square... I''d be more likely to go with the larger stone. But since you are putting it into a halo it''s going to look larger anyway... so I''d go for the higher color.

what do you mean by good spread? I have been trying to find stones in the 3ct range that face up pretty big and I found one that faces up rather huge but the depth was a bit below 60% and I think thats a no-no from what I have read. I could tell it wasnt as sparkly and the deeper ones. I have seen some 3 ct stones that face up in the 75mm surface area range (multiple length x width) and some that are really deep and go below 70. I dont think its possible to get much bigger without going up into the 4ct range or giving up some brilliance with a really shallow stone. Worst thing I could do is find a 4ct stone that faces up like a 3. that would sorta defeat the purpose.

azbuyer

Shiny_Rock
Date: 7/4/2008 7:18:51 AM
Author: sna77
BTW, have you seen crookedrock''s ring? She has a gorgeous 4ct cushion cut J... similar to what you are looking at...

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/at-last-crookedrocks-ring.86381/

here''s a good picture of the color of her J also...

crs4.JPG

what color is the one next to it? Is that a G? If so it would be a good comparison. Its a beauty (and enormous) and I dont think the difference is that noticeable. Which has been my biggest dilemma. Imagine these 2 being the exact same price (not sure if one on the right is a 3). I''m sure my gf would rather have the bigger one.

CrookedRock

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks sna for pointing out my ring. Just wanted to say that the ring next to mine is Scarlet''s. If I recall correctly it is a 1.66 F.
I have never seen it in person but my FI has, and said it was gorgeous!
In regards to mine being a J. Both Mark and an independent appraiser I went to here said that my stone was not a true J. It is really more in the H/I range. I have never looked at it and thought it looked yellow.
I will say though that a 4ct ring is not a ring that can always be worn. there are many days where I do not wear it. Honestly I wear it on my necklace about half the time. A 3ct might be more manageable... just my .02c

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 7/4/2008 7:26:28 AM

Wink

Wink,

I tend to agree with you that most women want bigger all the time... Especially ones that have done little research and often just go into stores and look at rings... Before FI and I were engaged, her and her best friend used to joke around bout how they were getting matching 4ct rings... Used to drive me nuts... One day I was like ''You realize you want an $80k ring right? Just so you two know, neither of you are getting them.'' ;-)

Also, what was the lighting like in your office? I don''t know... I just feel if someone could wear a 2ct D and an 3ct J one on each hand and walk around with them both for a day, they''d choose the color for a slightly smaller stone--especailly if they have a setting where they see the cutlet of the stone... For me, seeing color has always been a perception of ''cheaper...'' The observation certainly is not always true, as there are many wonderful stones with color, but it has been something that I feel the uninfromed person often thinks...

The lighting in my office is fluorescent lighting with four spots that I turn on and off to show the affect that lighting has on diamonds. Opposite to how you feel, I think if people could walk around with the two stones on their hands for a day that the vast majority would take the larger stone, especially if both were very well to super ideal cut! Cutting makes all the difference as a properly cut diamond shows much less color from the top than a poorly cut diamond does. Thus if you are wearing an ideal cut gem, very few people, informed or not, are going to realize that it has color until you get into very low color ranges. (This obviously is not intended to apply to fancy color stones.)

Wink

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 7/4/2008 7:41:30 AM
Author: gwendolyn

Date: 7/1/2008 4:12:13 PM

Author:buyer

Assume the cut and other specs are identical. So you have to pick having a much bigger rock vs a lighter color.

Wink

Surely this is influenced by the majority of consumers not knowing much about diamonds at all, though? Comparing the whole of diamond shoppers (many of whom think it''s all about carat, not cut) to the type of well-researched consumers found here on PS seems a bit like comparing apples and oranges, at least to me.

It also doesn''t take into account those of us who, at a certain point, draw the line budget-wise. Maybe I could rock out a 4 or 5 carat stone, but I would never bother trying it on because I can think of a thousand things I''d rather do with that money than spend it on a piece of jewelry. Additionally, if these customers were choosing as a curiosity or because it was a test and not because they were actually deciding to purchase either stone, it''s a bit like playing dress-up--it''s all just pretend and in fun, so maybe considerations about finances or the day-to-day implications of wearing a large stone or how it works with a certain setting style don''t get figured in as they would in real life? Just supposing, of course, and for all I know, maybe you *do* get lots of customers in who have the money to choose between a 2ct D and a 3ct J (I hope for your sake you do
2.gif
).

Perhaps, but to them it was simply a question, which one do you like best. It was no contest, the overwhelming number of them liked the bigger stone. Please remember that these were both top of the line cuts and incredibly beautiful. Had we been talking about pricing the forty or so thousand dollars price difference would have also contributed to people choosing the larger stone. A couple of ladies did comment that they liked the bigger stone better but would have to settle for the smaller stone since they could not possibly afford the bigger stone. They were dumbfounded when I told them that the bigger stone was WAY less expensive than the smaller diamond.

Also please do not forget that this was not a right or wrong answer question, it was a which one do YOU like best question. When it comes to beauty and to beautiful things, there is no right or wrong answer for every one, it is a which one do YOU like best answer.

I had very proudly sold both of these stones and was only waiting to deliver them and that gave me the opportunity to show and ask, I was very surprised at the responses as I was expecting people to love the D colored diamond more as that is what is "supposed" to be the most beautiful according to the paper traders. It was a real eye opener to me that if I get out of the way an "allow" people to love what they love and quit trying to get them to love what I love that I can make a LOT more people happy!

Wink

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 7/4/2008 9:12:35 AM
Author: LtlFirecracker
Wink,

With all do respect, I have to agree with what Gwen said and add another point. It is one thing to want a larger stone in a jewelry store, and another to wear one everyday. The only advise my mother gave me about an enagement ring was to not get caught up in the size thing (disclaimer: This is from someone who did not wear jewelry-it is her opinion and hers alone). She told me that all of her friends wanted the biggest stone they could get, and than their rings got in the way of their every day life. I mean in a perfect world where I had all the money I needed and could maybe have 2 rings would I want a large one? Sure, I love diamonds! But if I, like most people, were to only get one, it would need to be wearable. That means I need to be able to throw on rubber gloves, wash my hands 20 times a day, do basic procedures, deal with some non-cooperative people, go hunting for stuff in crammed places, and I am sure I could think of more. I wouldn''t want something that I could only wear one day a week on my day off. Also, my style is classic, understated, and I try not to be flashy. So maybe I would be that 10% in you store? Maybe I am just the minority? But when I buy jewelry, I am thinking about a lot more than the size I like better on my hand.

If someone has the money, likes the style of a larger ring, and can make it work in their everyday life, I am happy for them. Beautiful rings come in all shapes and sizes. One of my favorite rings I have ever seen is Grace Kelley''s. It looked classic, elegant, simple. I think I read it was 10cts.

Agreed, neither of the two ladies receiving these rings were getting them as engagement rings and both of them have lives that do not require them to do the things that you are doing. Both are incredible ladies that have accomplished much during their lives and both were receiving them from loving husbands. They were both sales that made me happy at many levels.

Wink

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I *think* I''d personally prefer the 3 carat in a higher colour. But I know this is because I could never imagine owning a 2 carat, much less a 3 or 4 carat, so I think that if I were ever offered that size I''d think it was so large that I went for the mind clean higher colour. If I had to pick between a 1 carat G or a 1.5 carat J I''d go for the 1.5 carat though. Even though bigger is better in my mind I seem to reach a point where it''s so big that colour starts to kick in.

Then again, this is all hypothetical to me so who knows what I''d really do if they were both sat in front of me.

kennedy

Shiny_Rock
Date: 7/7/2008 9:39:44 AM

Wink

Wink,

I tend to agree with you that most women want bigger all the time... Especially ones that have done little research and often just go into stores and look at rings... Before FI and I were engaged, her and her best friend used to joke around bout how they were getting matching 4ct rings... Used to drive me nuts... One day I was like ''You realize you want an $80k ring right? Just so you two know, neither of you are getting them.'' ;-)

Also, what was the lighting like in your office? I don''t know... I just feel if someone could wear a 2ct D and an 3ct J one on each hand and walk around with them both for a day, they''d choose the color for a slightly smaller stone--especailly if they have a setting where they see the cutlet of the stone... For me, seeing color has always been a perception of ''cheaper...'' The observation certainly is not always true, as there are many wonderful stones with color, but it has been something that I feel the uninfromed person often thinks...

The lighting in my office is fluorescent lighting with four spots that I turn on and off to show the affect that lighting has on diamonds. Opposite to how you feel, I think if people could walk around with the two stones on their hands for a day that the vast majority would take the larger stone, especially if both were very well to super ideal cut! Cutting makes all the difference as a properly cut diamond shows much less color from the top than a poorly cut diamond does. Thus if you are wearing an ideal cut gem, very few people, informed or not, are going to realize that it has color until you get into very low color ranges. (This obviously is not intended to apply to fancy color stones.)

Wink

Your experiment concerns a 2 ct and 3 ct ideal cut round. In this instance, we''re talking about a 3 ct and 4 ct cushion cut. Are you saying that a 4 ct J color cushion won''t be any less white than a G in the face up position? What about from the side? I see my stone from the side as much as I see it from the top. I realize judging color on a computer screen isn''t especially accurate, but I can easily see the color difference in the two stones in the picture above. They''re both stunning stones to be sure and I would be happy to own either one, but they don''t appear to be the same color to me.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If this ring was for me
9.gif
I would choose the 3 carat in G color.

Of course there is no right or wrong answer as beauty is in the eye of the beholder and honestly I am sure whatever you choose will be absolutely beautiful!

Best of luck!
Missy

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 7/7/2008 10:14:19 AM
Author: kennedy
Date: 7/7/2008 9:39:44 AM

Wink

Wink,

Wink

Your experiment concerns a 2 ct and 3 ct ideal cut round. In this instance, we''re talking about a 3 ct and 4 ct cushion cut. Are you saying that a 4 ct J color cushion won''t be any less white than a G in the face up position? What about from the side? I see my stone from the side as much as I see it from the top. I realize judging color on a computer screen isn''t especially accurate, but I can easily see the color difference in the two stones in the picture above. They''re both stunning stones to be sure and I would be happy to own either one, but they don''t appear to be the same color to me.

Not saying any such thing at all. I am just saying that many will prefer the larger stone, especially if they do not know what the color and clarity are to confuse them with the paper learning that they have. There was clearly a difference between the J and the D in the example that I gave, but it was very subtle and the ladies largely preferred the larger diamond. I can not say what they would have preferred in a cushion, or between a 4 and 4 ct, just what I observed in the 2 and 3ct between two ideal cut rounds, both with AGS 0 cut grades and both with wonderful Hearts and Arrows images.

I am trying to make an observation, not set new rules. I will say that the proper way to determine what your eyes like is to look at the gems, not at the paper. The paper is nice for confirming value, but the beauty is in the gem!

Wink

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
For me, it's a no brainer....I'd take the G hands down...I wouldn't go past H in a round and G in other shapes...but that's just me....In a round, I wouldn't go over 3 ct regardless of color bc I think rounds tend to look a little gaudy over 3 cts (no offense to anyone, just my taste)...Best of luck!

RxTechRN2b

Brilliant_Rock
I wouldn''t choose either of those. To me, anything over 1.5 carats becomes less refined. For the money you''d spend on the sizes you''re asking about, I''d drop down in carat weight and go up in color/clarity/cut. Then I''d put it in a simple low-set ring of high-end quality. A square cushion of 1.5 carats would look very classy in a platinum solitaire setting with delicate double claw prongs curving gracefully around the four corners, on a slender band with 1-pointer round diamonds set partway down the shank. But if she''s a size girl, then just get the biggest thing you can find for your money. She''s the one that will be wearing it, and what she wants is the most important opinion you should consider.

azbuyer

Shiny_Rock
Date: 7/7/2008 8:35:42 AM
Author: CrookedRock
Thanks sna for pointing out my ring. Just wanted to say that the ring next to mine is Scarlet''s. If I recall correctly it is a 1.66 F.
I have never seen it in person but my FI has, and said it was gorgeous!
In regards to mine being a J. Both Mark and an independent appraiser I went to here said that my stone was not a true J. It is really more in the H/I range. I have never looked at it and thought it looked yellow.
I will say though that a 4ct ring is not a ring that can always be worn. there are many days where I do not wear it. Honestly I wear it on my necklace about half the time. A 3ct might be more manageable... just my .02c
These are all very important points. Maybe a 4ct woudl be overwhelming on some days but more importantly is the type of G or J being looked at. A bad G and a High J can almost be identical. I should be so lucky to find a J that looks like a H and yet get the better bang for my buck. But I doubt I will find one like that. Maybe I will split the difference and get a 3.5ct H or I so long as it faces up larger. I have seen some 3.3''s and 3.5''s that have much lower face up values than some of the 3''s out there. There is no uniform 3.3 G and 4 J so I guess it will ust have to be what looks the best within budget and what allows me to sleep at night. My biggest fear is disappointing my gf and I know it sounds ridiculous that a 3ct ring could possibly disappoint but unfortunately it seems to be standard among our fellow NYC friends and I am just trying to get the best that I can without stretching the budget.

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/3/2008 8:00:44 PM
Author: purrfectpear
You are a WISE man Wink.

I wonder how many of the ladies who claim they wouldn''t be ''comfortable'' with a diamond above 2 or 2.5 would actually tell the FI or hubby to return that horrid 3.5 diamond
9.gif

Not this lady, that''s for SURE
36.gif
Ooo, this is definitely me. I''d take back the 3.5 for something 2 carats or smaller and invest the difference :) In fact, this is what we did do with my e-ring. He wanted a 2.5 carat, I wanted 1 carat, we compromised and invested the difference.

I see absolutely nothing wrong with anybody wanting a large stone and 3.3 and 4 carats both sound ginormous to me, though I''d definitely take the G over the J. I know there are many discussioins about how white Js can be (though I''ve never a J without warmth), but they are graded a J for a reason. There is nothing wrong with a J, but it''s not colorless.

Indira-London

Shiny_Rock
Date: 7/4/2008 7:18:51 AM
BTW, have you seen crookedrock's ring? She has a gorgeous 4ct cushion cut J... similar to what you are looking at...

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/at-last-crookedrocks-ring.86381/

here's a good picture of the color of her J also...

crs4.JPG
What an intersting dilemma - I agree with everyone so far that it is a personal choice and my experience is similar to Wink's in that most (though not all) women when presented with a choice in person have tended to pick out the larger diamond whereas men tend to pick the technically superior diamond irrespective of how it looks. Every now and them (ca. 0.1% of the time) I get someone who would choose a smaller diamond usually because she prefers quality over size or is uncomforatble showing off too much size.

One thing that applies to cushion in particular is that unlike a well-cut round brilliant diamond (which are all round) each cushion diamond is UNIQUE in shape varying from squarish with soft corners to oblong. In fact the picture above already posted shows this variation.

Hence, its most important to SEE the diamonds in person and decide which diamond appeals to you in person.
Whilst squarish cushions tend to be more popular than very oblong shapes, it is a question of personal preference - it seems to me that whenever I have a square cushion I get clients who want oblong and vice versa
1.gif

In terms of size: a 3-4 carat cushion does not usually LOOK as big as a 3-4 carat round brilliant for instance as cushion is a deeper cut. In my personal opinion cushion diamonds look best in larger carat weights from 2+ carat upwards.

I will post some pictures of a 10+ carat I colour cushion (squarish) vs 2.01 G VVS2 cushion (perfect square) vs 1.5 carat E SI2 cushion (oblong) if that is allowed to help illustrate these points further

Indira-London

Shiny_Rock
Here is the 10+ carat I colour cushion next to a pencil to give some idea of relative size

10+ carat cushion.png

Indira-London

Shiny_Rock
Here is a 2.01 carat G VVS2 it was a perfect square x.ymm by x.ymm (as this was sold a few years ago, I don't recall the exact dimensions)

cushion98765.JPG

Indira-London

Shiny_Rock
Here is a 1.5 carat E SI2 rectangular cushion - I do not have photos from when this was loose. I did not have these three at the same time so cannot show them in comparison next to each other. Nevertheless I hope this helps to illustrate how shape varies enormously for cushion diamonds

Design 40 cushion.jpg

RxTechRN2b

Brilliant_Rock
I didn''t read past the first couple of posts in this thread before responding, but I just went back and looked over all 3 pages and found the various responses quite interesting.

While it is obvious that most women desire the biggest diamond they can get, some women really would choose a more understated look. Everyone has their own style and I love seeing photos of all the rings and jewelry on PS! The photo in this thread is very interesting, because those rings belong to two different women (as far as I can tell) and they show the two distinct styles being discussed in this thread. One is the classic understated style which I described in my previous post and at least one other person in this thread finds most impressive. The other ring is in the category of "SIZE is the way to go, baby!!!" and which many many women crave with all their being.

Which one is better? Neither! We don''t even need to debate it because it will get us nowhere. Whenever someone asks for an opinion like this, there will not be a unanimous agreement (unless one diamond was in the category of dried spit!). If you want big you will attract lots of attention and comments along the lines of "WOW my jaw is hanging on the floor YOU HAVE A HUMONGOUS RING!!" But the important thing is that each person should wear what SHE likes best and not compare to Joe Schmoe down the street. So often I see a comment about comparing and getting something bigger/better than sisters or co-workers or friends or neighbors. To that sentimentality I say NO NO NO! There''s always going to be someone who has something nicer, so where does the insanity end?

A piece of jewelry is a work of art and should be viewed in many different contexts. Consider the quality of materials and go for the finest you can afford. Think about the style or look you are going for and pick the appropriate shape, cut, setting, etc. Then think about where that work of art will be displayed (finger, wrist, ear, etc) and scale according to the most pleasing proportions for that individual''s body part and whole body size. Finally, choose a jeweler or artisan of excellent workmanship. In this way you will acquire the best piece of jewelry for YOU.

azbuyer

Shiny_Rock
Date: 7/7/2008 11:32:59 AM
Author: RxTechRN2b
I didn''t read past the first couple of posts in this thread before responding, but I just went back and looked over all 3 pages and found the various responses quite interesting.

While it is obvious that most women desire the biggest diamond they can get, some women really would choose a more understated look. Everyone has their own style and I love seeing photos of all the rings and jewelry on PS! The photo in this thread is very interesting, because those rings belong to two different women (as far as I can tell) and they show the two distinct styles being discussed in this thread. One is the classic understated style which I described in my previous post and at least one other person in this thread finds most impressive. The other ring is in the category of ''SIZE is the way to go, baby!!!'' and which many many women crave with all their being.

Which one is better? Neither! We don''t even need to debate it because it will get us nowhere. Whenever someone asks for an opinion like this, there will not be a unanimous agreement (unless one diamond was in the category of dried spit!). If you want big you will attract lots of attention and comments along the lines of ''WOW my jaw is hanging on the floor YOU HAVE A HUMONGOUS RING!!'' But the important thing is that each person should wear what SHE likes best and not compare to Joe Schmoe down the street. So often I see a comment about comparing and getting something bigger/better than sisters or co-workers or friends or neighbors. To that sentimentality I say NO NO NO! There''s always going to be someone who has something nicer, so where does the insanity end?

A piece of jewelry is a work of art and should be viewed in many different contexts. Consider the quality of materials and go for the finest you can afford. Think about the style or look you are going for and pick the appropriate shape, cut, setting, etc. Then think about where that work of art will be displayed (finger, wrist, ear, etc) and scale according to the most pleasing proportions for that individual''s body part and whole body size. Finally, choose a jeweler or artisan of excellent workmanship. In this way you will acquire the best piece of jewelry for YOU.

You are 100% correct here. The reason I have been troubled by all of this is because of that very reason - there is no right answer and everyone will have a different opinion. Some will prefer size of 2 color grades and some vice versa. I was hoping to get a poll going just as a proxy for what my gf might like. I dont have to wear it but I have to look at it and buy it and so I want to be sure I am maximizing value. Not only is that 4ct in the above pic a great color for a J but its also wonderfulyl spread making it even a better deal.

Another reason for the question and a few people have mentioned it was that perhaps there are certain sizes and cuts that show more warmth that others - and I think that has been repeated a few times by several people. Even still, some people prefer that warmth.

I am just going to ask my gf a hypothetical based on earrings or something and see what she says. But I''m not a good poker player and she will probably read thru that question like a children''s book.

sna77

Brilliant_Rock
Can someone post of picture of Harriet''s ring? Its 3+ ct and looks HUGE on her fingers...

3 ct is REALLY big... My FI''s 2.4 ct draws a ton of attenion on a size 3.5 finger...

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
I can''t remember if I posted my opinion in this thread already or not.
20.gif
2.gif
But if I didn''t, I vote "BIGGER!" Assuming well-cut, eye-clean, and no yellow tint, I am ALL ABOUT SIZE, BABEEEEEE, SIZE!!!
31.gif

alexandrite_lover

Rough_Rock
Okay people...here''s my parents'' story.

Since they were getting married (both for the first time) at 31 (Mom) and 37 (Dad), respectively, my father wanted my mom to have the ring of her dreams. So, he gave her a budget (but romantically- no worries there). So, she flew to Dallas, TX, and went ring shopping there at the World Trade Center in Dallas with my dad. They parted ways to go looking, and my dad found two stones: a 7 carat H- RB, and a 3 carat E- antique cushion/mine. He then found her and took her to look. Rather seriously, he asked her which she wanted (although he really did not want to be the one to pick it out in the end, as it was about her to him), and she replied, without any thought, the E.

Happily ever after (+ 24 years), she has one of the most stunning rings I have ever seen: platinum setting with two emerald cuts planking her mine/cushion ( 4 carats in total) with a plain wedding band. As it turns out, after three more days of looking, the E antique mine turned out to be what made her heart sing
26.gif

The point of this story is, if both sizes are more than respectable, go for color and clarity! I know, since you are the one who actually knows her, that you will make the right choice
36.gif

Hope this helps~ Madeline

alexandrite_lover

Rough_Rock
Oh, and she is a size 5. There''s plenty of coverage
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results