shape
carat
color
clarity

What to do with a .50 ct pear!?!?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

happyfeet1988

Shiny_Rock
Hi everyone. I am new as a member to the board, but I have been lingering and looking at everyone''s beautiful rings for over a year. Anyway, my bf is looking into purchasing a .5 ct. pear, SI1 (very eyeclean), G color. I know it''s not huge but we are pretty young, and I think a 1/2 ct is a good starting point. So, I was wondering if anyone had ideas for settings or if anyone has a similar size pear in a setting that they could post pictures of. I would appreciate any ideas, thank you so much!

marvel

Brilliant_Rock

What to do with a .50 ct pear!?!? Send it to me would be the obvious answer

31.gif

There are so many gorgeous settings on PS with pears. I've seen pave, halos, three stones. What is your preference?

BTW: The stone sounds fabulous...congratulations!

happyfeet1988

Shiny_Rock
Well, I prefer a pave setting or a three stone. I absolutely love halos, but I think a halo with a pear is just not for me. I guess I would just like to see what a smaller pear looks like in a handshot. Thank you!

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Here is a wonderful thread of pear inspiration!!

happyfeet1988

Shiny_Rock
Those rings are all fantastic! I have one question though.... do you think a pear as small as mine would look good with pear side stones? I don''t want to overpower the center by any means.

E B

Ideal_Rock
I think it'd be gorgeous paired with baguettes in white gold or platinum.
18.gif

happyfeet1988

Shiny_Rock
I saw an awesome setting for a 3 stone with 2 rounds today at the jewelry store my boyfriend buys everything from (don''t worry, it''s not a mall chain store, it''s a custom place) but I still keep coming back to the pear side stones. I think with a smaller stone, I''d be better off to go with something simple, like side stones or baguettes. Do you all think that baguettes give off a good amount of sparkle, or are they pretty dull?

widget

Ideal_Rock
I think pear sides would be just lovely...that gets my vote!
1.gif

(I love baguette sides, too, but think that pear sides might give off a bit more sparkle/bling...)

widget

happyfeet1988

Shiny_Rock
Does anyone have handshots of a smaller pear around the size we are looking at? I love all the huge stones, but I''m having a hard time envisioning a smaller pear on the hand. Thank you!

PearNut

Rough_Rock
It is soooooooo nice to hear you are getting a pear! When I went shopping for ideas to reset my pear - I went without it, looking at just what they had in the case and the standard question was - do you want a round or princess cut? UGH!

I think you either do or don''t like pears - I love them! I love the curve.

I work with someone who just reset her pear (about .5 ct - probably less) and she has baguette sides and it is stunning!

Go with what you love! When you try it on - you will just know what feels comfortable to you - stick with the pear center though!

Good luck - have fun with it!

(btw I''m still waiting for my custom set! I can''t wait - I''ve been without it long enough....)

happyfeet1988

Shiny_Rock
What is your custom set going to look like? That is so exciting! I don''t know if you can imagine this PearNut, but i saw an amazing setting at the jewelers yesterday. It was micropave and then had the baguette side stones. When they set a 1 ct. pear into the head, i almost passed out.... it was fabulous!

mercoledi

Ideal_Rock
Here's JCJD's 0.375 G/SI2 pear, ring size 4.5
RingAndChristmas2004-117small.jpg

ETA: fortekitty's 0.61ct E VS2.
pear%20mod%201.jpg
her thread

I'm a big fan of pears too and they get nice spread for their carat weight!

happyfeet1988

Shiny_Rock
Everyone in the pictures have such long, pretty fingers! Mine are really short. I wonder if a pear will look ok and not weird. I have a .38 ct. princess right now in an x prong setting and that looks good, but now I''m not so sure if the pear will look good

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think the shape of a pear is really good for making fingers look more elongated.

E B

Ideal_Rock
Happyfeet,

Have you seen Anchor31''s beautiful setting? I have no idea what it''d look like with a pear, but we have some snazzy photoshoppers in this community. The side stones are marquise, and according to anchor, .10cts each usually (hers are .13s, I believe):

Anchor31''s Engagement Ring

Anchor''s Hand Pics

Her center stone is a ~.50ct round, to give you an idea of size.

happyfeet1988

Shiny_Rock
Wow, that setting is great. I think I''m pretty set that i want a three stone with pears or baguettes on the side.

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
Funny that mine was posted... i''ve been visiting this thread hoping to get ideas for a re-set! I was gonna go with a halo, but after trying one on and not totally loving it on my hand, I think i''m gonna go for pear sides.

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
This kind of setting for a small pear has no halo, but sort of.

SmallPearSplit.jpg

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
I''d halo it with tiny little killer ACA melee... oh yum! I think that is a beautiful way to add some bling... and your stone is a GREAT size for a halo.

happyfeet1988

Shiny_Rock
Wow Lynn, that sounds fantastic. Problem is, the budget is only around 1800, inculding stone and setting. So I don''t know that ACA diamonds are in FF''s budget. But I am looking into seeing a cast halo setting, which will cut down the cost of the setting. That is a great idea though.

MustangFan

Brilliant_Rock

I''d go with 10 pointer for side stones, this way it doesn''t over power the half carat

My ring with be a three stone with haloed side diamonds

30.gif
I love the look, but I''m a little biased

JCJD

Brilliant_Rock
(Thanks mercoledi for posting my ring!)

Congrats on your almost-purchase! I sometimes think my 0.38ct pear is a little large, so yours should be massive! Pears have a great spread for their carat weight. People ask me if my stone is 1ct, and it looks larger than my mom''s 0.5ct RB diamond, and my stone has a thick girdle too!

Anyways, back to your setting questions. I really like the idea of pear sides- gorgeous, classic beauty. Choosing the size of the sides will depend on the actual size (mm length and width) of your pet rock though. I have a dear friend whose ering is an heirloom OEC (droool!) with (I think...) 0.2ct pear sides. If I remember correctly, her center stone is 0.5ct, although the spread diffs between pears and OECs are substantial. I''d suggest you have fun playing with rocks of varying sizes and proportions at the jewelers and see what fits in your budget and sings to you. Have fun with this!

ponderer

Shiny_Rock
My personal favorite......

Ritanipear9999.jpg

ponderer

Shiny_Rock
but this one is a close second........

fhkjxghmxhgkgdsfjsgmhgshg.jpg

ponderer

Shiny_Rock
Happyfeet,

A Pear can look lovely on your hand, even if you dont have long slender fingers. My SIL is looking for a pear and setting and has found that a slender, longer pear looks better on her "stubby" fingers than a wider, fat pears do.

happyfeet1988

Shiny_Rock
Oh ponder i absolutely love that first setting.... where is it from?

ponderer

Shiny_Rock
The first setting is by Ritani. I have no idea who made the second setting.

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
That Ritani was on my list when I was considering my reset. Very pretty. I prefer prong setting over bezel though - bezel made my pear look smaller.

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/7/2007 11:39:21 AM
Author: Pricescope
This kind of setting for a small pear has no halo, but sort of.
ooooh, pretty!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results