shape
carat
color
clarity

My amazing B&M buying experience!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

anchor31

Ideal_Rock

J, my FF, and I went shopping for the second time for my engagement ring on Saturday. J had heard from collegues that a local jeweler called Marcel André made gorgeous custom diamond jewelry for good prices. I was a bit skeptical at first, but allycat told me her FI had visited him and had been impressed with him so I figured it was worth a shot. So, armed with the education PS has given me, we went to see him.

I had seen a couple of settings on his website (www.marcelandre.com) that I liked, so I asked to see this one.

2-1.jpg

I tried it on and I knew it was the one!! He told me the display ring I had on my finger was a fake and that real diamonds and real WG would be even more beautiful and fiery and I could barely believe it… Even the fake was gorgeous!
6.gif

He let me keep it on my finger and we sat down to discuss the specifics. He has an amazing collection of models and he makes the one you want exactly like you want it. Bigger, smaller, WG, YG, titanium, different shapes, different gemstones… You name it, he can do it. He works with a nickel-free rodium-plated gold and palladium alloy for the WG, and the sample he showed us looked really beautiful.

Then, we started talking about stones. He educated us about the 4 Cs and it was quickly obvious he had no intention of feeding us nonsense and really wanted us to know what we were buying. This man has a GIA gemologist diploma, loves his business and loves diamonds. He really appreciated the fact that I had educated myself and knew so much about diamonds already! He handpicks all the stones he sells for their brilliance, fire, whiteness and clarity. He sells only very good to ideal cuts, H to D colour, SI1 to FL clarity diamonds.

At first he showed us an ideal cut 1/3ct F-VS2 Canadian diamond. He let us look at it with a loupe, showed us the AGS cert, showed us the colour against white paper, tried to show us the tiny feather near the girdle (both J and I found it impossible to see!!); it was great. We told him we were looking to buy as close to 1/2ct as possible as were ready to go lower in colour and clarity so it could fit our $2000 CAD budget for the stone. He then got out his special selection of 1/2ct diamonds, which are all excellent cut G-SI1 stones. He usually sells them for $2400 CAD, but since the Canadian dollar has been going up, he was ready to sell it to us for $2200 CAD. He looked them over and chose one to show us. I looked at the cert, and the numbers aren’t perfect, but its fire and brilliance was unbelievable. It was a real fireball, throwing off all the colours of the rainbow, which I noticed the ideal cut 1/3ct F-VS2 didn’t do as much. According to the cert diagram, the inclusion is a small feather near the girdle and tiny crystals next to it. Both J and I scrutinized it with the loupe face up, from all sides, from the bottom… We couldn’t see a thing, it’s perfectly loupe clean! It also has a perfect H&A pattern and is icy white (as a matter of fact, I didn’t notice a difference between the F and the G).

(to be continued…)

anchor31

Ideal_Rock

The absolute best thing of this experience was that, to show us that even if this stone isn’t an ideal cut, it performs outstandingly in ALL lighting conditions, he took the stone outside in the parking with us!! It was a beautiful sunny day and the diamond was just blinding in sunlight!!

10.gif
The H&A pattern was easily noticeable even without the loupe. We went to see it under shade and it was just as fiery… I just fell in love with it. Ideal cut or no, it was the perfect stone for us! J said that the look on my face was priceless.

We went back inside to talk about prices. The setting has a very thin shank (I’m guessing 1.2 mm?) and two 10 points G-VS2 very good cut marquise accents for $665 CAD. With the diamond for $2200 CAD, it goes up to about $3250 CAD taxes included. I was planning to spend 500$ for the setting (J had agreed to let me pay for it), and he was planning to spend 2000$, but I loved the ring too much to say no, and apparently J did too. He said the diamond was so beautiful and I looked so happy and awed that he couldn’t refuse me that stone!

30.gif
So we said yes!! The jeweler asked for a deposit and I paid the 665$ for the setting straight up. The jeweler assured us that the ring will be done by June 24th, which is a national holiday here in Qc, and J can come in and pick it up anytime after that when he’s ready. It comes with its AGS cert, a certificate of authenticity as a Canadian diamond, and an appraisal of value for insurance purposes.

J told him he’ll probably pick it up sometime in late July (his original plan was to ask for it to be done by then, not late June). I swear, only you guys will save me from going completely insane waiting for my August (probably…) proposal!

19.gif

Before leaving, we looked at wedding bands for him. Marcel André also has an impressive selection of bands, and he can custom make one like you wish too. J particularly liked a two tone band that had YG on the outsides, brushed WG next to the YG and polished WG in the center, and he would have three 3 points RBs added to it. I really loved the look too! Diamonds aren’t just for women, aren’t they?

28.gif

The jeweler even gave me a free wedding mag before we left!!

9.gif
Both J and I adored the buying experience with him and can’t wait to see the finished ring (and J took much pleasure in reminding me he’ll see it first…
11.gif
)!! We definitely will be going to him for our wedding bands and our future diamond purchases. I have diamond stud earrings and a diamond pendant there somewhere in the future…
31.gif

Thank you Pricescope, the LIWs and allycat!! To all Montrealers, I highly recommend that you go take a look and talk to Marcel. His service was impeccable and his inventory is spectacular. He can make whatever you want, even Birks/Tiffany/Cartier/etc. replicas, but without the markups.

Note to platinum lovers: He can make a platinum ring for you if you want it, but he doesn’t recommend it and doesn’t like working with it because he finds it too soft for jewelry. It’s the only downside I could find, but it wasn’t a problem for us since I wanted WG.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
anchor,
This is such a heart warming story. I am thrilled for you and J. I saw the setting in your other thread and instantly fell in love with it. I can''t wait to see this set. I''m sure the stone is amazing. It spoke to you and J. That''s what it''s all about. Sounds like the jeweler is a lovely guy who loves what he does. Thanks for sharing this experience with all of us. It sure put a smile on my face!!! Lisa
1.gif

fisherofmengirly

Ideal_Rock
Aww... I''m so glad you loved your experience. Sounds like you got to work with an outstanding dealer! yay! I think it''s cute that your boy''s excited to get to see the whole thing together before you do. It''s so precious when men get involved and get excited and want to surprise their girls. If only they''d do all that cute stuff on OUR schedules!!

ilovesparkles

Ideal_Rock
Oh that is just such a fabulous story! I am glad you two found your dream ring and the perfect diamond! Don''t worry we will keep you from going nuts until August! Its almosy sad I don''t wanna lose so many of you wonderful LIW this summer/fall yet its so exciting for the reasons you usually leave.

anchor31

Ideal_Rock
kaleigh - Thank you so much for your support, spoken and not. It definitely has helped me to know you''ve been following my story; good thoughts always help. Unfortunately, we did not get the matching band right away. Marcel has assured us that he throws nothing away and always keeps his designs, so we can get it whenever we are ready, at the original price (665$ like the e-ring setting). We might not get married for another 2-3 years, but J said he might buy it next year.
1.gif

fisher - It feels amazing to know how happy J is. He''s been literally oozing with love, happiness and generosity all weekend. I told him I want to know nothing about the rest of the process and the proposal itself and I will stand by that. It''s his turn to do the work now!
27.gif
Seriously, I''m so happy I know it''ll be worth the wait, even if I have three more months to wait like I suspect. It''ll be crazy, but I can do it!
5.gif

anchor31

Ideal_Rock
ilovesparkles - Don''t worry sweetie... When I''ll be off the list it won''t mean I''ll leave!! I owe so much to PS and the other LIWs and LIW graduates since October... The support here, including yours, is amazing.

This is silly, but I''m so excited that my avatar is now MY RING!!!
36.gif
9.gif
This is so surreal... I can''t quite believe it yet. It feels like a dream, like it''s too good to be true.

alyson423

Rough_Rock
What a great story! I love to hear about people''s great buying experiences. That sounds like it went exactly the way an engagement ring shopping trip should go! That kind of treatment, consideration, and expertise is worth every penny. Marcel sounds like someone who really loves his business.
36.gif

Blue824

Brilliant_Rock
Anchor, that seriously sounds like the best buying experience ever! Repeating what others have said, but everyone should be so lucky! It really is a beautiful set, congratulations
1.gif

LizzieC

Brilliant_Rock
How wonderful anchor! It''s a beautiful set... I can''t wait to see it on your hand!
9.gif

anchor31

Ideal_Rock
Thank you alyson, blue and lizzie!! It was the best buying experience ever, I''m still blown away by Marcel''s passion and consideration. It was perfect, and I wish that kind of experience to everyone! I can''t wait to see it... I can''t believe I have at least two months to wait!
32.gif

Selkie

Ideal_Rock
Congratulations, Anchor! I love that ring too, and I''m glad you found the perfect diamond to go with it. I''ve been waiting for my ring for over two months, like you, and it''s coming this week! Believe it or not, it IS possible, if you stay very busy! Hang in there
36.gif
!

I''ve been meaning to ask you, what aspects of marine biology are you interested in? A little off topic, but I''ve been curious since you mentioned that''s what you are studying.

anchor31

Ideal_Rock
Thank you for your support Selkie! It helps to know there are other people going through this.

I chose marine biology at first because I am interested in marine ecosystems conservation and marine wildlife conservation. Unfortunately, I hated the college and was very disapointed with the program...
7.gif
I am transferring to a local college in September. I will finish my biology degree, this time in the ecology, conservation and biodiversity option, which is pretty similar but not focused on marine biology only.

allycat0303

Ideal_Rock
Anchor!! I''m so happy to see that you''ve updated the situation. I was SO excited to hear everything. I am so happy to hear you had a great experience. And I love the setting. A big congrats! Can''t wait to see the new bling, it''s going to be AMAZING! And so huge for the quebec standards you lucky girl. It looks as though you''ve picked a winner in terms the stone, I''ve seen a few stones from Montreal that are simply gorgeous, so I know it''s possible.

Congrats again!!!

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m always glad to hear stories like this! It can be an awesome experience if you find the right jeweler. I''m glad you found your heart''s desire and it''s on its way!!

lizz

Brilliant_Rock
Beautiful set. Glad to hear you are so happy with your experience!
21.gif

anchor31

Ideal_Rock
Thank you so much!!
9.gif

ally - We''ll definitely have to meet. I didn''t think it would be possible to get such a wonderful ring locally, but it really is like a dream come true, so thanks for your help and support! I couldn''t speak more highly of Marcel. I can''t quite believe I''m getting such a high quality .70tcw e-ring yet! It is huge to local standards! I''ve never seen a ring bigger than .25ct that didn''t look fake, so it''s a bit overwhelming...

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sounds like you had a great experience -- and what a beautiful ring!

allycat0303

Ideal_Rock
Anchor: No it''s seriously big for Montreal. The biggest I''ve seen yet is 0.4 carats. On doctors no less! There was one woman though (in her late 50''s) that had a 3 carat cushion. But seriously, it''s going to be gorgeous. We''ll meet up in septemeber for supper and bling sharing. Hopefully my ring will be on it''s way back to me by then. I LOVE your set. It''s gorgeous! And FINALLY TOO!!

anchor31

Ideal_Rock
Finally is the word... We''d been looking since February!! I love it so much, I''m so excited! And I know how lucky I am... I''m not telling anyone we spent 3295$ on it, they''re all going to say we''re insane! We''re already looking into insurance; I''m not walking around with that baby if it''s not covered!

I don''t know if you''ve noticed, but I''ve been visiting Mtl wedding planning boards and talked to some newly married and soon to be married people and it seems like Montrealers spend a lot of money on their wedding day (limos, huge dresses and guest lists), but not much on their rings. The way J and I see it, the wedding is only a day and the rings are going to be worn for the rest of our lives. We''ve both always wanted a small, intimate (50 guests MAX) outdoor wedding anyway, so while we''ll have spent a lot more than average on our rings (my set will go up to 4k and he wants a YG, brushed WG and polished WG band with three 3-pointers F-VS2 diamonds), we''ll probably spend a lot less than average on our wedding day. And we are determined to NOT go into debt for our rings or the wedding under no circumstances. I guess it depends on your point of view on those things...

I can''t wait to see your ring too, ally! I hope things get patched up with your FI... Meanwhile, good luck on your exams, I''m still sending you good vibes!

sunkist

Ideal_Rock
Yay Anchor!!
36.gif
9.gif
I''m so glad you and J had such a good time and that you fell in love with the setting and stone. It sounds so perfect and I''m looking forward to your engagment so we can see pictures!!! And I waiting with you too for propbably August to get my proposal!

anchor31

Ideal_Rock
Thanks sunkist!
35.gif
I can''t wait to see that stone of yours set and on your hand too! Do you know anything about the setting?

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
anchor
35.gif

congrats !!! looks beautiful.
30.gif
36.gif

sunkist

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/30/2006 6:53:28 PM
Author: anchor31
Thanks sunkist!
35.gif
I can't wait to see that stone of yours set and on your hand too! Do you know anything about the setting?

Yep! The setting I want is the Lockes signature solitaire setting! I'm so excited
9.gif
Does your ring come with the wedding band as well? I love the whole look.

eta: Ooo!~ Sorry it's so huge
41.gif

1Lockes_Signature_Solitaire.jpg

anchor31

Ideal_Rock
What a beautiful, classic setting! It is me, or there are surprise diamonds on the sides? I love it!
30.gif

We''ve only bought the e-ring for now. We''ve already busted our budget, so we''re going to wait. The jeweler assured us that he never throws his designs away, so even if we come back for it in a year or two, he''ll be able to make it for us. I love the whole look too, so I''m really glad to know that!

flopkins

Ideal_Rock
very pretty!!! can''t wait to see the finished product!!!!

anchor31

Ideal_Rock
Thanks Dancing Fire and flopkins!
35.gif

SoonIHope

Ideal_Rock
AAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!
9.gif
9.gif
36.gif
9.gif
9.gif
36.gif
36.gif
9.gif
9.gif
36.gif
36.gif

I was out of town (no internet
39.gif
) all last week and missed this!!!!!!! I am sooooooooooooooooooooooooo excited for you!!!!!!!!!!!!
9.gif
9.gif
9.gif
9.gif
9.gif
9.gif
9.gif
9.gif
9.gif
9.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

And I have to say - your ring is by far my favorite of all the versions of what you thought you might want that you've posted over the months!!!! It is absolute perfection, and I can't wait to see it ON YOUR HAND!!!! I adooooooore it!!!!
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif

Okay I really have to catch back up at work since I was out so long, but WOWOWOWOW this was great to come back to!!!!!
9.gif
9.gif
9.gif
9.gif
SOOOOOO HAPPY FOR YOU, ANCHOR!!!!!!!!
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

[ETA: wow I look insane with all those different smileys! I was just excited!!
3.gif
]

anchor31

Ideal_Rock
Thank you albi!!!
9.gif
9.gif
9.gif

I definitely don''t regret my choice... I LOVE IT!
30.gif
I can''t wait to get it, it''s driving me insane! I think about it all the time!
19.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results