shape
carat
color
clarity

What should I do with my U/V lt brown 1.55 ct AVC?

LGK

Ideal_Rock
Let's play reset :tongue:! I have a 1.55 ct light brown AVC. It's currently set in a RG millgrain bezel in this bracelet from BGD: http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/home/ring-details/?product_id=5511..

The bracelet is lovely in some ways- but it gets filthy, filthy dirty with the exposed pavilion sitting on my skin, and flips over both upside down and underneath my wrist constantly, and the unrelieved RG washes it out actually.

I'd like to do something cool with it. What? Got me. :bigsmile: I don't really need another RHR- but, after I've thought about it some... it's sure a possibility.

I'm just kind of playing with ideas right now, so lay 'em on me. No budget that I've considered really, so just ignore that- I'm trolling for ideas mostly. Cheap is better, obviously, but there isn't much anymore setting-wise that qualifies!

One thing: I don't want a plain bezel/millgrain pendant. That's out. Otherwise, I'm open to suggestions.

Oh and another- it needs some white metal, or white stones, for contrast. It's really washed out with just RG around it- whatever happens, it absolutely needs some contrast thrown in! And I'd ideally like RG surrounding it to play up the pinkish hue it has.

Thanks guys!

kennedy

Shiny_Rock
Sounds beautiful! Any pics of the stone to inspire us??

LGK

Ideal_Rock
kennedy|1316501199|3021206 said:
Sounds beautiful! Any pics of the stone to inspire us??
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/avc-1-50-ct-s-t-light-brown-in-rose-gold-bezel-bracelet.156574/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/avc-1-50-ct-s-t-light-brown-in-rose-gold-bezel-bracelet.156574/[/URL]
This is it!

Haha, oh lord. I never get the stats on this stone straight in my head- when I posted the SMTB thread I put the wrong color in the title (by *two shades* which is even more ridiculous) and I put the wrong weight in this one. It, for real this time I swear, is a 1.50 ct U/V light brown. I think!

It is funny how IRL AVCs really don't face up that small compared to a round. My 1.22 ct OEC appears a hair smaller. And they both measure ~7mm. I'd say the AVC looks about like a 1.4 ct round, which is not that far off.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
OMG. It's a cushion shaped diamond with a halo!! Eeeeeeeeeeeek!!! *faint* It's like seeing it naked. I'm in shock. Quick... stick it in a "Harry Winston Halo"... cause THOSE aren't overdone.

I'll work on alternate ideas. But let's get that out of the way.

LGK

Ideal_Rock
Gypsy|1316504402|3021218 said:
OMG. It's a cushion shaped diamond with a halo!! Eeeeeeeeeeeek!!! *faint* It's like seeing it naked. I'm in shock. Quick... stick it in a "Harry Winston Halo"... cause THOSE aren't overdone.

I'll work on alternate ideas. But let's get that out of the way.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: I know right? I'm not quite sure how it can even exist without a micropave halo!

natascha

Brilliant_Rock
This is what you need to do. Package it well and send it to my post address. I will magically transform it into a 0.8ish white OEC that I will send back to you. See that way everyone is happy :twisted: . Because as you have noted, this light brown baby does not really suit a rose gold bezel but I promise that in it's new incarnation as a white OEC it will look very pretty in a rose gold bezel. :lol:

In my opinion light browns like that need contrast, preferably with white diamonds, otherwise they tend to disappear against the skin. So either a luscious halo ( a more chunky one with 3-5 pointers and then a rose gold band would look great and a bit different) or white side stones. The same goes if you want a bracelet.

pinkjewel

Ideal_Rock
Soooo pretty!! If it was me- I'd surround it with a pink diamond halo set in rose gold and use a white diamond encrusted platinum shank.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I swear to god, I was just thinking about this stone .... was trying to think what I would do if I could snag a similar one!

I think I would be tempted to contrast the vintage look of the AVS with a modern setting, sort of like Aeolianarpa did with her gorgeous Krikawa setting (https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/avc-krikawa-mokume.163859/), or perhaps with a Maevona setting. OR, if you decide not to go with a RHR ... what about a delicate seed pearl choker, Georgian-style? With a deeper setting so the pavilion doesn't get schmutzed up, of course. :ugeek:

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
White metal and white diamonds only IMO to highlight its tint.

Then I would personally go for a ring since I like to look at my diamonds. I'd do a halo, even if it is cliche, or else tapered baguette or pear sides as white as can be, or even little AVC sides in a three stone :love:

MissStepcut

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
If you really don't need any more rings, and you want something unique and interesting... what about bezel setting it in a collar?

slg47

Ideal_Rock
what about another bracelet? not a dbty but something more substantial?

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Are you opposed to any kind of necklace or just a plain bezel/milgrain?

LGK

Ideal_Rock
yennyfire|1316544128|3021511 said:
Are you opposed to any kind of necklace or just a plain bezel/milgrain?
Just plain millgrain bezel. I wouldn't wear it, though I love them on others the style just isn't me. But necklaces in general are on the table, totally. :bigsmile:

I love some of the ideas so far!

tyty333 said:
I'm thinking halo with a plain shank...that would be my choice. What about a pink diamond halo??? (you DID say ignore
the cost for now ;)) ) or may be pink sapphires? Or a beautiful necklace that you could do in white gold and pink gold like this...although your AVC maybe a little large for this.
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/pics-of-oec-flower-pendant.146876/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/pics-of-oec-flower-pendant.146876/[/URL]

Tyty, I'd totally forgotten about that flower-necklace setting. Hmmm. I like the idea of no other stones I think- just two tone metal.
Circe said:
I swear to god, I was just thinking about this stone .... was trying to think what I would do if I could snag a similar one!

I think I would be tempted to contrast the vintage look of the AVS with a modern setting, sort of like Aeolianarpa did with her gorgeous Krikawa setting (https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/avc-krikawa-mokume.163859/), or perhaps with a Maevona setting. OR, if you decide not to go with a RHR ... what about a delicate seed pearl choker, Georgian-style? With a deeper setting so the pavilion doesn't get schmutzed up, of course. :ugeek:
Oh funny! Yeah, that Krikawa ring was *amazing*- I usually don't do more modern stuff, but there are things I certainly love- mokume is one of them for sure. And Circe, a choker could be totally awesome! I'll go poke around and see if I can find some good pics of that style. Interesting!

slg47 said:
what about another bracelet? not a dbty but something more substantial?
I could totally do another bracelet, and honestly I don't have any bracelets I wear that much right now. Plus I could still see it!

MissStepcut said:
If you really don't need any more rings, and you want something unique and interesting... what about bezel setting it in a collar?
I totally do chokers/collars. Although it would have a lot of competition- I do have a lot of other necklaces I love and wear.

pinkjewel said:
Soooo pretty!! If it was me- I'd surround it with a pink diamond halo set in rose gold and use a white diamond encrusted platinum shank.
I love that style but it isn't terribly *me* I must admit... though I do love, like, acebruin's ring of course, who doesn't?
natascha said:
This is what you need to do. Package it well and send it to my post address. I will magically transform it into a 0.8ish white OEC that I will send back to you. See that way everyone is happy :twisted: . Because as you have noted, this light brown baby does not really suit a rose gold bezel but I promise that in it's new incarnation as a white OEC it will look very pretty in a rose gold bezel. :lol:

In my opinion light browns like that need contrast, preferably with white diamonds, otherwise they tend to disappear against the skin. So either a luscious halo ( a more chunky one with 3-5 pointers and then a rose gold band would look great and a bit different) or white side stones. The same goes if you want a bracelet.
You're totally right it needs contrast- the funny thing is, I'd been expecting it to arrive with a white gold chain, but you know, BGD's mad mind reading skillz were not up to par and they didn't do it! ;)) What's up with that? :tongue:

kennedy

Shiny_Rock
Gorgeous stone! I love the color!! It almost doesn't look like a typical AVC -- it looks more antique somehow.

I'm not terribly creative when it comes to design, but I vote for a ring (I'm a bit biased as that is the only jewelry I wear). My reasoning is that you can't really enjoy the stone if it's on your neck. If it were my stone, I would probably do a sleek bezel setting in rose gold with no milgraining.

LGK

Ideal_Rock
You know what? Circe, I looked at Aelionarpa's thread again. And... I really have always loved Mokume. And tension set rings. Which are, you know, like the polar opposite of my normal taste. But, this stone is like the *only* one I own that could possibly exist in a tension setting, because it's the only modern diamond I own (thus it has a reasonable width girdle).

Then I looked over at Boonerings.com. And I kind of love their mokume inlay- there's one that's a RG plus a dark color metal that also looks yummy to me. It's $605. It'd be a huge departure for me in terms of style, but you know what? That might be fun. It's not a *huge* commitment in terms of price, unlike.... oh, almost every other type of setting out there. And it might be fun to have a Really Different RHR.

This is the inlay color: http://www.boonerings.com/mokume-inlays/rosegoldshakudotwist.htm
This is the setting I'm hoping he can do with the inlay: http://www.boonerings.com/stone-settings/venus.htm

I don't know, maybe I've temporarily lost my mind due to cheese overdose* and I'd never wear such a modern, chunky setting. But I'll think on it. Meanwhile any more ideas are welcome, as well as critique of the tension ring idea/insanity. Also- what does everyone think about the inlay being enough to make the color of the AVC pop?

*We've been trying (and mostly succeeding) to eat better- mostly whole foods, no carbs, blah blah veggies blah. Anyways- I do sometimes go, ah, overboard on the too-strict end of things and end up with unfortunate occurances like this evening's Cheese Incident. Which basically involved me curling up on the couch with a wedge of pear and apple Stilton, and eating it with my fingers. And maybe, possibly, growling at any boys or cats trying to mooch any like the cheese crazed barbarian I am.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I like the idea LGK. And the investment isn't great. HOWEVER as someone who is selling something she bought that is 'outside of the normal run' of her taste... I caution you to consider if you would wear this.

LGK

Ideal_Rock
Gypsy|1316585598|3021975 said:
I like the idea LGK. And the investment isn't great. HOWEVER as someone who is selling something she bought that is 'outside of the normal run' of her taste... I caution you to consider if you would wear this.
I'll sit on it for a bit for sure. Like you, I tend to ruminate over setting decisions for awhile. Who knows what I'll think about the idea once the cheese high has worn off!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'm on a "Bistro Biscuit" kick myself. I bought three packages and am down to less than one. It's awful. They are these new cookies by Trader Joes that remind me of my childhood. And I'm in an extreme "comfort me, food" place. But man, have I been on a cookie high. SO yummy.

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
LGK|1316581229|3021950 said:
You know what? Circe, I looked at Aelionarpa's thread again. And... I really have always loved Mokume. And tension set rings. Which are, you know, like the polar opposite of my normal taste. But, this stone is like the *only* one I own that could possibly exist in a tension setting, because it's the only modern diamond I own (thus it has a reasonable width girdle).

Then I looked over at Boonerings.com. And I kind of love their mokume inlay- there's one that's a RG plus a dark color metal that also looks yummy to me. It's $605. It'd be a huge departure for me in terms of style, but you know what? That might be fun. It's not a *huge* commitment in terms of price, unlike.... oh, almost every other type of setting out there. And it might be fun to have a Really Different RHR.

This is the inlay color: http://www.boonerings.com/mokume-inlays/rosegoldshakudotwist.htm
This is the setting I'm hoping he can do with the inlay: http://www.boonerings.com/stone-settings/venus.htm

I don't know, maybe I've temporarily lost my mind due to cheese overdose* and I'd never wear such a modern, chunky setting. But I'll think on it. Meanwhile any more ideas are welcome, as well as critique of the tension ring idea/insanity. Also- what does everyone think about the inlay being enough to make the color of the AVC pop?

*We've been trying (and mostly succeeding) to eat better- mostly whole foods, no carbs, blah blah veggies blah. Anyways- I do sometimes go, ah, overboard on the too-strict end of things and end up with unfortunate occurances like this evening's Cheese Incident. Which basically involved me curling up on the couch with a wedge of pear and apple Stilton, and eating it with my fingers. And maybe, possibly, growling at any boys or cats trying to mooch any like the cheese crazed barbarian I am.

Eeeeeeeeeenteresting! I'd be nervous about the dimensions you'd need in a tension-set ring to hold a 1.5 ct stone, I think - especially for a deep stone like your typical AVC. Something like this, though, I'd be very tempted by! Think your stone is close enough to square to go kite-set? http://www.boonerings.com/stone-settings/prongswmok.htm

P.S. - You can never have too much cheese. Cheese is your friiiiiiiiiiiiiiiend. Or, at least, that's what I like to tell myself.

LGK

Ideal_Rock
OK, after sleeping on it, I'd say the Boone ring is still a possibility- it's not my absolute favorite design ever, but I like the open-ness of the tension setting and the price. Mostly the price. And the fact that I think (I hope!) it will make the color of the center pop more than it currently does, and I do think the Mokume is cool. In terms of god-I'd-really-like-this-reset-but-I'm-cheap, this is definitely a real possibility. Circe, it sounds like this particular setting is made for larger centers even than the 1.50 ct cushion I have, so it shouldn't be unwearably bulky by any means. (And sadly, no, it isn't quite square enough to kite set- I fiddled with it enough to realize it's just off square enough to annoy me set that way.)

Will I wear it since it is a (huge) departure from my usual style? Well, that is the question! :tongue: I do like it lots more than a basic solitaire style, which would pretty much be the only other possibility in this price range, for positive sure. I don't like solitaires on my hand at ALL- I've tried a few cheapie ones and really didn't like them on me. Plus I don't think most solitaires would have enough going on to make the color pop.

I've been thinking realistically about how much a setting will cost too- it's fun to imagine all the possibilities (I do really enjoy that part :Up_to_something: ) but this isn't, like, my really nice OEC that I can justify spending $$$$ on a setting for, you know? There are of course other things I like more, but easily $1- $2- and $3K more. Easy. And I am thinking if I spend thousands on a setting it's gonna be on something perfectly perfect, like another Victor Canera or a Van Craeynest. But, I'm simply not up for doing that right now- so I'd say it's either leave it where it is, or put it in the Boone setting. Maybe I'll bite the bullet in a few years and stick it in a VC setting (which VC, not sure :naughty:) but for now, I can't stand the notion of putting it in a setting that costs at least half what the stone did if not a lot more than that.

If I liked some of the jewelers' work who do argentium silver I might be tempted by that, but they just don't do anything for me personally.

So, I might very well just give the Boone tension setting a try. It probably won't be a "forever" setting, but hopefully it'll at least let me finally enjoy the AVC, which, since it's absolutely filthy 99% of the time, right now I really don't get to. And even if the setting ain't quite perfect I suspect getting to appreciate the stone at long last will be worth it!

However if there's anything anyone would like to suggest for a similar price (~$600ish) that fits the criteria, I'm all ears! Since I do, you know, brood on stuff for awhile I will probably wait a little bit before leaping one way or the other.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Okay so... here's what I'd do. I'd find a lovely three stone setting on ebay ... like this one in the 600 or less range:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/280737985450?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649 Change out the head... see if maybe BGD or WF will let you have the Legato or the Truth head in yellow gold.

Or one like this with an integrated head: http://www.ebay.com/itm/140605800188?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649 (great price if I had something I liked for this, I'd go for it).

Get it sized and SUPER polished.

Then I'd stick your stone in it and wear it on your hand.

Why? You can EASILY re-sell the setting eventually if you want to. Much easier than selling a very niche setting like the Boone you are considering.

And it gives you the opportunity to wear it on your hand and see if you appreciate it as a ring and if you like the white metal contrast. If you don't... We'll come up with a pendant design for you. I have one in mind... but it's pricey.

acebruin

Brilliant_Rock
i have a u/v light brown cushion with baguettes... i love it! so that would be my vote or a white halo with pink claws!

LGK

Ideal_Rock
Gypsy|1316680184|3022767 said:
Okay so... here's what I'd do. I'd find a lovely three stone setting on ebay ... like this one in the 600 or less range:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/280737985450?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649 Change out the head... see if maybe BGD or WF will let you have the Legato or the Truth head in yellow gold.

Or one like this with an integrated head: http://www.ebay.com/itm/140605800188?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649 (great price if I had something I liked for this, I'd go for it).

Get it sized and SUPER polished.

Then I'd stick your stone in it and wear it on your hand.

Why? You can EASILY re-sell the setting eventually if you want to. Much easier than selling a very niche setting like the Boone you are considering.

And it gives you the opportunity to wear it on your hand and see if you appreciate it as a ring and if you like the white metal contrast. If you don't... We'll come up with a pendant design for you. I have one in mind... but it's pricey.
Good point on the resale factor. I just haven't found anything with RG that would make the stone's color pop, but maybe I should let go of that and just look for a settign with side stones. OMG that fishtail setting is pretty, and cheap! too bad it fits a 5mm stone :((

I've been poking around and nothing vintage has really popped out at me but it's for sure worth trying IMO. I keep hoping the perfect thing will pop up on Voldemort since the larger vintage settings can be hard to find, but tend to show up over there more often than, like, eBay.

I'm also frustrated (and worried TBH) because my bench guy, who I would normally be able to take something to that was a close fit but not quite, stopped answering his phone and now his voice mail is full and has been for weeks. He doesn't have a store front, so I can't just stalk him there- I really hope nothing happened to him but it sort of looks like maybe that's the case. And I've tried a number of other local jewelry stores/benches and have uniformly hated them all, especially compared to Larry's impeccable work.

Also Kim Wheeling appears to have dropped off the net, which sucks since he was also a good source of cheap but cute filigree temp settings. Jansjewells.com carries the same molds but has always been like 2X the price Kim was, and Kim was better at modifiying them.

kelpie

Ideal_Rock
I do like the boone idea....it's cheap in case you figure out the setting of your dreams and would show the diamond well. Sometimes a departure is good as long as you see yourself wearing it. I'd love to see it in a dark metal like some of his finishes. My husband's wedding ring is from Boone, all customized with meteorite inlay and personal engraving, no kidding we ordered on a saturday night and he sent me an email monday afternoon saying it was shipped. Who else does custom like that?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Don't have to call it Voldemort anymore. Diamondbistro is okay to say! YEAH.

I emailed the seller about that first setting I linked you to, the expired one, he is relisting on Sunday. I know it's more contemporary than your usual, but it will fit your stone and you can change the head.

LGK

Ideal_Rock
OMG!!! Please everyone cross your fingers and toes for me that nobody beat me to it! I found something that looks unbelievably perfect on (omg it's not Voldemort anymore) DiamondBistro!

http://diamondbistro.com/category/219/Colored-Center-Stone/listings/23244/18k-Antique-ring-w-Oyo-Mint-Tourm-and-Diamonds.html

It doesn't have any rose gold on it but 1. I really do absolutely LURVE the setting 2. the price is killer and it's a fellow PSer's lovely 3. bonus gorgeous tourmaline, who can hate that 4. it should fit my stone, I hope! (And if not, see #3 :naughty:) (I did NOT make an offer because I think she's practically giving it away already.) I can absolutely live with it not having rose gold; again, maybe it won't be the forever setting (if I did beat the peanut gallery to buying it, if it does fit) but it's totally gorgeous and I'd be happy with it for quite awhile anyway.

Gypsy, thank you for checking on that other setting- if this falls through it's saved on my watch list :tongue: I still haven't crossed the Boone totally off my mental list. But I do like to buy vintage, i really do- and your point about resaleability is absolutely one of my major reasons, beyond just the great workmanship you simply can't buy for any price, the pricing, and that I love the aesthetics of most vintage far more than modern stuff. And I think I needed to be reminded of that!

If I can reset my AVC into it, I'll give the tourmaline to my mom. She deserves something pretty to cheer her up after her stroke a few weeks ago.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Whoa! How on earth did I miss this thread?

LGK your bracelet was THE inspiration for mine! But... I remember you talking about how the RG washed the stone out back when you first posted about it, so I guess a reset was inevitable :rodent: The new ring will make a really neat piece - the setting *fits* with an antique-style stone, I think.

I'm so sorry to hear about your mum :(sad I hope she's recovering.

LGK

Ideal_Rock
Yssie|1316935569|3024900 said:

LGK your bracelet was THE inspiration for mine! But... I remember you talking about how the RG washed the stone out back when you first posted about it, so I guess a reset was inevitable :rodent: The new ring will make a really neat piece - the setting *fits* with an antique-style stone, I think.

Oh. My. God! How on *earth* did I miss your amazing bracelet?! I love the different sizes of chains you used! I will confess :naughty: that my bracelet is definitely not going to get scrapped. I have three poor orphan OECs that have been sitting in my jewelry box gathering dust for ages. (Two ~.50 carat ish ones and a .65ish one). I think the smaller stones, set in white bezels, will work much better with the bracelet better than the AVC, plus it'll be nice to have the two different colors of metal. I might start with just the bigger one at first, but I'm pretty sure all three will wind up on the bracelet eventually. I mean, I really *love* the look and style of the bezel millgrain bracelet, don't get me wrong- it's just that I finally have to admit that the AVC isn't the best fit for it, and I really ought to set those poor loose stones! (The AVC is just too big I think, hence the flippiness- smaller stones would for sure be better in that respect I think.)

I'll be interested to see what your DH comes up with in a five stone design- boy, I bet that was a shock :rolleyes: It's amazing the things they decide to gobsmack us with sometimes, I swear. Well, anyway, nothing wrong with a few extra diamonds on the finger!

Oh, and mom's doing somewhat better- slow recovery but she does have a whole crew of excellent therapists working with her and she might be cleared to drive again soon- great news, since it's killing her that she got a brand new car for the very first time a few months ago, and now she can't drive it!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LGK|1316940308|3024910 said:
Yssie|1316935569|3024900 said:

Oh. My. God! How on *earth* did I miss your amazing bracelet?! I love the different sizes of chains you used! I will confess :naughty: that my bracelet is definitely not going to get scrapped. I have three poor orphan OECs that have been sitting in my jewelry box gathering dust for ages. (Two ~.50 carat ish ones and a .65ish one). I think the smaller stones, set in white bezels, will work much better with the bracelet better than the AVC, plus it'll be nice to have the two different colors of metal. I might start with just the bigger one at first, but I'm pretty sure all three will wind up on the bracelet eventually. I mean, I really *love* the look and style of the bezel millgrain bracelet, don't get me wrong- it's just that I finally have to admit that the AVC isn't the best fit for it, and I really ought to set those poor loose stones! (The AVC is just too big I think, hence the flippiness- smaller stones would for sure be better in that respect I think.)

I'll be interested to see what your DH comes up with in a five stone design- boy, I bet that was a shock :rolleyes: It's amazing the things they decide to gobsmack us with sometimes, I swear. Well, anyway, nothing wrong with a few extra diamonds on the finger!

Oh, and mom's doing somewhat better- slow recovery but she does have a whole crew of excellent therapists working with her and she might be cleared to drive again soon- great news, since it's killing her that she got a brand new car for the very first time a few months ago, and now she can't drive it!

Thanks! It's actually prettiest in the office lights at work I think - the metal is pinkest, and there's just something about the low colour stones - which works out well, all my other diamonds look like cr*p there :sun:

I think the OECs would make fantastic new bracelet buddies :appl: I see what you mean about the bigger one flipping W/ the smaller stones it'll be less noticeable that they're upside down, too... I'm looking forward to seeing how your ring works out. And hearing what you think of the stone and metal combo! It looks like it *should* be gorgeous :appl:

Haha oh yeah. I'll be starting a thread on that later today, I think.

Glad to hear your mum is recovering! And very glad to hear she's well enough to complain that she can't drive her brand new car :bigsmile:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results