shape
carat
color
clarity

What metal colour for setting "Lagoon" J.White Indicolite?

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Hellooo everyone!!

Firstly, I just want to say a big warm Hey :wavey: to everyone; and then an even bigger Thank you ::) to all the members and old mates who have made me feel so easily welcomed back 'in to the game' (over on FB) - cheers kindly to you all for being so welcoming and reminding me why I will always have lots of love for this resource, community & especially group of people - I have missed you guys, for reals! !

To all the folks I am yet to meet, Hello! :wavey: I tend to go by AJ around these parts, and I am a certified Gem & Jewellery addict - I am zero days sober :rodent:
Very quickly: I was pretty active on PS for some time, until I took a hiatus for the past few years, so this is my first post in a looong time.
I look forward to re-connecting with so many of you and getting to know all the great new members who have become part of this community whilst I've been practising my abstinence ;))

Ok, so enough with the sappy stuff, now on to the goods!

I am keen to please know people's opinions on what metal you would use to set this gem and why? (original thread over here https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-jeff-white-gamata-blue-tourmaline.150091/

This is what I can only describe as a Lagoon coloured blue-green tourmaline, of course expertly & beautifully faceted by The Mr Jeff White...If you're interested in that stuff, it is: 2.13ct; 7.6mm (8.9mm corner to corner), untreated of Afghan origin, and cutting design was a custom one Jeff created for this material - a cut-corner square cushion with a chevron type pavilion (but you can see all that ;))

I do have my opinion of course, which I'll keep to myself for just now, as I'd rather hear other people's suggestions, as you are all way more up to date on what is Good, has been happening, what designers are about doing interesting things (anyone new / standout on Etsy?) ..and so on...

I haven't spent really any time yet figuring how to set this gem, as it is admittedly one of the pride of my humble collection and I didn't want to rush it...
So I would enjoy my first thread back to be a 'group-think' setting hunt / project , if you will all kindly indulge me!? ::)

It's good to be back! AJ xo

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Re: What metal colour for setting "Lagoon" J.White Indicolit

The tourmaline in question, Gamata blue:

_18959.jpg

tml099_20aj_20gamata.jpg

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock

I apologise as I only have recycled photos to offer - I know, Bad AJ! :nono: I don't like the camera on my current phone.. however perhaps I will attempt a photo shoot next to some different colour metals later in the week..

t11.jpg

_18961.jpg

_18962.jpg

_18963.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Well, however you set it, I really love how it looks in this position.

t11.jpg

Many people set cushions or other square cuts the regular way, including myself, and this is a bit more visually interesting. Good luck.

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock

Welcome back AJ!!!
We've missed you.

Your tourmaline is spectacular. I never say this, but PLATINUM!

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock

Hey, AJ! You didn't go away so long that I don't remember you. Welcome back!

That indicolite is so beautiful & well-saturated & gorgeously cut that it would be stunning in any color of metal, imo. My first thought would be rose gold because it brings out blue so well. Buttery high-carat yellow would also be good -- the contrast between it & the stone would set it off well. I'm not normally a fan of white metals, which to me don't say much with a gem, but platinum or white gold would also be great with it.

How's that for not much help? Nothing you put that beauty in would hurt it, if you ask me!

--- Laurie

LoversKites

Brilliant_Rock

Hello AJ, good to meet you :wavey:

I agree with JF that any colour metal would suit a stone so gorgeous but I think rose gold would be my choice.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Great to see you back, AJ!

I think the tourmaline will look great in any metal colour so it's basically about what colour you want to play up. If you want more blue, choose rose gold. If you want more green, go with yellow good. A white metal is neutral and will show what you see right now.

bcavitt

Shiny_Rock
Trade

Happy to meet you AJ!

A big +1 to rose gold! Although I must admit that the idea of platinum intrigues me.

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock

VapidLapid|1402154561|3688411 said:
Welcome back AJ!!!
We've missed you.

Your tourmaline is spectacular. I never say this, but PLATINUM!

Hey VL!! Thank you for the warm welcome!! :appl:

You never say platinum hey? Ok, well that makes things interesting..I'm actually the same. Plat has never been my first choice, but so far it is what has occurred to me with this tourm...maybe its the watery colours?

JewelFreak said:
Hey, AJ! You didn't go away so long that I don't remember you. Welcome back!

That indicolite is so beautiful & well-saturated & gorgeously cut that it would be stunning in any color of metal, imo. My first thought would be rose gold because it brings out blue so well. Buttery high-carat yellow would also be good -- the contrast between it & the stone would set it off well. I'm not normally a fan of white metals, which to me don't say much with a gem, but platinum or white gold would also be great with it.

How's that for not much help? Nothing you put that beauty in would hurt it, if you ask me!

--- Laurie

Hi Laurie, cheers for not forgetting me! Although it has been I think around 3-4+ yrs, so I wouldn't have blamed if you did!
I agree with your first sentence, that it is such a nice stone, thanks to Jeff's great cutting and those magical colours..maybe I should dress it in a brown paper bag, ha ;P
I've usually been quick to rush into setting both gems & diamonds, but for some reason inspiration hasn't taken hold here..Or perhaps I've been waiting until I 'know it when I see it", yanno?
ooh, I can never say no to high kt YG - do you think that the yellow would effect the colours much (i.e. bring out more green?), or you just think it will make for a great contrast?

Cheers for your input!

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock

Wow - I am genuinely surprised at all the enthusiasm for Rose Gold - and me, being of the high KT RG engagement ring, I had dead set not considered this option at all! TBH, I was a bit stuck in thinking only a white metal would work (and I'm not fond of WG, therefore silver or plat)..hence why I wanted the opinions of you good folks.

I genuinely Can not picture how RG would effect the colours..if at all? Or perhaps it is just a bit late here!
For now I must be heading to bed -( for those folks whom I haven't met before, I don't have narcolepsy, I'm an Australian) ;))

However, please keep the metal comments and ANY setting suggestions, pictures or designers coming...If J Meyer weren't retired, I would love to be able to send this one his way...
I don't currently own any tourmaline rings..what is the general consensus on setting style for safety and wearability with a tourm that you really care for? Bezel vs Prongs?

Night for now guys, and its fun to be back!! :snore:

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock

AJ, try putting the stone next to (or on) a copper coin to get an idea how you'd like RG; that will get you sort of close. It should emphasize the blue. Yellow gold would make it show a little more green.

If it were mine, I'd go for a prong setting to allow as much light into the stone as possible since indicolites tend to be dark-ish, though yours is an absolute star, thanks to Jeff's magic. I assume you aren't planning it as an everyday wear ring? I just can't believe the hues that puppy shows!

--- Laurie

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock

Welcome back.

I would do rose gold if you want to bring out the blue and want a ring that looks warm. Platinum or white gold if you want a colder look.

In any case, I think the stone will look beautiful.

EDIT: I just read the other posts. There's been a surge of rose gold in the last 2 years when you were on hiatus. PSers have been using it with mint green stones to emphasize the blue, and keep greens from looking yellowish. It's also been popular for light blue stones like aquamarines, again to emphasize the blue in them.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Another masterpiece from JW! When I was looking for an Indicolite as a gift from Jeff, I cited the colour of the OP's stone as the one I would like to have.

I would opt for white metal myself, however, that's personal choice as I do not like yellow or rose gold.

And welcome back.

DK :))

velouriaL

Brilliant_Rock

My first thought was high karat yellow gold. I always love rose gold and think that might look nice, too.

klewis

Brilliant_Rock

Hi AJ :wavey: it's been such a long time! A couple of months ago I spent some time with Mike R gawking at their awesome jewels.
I asked after you then.

The tourmaline ring that Mike made for me is platinum with a gold bezel, a combination that works well. There's still some warmth with the yellow gold. I've worn that ring regularly for years and was very apprehensive about the damage I'd see when Mike put the ring under the macro camera, but there was barely a mark on the stone although there was a dent in the bezel, so at some point the bezel did a great job of protecting the stone. So I'm suggesting platinum with some YG somewhere to add some warmth to the look.

So good to see your tourmaline again - it is gorgeous!.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock

klewis|1402341379|3689573 said:
Hi AJ :wavey: it's been such a long time! A couple of months ago I spent some time with Mike R gawking at their awesome jewels.
I asked after you then.

The tourmaline ring that Mike made for me is platinum with a gold bezel, a combination that works well. There's still some warmth with the yellow gold. I've worn that ring regularly for years and was very apprehensive about the damage I'd see when Mike put the ring under the macro camera, but there was barely a mark on the stone although there was a dent in the bezel, so at some point the bezel did a great job of protecting the stone. So I'm suggesting platinum with some YG somewhere to add some warmth to the look.

You're a dude, right klewis? If so, you should be relatively safe.

I'd do plat or rose gold, AJ.

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock

Thank you all for your comments and please excuse my being a bit slower to respond as I have exams just now..

TL|1402152584|3688403 said:
Well, however you set it, I really love how it looks in this position.

t11.jpg

Many people set cushions or other square cuts the regular way, including myself, and this is a bit more visually interesting. Good luck.

Ah, TL lovey! My apologies, I passed over initially, thinking your post was one of my own due to the pic, please excuse my faux pas! :sick:

I completely agree with you - I'm not usually a 'kite setting' style fan, however there is something in the facet pattern that makes this one just work, maybe even work nicer than the standard way, and I had admired that previously about this pic too - although admittedly that hadn't really translated into serious thoughts to set it this way.

Thank you for your comments, and I will definitely have whomever I go to for setting consider designing something around this angle.

Actually, just by turning the cushion this way makes the "challenge of coming up with something unique" already addressed (which I am always personally want to do, for whatever reason, usually to my budget's dismay, ha!) ..
I could see this now actually, in quite a simple bezel, maybe two tone ( rose gold polished head), with a thicker plat domed type shank in a brushed finish..Maybe a couple tiny scattered burnish set melee in the top of the shank..?

What do you reckon, TL & any other posters..? Any opinions, would two tone be too much with all the colour going on in the gem itself? And does this tourmaline need a simple or a more elaborate setting? (pictures or links to your current favoured custom vendors welcome - if its ok I won't say a budget yet so as not to limit ideas, as inspiration for design can always be drawn from something more expensive ::)

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock

I would be afraid to use gold or anything that might modify (interfere) with the stone's color. That said, it is hard to go wrong with a flora inspired setting, with the gold on the shank and white prongs.

flora.png

flora1.png

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock

klewis|1402341379|3689573 said:
I asked after you then.

K!! So happy that you posted :wavey: How have you been all this time, my brother from another land? :rodent:

bwa ha ha ha...you won't believe me, however I swear, that description of a ring proposal I just posted above, was before I had seen that you had joined the thread, and reminded me of your amazing ring!!! I hope you don't mind, I'm going to post pics here for those that haven't had the benefit of seeing this beauty yet!

As you well know, your incredible tourmalines set off my lust for one of a similar colour - and I still badly want a J Dyer trillion!

Yes, I think Mike mentioned having seen you when we last emailed a while back..I am always envious you get to visit those collections in person..That is fantastic to know that your tourmaline has remained unharmed. That bezel is certainly the perfect balance between masculine elegance and just enough boldness. Do you wear it daily?
And, most important question of course - any new projects or exciting gem purchases that I've missed out on??
Great to hear from you again K, we should catch up via email or FB too, if you have the time ::)

klewis_kickass_rdg.jpg

klewis_kickass_ring.jpg

LoversKites

Brilliant_Rock

Klewis, your ring is magnificent.

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock

JewelFreak|1402170399|3688548 said:
AJ, try putting the stone next to (or on) a copper coin to get an idea how you'd like RG; that will get you sort of close. It should emphasize the blue. Yellow gold would make it show a little more green.

If it were mine, I'd go for a prong setting to allow as much light into the stone as possible since indicolites tend to be dark-ish, though yours is an absolute star, thanks to Jeff's magic. I assume you aren't planning it as an everyday wear ring? I just can't believe the hues that puppy shows!

--- Laurie

Thanks Laurie! I am actually an RG lover from way back, so I've got out a few of the pieces to sit the stone next to..Unfortunately, being wintery & windy this week it's not good photo conditions..However, seeing Klewis' gorgeous ring again (above) is certainly convincing that two tone is a very tempting option. Of course, my gem only glows like that trillion on occasion and not all the time, however it seems to be the common wisdom amongst you guys these days that RG is the way to go to enhance blue, and I know you guys wouldn't lead me astray :D
Good point about the prongs, as I would love to see that bright glow look as often as possible. I can confirm that this indicolite doesn't know the word dark, luckily for me! Even inside my apartment, in the draw, in winter, it looks blue and doesn't 'black out'..Jeff is certainly a wizard, and I was lucky enough that I happened to be asking after this colour in the weeks/months before it came along ::) (JW recently mentioned to me, that despite trying, he hasn't been able to get his hands on any more, so it is my little treasure), hence the wait for setting inspiration to really hit! And to answer your question, nope - it would be an 'alternative e-ring' or maybe middle finger I think, just because I've found I don't like to wear really more than one 'statement' ring at once.(i.e. maybe only my chunky e-ring and a few low key stack bands at most). I would love to wear my e-ring and a statement RHR in colour - however, I've had RHR's made in the past and found they've always migrated over to the left eventually anyway! Less chance of clumsy damage over there too ;-)

If anyone has a blue-green (or blue or green) stone in a RG setting they would care to share in this thread, I would love to see it, and hopefully others can refer here if there isn't already a 'collective thread' for such projects?

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock

LoversKites|1402420723|3690165 said:
Klewis, your ring is magnificent.

And a huge plus one to this!! Thanks to Klewis, myself and the members of PS were introduced to the talents of the Robinson Designer Goldsmith team...a worthy quality bench discovery if ever there was one! (and thanks to Klewis, I became hypnotised by such lovely tourmalines - an addiction, too, ha ha :devil: )

VapidLapid said:
I would be afraid to use gold or anything that might modify (interfere) with the stone's color. That said, it is hard to go wrong with a flora inspired setting, with the gold on the shank and white prongs.

VL, thank you so much for reminding me of this one of a kind setting. It has always been a steadfast favourite, it was originally the inspiration for my OEC e-ring design,( before we moved in pretty much the opposite direction!), I will always love it's lines and grace.
I feel like something similar, perhaps with the cushion set kite fashion, would be quite reminiscent of a unique blue flower blooming..and those subtle additions of just the few side diamonds would keep costs down. I know my favoured bench will be completely capable of metal work like this. Something I am still to own, despite also having lusted after for many years, is anything in the style of Van Craeynest. I feel that the Flora could be combined with some VC inspiration to come up with something very natural / organic feeling and elegant.

A question VL - with its rather modern facet style, do you feel my gem would be a good suit to the style I've described...? Or perhaps I need to think of a way to 'modernise' these floral concepts, if that makes sense..?

Thank you again for your suggestion, and please excuse the question as I'm almost ashamed to ask! (I have recently upgraded laptops due to a HD crash and no longer have any of my jewellery files & links collected over the years - admittedly, quite an upsetting loss as they included works in progress, projects long since forgotten etc :blackeye: ) - if you can kindly remind, which is the website / jeweller for the Flora again please?

Something that just struck me - has anyone used Green Gold to set a blue green gem?? I admittedly have wanted to use it as an accent (not for the majority of a piece though) in the past, but never found the right application...perhaps this is it, although how would it effect the stone's colour, do you think?

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock

pregcurious|1402178088|3688596 said:
Welcome back.

I would do rose gold if you want to bring out the blue and want a ring that looks warm. Platinum or white gold if you want a colder look.

In any case, I think the stone will look beautiful.

EDIT: I just read the other posts. There's been a surge of rose gold in the last 2 years when you were on hiatus. PSers have been using it with mint green stones to emphasize the blue, and keep greens from looking yellowish. It's also been popular for light blue stones like aquamarines, again to emphasize the blue in them.

Thank you pregcurious for the welcome and comments (my keyboard wants to correct you to precarious ;-)

Yes, I do recall that trend starting before I left of minty green stones in RG. I recall being mixed about it at the time, but clearly it must work, and I saw a couple pieces I think in the GTG photos which looked pretty.

What do you think of say plat and green gold accents?

velouriaL said:
My first thought was high karat yellow gold. I always love rose gold and think that might look nice, too.

Hi velourial, I like this idea too. As much as I am intrigued about the possibility of RG bringing out the blue, fact is my most recent 'important' project was in high kt rose gold, so I think I'm not feeling it one hundred per cent, solely for the need for something different, you know? And I can never turn down buttery YG! I really love the custom brushed finishes that lovely Erika Winters has been doing on her line of rings, it brings an added dimension of warmth to the YG:

And as we can see with Klewis' gem of a blue tourm (ha at my silly pun :rodent: ), the contrast is striking and I don't think detrimental at all to the colour (although admittedly his is quite significantly brighter all the time I believe, where as mine glows like that about a third of the time as is has more green).

Any opinion on green gold? I believe in 18k it is only subtly different to yellow, sometimes only noticeable to the wearer..I recall James Meyer using it to lovely effect in two tone pieces, however you really don't see it much. IIRC, I believe that RDG can mix their own alloys tailor-made, so it may be possible to request a very warm green, only a shade or two away from 18k YG...

erika-winters-design-alexandra-halo-side.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Having toyed around with the use of green gold for 2 different projects, I found that green gold looks mostly like a colder version of yellow gold, with the green colouration only obvious if placed next to yellow gold.

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock

Chrono|1402426913|3690227 said:
Having toyed around with the use of green gold for 2 different projects, I found that green gold looks mostly like a colder version of yellow gold, with the green colouration only obvious if placed next to yellow gold.

Thank you C for your input..When you say 'toyed around', did you complete a piece with Green Gold? If so, what colour gem(s) did it hold?
Having had some experience with it, what would your opinion be for this stone..perhaps the 'cooler' tone would work well to enhance the coolness of the blues & greens..? I must admit, my last few projects I've been all apart the warmth - of OEC's, of high kt yellow and rose gold, of warmer AVC's and so on..perhaps I'm feeling like a cooler change? :naughty: However, then I look at Erika or Meyer's high kt YG pieces and, well, swoon!

I thought I would post this image as this ring in the current James Meyer gallery features an indicolite, and the bezel is 22kt...I'm thinking based on this and Klewis' examples, high kt YG close to the tourm is surprisingly complimentary - appears to create an attractive contrast rather than detract from the blue at all. (How I wish that James still accepted outside stones!)

jm_indicolite_22k_yg_bezel.png

1422b-e1381145504160.jpg

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock

Hey Freke, thanks for your opinion.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

AJ,
I went with high kt yellow gold in the end because it looked best with the gems I have. As for the "safe" comment, look out for my PM elsewhere.

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock

Chrono|1402430022|3690265 said:
AJ,
I went with high kt yellow gold in the end because it looked best with the gems I have. As for the "safe" comment, look out for my PM elsewhere.

Gotcha, thank you for that. Edited above to keep thread on track.

swissmiss

Shiny_Rock

Like others, I would go for rose gold or platinum. It kind of depends on what type of look you want to go tor.

GORGEOUS stone, by the way! It will look fabulous whatever you do with it.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results