shape
carat
color
clarity

My Jeff White, Gamata blue tourmaline

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
I am really ecstatic to be able to post this thread :D

Since I started buying CS seriously, I have always been after 'just the right colour' of blue-green tourmaline, but no matter who I emailed the rough was just never available.
After about a year of looking, I decided to go with something in a different blue instead and ordered my sapphire from JW.
When I decided to start looking again on a whim a couple months ago, Jeff was one of the first I emailed - and to my very pleasant surprise he had just gotten in a parcel of my ideal colour tourms; the rough is from the Afghan Gamata mine.
After some discussion back and forth on the size and design, I chose to go with a new cushion cut Jeff had developed for this material, in the largest size that was available, and the results can be seen below.

As always, Jeff was a complete pleasure to work with from start to finish, and thanks to him I now have my dream stone - cheers Jeff! :wavey:

Vitals:
2.13ct
7.6mm (8.9mm corner to corner)
Treatments - none known
Origin - Afghanistan's Gamata deposit
The design is a cut-corner square cushion, featuring a chevron-style pavilion.

As always, Jeff's photos are extremely accurate colour-wise and portray just what I see in real life.
I am very please to report that, unlike some other indicolite, this gem has very little extinction and maintains looking attractive in pretty much any lighting. ::)

TML099Rough.jpg

SSTcushions2.jpg

TML099 aj gamata.jpg

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
On to my pics..

the colour of this gem, as soon as I opened the package reminded me of the waters of a tropical lagoon somewhere in Thailand..made we want to go on holiday again :!:

It has two different 'faces' which have come out in these photos, both represent what I see in real life in diffused sun..

what I call the lagoon colour:

t.seven.JPG

t1.JPG

t.three.JPG

t.five.JPG

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
and this more neon colour:

t11.JPG

t.nine.JPG

t.two.JPG

t.one.JPG

Zzz

Rough_Rock
Trade
the colour is just gorgeous!!!
it's a really nice cut too.
but oooh the colour!! :love:

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
couple handshots..

(please excuse the relatively safe/repetitive pics - I was waaayy too paranoid about dropping this puppy to get too adventurous with photos!) ::)

h7.JPG

h6.JPG

h3.JPG

h2.JPG

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
few more random shots, thanks in advance for looking! :wavey:

t10.JPG

t21.JPG

t.eight.JPG

h1.JPG

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Zzz said:
the colour is just gorgeous!!!
it's a really nice cut too.
but oooh the colour!! :love:

Hi Zzz, thanks!
I agree with you, Jeff's cuts are incredible and I especially love this one, but the colour of this material is what really stands out.

Gempassion

Shiny_Rock
That color is soooo beautiful. Congrats on finding what you've been after!

klewis

Brilliant_Rock
Congratulations AJ, your tourmaline is beautiful. I wonder if Jeff has more of this rough?
I guess your thinking of building it a home?? :devil:

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Gempassion said:
That color is soooo beautiful. Congrats on finding what you've been after!

Thank you gempassion! I must admit it was a very rewarding gem to finally own. :appl:

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
klewis said:
Congratulations AJ, your tourmaline is beautiful. I wonder if Jeff has more of this rough?
I guess your thinking of building it a home?? :devil:

Hullo K !

Thank you my friend, and your gorgeous tourmalines of course, in part re-ignited my drive to find my own - so thank you for that too ::)

I hate to burst the bubble of anyone planning on inquiring, but Jeff has advised me every last piece of the parcel is spoken for :(sad
Rather surprising, considering he never even announced the rough publicly..I think if I had known just how pretty it would turn out, I likely would have reserved a second piece!

Why of course, this one is too nice not to set imho..any suggestions, or would you like to hear mine? :saint: :bigsmile:

iLander

Ideal_Rock
WOW! OOOOOOOOOHH! :cheeky: SO nice! :love:

That is stunning! Very beautiful! :appl:

I would just do a solitaire, that stone can stand on it's own in white gold. But what's your idea?

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
That's a stunning stone, just gorgeous! What a great find.

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
iLander said:
WOW! OOOOOOOOOHH! :cheeky: SO nice! :love:

That is stunning! Very beautiful! :appl:

I would just do a solitaire, that stone can stand on it's own in white gold. But what's your idea?

Hey ilander, thanks lovey!

It's not my idea so I won't take the credit, but the excellent NZ jewellers (RDG) who made Klewis' neon tourmaline ring (and have just finished an OEC ring for me), had a really unique suggestion that I immediately loved.

My goldsmith, Mike, suggested "just the right shade of purple" as side-stones in a 3 stone..and I immediately thought of this really pretty purple-violet spinel that I purchased from Gene a while back (this particular gem is being set in something else, but I'm going to seek out something as close as possible colour-wise).
The combo may be a little 'out there' and not for everyone's tastes, but I'm wild about it, and I know RDG are one place that could really pull it off ::)

Mike is doing up some drawings in the next couple days..I'll update if you like, when we have something more concrete decided.

gamata tourm plus purple spinel.jpg

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Kismet said:
That's a stunning stone, just gorgeous! What a great find.

cheers kismet, I'm really excited about it...I can't help but sneak a peek each time I walk past my jewellery box :D

Largosmom

Brilliant_Rock
Very very nice stone, love both the color moods and the cut! I think it will make an awesome ring. :love:

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
AJ, breathtaking color, I could hardly breathe when I saw it. My dream gem! The cut is equally wonderful & brings it out so beautifully. Congratulations, she said, turning green!

--- Laurie

kelpie

Ideal_Rock
It's amazing! I can't wait to see it set!

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow I just love that color :love:

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
Congrats AJ! What a truly rare stone, and a fantastic size to boot - loved the photos too, as usual! Looking forward to seeing your design come to fruition.

cemrn

Brilliant_Rock
I am in awe of that stone. It is gorgeous!!!

AustenNut

Brilliant_Rock
What a beautiful stone! I love the color and I'm so glad you were able to find what you wanted. Looking forward to seeing it set!

Aoife

Brilliant_Rock
That is one of the most breathtaking colors I've seen in a tourmaline, and of course, Jeff White's cutting is wonderful. A beautiful, beautiful stone. Congratulations!

I'm sorry if I missed it in one of your responses, but what color gold were you thinking about using with this and the purple sidestones? I was having a little trouble concentrating on the text, I was so distracted by the gorgeosity of the tourmaline!

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a lovely and unique stone!!

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
What a stunning stone. Gorgeous. This will make a beautiful piece, and I am all for the idea of a three-stone with colored sides. :tongue:

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
:love: I don't even know what to say, AJ! Well, I said some stuff as I scrolled down but I don't think I best post what I said. It's just overwhelming, the beauty.

Do you have your oec ring back yet? What are you doing w/the oval spinel that I also love so much?

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
Molto fantastico!!

purplemelody

Rough_Rock
The colour is absolutely breathtaking!!! Makes me want to dive in and swim. :razz:

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Stunning color :love:

I'm being convinced I should have a jeff white stone :naughty:

-A

alene

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
What a beautiful stone! Can't wait to see it set!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results