shape
carat
color
clarity

What makes a diamond valuable? The 4 Cs? Really?

Paul-Antwerp

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I am hoping some of you make it to the end of my post below. In some ways it may be the most important post I can offer from my chair here in the world’s diamond capital.

What makes a diamond valuable?

Research online and walk into any jewelry-store and everybody, everywhere mimics the same answers: “The value of a diamond is determined by the 4 Cs: Color, Clarity, Carat-weight and Cut.”

Really? Were those things what you were excited about when first imagining your dream diamond? Or were you only introduced to concepts like VS/VVS and D/E color by some jeweler or tutorial?

We must ask, where did the 4Cs notion originate? Easy. The sales and marketing of diamonds was dominated by De Beers’ for over a century. And remember that De Beers’ main business is rough diamonds. As a result, the company dominating the marketing of diamonds was most interested in maximizing the value of their own rough diamonds. They were unconcerned with what came after.

And indeed, miners today still sort their output with Color, Clarity and Carat-yield foremost in mind. By the way, did you know that for miners “Cut” has nothing to do with sparkle? It refers to shape. So it’s no coincidence that for a long time, and still now, many professionals still refer to shape as cut. And it is no coincidence that many labs (including GIA until 2006) did not even bother to grade cut-quality. And it is no coincidence that the biggest labs continue to give the miners wide latitude with their so-called “cut” grades.

We must then ask: Is the current 4Cs method of valuation valid? Clearly it is from the point of the miners. But is it valid from the point of view of consumers?

If we follow the marketing of the past century it would seem to be. Most diamond sellers (online and showroom) continue to educate clients that value is primarily based on graduating color, clarity and carat-weight. They continue to educate that a diamond some miners sold as VVS1 rough has more value than a diamond they sold as VVS2 rough. That E has more value than F.

How does that translate to consumers though?

With color, every one-grade-up means a price increase of 8-10%. But who can really see the difference? Color-grading is a continuous discussion-point between traders and very rarely do 4 professionals arrive at the same conclusion about the color of a finished stone. But for the miners who sell rough before it’s ever cut, having this system brings millions in profits when they sell something they can argue to be “D” rather than “E” or “F” (etc.), regardless of the fact that several colors may look practically the same when mounted and sold to consumers.

With clarity, even more-so. Each clarity-grade up represents a price increase of 10%. Yet there are 7 grades which may be eye-clean. For the top 3 most professionals need a microscope to determine it, and they may argue about the final grade. But by using this system the miners increase their own profits by millions of dollars for incremental differences that make no visible difference to consumers. And because of a century of marketing, jewelers and consumers swallow the idea there should be some premium for VVS1 over VVS2.

I must ask: If we just discovered diamonds today, and you were asked to design a valuation system, would you vote to pay for 7 steps of price increases between diamonds that look practically the same when mounted and sold?

Carat weight requires a bit more attention. A given rough diamond can, for instance, yield a reasonable cut-quality 1.00 carat diamond or a fantastic cut-quality 0.92 carat. In nearly all cases the 1.00 will fetch a better total price. This is due to weight based price increases that come with marketing perceptions: 1.00 carat is “better” than 0.92. The success of that marketing even drives up the price of that rough. The miners will say “We know you can make 1.00 carat from this rough” and will uphold such a price. They don’t care about diameter, or edge-to-edge brightness possible if the rough were crafted into a fantastic 0.92 carat diamond instead. There is no consideration for sparkle or optical precision which might come later. The miners just say “We know you can make 1.00 carat GIA EX from this” and uphold the price.

Indeed, where is Cut-quality in this? Barely anywhere. The “quality” aspect has only recently begun to take the position of the 4th C. For many pros the word cut still means shape, not Cut-quality. In fact shape is still the 4th C for fancy shaped diamonds, since labs do not grade their Cut-quality.

The grading-systems are probably the most telling. GIA, being the most influential, has a top “Excellent” grade for round brilliants which 60% of the diamonds they grade will fetch. We all know how many different looks and performances can be graded GIA “EX,” easily seen with the naked eye. But in comparison the 5 top-grades in Color and in Clarity are close to impossible to tell apart with the naked eye.

Is this in-line with your first notions? When you first determined to buy a diamond, what aspects did you imagine? What brought you joy when you pictured it in your mind?

Given that the joy for most consumers, purchasing and/or wearing a diamond, is directly related to what they can see, I totally disagree with the notion that the value of a diamond is determined by the 4 Cs. I find that system of arguable nuance to be century-old brainwashing by DeBeers’ and the miners. In fact, whomever follows the 4 Cs as a determiner of value should understand that they are essentially buying a rough diamond, not a polished diamond.

I understand this post might be provocative. I am hoping that it may serve as the beginning of an interesting discussion.

Live long,

AV_

Ideal_Rock

Good question... What was I thinking! Weight was obviously the simplest way to talk about the value of these little things, knowing nothing - just a way of speaking.

Diamonds are enjoyable withought the worries of buying.

Last edited:

Katya DXB

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I feel that the sentimental aspect is missing in this value assessment. The joy of buying/receiving/owning a diamond does not solely relate to the perceived beauty of that diamond. I can see many flaws in some of my stones but it doesn’t make them less valuable to me. Yes, the color is noticeable when I compare them to others, I can see their tiny inclusions when I look really close up and they most certainly don’t sparkle as much as some others do. But they were all very special gifts from my dearly beloved, and that’s what brings me joy and makes them valuable.
Also, when I got my first diamond, I knew nothing about the 4Cs and I was just happy to
own one. It was not until I could compare it to other diamonds that I made shocking discoveries about how much its beauty was compromised lol!
That said, if I was buying for myself today, having spent a few years studying and learning and knowing what I know about diamonds now, best value for me would be in what I can see and appreciate. So cut, carat, color and clarity.

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I bolded the (to me) critical part of your question - "I must ask: If we just discovered diamonds today, and you were asked to design a valuation system, would you vote to pay for 7 steps of price increases between diamonds that look practically the same when mounted and sold?" - I don't know that I would have voted to pay for 7 steps of price increases (as opposed to, say, 6 or 9), but I would have voted for the price to accurately reflect perceptible and actual differences, which the market does for most items.

What something is made of, is the most basic way of assessing its comparative worth and value, intrinsic and monetary. Things that look practically the same but aren't ... are priced differently and valued differently by consumers ... because "practically the same" is not equivalent to "the same." And what you may regard as "looking practically the same" I may say "look at the difference in color or clarity or size or cut."

Consumers buying one of something versus consumer collectors or hobbyists have different buying priorities and rationales. Thinking someone buying a diamond is looking for joy is only one possible reason for a purchase, and I'm not even sure it would be the number one reason.

Just my 2 cents, off the cuff.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
This is one thing that has always bugged me, for a consumer the 4c's do not set the value they set the price.
The value is that is through clever marketing diamonds are a sign of love and that people intrinsically like shiny things which made the marketing work.
The value is the feelings they invoke because they have no intrinsic value.
The vast majority of men would never buy a diamond if it was not expected of them to do so.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
With that off my chest there is a lot of wisdom in Paul's words here and I dont disagree.
The pricing structure is an artificial system structured by the industry over decades of marketing.
Take a Flawless graded diamond and crank up the magnification to 100x and you will see all kinds of things in it.
Someone at some point set 10x as the arbitrary spot for grading.
More than likely it was based on what was available and portable at the time rather than anything scientific.

Last edited:

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
AFAIK the exchange/bestowal of property/things of worth have accompanied marriages since early times ... Marriage itself is full of meeting/exceeding partner and societal expectations ... I guess I don't get the point of this thread, because you could say the same thing about cotton, cotton in the rough, finished cotton, 300 thread cotton sheets versus 800 thread cotton sheets, Egyptian cotton, pima cotton ... practically the same thing, but not, and priced accordingly.

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
It is a very interesting discussion Paul. Thank you for providing some context.

Al Gilbertson reveals a foundational part of how this focus on carat weight became such an outsized part of the value perception (and has continued to be to this day) in his excellent book American Cut: The First Hundred Years. I would encourage everyone interested in diamonds to read this fascinating book, which the author has now available as a pdf for free. You can find it here:
https://archive.org/details/AmericanCut--theFirst100YearsTheEvolutionOfTheAmericanCutDiamond

Anyway, this obsession with carat weight (like Paul says) has NOTHING to do with beauty. The early cutters were given rough by the proprietors and they had to return a minimal yield in order not to be suspected of skimming, and the higher the yield the more valued the cutter was. This was all about protecting the merchants financial interest, and not at all in providing the greatest amount of beauty for the consumer.

This mindset among manufacturers was so strong that it pervades the market even today. But as consumers have recently been able to understand more about the relationship between cut quality and beauty, things have started to change. Will it take another hundred years before the mindset is fully in line with consumer benefits? Hopefully not, but maybe!

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
Cut-quality is a term that should replace "Cut" in the 4-C's, maybe. We have reexamined and reassessed almost every other thing (planets, coffee beans, software, passport controls, etc) with the advent of new technology. But diamond consumers don't usually have access to the scientific grading results of the stone they're being sold. Shouldn't they?

Reframing any sales offering (from used cars to diamonds to oil paintings) using real data removes hyperbole and shady practices, which would increase consumer confidence and spending, because of improved reputation of jewelers and diamond sellers. Can the industry adapt to honesty? Many business are ethical and honest and have earned a following for that trait. Will the others be willing to join?

For me, Pricescope is where I learned about diamonds; before discovering this site, I just liked Georgian and Victorian sparkly things with no other measurement in place. Just prettiness and romance. After reading here, and watching G.O.G.'s youtube channel where Rhino discusses optics, I understand better. Even old cuts still have metrics with which to weed out the junk from the gems. I do wish I had discovered this site before ever buying jewellery of any kind.

gm89uk

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Just wondering what is driving the price hike at 1, 1.5, 2, 3 etc.? Is it marketing to make more money from consumers, or demand from consumers leading the market, or a vicious cycle from both?

Obviously the price per carat is increasesd dramatically with higher carat, but why such a jump between 2.9 and 3? Wouldn't it much more sensible for everyone to have a linear logarithmic scale of price per carat so that 2 is a bit more than 1.9, which is a bit more than 1.8. That would rid of the great incentive to cut bad diamonds, and revenue on average I wouldn't imagine will change much, because the industry would charge more for 1.8 ct than the current model, but less for a 2 ct.

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
With regard to grading systems, there is logic a system that makes distinctions in quality beyond that which is obvious to the naked eye. Rarity is a legitimate factor.

As a natural gem with a difficult genesis, purity, color and size are all relevant to a determination of rarity. It's true that rarity alone is not a primary motivator for consumers. Otherwise everyone would want a gem alexandrite in their engagement ring!

But when you have to move tons of earth to find a diamond of a carat or more, miners certainly have every right to charge more for those stones that they find only infrequently. In fact, it would be irresponsible for them not to. And those of the rarest color and purity would likewise command a premium.

But downstream at the cutter level, not all one carat diamonds are created equal. Even those of the same color and purity. A precision cut one carat is not only rarer, but also much more beautiful. And likewise a premium is warranted.

The educated consumer has a big advantage today. If they are tuned in, they can acquire much more beautiful diamonds for the price of ordinary ones.

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Just wondering what is driving the price hike at 1, 1.5, 2, 3 etc.? Is it marketing to make more money from consumers, or demand from consumers leading the market, or a vicious cycle from both?

Obviously the price per carat is increasesd dramatically with higher carat, but why such a jump between 2.9 and 3? Wouldn't it much more sensible for everyone to have a linear logarithmic scale of price per carat so that 2 is a bit more than 1.9, which is a bit more than 1.8. That would rid of the great incentive to cut bad diamonds, and revenue on average I wouldn't imagine will change much, because the industry would charge more for 1.8 ct than the current model, but less for a 2 ct.
Indeed. And if diamonds were all cut for beauty, there would be a more linear relationship between size and price.

There is a bit of a 'tail wags the dog' aspect. In the age of Rappaport, manufacturers tend to price to the list rather than the list strictly reflecting the trading prices at the manufacturer level. This tends to reinforce and perpetuate the market's obsession with carat weight. And it encourages cutters to make compromises to beauty by saving weight, especially around the 'magic marks'.

Paul-Antwerp

Ideal_Rock
Trade
With regard to grading systems, there is logic a system that makes distinctions in quality beyond that which is obvious to the naked eye. Rarity is a legitimate factor.

As a natural gem with a difficult genesis, purity, color and size are all relevant to a determination of rarity. It's true that rarity alone is not a primary motivator for consumers. Otherwise everyone would want a gem alexandrite in their engagement ring!

But when you have to move tons of earth to find a diamond of a carat or more, miners certainly have every right to charge more for those stones that they find only infrequently. In fact, it would be irresponsible for them not to. And those of the rarest color and purity would likewise command a premium.

But downstream at the cutter level, not all one carat diamonds are created equal. Even those of the same color and purity. A precision cut one carat is not only rarer, but also much more beautiful. And likewise a premium is warranted.

The educated consumer has a big advantage today. If they are tuned in, they can acquire much more beautiful diamonds for the price of ordinary ones.

The rarity aspect, Bryan, is a weird aspect.

With regards to Color, most probably in the 1920's and 1930"s, when most rough diamonds came from South Africa, and 'Cape' did not only refer to the Cape-area but also to prevalent colors K and below, we could agree that more colorless diamonds were indeed rare, as opposed to the average 'cape'.

Today however, with almost 50% coming from Russia and Canada and almost nothing from the old Cape, the Color-scale has little relation to rarity. Production of DEF is probably a multifold of KLM today.

The same may be true about Clarity. Finding SI1 today is much harder than VVS2.

For miners however, after having moved tonnes of earth, selling a higher percentage for premium DEF or VVS-price is far more interesting. Are they possibly maintaining the connection to rarity because of their own interests? And who is best served by each minute difference in Color-shade or clarity bringing up a 10% price-difference?

Live long,

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can maybe see combining VVS, but I see VS1 to VS2 being a pretty broad range. So I don't think I'd want to combine those or SI1 and SI2.

That is interesting to know that you (Paul) think D-F and high clarity is really is plentiful and has no greater value than lower colors. I'd for sure like to have some if someone would change the pricing structure!

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is interesting to know that you (Paul) think D-F and high clarity is really is plentiful and has no greater value than lower colors. I'd for sure like to have some if someone would change the pricing structure!
IOW, Paul will sell me a D VVS2 for the same price as a G SI1.
yetanotherdancyguy.gif

JMK

Rough_Rock
Excellent post. Studying the history of demand-creation for diamonds and how it relates to every-day economic choices is a bit of a hobby of mine. I've got Al Gilbert's book in the top drawer of my nightstand.

Without the outstanding ad campaigns the Ayer agency produced for Debeer's over the decades, I think diamonds would have very little value to most consumers. There would not be awareness, sentiment, or expectations around diamonds as a representation of love. To further their brilliance, with their "a diamond is forever" campaign, they suppressed the second-hand diamond market. In America, and then Japan, they quickly created an expectation for a fairly common life event.

So, I think the "value" mainly comes down to the psychology of want. After we pass that gate, then it gets to relative comparisons of that want - bigger, brighter, clearer, flashier, more expensive (for some) - sometimes with the outcome viewed as a measure of the person's love or commitment.

For me, I do not want the most expensive diamond. I want the least expensive diamond that gives me what I want (which is mainly lively, chunky facets that I can see without my glasses). I currently wear a 7mm, 1.35 carat, I1 OEC. I'm not sure of the color, but I'm guessing around an H.

One aspect that isn't part of the 4Cs that I value highly is durability. Diamonds are something I can wear, enjoy, and (with the right setting) not worry about, and that is worth a lot to me.

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
JMK,
Great point about the durability. That is definitely a significant value aspect for a gemstone, especially one that is worn daily and subjected to wear and tear.

I used to be a colored gem trader specializing in sapphires. Even though corundum is 9 on the hardness scale (just below diamond), diamond is many, many times more durable. When a sapphire ring would come back for servicing even after a few months, it was expected that it would have scratches, chips, or abraded facet junctions. We see diamonds coming in every week that have been worn daily for well over a decade and rarely is there a single scratch. It's pretty remarkable really!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Durability is a big thing for me. I cringe when I see emerald or even pearl engagement rings. Any gemstone rings I have are worn only on special occasions, and definitely not daily. Diamonds are great for daily wear! Plus, not much can compare to the sparkle one sees at Walmart or Lowes, etc. with well cut diamonds. It makes my shopping just a little more pleasant as I push that cart and see my rings! :lol:

Almost everything has value assigned due to factors beyond the actual materials. Paintings are a good example. Handmade oriental rugs versus commercial carpet, another.

holeydonut

Shiny_Rock
I think most of the value inherent to diamonds is due to the demand society has placed on them as luxury items, not due to the physical attributes of the stone.

The the marketing efforts and society norms of diamonds in special occasions, seem to be the driver for the value, with the "4Cs" providing a common mechanism to try and quantify that value across millions of transactions.

I think if diamonds were discovered today, they wouldn't be any premium placed on them as luxury items or status symbols. While they are eye-catching in jewelry, there are many alternatives that could be used without the social stigma. For example, moissanite and CZ wouldn't be as burdened with the perception as "inferior" when used in jewelry versus diamonds.

Personally, I think diamonds are an interesting specimen of physics and light refraction... but nowhere near as valuable as what society has placed on them from a pragmatic perspective. But the status/requirement as a symbol is unparalleled. For its size and cost, there isn't another thing I can think of that is as symbolic as a diamond ring or diamond jewelry.

At least with cars, clothes, and houses there is a bit of pragmatism in the added luxury costs. High-end shoes are more comfortable, high end purses have better craftsmanship and materials. Bigger houses and faster cars are... bigger and faster. But a diamond growing from 6mm to 7mm in a jewelry setting doesn't have as much pragmatic value.

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
The rarity aspect, Bryan, is a weird aspect.

With regards to Color, most probably in the 1920's and 1930"s, when most rough diamonds came from South Africa, and 'Cape' did not only refer to the Cape-area but also to prevalent colors K and below, we could agree that more colorless diamonds were indeed rare, as opposed to the average 'cape'.

Today however, with almost 50% coming from Russia and Canada and almost nothing from the old Cape, the Color-scale has little relation to rarity. Production of DEF is probably a multifold of KLM today.

The same may be true about Clarity. Finding SI1 today is much harder than VVS2.

For miners however, after having moved tonnes of earth, selling a higher percentage for premium DEF or VVS-price is far more interesting. Are they possibly maintaining the connection to rarity because of their own interests? And who is best served by each minute difference in Color-shade or clarity bringing up a 10% price-difference?

Live long,

I am not certain about colors, even though Canada & Russia produce approx 50% of world production (volume), Canada which does average in the near colorless production range, Russia on the other hand produces a much more diversified mix which based on my experiences, all colors occupy their assortments.

Regarding clarity, I believe Paul’s assertion is based on current market demands and events and less on actual rarity.
For the last decade or so, demand for lower clarities (SI1 and below) has become sort of a norm. Most of the world demand today is in that range. (When only 10 yrs ago, some Eastern cultures preferred VS+ exclusively) There has been much less demands for VS+ qualities since 2008. Naturally it would be a harder task to find SI1’s presently, its the clarity grade in most demand I believe. Plus everyone is looking for those super smart SI’s :twisted:

EvaEvans

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Hmmm, what do you mean by CUT quality? The rate of cut in modern round brilliant diamonds? What about the non-standard shapes? What about the "modified" shapes that GIA does not rate? The invented rare shapes? The old cut treasures?
For me the cut is the LESS of all 4C! I have seen plenty of amazing diamond crystals spoiled to be cut to boring MRB shape. Ideal, Super Ideal...but always Modern Round Brilliant!
The Super Ideal cut just cover the imperfection of lower color/clarity, and improves the quality with existing higher color/clarity. However, the Super Ideal cut cannot substitute the natural quality of the diamond crystal.
When you first determined to buy a diamond, what aspects did you imagine? What brought you joy when you pictured it in your mind?
For me what mattes most is the shape! The shape is my first joy! Actually, the most important is the overall beauty of the diamond. But as we know, the beauty is always subjective!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think most of the value inherent to diamonds is due to the demand society has placed on them as luxury items, not due to the physical attributes of the stone.

The the marketing efforts and society norms of diamonds in special occasions, seem to be the driver for the value, with the "4Cs" providing a common mechanism to try and quantify that value across millions of transactions.

I think if diamonds were discovered today, they wouldn't be any premium placed on them as luxury items or status symbols. While they are eye-catching in jewelry, there are many alternatives that could be used without the social stigma. For example, moissanite and CZ wouldn't be as burdened with the perception as "inferior" when used in jewelry versus diamonds.

Personally, I think diamonds are an interesting specimen of physics and light refraction... but nowhere near as valuable as what society has placed on them from a pragmatic perspective. But the status/requirement as a symbol is unparalleled. For its size and cost, there isn't another thing I can think of that is as symbolic as a diamond ring or diamond jewelry.

At least with cars, clothes, and houses there is a bit of pragmatism in the added luxury costs. High-end shoes are more comfortable, high end purses have better craftsmanship and materials. Bigger houses and faster cars are... bigger and faster. But a diamond growing from 6mm to 7mm in a jewelry setting doesn't have as much pragmatic value.

Are you by chance a male? :lol: High end shoes may or may not be more comfortable. You can find a $100 pair of shoes that is perfectly comfortable, so there's no way you can justify the $1000 pair based on comfort. For the record, I don't personally desire/value $1000 pairs of shoes or $5000-20,000 purses. But I find a diamond much more pleasing than a CZ. It has better scintillation and fire and certainly is harder and more durable. A better comparison would be natural diamond versus lab grown diamond, but the latter are still sold at premium cost and the price is currently not appealing enough to make most turn to lab grown.

I understand that some men don't "get" the value in diamonds. I don't get some things that men enjoy. Bigger houses, expensive cars, and bigger diamonds are the same to me. None are necessary, but if one can comfortably afford them, why not?

Serg

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Screen Shot 2018-09-22 at 07.30.12.png

4 small low saturated squares in the central of chart are 4C( LABs grades).
Other squares are a diamond consumer needs.
There are big gap between that LABs Can grade( have technology, skills to do it) and that is important for consumers.

Katya DXB

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Screen Shot 2018-09-22 at 07.30.12.png

4 small low saturated squares in the central of chart are 4C( LABs grades).
Other squares are a diamond consumer needs.
There are big gap between that LABs Can grade( have technology, skills to do it) and that is important for consumers.

Very cool. Could probably also add something like ‘magic marks’ outside the Carat Weight square. In certain markets there’s a strong need to be able to say “This is a 1-2-3-etc carat diamond”, which for some consumers is more important than whether or not a diamond has a good spread for its weight.

Paul-Antwerp

Ideal_Rock
Trade
IOW, Paul will sell me a D VVS2 for the same price as a G SI1.
yetanotherdancyguy.gif

You know, DF, if I could, I gladly would. But I am also a victim of the century-old marketing of the miners.

The D-VVS2 that you wish will be sold to me, with the miners perfectly well knowing it will be a D-VVS2. And my cost of that rough stone will reflect that D-VVS2. In fact, when you are buying a D-VVS2, you are indirectly paying the miners for the D-VVS2, I am merely passing those funds through.

The funds staying with us is for the work of cutting. Here is something to think about: paying for the Cut-aspect of a diamond, you are paying for the weight cut away, not the weight that you receive.

Live long,

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I have long been a proponent of going beyond the traditional 4C's in order to explain market pricing and what actually constitutes the full spectrum of "Quality components" for each individual diamond .

An article on a system which has been in limited use for grading cut parameters beyond the 4C's was published in Rapaport Magazine in February 2008. For those of you with a few minutes, you might find much there which details some strategies of grading these issues. It was a real system that was created to make meaningful grading beyond the 4C's a reality. The resistance to change is very challenging, but this thread seems a good place to understand that this issue has been considered and addressed some years ago. Some of the terminology may now be a bit dated, but the topic which seems fresh here has been an ongoing presence for me since the mid 1980's. It takes time to build momentum.
https://www.diamonds.net/Magazine/Article.aspx?ArticleID =20496&RDRIssueID=22

AV_

Ideal_Rock

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have long been a proponent of going beyond the traditional 4C's in order to explain market pricing and what actually constitutes the full spectrum of "Quality components" for each individual diamond .

An article on a system which has been in limited use for grading cut parameters beyond the 4C's was published in Rapaport Magazine in February 2008. For those of you with a few minutes, you might find much there which details some strategies of grading these issues. It was a real system that was created to make meaningful grading beyond the 4C's a reality. The resistance to change is very challenging, but this thread seems a good place to understand that this issue has been considered and addressed some years ago. Some of the terminology may now be a bit dated, but the topic which seems fresh here has been an ongoing presence for me since the mid 1980's. It takes time to build momentum.
https://www.diamonds.net/Magazine/Article.aspx?ArticleID =20496&RDRIssueID=22

Boooo, access to read that article is only available for those with a subscription!

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Sorry about that. I don't want to have a copyright issue with them. However, the article details thoughts much in line with Serg on the additional elements which contribute to value, many of which are often not discussed and which are quite important to relative merits of one stone over another. In it I detailed a system for grading elements of Durability, Finish and Visual size which then are combined to create a single "DFS" grade from the best at "0" to the lowest grade of "5". Garry's more modern approach to measure surface area within the girdle and relate it to the weight of the diamond is a more modern and more correct method for visual size than the more simplistic one I used so many years ago, but that is progress. Once all the details, big and small, of the value quotient are taken into account, one ought to be able to really understand diamond quality and diamond pricing. The 4C's are core issues, but do not serve to fully describe diamond quality or individual relative values between stones.

Those participants who have Rapaport login capability can access the complete article. I hope some of you will take the opportunity to look back on some of the history of this topic.

Last edited:

Paul-Antwerp

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Many interesting subjects raised, but I have the impression that my point of the OP is not understood.

The marketing of diamonds and the attached description of value or validation of price has largely been controlled and steered by the miners of rough diamonds. Everywhere one goes, one of the first items of education on diamonds concerns the 4 C's.

My point is that this education and the grading-method largely serve the miners in the sense of the system maximizing their profits. Does it however serve the way a consumer experiences a diamond?

Live long,

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results