shape
carat
color
clarity

Blue Nile purchase: EC, 6 carat, I VVS1

Emeraldsaremyfavorite

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I am almost certain the Brian Gavin will be cut beautifully. It probably is not one of his signature emerald cuts as he hasn’t cut one over 3 carats yet. However, he is very picky and chooses beautifully cut stones. Regarding the black you see in your stone, it doesn’t matter what color it is, it could even be a D with excellent, excellent specs and it will still show black/leakage if it’s poorly cut. That is why you can’t go off certifications with emerald cuts. I hope that makes sense.

MrsKBP

Shiny_Rock
Okay, I spoke to Brian himself. He has invited us to come in and meet personally in order to see his black series patent pending emerald shape stones. He currently does not have any in the size we are looking but I suspect it won't be long before he finds a stone he can recut or if he can identify a rough diamond he can cut for us. If that can't happen then he said he'd help us look for one that would work. I'm sure it won't come to that...as long as I can be patient. This emerald thing is no joke. So much harder to find a gorgeous stone in this shape versus round. Patience is just not my virtue either. :cry:

Good news is his office is not far from us at all and by that I mean about 15-20 minutes. We are shooting for a meeting on Thursday since we fly to the Laver Cup on Friday for a weekend of tennis in Chicago!

It feels so strange not wearing a diamond ring and I never travel without an engagement ring so this will be a first in a long time! Not sure if I mentioned...I lost my ring. I took it off to wash hands and apply lotion...put it in my skirt pocket and forgot about it...and here we are.

MrsKBP

Shiny_Rock
I am almost certain the Brian Gavin will be cut beautifully. It probably is not one of his signature emerald cuts as he hasn’t cut one over 3 carats yet. However, he is very picky and chooses beautifully cut stones. Regarding the black you see in your stone, it doesn’t matter what color it is, it could even be a D with excellent, excellent specs and it will still show black/leakage if it’s poorly cut. That is why you can’t go off certifications with emerald cuts. I hope that makes sense.
You are right; it was not a signature; just a virtual stone on his website. We are trying to meet with him on Thursday if our schedules can align. I am excited to be working with a master diamond cutter such as himself! I did notice all of his blacks were smaller (<4 carat). I'm not familiar with AGS, just GIA so this is all an education for me. I've decided to not purchase the stone on Blue Nile. Brian said something my husband says to me all the time. If not this one, another will come along....and if we can truly find something exceptional then I will be thrilled. I saw his 810 signature line of settings and fell in love. If he can cut the stone then I see no reason to also have him make my setting. I love vintage and milgrain...not sure about the rose gold but if it's an option then I'd love that as well. I wear a platinum watch that I think the ring would look lovely against.

I was going to "settle" on downsizing and going with an F or G, VVS but after talking to Brian and learning that most the stones are cut for weight it opened my eyes. I am excited to see his cuts...

Last edited:

MrsKBP

Shiny_Rock

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@MrsKBP this is a nice update. Have fun when you visit BGD and get to play with their lovely stones :)

I just wanted to make a note regarding your lost ring. I am sorry to hear that the ring is now gone. I went though something similar a few years ago and it was certainly not a pleasant experience, but I am sure that the next stone that you have will be gorgeous. I know it is hard, but try to take your time with it. It is an important decision and after losing your stone, you deserve to have a beautiful diamond, not a subpar stone ;-)

MrsKBP

Shiny_Rock
This is a great calculation device to help you understand your measurements, and what it potentially will look like on your finger....
You can even use this for comparison purposes, if you find others you like, and you are trying to eliminate one over the other.
As for your questions about color & l x w ratio, that is all personal preference.
Have you seen EC’s in person to know if you are color sensitive, up to a specific threshold? Step cuts tend to show more body color than brilliants. GIA H v GIA I should show minimal difference. However, a GIA G v GIA I will be more noticeable.

Honestly, you need to find out what the return policy is from this vendor. The best way to know for certain is to view this stone in person, in as many light environments as possible to determine if it suits your tastes & expectations. If it does...YAY! If not, send it back & start over, knowing where your color sensitivity is.

My sweet spot for EC’s l x w ratio is 1.35-1.50:1. You have to decide yours. **edited by moderator, no linking to affiliate sites**

I love the look of 1.30-1.45 versus elongated. Probably because I adore Asscher but have decided against it. I imagine that if the emerald is cut for weight and I'm having a hard time finding the right stone that it would really be hard in the Asscher.

Emeraldsaremyfavorite

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Great news! I would bet Brian will find you a stone rather than cut you one. Only because sourcing a 5-6 carat rough stone... which actually would have to be 10-12 rough, would take a VERY long time. AGS is great, and Brian will make sure all the specs are great. You are in good hands with him. Again, if you want larger, I think a well cut I can look very white. So lots of options! I adore the 1:3 ratio. Take a look at @Blingalingaling she just finished her over 6ct EC and it’s ratio is 1:3. Good visual for you.

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Okay, I have made contact with Brian Gavin Diamonds (Jamie). I've sent the info on the stone I picked out and also told her that I would go down in size and perhaps should stick to G-H. So maybe we can find something in the 5.00-5.50 carat range that looks gorgeous. I did find a stone on their site that was 5.5 carat, G, VS2, Excellent polish but only VG symmetry. It didn't have a photo so....

Waiting to hear back from them.

Is the BGD price already with their "cut" included? Or it is what is listed online with an additional "bump" in price?

VG symm is acceptable for a fancy cut diamond that is not graded by AGS. BGD have the only ID/AGS grades EC’s on the market, presently. You will pay a premium for a BGD EC, but it will be worth every penny. In relationship to cut, symm really has minimal impact; symm relates more to the crispness of the angles, and how “perfect” they are. Cut grade relates to how the angles compliment each other in order to achieve max performance. Your starting point for symm/Polish should be VG/VG. Cut should begin at EX.
Just thought I’d throw this out there; you cannot assume anything about a step cut simply by its stats.
Keep an open mind with numbers....

Emeraldsaremyfavorite

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

Blingalingaling

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hi! I've just poured over your entire thread! Wow!!! There's a lot to unpack here!
And I'm thinking, it's Friday and your appointment with Brian was yesterday, right? How did it go? I hope it was a good meeting and that you now have more direction!
I think you've received some invaluable advice and information here, from some wonderful people who really want to help and have a wealth of knowledge. Some of them are avid step cut lovers (I feel like they're my friends!) who are well-versed in the art of culling through the riff-raff and finding the very best out there!!! You're in good hands!!! =)2
I'm glad you didn't buy the Blue Nile stone. You don't want that dark obstruction, face-up. You will find something amazing that you'll flip out over!
There isn't much I can add in the way of guidance because I think the members who've written to you already have told you what you need to know. The rest is up to you and your eyes!
Here's just a little bit about my experience. I had a four-plus carat I-color emerald cut that was very white and showed no tint. Yet, I didn't love it (it wasn't bad, but it wasn't great) so I traded it for a d-color pear shaped stone that I had set in a Steven Kirsch halo setting that I do love! And, recently, because I'm a crazy person who has a thing for EC's, I purchased a 6.59 ct. Emerald Cut stone from IDJewelry that absolutely knocks my socks off-but it's not a high color stone- it's a GIA "L"! If anyone had told me that I'd fall in love with an "L", I'd have said they were crazy! And yet, I did!!! There is something about this stone that transcends color! And nobody would ever guess it's an "L", anyway. A PriceScope recommended vendor (who didn't sell it to me) said it could pass for an "H"! I don't know what it is...maybe the cut, maybe the rough?? Whatever it is, I love it! (I have a post in SMTB on it, if you'd like to take a look.)
My point is, it's all about THE STONE. Each one is different, no two are exactly alike. So, a "G" isn't a "G" isn't a "G". And there are so many variables involved. There is no "formula", unfortunately.
My advice is, keep your priorities in mind, but let your heart be the chooser. Look at as many stones as you can and decide what YOU love!

I think you're on the right track! And your budget is very generous. You will find some beautiful options! Take your time and you can be selective!
I can't wait to see what you find!!!
Please let me know if there is anything I can do to help you! :kiss2:

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Relatively new on DBL’s website. I died. It’s just under half the weight you’re looking for, but I thought of you, when I saw it, due to it’s squatty, but beautiful l x w ratio! It’s warmer in color, but I honestly don’t see tint in this baby!! I’ve been drooling over this gorgeous stone all night!!!
#ECGoals

CAAC0216-9152-4DB2-BBB4-A80B45A2AC28.png

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am interested to hear how your meeting went. I am assuming you realize Brian doesn't actually cut his diamonds himself, right? Be sure you love the style of his emerald cuts if you consider custom cutting, because I personally don't like that many of them have a stripe of leakage on either side of the center. I just don't feel the cut is perfected. They also are priced higher than other emerald cuts. So I would wait for a great regular one to come along. It just takes time to find great cut stones. But when you finally do, the wait is worth it.

Screenshot (36).png

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Last edited:

Emeraldsaremyfavorite

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I'd take a look at this one if you'd consider 5 cts (maybe this is the same as that parcelandstone diamond? Oh wow, it is! I see it's already been posted. But the price at parcelandstone is astounding compared to JA!!!!!)

https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/emerald-cut/5.00-carat-e-color-vvs2-clarity-sku-4664749

This is beautiful, too, if it is eyeclean:

https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/emerald-cut/5.06-carat-e-color-vs2-clarity-sku-5551433
The JA 5.06... dream! Love the ratio and no apparent leakage

Blingalingaling

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Beautiful, but I'd be concerned about an E with strong fluorescence. And the girdle is thick-it's going to show small, face up, for its weight.
I like the 5.0 ct, though! What a price difference from the two jewelers! That's pretty significant!

MrsKBP

Shiny_Rock
92FB4971-1FE2-44BC-8ABA-4165E376FF09.jpeg ABD9194A-F179-4387-8AAE-0C5785809FE1.jpeg Okay....left curve! I bought a ring....and I adore it!
6.33 H, VS2 (no flouresence) flanked by 1.2 trapezoid and .40 baguette on each side set in a handmade platinum setting.

I told myself as I went on my search to be open minded and not worry too much about the paper, ratios, etc. I’m sure this is as squatty as it gets since it’s a square emerald. I knew I gravitated towards Asscher shape and a short emerald so it feels good to verify it in person!

It won’t be for everyone and of course a coworker told me she “hates” trapezoids” when she saw the ring! So funny. I’m happy and that’s what counts!

So thrilled.

Attachments

• AEA3EDDE-A7E5-4A07-849C-416D08F59825.jpeg
    AEA3EDDE-A7E5-4A07-849C-416D08F59825.jpeg
    160.6 KB · Views: 33
  • 7E8FB6DE-8089-4B23-830E-034B05D52361.jpeg
    7E8FB6DE-8089-4B23-830E-034B05D52361.jpeg
    174.3 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results