shape
carat
color
clarity

Blue Nile purchase: EC, 6 carat, I VVS1

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@MrsKBP, Oh my goodness I cannot wait to see this and I hope it is the stone of your dreams.:love: LOVE a big bright white emerald cut diamond. You have nothing to lose as BN has an excellent return policy. Good luck and please post lots of pics.:appl:

MrsKBP

Shiny_Rock
I’d look into the Yadov EC, as well. A static photo, video, ASET & in person examination are all necessary to know if it meets your expectations. It’s 7.01ct, but who’s counting? Lucky #7, anyone?!? I loved everything except for the flouresence.
This type of purchase should really be done in person, as many have mentioned. DH & I didn’t even go by numbers with my EC & it’s 1.07ct!! Up close, personal examination, and under the microscope! We weren’t choosing, blindly. Online purchasing is great, if you know what you’re looking for, you have all the visual aids possible, and the return policy fits your window. If you have the opportunity to meet, in person, any of the above named vendors, that would be very wise.

MrsKBP

Shiny_Rock
I looked at a few of the suppliers I favor because of their prices. They're both good suppliers though not reknown on PS. The first diamond has lovely lively flashes and a nice slightly elongated ratio. I don't like the cut of the BN one at all. Table and depth are only two of the important figures, the thing that results in a diamonds beauty is how all the facets are cut, the angles and whether they compliment each other. You need to assess this carefuly with your eyes. Emerald cuts come in different ratios, but also have different facet widths - some are chunky facets and some are slim and sparkly facets. The looks for each are quite different. I guess I tend to favor slim facets like this following diamond; but it's personal choice.

https://www.adiamor.com/Diamonds/5.92-ct-F-VS1-Affinity-Cut-Emerald-Diamond/D41724269

This next one is well worth requesting a video and ASET to assess. It wont have any clarity issues and is great value for money. It has strong fluoro which I think will make it even more stunning.

https://www.yadavjewelry.com/diamond/3414480

OP at this price range you have every reasonable expectation of being assisted to find your diamond. I wouldn't be buying anything without a person to person consultation and preferably seeing the diamonds in person. If you are in a position to see in person, New York might be the place to plan a trip. There are several vendors physically located around there.

Don't rush in and you can end up with an absolutely stunning diamond. I second what others have said about consulting with some of the known experts, but at the very least, if you choose drop shopping; make sure you know as much about the diamond as possible. Have it examined, request an ASET, make sure you can return it.
I am new to buying online and chose it only because my sister had bought from James Allen and recommended it so we checked the two big online companies (Blue Nile & James Allen) and I could actually shop it so easily versus the broker we originally had been working with. The broker charges 15% over cost which when we calculated it along with tax, I realized we could spend an extra $30,000 towards the actual stone if we shopped online. So here we are. I’m not familiar with many of the other online services mentioned on this thread and will definitively reach out to Brian Gavin since he’s here in Houston. The stone I’m looking at now will be sent to NYC then to us. I had planned on visiting NYC to meet with Lauren B to discuss creating the setting as well so may just look at the diamond while we are up there if I can coordinate it. It’s all overwhelming and I don’t want to make a regretful mistake at this or Any price point! I could definitely go down in size for amazing cut and color. I don’t think I was sacrificing in clarity at VVS1. I know for certain that I do not want any flouresence. Should be easy right? It’s actually been hard to find. I’d like to keep it less than $140. So I can spend a little more for better quality or go down in size. I’m saving $5-10 for the setting. Trying to keep the total at $150.

MrsKBP

Shiny_Rock
@MrsKBP, Oh my goodness I cannot wait to see this and I hope it is the stone of your dreams.:love: LOVE a big bright white emerald cut diamond. You have nothing to lose as BN has an excellent return policy. Good luck and please post lots of pics.:appl:
Yeah! My sister bought from James Allen and loves her stone, setting and experience. I’m sure Blue Nile is similar. They’ve been fantastic so far. I spoke to two GIA certified gemologist and both said it was a great stone and great value but that of course I would need to see it in person. If it does look good in person then I think it will be a great value. We will see. Next dilemma is setting but it’s a fun one to have.

Emeraldsaremyfavorite

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I would take the stone to Brian or Lauren and get their opinion. I don’t know much about Lauren but I do feel Brian will tell you if it is well cut without any bias. I did see the video and do see some black/dead spots in the center. That would worry but may not be an issue for you.

Faint to medium fluorescence would actually not be a problem.

Lastly, Blue Nile and JA are the most expensive online sites I have come across. They carry the same stones as everyone else. So... I would personally try to save every penny and go with someone else to buy you the very same stone. If you find one you fall in love with, get the cert number and have someone like IDJ hunt it down for you. I would put money on it that IDJ could beat this price by probably at least 10k

Last edited:

MrsKBP

Shiny_Rock
02DB77DD-FC5C-4C0E-AE8E-893921BE9A86.jpeg This is a 5.03 I, VS2 I tried I’m in real life. The I color looked great. This photo was taken in my car without any filter. This had convinced me that if I could find a good I color/cut then I could go that route and save myself some money!

Attachments

• 44A63813-395F-4B64-801A-A63DF91E3107.jpeg
    44A63813-395F-4B64-801A-A63DF91E3107.jpeg
    216.5 KB · Views: 33

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree that the stone you have on hold is beautifully clean. However, I also agree with all the other posters who say the stone 'blacks out' when looked at directly from above - which is your most common viewing direction.

Blacking out, or facets switching off, means exactly what it sounds like; there will be certain angles - normally directly from above - where a percentage of your ring looks black. In the case of this stone, about half the stone looks black when viewed directly face-on.

I vote wait. This is not a good stone, which is almost certainly why it's good value. Remember - a stone that doesn't do what it's supposed to do is never good value.

MrsKBP

Shiny_Rock
I would take the stone to Brian or Lauren and get their opinion. I don’t know much about Lauren but I do feel Brian will tell you if it is well cut without any bias. I did see the video and do see some black/dead spots in the center. That would worry but may not be an issue for you.

Faint to medium fluorescence would actually not be a problem.

Lastly, Blue Nile and JA are the most expensive online sites I have come across. They carry the same stones as everyone else. So... I would personally try to save every penny and go with someone else to buy you the very same stone. If you find one you fall in love with, get the cert number and have someone like IDJ hunt it down for you. I would put money on it that IDJ could beat this price by probably at least 10k
Sory if this is dumb...what does IDJ stand for?

scarsmum

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
The stone I have on hold is an I, VVS1. From the video I can not see any inclusions. We have the stone on hold and plan on making the purchase on Monday. We should receive it on 09/26. We have 30 days to review & return or review and keep. It’s Blue Nile so it’s 100% refundable.
I mean the yadav one.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you have to send the blue Nile one back, will they send you an insured label? Fed ex and ups don’t insure jewelry.

Emeraldsaremyfavorite

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
ID Jewelry in NY, they are great. I think you have seen an I VS2 in person and liked it. That may be your sweet spot, but wait for a wonderfully cut stone!! Again, reach out to Brian and Sam- have as many people looking for you as possible. But this one... just has too much black for all that money.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
38216FB1-C73D-4639-BD21-6C4E00402DAC.png
This is my choice for that much money.

Contrary I may be ;)) but I don't like it - I think it's leaking badly, and the dark areas on each side are the shank showing through.

AUIU the whole facet should be on or off, not just the middle of a facet - at the most, I believe you'd have a gradient from dark to light from end to end, juuuust at the exact angle it switches on.

I am an uneducated, inexperienced fool pontificating from his keyboard, though, so it's entirely possible I may be wrong :razz: in which case I welcome comments and feedback!

MrsKBP

Shiny_Rock
Okay. I will call BGD tomorrow as well as IDJ. I went on the website for IDJ and didn’t see anything I liked but will still call. Same for BGD; their

MrsKBP

Shiny_Rock
Anyone have experience with Adiamor? I found something that might be of interest however no photo! Ugh.

MrsKBP

Shiny_Rock
If you have to send the blue Nile one back, will they send you an insured label? Fed ex and ups don’t insure jewelry.
Great question. I’ll have to find out!

Emeraldsaremyfavorite

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Okay. I will call BGD tomorrow as well as IDJ. I went on the website for IDJ and didn’t see anything I liked but will still call. Same for BGD; their
So IDJ will source lots of stones for you. You give them your ideal specs and they go to work! They will send you video and you simply pass or have them get it in for you. Ask for Shulamit or Yuketiel!

Octo2005

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Nothing of value to add, but I can't wait to see what stone you finally decide on and am glad that you are bringing us PSer's along for the ride.:wavey:

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Contrary I may be ;)) but I don't like it - I think it's leaking badly, and the dark areas on each side are the shank showing through.

AUIU the whole facet should be on or off, not just the middle of a facet - at the most, I believe you'd have a gradient from dark to light from end to end, juuuust at the exact angle it switches on.

I am an uneducated, inexperienced fool pontificating from his keyboard, though, so it's entirely possible I may be wrong :razz: in which case I welcome comments and feedback!

That is what's great. Everyone has their own opinion and taste. In the step cut's I've seen, especially the longer ones, because of the nature of the longer lengthwise shape of the facets, there is always some leakage that is noticeable when shanks cross directly under the center of the stone. I also see this with ovals. My solution is to use a setting that has a basket that echos the shape of the stone, and no metal directly crosses underneath the stone. There may be leakage in this stone, but I can't be certain until I've looked at it IRL. So I may say I would get this, but not without looking at it myself. I like the width and evenness of the facets, and I like being able to see some, and not others. But in the end, it's a very personal decision. Many people don't agree on a stone, and that is just fine @OoohShiny . =)2 It's all good.

MrsKBP

Shiny_Rock
Like everyone pointed out, this makes me worried for the stone— all those black facets turning off at the same time.

I would cancel if you can because you have to send it back and it’s a lot of money to be traveling back and forth.

We can find you a better one.

What is your total budget and ring preference?
$150 for everything so if I back out my setting I would put it at about $140/145 for the stone. My ring goal: EC, no flouresence, GIA, and between 5-6 carats if possible. Am I looking for a unicorn at this budget?

Last edited:

Kaycee2018

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Anyone have experience with Adiamor? I found something that might be of interest however no photo! Ugh.

My recent upgrade is from Adiamor. Transaction was smooth and I had no issues. I would recommend them. They are a drop shipper, so many of the diamonds they have listed are available through other retailers. It's just a matter for buying from the vendor with the best price, return policy, upgrade policy that works for you, etc. Good luck finding our perfect EC!

KKJohnson

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
$150 for everything so if I back out my setting I would put it at about $140/145 for the stone. My ring goal: EC, no flouresence, GIA, and between 5-6 carats if possible. Am I looking for a unicorn at this budget?

Definitely not impossible at that price but don’t settle, you want the unicorn not because of the price but because of how gorgeous the stone is. I also don’t like the diamond pick out because just like everyone else has said the center is dead and you can find a better cut in your price point.

That being said, I can’t wait to see what you end up with! *girly scream*

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
May I ask why no Fluor?

MrsKBP

Shiny_Rock
May I ask why no Fluor?
My last stone had med flo but was also an si1 so perhaps that tainted me but I found that it looked "different" in the sunlight. It looked amazing inside in artificial light but in the light of day...just not right. So in my mind I told myself I don't want to "risk" anything this time around. I am okay with faint to negligible but not higher. I am 100% sure they can look fantastic but I'm scarred I think....

MrsKBP

Shiny_Rock
Okay, I have made contact with Brian Gavin Diamonds (Jamie). I've sent the info on the stone I picked out and also told her that I would go down in size and perhaps should stick to G-H. So maybe we can find something in the 5.00-5.50 carat range that looks gorgeous. I did find a stone on their site that was 5.5 carat, G, VS2, Excellent polish but only VG symmetry. It didn't have a photo so....

Waiting to hear back from them.

Is the BGD price already with their "cut" included? Or it is what is listed online with an additional "bump" in price?

MrsKBP

Shiny_Rock
That is what's great. Everyone has their own opinion and taste. In the step cut's I've seen, especially the longer ones, because of the nature of the longer lengthwise shape of the facets, there is always some leakage that is noticeable when shanks cross directly under the center of the stone. I also see this with ovals. My solution is to use a setting that has a basket that echos the shape of the stone, and no metal directly crosses underneath the stone. There may be leakage in this stone, but I can't be certain until I've looked at it IRL. So I may say I would get this, but not without looking at it myself. I like the width and evenness of the facets, and I like being able to see some, and not others. But in the end, it's a very personal decision. Many people don't agree on a stone, and that is just fine @OoohShiny . =)2 It's all good.
I think when I saw the black flash I had assumed it was reflection since I saw it in so many. I went back and even looked at D, IF stones with so called excellent cuts and I still saw the black flashes. Not all to the degree that I saw in the stone I have on hold but still saw them....so now I wait. It's so hard because everything says it should be awesome. It fell into every "excellent" bucket. Know what I mean?

Wewechew

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Okay, I have made contact with Brian Gavin Diamonds (Jamie). I've sent the info on the stone I picked out and also told her that I would go down in size and perhaps should stick to G-H. So maybe we can find something in the 5.00-5.50 carat range that looks gorgeous. I did find a stone on their site that was 5.5 carat, G, VS2, Excellent polish but only VG symmetry. It didn't have a photo so....

Is the BGD price already with their "cut" included? Or it is what is listed online with an additional "bump" in price?
Price listed is the price :)

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium

This musy have been a virtual inventory stone. Their signature stones are only AGS certified.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results