shape
carat
color
clarity

What is your birthstone? Do you own any birthstone pieces?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

DentD

Rough_Rock
July - Ruby. I really don''t like rubies, I''d rather have a deep red garnet or maybe even a richly colored sunstone, yum. Actually though, I really wish I was born in August so I could have peridot as my birthstone. I just love the apple green colors. I don''t own any peridots right now but I keep thinking someday I will. I''d love to incorporate peridots into my wedding band but I''m too hard on my e-ring as it is so that idea is likely out the door.
7.gif

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/17/2009 9:38:13 PM
Author: platinumrock

Date: 2/17/2009 12:04:36 AM
Author: arjunajane
July - ruby, and never liked them.
7.gif

AJ, that''s sacrilige! You don''t like rubies??? *GASP*

What gemstones would you have wanted?

I wish ruby could be my gemstone...I LOOOVE the red shade. Is there a rule against swapping birthstones?
11.gif
I know I know....I actually don''t like corundum at all - **ducks**
6.gif

Some sapphires I like, but not the ones you are "supposed" to like...I love them on others, like LS''s blueberry, but just not for me . Actually I''m kinda happy I''m not into them, as I don''t have the budget for it!
Not a fan of the "traditional three" - saphh, ruby and emerald
40.gif

I''ll take garnets or tourmalines (and of course diamonds). And I already have swapped - I''ve adopted my Fi''s birthstone of garnet, ha!

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m 2/3 with you AJ. I still love me some sapphires. But I''m NOT a fan of ruby or emerald. At all.

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/18/2009 1:00:40 AM
Author: FrekeChild
I''m 2/3 with you AJ. I still love me some sapphires. But I''m NOT a fan of ruby or emerald. At all.

You know, after seeing green tourmalines and tsavs on here, I''ve been less of a fan of emeralds. I wonder if it''s just because I''ve never seen really top grade emeralds? But I like the deep bright green of tsavs and tourms better. Rubies I''m still on the fence about! I think I just need to eventually buy really nice ones and figure it out then
2.gif

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Hey Freke and BEG - glad to know I''m not all alone,!
BEG I guess it could be I haven''t seen really nice top grade sapphires or rubies in person too - I quite like some ruby cabochons that Sally sells.
I would def. buy a nice green tsav before an emerald - just don''t dig that cloudy look they tend to have..

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/18/2009 3:08:40 AM
Author: arjunajane
Hey Freke and BEG - glad to know I''m not all alone,!

BEG I guess it could be I haven''t seen really nice top grade sapphires or rubies in person too - I quite like some ruby cabochons that Sally sells.

I would def. buy a nice green tsav before an emerald - just don''t dig that cloudy look they tend to have..

I agree on the tsav! I would kill for one of those - love the color. I''m not a big fan of cloudiness either. I think though that even if I was ambivalent about sapphires, I would''ve been swayed after seeing Lost_Sapphire''s blueberry
30.gif

Honey228

Shiny_Rock
Amethyst - I have a high school ring and a ring that an ex gave me. I don''t think that the quality''s very good and I never wear them. I haven''t found any birthstone jewelry that I really like yet, but I do like the legacy inspired amethyst rings that I''ve seen here.

Bf''s birthstone is garnet and I''m jealous. Maybe I could get a color change garnet that changes to purple so that it''d be like both of our birthstones in one.
31.gif

b_cg6427aa.jpg

mochi

Ideal_Rock
This is a fun site where you just plug in your birthday and it gives you all sort of information about your birthday, birthstone, what happened on your birthday...and more.

http://www.paulsadowski.org/BirthDay.asp

platinumrock

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/18/2009 9:33:26 PM
Author: mochi
This is a fun site where you just plug in your birthday and it gives you all sort of information about your birthday, birthstone, what happened on your birthday...and more.

Thanks for the link, Mochi! It even tells me how many seconds I''ve been alive. Pretty cool and scary at the same time...if I really think about it.
23.gif

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/19/2009 12:32:15 AM

Date: 2/18/2009 9:33:26 PM
Author: mochi

Thanks for the link, Mochi! It even tells me how many seconds I''ve been alive. Pretty cool and scary at the same time...if I really think about it.
23.gif
Ahh..similiar to this is The Big Book of Birthdays - I really used to like that book. It was absolutely spot on in my experience (describing people''s characters based on their birth dates). fun!

AllieGator

Shiny_Rock
I''m december, so I believe it''s blue topaz, and I think turquoise is the traditional one. I have a pair of small blue topaz studs (around 4 mm each, i believe) in white gold that I wear once or twice a week. I also have a silver ring with a small round turquoise in it, surrounded by silver leaves. My parents gave it to me for my high school graduation, and I wear it everyday.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Diamond!

jjdav

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/17/2009 9:28:38 PM
Date: 2/17/2009 2:54:48 AM

Author: jjdav

Date: 2/17/2009 12:38:08 AM

Mochi, I think Aquas are one of the most beautiful gemstones around. Your avatar stone has a nice aquaesque tone. Is that the tourmaline that you bought from ACS?

Laineybugger, my husband is also a December baby. Don''t you just love the different shades of Blue Topaz? I''m sorry to hear about the London Blue Topaz that you lost, but I''m excited that you will be getting a new one! I''ve never seen one in a rose gold bezel before, so that will be stunning! I can''t wait to see it either!

BEG, amethyst is one of my favorite gemstones. I absolutely love the different shades of purple. My favorite shade is the lavender/pinkish-purple shade. I used to wish that I had a cool birthstone like amethyst instead of citrine. So you''re getting two 24k bands from Korea? That sounds awesome! Please post pics when you get them. Oooh, maybe you can reset your amethyst bracelet in rose gold!
31.gif

Akmiss, I am so drawn to pearls. Lucky girl! Pearls are so elegant, timeless and ethereal. Oh, I didn''t realize we can''t discuss them on PS. Okay...all I can say is that I love the colors of the South Sea and Tahitian Pearls. I hope to own a few someday!

FlyGirl, your post made me laugh! I also wish I had the cool birthstones like diamonds, emeralds, pearls, rubies and sapphires. I always envied people I knew that were born in these months. I also love Rubies..my favorite color is red, and rubies have such a deep and rich color. They just have a certain royal mystique to them. If you love Rubies, go get ''em! My birthstone certainly didn''t stop me from buying diamonds.
2.gif

Charmypoo, I''m jealous! You get to have opal AND tourmaline! I love the color varieties in tourmalines, and how sparkly they are! I''ve seen your gemstone collection, and you have some gorgeous tourmalines. By the way, how is your diamond search going?

Linda, I am suuuuper jealous! You get to have sapphire for your birthstone AND the pad, and you own several gorgeous pieces! I have to say, pads are my favorite color in sapphire. They are very special and a true rarity. Can you please post pics of your pad pieces?
31.gif

Catmom and Marcy, I used to wish my birthstone was an emerald when I was younger. Emeralds have such an impressive history in royal crowns and sunken Spanish ships. I know, you can get a tsavorite and just pass them off as top quality emeralds!

Marcy, can you post pics of your emerald pendant and ring?
3.gif

TL, can you please post pics of your aqua pieces, especially the rough?? Purrdy please? And I''d love to see your Legacy Inspired Aqua again! I think you were born in the wrong month. You definitely should have been born in October.
2.gif

Clio, I have a niece and nephew that were also born in August. What gemstone do you actually like? But I totally understand because I was never in love with citrine. I really love the deep red color in Ruby as well. I always wished rubies and diamonds were my birthstones. Maybe your daughter is a true September baby at heart. If you both love sapphires, I say why not??? Get the gemstone that you love!

Sparkalicious, I think peridots are beautiful stones. But I am right there with you with wanting garnets. Even when maroon was the only shade of garnet I knew, I was still drawn to its mysterious red shade. After PS, I discovered the many flavorsof garnet, especially my absolute favorite: the peachy/salmon Malaya. And I also think I am an April baby at heart. I love me some diamonds, especially colored ones!
18.gif

Jjdav, thanks for those links! That''s really interesting. So I may not really be a Scorpio after all, but a Libra. And my husband is not a Sagittarius, but an Ophiuchus. Never heard of that! Hmmm....
face22.gif
Just curious...do you fit the Scorpio characteristics?
2.gif

Hoofbeats, it''s nice to see a fellow November baby. You''re not alone in hating your birthstone. I was never too crazy about citrine either. But guess what? Your true birthstone is Yellow Topaz. So you get to enjoy all of the colors of Topaz!
36.gif
At least that''s what I tell myself...lol...
11.gif

Good question, I''ve never read up on the other signs very much and according to my friends, I do seem to have some of the Scorpio characteristics... What''s really weird is that I have a friend who is also a Scorpio (we were born 2 days apart) but we seem to have almost opposite personalities!

Such as??? Seriously, I''m curious...
3.gif

I''m going to be spilling the beans now...
3.gif
, here''s a quote ''The curiosity of Scorpios is immeasurable, which may be why they are such adept investigators.'' I''m an auditor and according to my colleagues and bosses, I''m quite good at it. I''m quite curious and I''m told a bit hard to get to know
31.gif
, I''ve lived on three continents in my life so far and being relatively resourceful helped. What about you? What''s your sign?

platinumrock

Ideal_Rock

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trouble!

platinumrock

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/21/2009 3:15:29 PM

Date: 2/17/2009 9:28:38 PM

Date: 2/17/2009 2:54:48 AM

Date: 2/17/2009 12:38:08 AM

Mochi, I think Aquas are one of the most beautiful gemstones around. Your avatar stone has a nice aquaesque tone. Is that the tourmaline that you bought from ACS?

Laineybugger, my husband is also a December baby. Don''t you just love the different shades of Blue Topaz? I''m sorry to hear about the London Blue Topaz that you lost, but I''m excited that you will be getting a new one! I''ve never seen one in a rose gold bezel before, so that will be stunning! I can''t wait to see it either!

BEG, amethyst is one of my favorite gemstones. I absolutely love the different shades of purple. My favorite shade is the lavender/pinkish-purple shade. I used to wish that I had a cool birthstone like amethyst instead of citrine. So you''re getting two 24k bands from Korea? That sounds awesome! Please post pics when you get them. Oooh, maybe you can reset your amethyst bracelet in rose gold!
31.gif

Akmiss, I am so drawn to pearls. Lucky girl! Pearls are so elegant, timeless and ethereal. Oh, I didn''t realize we can''t discuss them on PS. Okay...all I can say is that I love the colors of the South Sea and Tahitian Pearls. I hope to own a few someday!

FlyGirl, your post made me laugh! I also wish I had the cool birthstones like diamonds, emeralds, pearls, rubies and sapphires. I always envied people I knew that were born in these months. I also love Rubies..my favorite color is red, and rubies have such a deep and rich color. They just have a certain royal mystique to them. If you love Rubies, go get ''em! My birthstone certainly didn''t stop me from buying diamonds.
2.gif

Charmypoo, I''m jealous! You get to have opal AND tourmaline! I love the color varieties in tourmalines, and how sparkly they are! I''ve seen your gemstone collection, and you have some gorgeous tourmalines. By the way, how is your diamond search going?

Linda, I am suuuuper jealous! You get to have sapphire for your birthstone AND the pad, and you own several gorgeous pieces! I have to say, pads are my favorite color in sapphire. They are very special and a true rarity. Can you please post pics of your pad pieces?
31.gif

Catmom and Marcy, I used to wish my birthstone was an emerald when I was younger. Emeralds have such an impressive history in royal crowns and sunken Spanish ships. I know, you can get a tsavorite and just pass them off as top quality emeralds!

Marcy, can you post pics of your emerald pendant and ring?
3.gif

TL, can you please post pics of your aqua pieces, especially the rough?? Purrdy please? And I''d love to see your Legacy Inspired Aqua again! I think you were born in the wrong month. You definitely should have been born in October.
2.gif

Clio, I have a niece and nephew that were also born in August. What gemstone do you actually like? But I totally understand because I was never in love with citrine. I really love the deep red color in Ruby as well. I always wished rubies and diamonds were my birthstones. Maybe your daughter is a true September baby at heart. If you both love sapphires, I say why not??? Get the gemstone that you love!

Sparkalicious, I think peridots are beautiful stones. But I am right there with you with wanting garnets. Even when maroon was the only shade of garnet I knew, I was still drawn to its mysterious red shade. After PS, I discovered the many flavorsof garnet, especially my absolute favorite: the peachy/salmon Malaya. And I also think I am an April baby at heart. I love me some diamonds, especially colored ones!
18.gif

Jjdav, thanks for those links! That''s really interesting. So I may not really be a Scorpio after all, but a Libra. And my husband is not a Sagittarius, but an Ophiuchus. Never heard of that! Hmmm....
face22.gif
Just curious...do you fit the Scorpio characteristics?
2.gif

Hoofbeats, it''s nice to see a fellow November baby. You''re not alone in hating your birthstone. I was never too crazy about citrine either. But guess what? Your true birthstone is Yellow Topaz. So you get to enjoy all of the colors of Topaz!
36.gif
At least that''s what I tell myself...lol...
11.gif

Good question, I''ve never read up on the other signs very much and according to my friends, I do seem to have some of the Scorpio characteristics... What''s really weird is that I have a friend who is also a Scorpio (we were born 2 days apart) but we seem to have almost opposite personalities!

Such as??? Seriously, I''m curious...
3.gif

I''m going to be spilling the beans now...
3.gif
, here''s a quote ''The curiosity of Scorpios is immeasurable, which may be why they are such adept investigators.'' I''m an auditor and according to my colleagues and bosses, I''m quite good at it. I''m quite curious and I''m told a bit hard to get to know
31.gif
, I''ve lived on three continents in my life so far and being relatively resourceful helped. What about you? What''s your sign?
Haha...an auditor is such a Scorpio job. Do you also come across as unapproachable at first? You are right, Scorpios are natural investigators. Scorpios definitely have a natural curiousity and a keen perception about things. I''m also a Scorpio, and I can be a bit extreme. I try not to, and I know it''s not healthy, but I often make "all or nothing" decisions. It''s like if I can''t have it all, I don''t want any. I also like to get to the bottom of who people truly are, what they are about and where they stand on things. More often than not, I listen more than I speak. I try not to give unsolicited advice, but it seems like people unconsciously spill their secrets and fears....kind of like therapy. It''s so amazing how much you can learn about someone just by letting them talk about themselves...and asking questions. And also observing what things they do.

And yes, I can be a bit hard to get to know. But once I let you in, I''m very sweet and caring. And I will try to make you laugh.
3.gif

Wow, three continents? Most people would be proud to say three countries. What continents have you lived in? I''ve lived in two.

platinumrock

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/22/2009 3:39:13 PM
Author: Harriet
Trouble!

But quite a valid excuse...I mean reason to collect more diamonds!!!
31.gif

"But honey, diamonds are my birthstones! The Gods would be displeased if I didn''t make the necessary sacrifices..."
3.gif

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am a ......guess what? APRILBABY! And yes, I have LOTS of birthstones! I also LOVE garnets. Especially dark red ones. And madiera citrines.

platinumrock

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/18/2009 3:43:34 PM
Author: Honey228
Amethyst - I have a high school ring and a ring that an ex gave me. I don''t think that the quality''s very good and I never wear them. I haven''t found any birthstone jewelry that I really like yet, but I do like the legacy inspired amethyst rings that I''ve seen here.

Bf''s birthstone is garnet and I''m jealous. Maybe I could get a color change garnet that changes to purple so that it''d be like both of our birthstones in one.
31.gif

Okay, that pic is seriously cool. Now I want a malaya and a color change garnet!!!
emcry.gif

platinumrock

Ideal_Rock
Okay, seriously, I hate all of you April babies...like Aprilbaby.
27.gif
You get to have the diamond and that is just tooo unfair!!!

*I wish I was born in April...I wish I was born in April...I wish I was born in April...*

Hmm..maybe I can invent a time machine that will let me go back and change my conception date.
11.gif

Clio

Brilliant_Rock
I always wanted to be a May baby because emeralds were my first gemstone love. April wouldn''t be so bad either.
31.gif

My mother is October, and she loves it. She has some really beautiful opal jewelry, including a gorgeous ring my grandfather bought for my grandmother when his aircraft carrier stopped in Australia during WWII. (funny story - he went on shore and saw the ring, but he didn''t have enough money to buy it; so, he went back to the carrier, joined a poker game, and won enough money to get my grandmother the ring!)

My sister and I both have peridot, though, and neither one of us is a huge fan. Green is probably my sister''s lease favorite color. I did recently see a peridot ring I like, though, so maybe I''m coming around.

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/17/2009 9:51:52 PM
Date: 2/17/2009 6:33:50 PM

Author: coatimundi

Emerald, and I do not have any emerald jewelry. I'm not into that hue. I'll take all the other birthstones please.
31.gif

Such as your gorgeous Malaya???
31.gif
Gosh, I soooo love the color of that stone! I'm not into the green shade either, but I do think emeralds have such a royal presence.

9.gif
thanks!

I've seen really fine emerald that was breathtaking--I just can't see myself wearing it--yanno? (I would like a nice one for my gem box, though) Also, I'm hooked on high RI and highly dispersive gems. Well--I'm hooked on old cut diamonds these days.
3.gif
April is close to May--I'll just pretend...
31.gif

platinumrock

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/22/2009 7:20:33 PM

Date: 2/17/2009 9:51:52 PM

Date: 2/17/2009 6:33:50 PM

Emerald, and I do not have any emerald jewelry. I''m not into that hue. I''ll take all the other birthstones please.
31.gif

Such as your gorgeous Malaya???
31.gif
Gosh, I soooo love the color of that stone! I''m not into the green shade either, but I do think emeralds have such a royal presence.

9.gif
thanks!

I''ve seen really fine emerald that was breathtaking--I just can''t see myself wearing it--yanno? (I would like a nice one for my gem box, though) Also, I''m hooked on high RI and highly dispersive gems. Well--I''m hooked on old cut diamonds these days.
3.gif
April is close to May--I''ll just pretend...
31.gif
Coati, what about emeralds as accent or side stones?
3.gif

Gosh, the high RI may be why I''m so drawn to diamonds, garnets and topazes more than any other gemstone. They''re so sparkly and firey! I don''t own any tourmalines yet, so I can''t compare. Umm yeah...does it count if I was born in April in a past life?
31.gif

My dog''s birthday is April 28!
27.gif

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wonder who thought up birthstones to begin with? Who makes the decisions what birthstone is for a particular month? Is it some important council like the United Nations. Ha!!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have no idea who started it but they certainly got people buying gemstones and jewellery.
3.gif

platinumrock

Ideal_Rock
YAH!!! Who decided that only those born in April get to have the diamond???
29.gif
14.gif
27.gif

Why couldn''t it be November?
31.gif

galleygal

Shiny_Rock
I was born in July so ruby is my birthstone. I have a ruby and diamond ring. One of my rubies is chipped and I don''t know what to do with it. I really do like my ring though.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don''t know who the dope was that picked alexandrite as a birthstone. It''s so rare and valuable in good qualities. How many people have one for their actual birthstone ring, let alone have ever seen one in person?

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
I''m an April baby, too. I didn''t get any birthstone jewelry until I was 16 - a small ring with a .10 ct rb in it (heavily included, from a maul store). Still have the ring and it holds a lot of sentimental value.

But I LOVE my DH''s birthstone - sapphire. I really want to have a diamond and sapphire ring someday (and those light lavender sapphires make me swoon).

platinumrock

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/22/2009 10:39:39 PM
Author: tourmaline_lover
I don't know who the dope was that picked alexandrite as a birthstone. It's so rare and valuable in good qualities. How many people have one for their actual birthstone ring, let alone have ever seen one in person?

I know, I've never seen an alexandrite in person. And where would somebody find a good quality Alexandrite that is not from the internet?

Seriously, do you know the who the genius is that decided the diamond is April's birthstone?
face19.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results