shape
carat
color
clarity

What is your birthstone? Do you own any birthstone pieces?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
March, so aquamarine. I''m honestly not a huuuuge fan so I just pretend I was born a week later and have to have diamonds instead
9.gif
Man I wish my birthstone was garnet or sapphire though! Oh, the tapestry of colours available!!
41.gif

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
January - garnet and I have a bunch.

AdiS

Brilliant_Rock
September - sapphire. I have a cute blue sapphire ring in WG which I love and also a wide silver band with 3 tiny princess cut sapphires which I rarely wear.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
My father bought me George Kunz''s book ''The Curious Lore of Precious Stones'' for xmas (the same Kunz who kunzite is named after and who was vice-president/gemstone expert at T&Co for most of his life).

The book has whole chapters on birthstones - the original set were the stones in the Breastplate of Aaron - and looks at how the lists have evolved over the years and in different countries and why this is. Diamond for April is a very modern inclusion for example.

Fascinating reading if you are into that kind of thing...

Babyblue033

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
March - Aqua too. And just 2 more days and I would''ve been April
2.gif

I don''t have any Aqua, I just don''t like them much personally. Blue really isn''t my color and pale blue is even worse, but I wish I liked it more because I''m sentimental that way and would like to have my birthstone.

But, my DH''s birthstone is Garnet so I started collecting those instead
2.gif

got2goldens

Shiny_Rock
Another March baby, St. Patty's Day actually
21.gif

I have 1 aqua ring that I got for my 10th b-day, it's an emerald cut with tiny diamond sidestones. And the yellow gold band is bent, and has been since the day I got it! That has always bothered me.
I love aquas, and am looking for a GOOD one...

**ETA: what is a bloodstone?

Kat

merrymunky

Brilliant_Rock

vespergirl

Ideal_Rock
I''m August, peridot, but I wish I was September - my favorite colored gems are sapphires. I have a gorgeous pair of peridot dangling drop earrings in 14K yellow gold that were custom made for me as a gift, and I really like them. I also have a David Yurman-style peridot ring. I wear my sapphire and tanzanite jewelry more, though.

BeachRunner

Brilliant_Rock
I''m an April baby, which makes me a diamond girl. I don''t have any pieces I bought specifically to say this is my birthstone. Of course, my e-ring is a diamond.

I better get on the birthstone diamonds now!
31.gif

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
I am also a June baby so I have a few pearls, no alexandrites. I pretty much have any other birthstone than pearls. No offense but I like the sparkle! My due date was in July (I was born 3 weeks early), maybe I should claim rubies.

tlh

Ideal_Rock
9.gif

Date: 2/16/2009 10:59:00 PM
Author: CharmyPoo
I am an October baby. My birthstones are Opal and Tourmaline. I am not much of an Opal fan (although it is my sister''s favorite). I do love tourmalines and have a few.

This is a great site - http://www.bernardine.com/birthstone/october.htm
Ditto to everything you said... except replace sister w/ grandmother!

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock
March.
I do have an aquamarine ring with a huge a** window in it that I never thought of as a negative aspect of a stone until I found Colored Stones on PS! Thanks for that by the way!
3.gif

I posted a couple of pics of it over in LIW on my 1 year dating anniversary with FI.
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/1-year-anniversary-weekend-still-on-the-list-very-long.93550/

I think I''ve owned pairs of aqua studs in the past but I was too young and silly to appreciate them and probably lost them.

Someday I really want the Victoria Ring from Tiffany (I almost asked FI to use that instead of a traditional e-ring. Talk about great finger coverage! I think they discontinued it though...
7.gif
) or a nice cushion aqua in a LOGR Legacy setting.

Diamond*Dana

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My birthstone is Peridot...I have a family cross that has my birthstone along with my DH and our three kids. I also have a Peridot ring that my parents gave me for my 12th birthday. I still love it!

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
I was born in July, so I can''t afford my birthstone.
39.gif
Well, good ones anyway. I have a ruby cluster ring that belonged to my great grand mother, but I rarely wear it. They''re not really quality rubies and I''m not a fan of synthetics either. Some day I hope to have one like Love in Bloom''s "alligator head" ruby.
1.gif

ams0124

Brilliant_Rock
I''m January...so mine''s garnet. I love garnet so much because it comes in so many colors
30.gif

I have a beautiful garnet tennis bracelet, a watch, some necklaces, and some earrings...I''ll have to share some pictures of my birthstone collection...

FI''s grandma has the most beautiful green garnet ring...That''s what really sparked my love of garnets. She is a January girl too so we play in her garnet jewerly box a lot!
30.gif
9.gif

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
Emerald, and I do not have any emerald jewelry. I''m not into that hue. I''ll take all the other birthstones please.
31.gif

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mine is in December, the current stone is blue topaz, I use to have a ring, but I sold it, I do have some earrings, back in the day the official stone was blue zircon, i have the prettiest birthstone ring that my Mom bought me when I was 11 or 12, the color is amazing, it is just glass, but it is pretty, one of these days I will have to take a picture and share it.
5.gif

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
July - ruby
I own a ruby in a yellow gold pendant I received for my birthday one year. The setting is unique, but I don''t like yellow gold on me, and the ruby has visable inclusions. I have no plans to buy another ruby, at least not in the forseeable future, they are too expensive and I have no real interest.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m an October baby too, and I adore opals, and a big fan of tourmalines. I have a small opal ring and a fire opal pendant. I''ve also got a loose oval cabochon opal I''ll be begging for help w/at some point to figure out a setting for it!

Tuckins1

Ideal_Rock
My birthday is in December, which makes my birthstone blue zircon/blue topaz. I do have quite a few pieces in my birthstone. A ring, a pendant, and some earrings.

deegee

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
My birthstone is garnet. I have always thought garnets were ugly, so I only have one ring with an ugly, dark garnet. And then I stumbled upon the Colored Stones section and learned that garnets come in many gorgeous colors! I purchased my first real garnet (a tanga garnet) from BB a few weeks ago, and picked up my finished ring from the jeweler just a few hours ago. The garnet is beautiful, bright, and redish-purple. I love it! I finally have a birthstone ring.
36.gif

platinumrock

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/17/2009 2:54:48 AM
Author: jjdav

Date: 2/17/2009 12:38:08 AM
Author: platinumrock
Mochi, I think Aquas are one of the most beautiful gemstones around. Your avatar stone has a nice aquaesque tone. Is that the tourmaline that you bought from ACS?

Laineybugger, my husband is also a December baby. Don''t you just love the different shades of Blue Topaz? I''m sorry to hear about the London Blue Topaz that you lost, but I''m excited that you will be getting a new one! I''ve never seen one in a rose gold bezel before, so that will be stunning! I can''t wait to see it either!

BEG, amethyst is one of my favorite gemstones. I absolutely love the different shades of purple. My favorite shade is the lavender/pinkish-purple shade. I used to wish that I had a cool birthstone like amethyst instead of citrine. So you''re getting two 24k bands from Korea? That sounds awesome! Please post pics when you get them. Oooh, maybe you can reset your amethyst bracelet in rose gold!
31.gif

Akmiss, I am so drawn to pearls. Lucky girl! Pearls are so elegant, timeless and ethereal. Oh, I didn''t realize we can''t discuss them on PS. Okay...all I can say is that I love the colors of the South Sea and Tahitian Pearls. I hope to own a few someday!

FlyGirl, your post made me laugh! I also wish I had the cool birthstones like diamonds, emeralds, pearls, rubies and sapphires. I always envied people I knew that were born in these months. I also love Rubies..my favorite color is red, and rubies have such a deep and rich color. They just have a certain royal mystique to them. If you love Rubies, go get ''em! My birthstone certainly didn''t stop me from buying diamonds.
2.gif

Charmypoo, I''m jealous! You get to have opal AND tourmaline! I love the color varieties in tourmalines, and how sparkly they are! I''ve seen your gemstone collection, and you have some gorgeous tourmalines. By the way, how is your diamond search going?

Linda, I am suuuuper jealous! You get to have sapphire for your birthstone AND the pad, and you own several gorgeous pieces! I have to say, pads are my favorite color in sapphire. They are very special and a true rarity. Can you please post pics of your pad pieces?
31.gif

Catmom and Marcy, I used to wish my birthstone was an emerald when I was younger. Emeralds have such an impressive history in royal crowns and sunken Spanish ships. I know, you can get a tsavorite and just pass them off as top quality emeralds!

Marcy, can you post pics of your emerald pendant and ring?
3.gif

TL, can you please post pics of your aqua pieces, especially the rough?? Purrdy please? And I''d love to see your Legacy Inspired Aqua again! I think you were born in the wrong month. You definitely should have been born in October.
2.gif

Clio, I have a niece and nephew that were also born in August. What gemstone do you actually like? But I totally understand because I was never in love with citrine. I really love the deep red color in Ruby as well. I always wished rubies and diamonds were my birthstones. Maybe your daughter is a true September baby at heart. If you both love sapphires, I say why not??? Get the gemstone that you love!

Sparkalicious, I think peridots are beautiful stones. But I am right there with you with wanting garnets. Even when maroon was the only shade of garnet I knew, I was still drawn to its mysterious red shade. After PS, I discovered the many flavorsof garnet, especially my absolute favorite: the peachy/salmon Malaya. And I also think I am an April baby at heart. I love me some diamonds, especially colored ones!
18.gif

Jjdav, thanks for those links! That''s really interesting. So I may not really be a Scorpio after all, but a Libra. And my husband is not a Sagittarius, but an Ophiuchus. Never heard of that! Hmmm....
face22.gif
Just curious...do you fit the Scorpio characteristics?
2.gif

Hoofbeats, it''s nice to see a fellow November baby. You''re not alone in hating your birthstone. I was never too crazy about citrine either. But guess what? Your true birthstone is Yellow Topaz. So you get to enjoy all of the colors of Topaz!
36.gif
At least that''s what I tell myself...lol...
11.gif

Good question, I''ve never read up on the other signs very much and according to my friends, I do seem to have some of the Scorpio characteristics... What''s really weird is that I have a friend who is also a Scorpio (we were born 2 days apart) but we seem to have almost opposite personalities!
Such as??? Seriously, I''m curious...
3.gif

platinumrock

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/17/2009 7:41:41 AM
Author: DandiAndi
March, so aquamarine. I''m honestly not a huuuuge fan so I just pretend I was born a week later and have to have diamonds instead
9.gif
Man I wish my birthstone was garnet or sapphire though! Oh, the tapestry of colours available!!
41.gif

Haha...that''s a good one. In fact, that''s not a bad idea t all....
9.gif

You got that straight about garnets and sapphires!!! Add me to the list! It''s unfair! They get to have Pads and Malayas!
emcry.gif

platinumrock

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/17/2009 8:19:19 AM
Author: Pandora II
My father bought me George Kunz''s book ''The Curious Lore of Precious Stones'' for xmas (the same Kunz who kunzite is named after and who was vice-president/gemstone expert at T&Co for most of his life).

The book has whole chapters on birthstones - the original set were the stones in the Breastplate of Aaron - and looks at how the lists have evolved over the years and in different countries and why this is. Diamond for April is a very modern inclusion for example.

Fascinating reading if you are into that kind of thing...

I loooove Kunzite! I''ve always wanted one, but I never knew a good source besides JTV. Also, I''m afraid of the fading. That''s interesting about the origins of birthstones and the Diamond being a modern inclusion. Thanks, I will defnitely look into that book! Any excuse to stare at pretties...
5.gif

platinumrock

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/17/2009 12:04:36 AM
Author: arjunajane
July - ruby, and never liked them.
7.gif

AJ, that''s sacrilige! You don''t like rubies??? *GASP*

What gemstones would you have wanted?

I wish ruby could be my gemstone...I LOOOVE the red shade. Is there a rule against swapping birthstones?
11.gif

platinumrock

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/17/2009 8:22:44 AM
Author: Babyblue033
March - Aqua too. And just 2 more days and I would've been April
2.gif

I don't have any Aqua, I just don't like them much personally. Blue really isn't my color and pale blue is even worse, but I wish I liked it more because I'm sentimental that way and would like to have my birthstone.

But, my DH's birthstone is Garnet so I started collecting those instead
2.gif

Darn, you just missed the diamond cut! I'm not really drawn to blue either, but it's a very calming color. What color garnets have you collected so far?
31.gif

ETA: Your avatar is adorable!

platinumrock

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/17/2009 6:33:50 PM
Author: coatimundi
Emerald, and I do not have any emerald jewelry. I''m not into that hue. I''ll take all the other birthstones please.
31.gif

Such as your gorgeous Malaya???
31.gif
Gosh, I soooo love the color of that stone! I''m not into the green shade either, but I do think emeralds have such a royal presence.

platinumrock

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/17/2009 8:32:45 AM
Author: merrymunky
I''m a July baby, so ruby. Which I love. Here''s a link to the thread with pictures.

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/finally-it-arrives-new-ruby-and-diamond-ring.104047/

I''m also set to inherit my great grandmother''s ruby engagement ring from my nan one day.

Your ruby ring is beautiful, MM! I''ve always been jealous of my Mom because her birthstone is a ruby, and I always thought, "Why couldn''t it be me???"

How exciting about ineriting your great-grandmother''s ruby e-ring! Do you have any pics of this?

platinumrock

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/17/2009 8:49:07 AM
Author: vespergirl
I''m August, peridot, but I wish I was September - my favorite colored gems are sapphires. I have a gorgeous pair of peridot dangling drop earrings in 14K yellow gold that were custom made for me as a gift, and I really like them. I also have a David Yurman-style peridot ring. I wear my sapphire and tanzanite jewelry more, though.

VP, I would love to see pics of your peridot earrings!

platinumrock

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/17/2009 9:00:06 AM
Author: BeachRunner
I''m an April baby, which makes me a diamond girl. I don''t have any pieces I bought specifically to say this is my birthstone. Of course, my e-ring is a diamond.

I better get on the birthstone diamonds now!
31.gif

I am jealous! You get to have the diamond for your birthstone, and get one for an e-ring AND be able to get them in different colors!
11.gif

April babies are so lucky!

Ya, get on that birthstone so we can see pics!
31.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results