shape
carat
color
clarity

bcmacdonald

Staff member

bcmacdonald published a new blog post.
White gold is one of the most popular choices of metals when it comes to engagement rings, the other being platinum. White gold is popular because it is considerably cheaper than platinum. The purpose of this writeup is to give you a better understanding of what white gold is...

Continue reading the Original Blog Post.

Last edited by a moderator:

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Much improved, but why is it so popular?

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Much improved, but why is it so popular?

Cheaper than platinum would be my own perspective and reason to use 14K or even 9/10K WG!

I can't justify having platinum ring settings for CSs that cost a couple of hundred USDs!

DK :))

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is this thread a solicitation for feedback?

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Needs proofreading, factually inaccurate in places, and still missing references.
Much better than the first attempt.
I gave it a first pass - for both content and style.

- - - - -

White Gold is one of the most popular choices of metals when it comes to Engagement Rings, the other being Platinium sp. However, only a few people know what White Gold actually is or moreso(remove) the process Gold goes through to look white in color. The purpose of this write up writeup is to give you a better understanding of what White Gold is before purchasing an Engagement Ring and/or White Gold Jewelry. What’s with the capitalization of random words?

WHAT METALS IS WHITE GOLD ALLOYED WITH?

We don’t generally wear pure gold because it is too soft so we alloy it with other metals Because […] so - super awkward subordinating conjunction. That is the process of melting it down and mixing it with other metals to make it stronger. These other metals can affect the color of the gold as well as the price. White Gold is made of fine gold alloyed with Palladium and there are also traces of Nickel. Nowadays, most jewelers are just alloying fine gold what’s non-fine gold? with Palladium Source for “most”? I guarantee “most” US jewelers are using primarily nickel (lowercase unless you’re using the chemical symbols!) based alloys and a little silver and a tiny bit of zinc Source? Inaccurate - alloy composition varies. as many people are allergic to Nickel. The majority of North American Jewelers You just said “most jewellers” in the previous sentence - so was the previous sentence about non-US jewellers? still alloy fine gold with Nickel as it is a cheaper metal compared to Palladium and How are these two statements supposed to meaningfully connect? it tends to go yellow. What does “tends to go yellow” mean? Let me clarify - *I* know what it means, but the intended audience of your review will have no idea. We urge you to enquire inquire about the metals used to make the White Gold inquire into alloy composition before making a purchase as you could, unknowingly, be allergic to Nickel.

IS WHITE GOLD NATURALLY WHITE?

White Gold in its natural state is not actually white in color. This depends entirely on alloy. Have you seen any alloys of palladium WG in-person? White Gold engagement rings are typically Rhodium plated. When gold comes out of the ground it is naturally yellow, which is why it is plated. Rhodium is a shiny tarnish-proof metal that is used to coast sp through the electrolysis process when plating the Engagement Ring Another super awkward sentence. Rhodium is a shiny tarnish-proof metal that is used to coat the ring with a mirror white finish through electrolysis plating “electrodeposition” or “electroplating” might be more descriptive, as a specific implementation of electrolysis of the Engagement Ring. Rhodium plating is not permanent, so re-plating is necessary. Some ring wearers may be able to go years without re-plating, while others may need to re-plate every 6-12 months. How often you need to re-plate will depend on your own body chemistry and how the piece is worn.

HOW MANY KARATS OF WHITE GOLD SHOULD I BUY?

18K White Gold is commonly sold on the market as opposed to 14K White Gold. 18K White Gold consists of 75% Gold and 25% Palladium Not necessarily. In any case, this statement is a direct contradiction of your earlier explanation. . The fluctuating price of Palladium could have a significant impact on the price of White Gold during the time of purchase. Palladium is now very expensive and can be substituted with Platinum. Are you suggesting that people ask their vendors to alloy their WG with platinum instead of palladium? Or are you recommending people buy platinum rather than palladium, if choosing to eschew WG?

WHAT IS THE PRICE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN WHITE GOLD AND PLATINUM?

White Gold and Platinum are two of the most widely sold ‘white looking’ metals on the market for Engagement Rings. However, Platinum is a naturally white metal compared to White Gold Again, alloy makes all the difference. Since this is an article on WG, expectation of some commentary on appearance of various alloys doesn’t seem unreasonable. Platinum is a far more durable what do you mean by “durable”? Source? white mental sp and is denser compared to White Gold. Platinum is that color all the way through so no matter how much you wear it you will never see yellowing. Unless you choose a naturally white alloy of WG, in which case that WG is also “that colour all the way through”. Therefore, there is no need for Rhodium plating however some jewelers prefer to plate their Platinum Engagement Rings to accentuate its their/the color. Over time, a Platinum ring will take on a grayish patina that can be polished away by a jeweler. The patina is the result of minute scratches over the surface of the metal. Some prefer the Platinum patina, while others prefer to have their rings polished from time to time to remove it. Platinum has always been perceived as more expensive than Gold platinum actually *was* more expensive than gold, not just perception because Platinum is rarer and also has industrial uses gold also has plenty of industrial uses… I highly doubt that’s fueling any boost in luxury estimation… but today it is actually the reverse because gold is seen as a safe investment in times of global political turmoil. Take a closer look at the price of an ounce of Platinum ($864.48) vs. Gold ($1,913.00). However, the price of Platinum Engagement Rings is higher compared to White Gold Engagement Rings because 95% of pure Platinum is used in Platinum jewelry 90% platinum alloys are certainly not uncommon. as opposed to White Gold jewelry which only comprises of 75% or 58.5% fragment.

WHAT IS THE WEIGHT DIFFERENCE BETWEEN WHITE GOLD AND PLATINUM?

Although Rhodium plated White Gold and Rhodium plated Platinium sp is virtually indistinguishable fragment. There is a significant difference in the weight of the jewelry piece. Due to the density of Platinum vs. White Gold. A Platinum Engagement Ring of the same shape and size will weigh approximately one and a half times more than of the White Gold Engagement Ring and there will be a significant difference in the feel of the ring. These factors what factors? will also influence the cost of the overall Engagement Ring because more Platinum is used in the ring. Platinum is harder to polish harder as in metallurgic properties? Or harder as in “difficult”? Or both? and work compared to White Gold. This adds to the overall cost of a Platinum ring.

BROWSE WHITE GOLD JEWELRY

PriceScope’s Jewelry Search boasts a wide range of jewelry from the likes of Whiteflash, Blue Nile, James Allen, and More.

We hope that this article has helped you grasp a better understanding of what White Gold is before making your final purchase. If you have any questions related to White Gold and/ or White Gold jewelry- Let us know in the Comments section below.

Written by Bianca Mac Donald

Last edited:

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Above plus:

Also there are several white gold alloys that are white and do not need coatings. stuller 14k x1 being the best one.

Many people like the look of unplated standard white gold.
There are hundreds of different white gold alloys and the mix of metals can and often will vary depending on the source.

A lot of white gold in the US still has a fairly high level of nickel that can cause issues for some people. The levels are usualy not as high as in the past but it is still there.

I don't totally buy that platinum should be that much more expensive based on current prices for gold and platinum.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Very helpful you'all.
The whitest metal is silver.
There is no white gold, not even 14K
Maybe, but there are a few alloys that are a more reasonable approximation than others without platting.
To my eyes stuller 14k x1 is white and I have asked others and they say it is white to them also. I used it for the head of my wifey's er ring and its never been plated.
The stuller 18k x1 has just a hint of tint but less than most 18k gold alloys.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Maybe, but there are a few alloys that are a more reasonable approximation than others without platting.
To my eyes stuller 14k x1 is white and I have asked others and they say it is white to them also. I used it for the head of my wifey's er ring and its never been plated.
The stuller 18k x1 has just a hint of tint but less than most 18k gold alloys.

I don't believe it until someone can show a really good comparison photo - this one is no good.
It should have balance light and silver and rhodium plated in the pic
1601357464531.png

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not the metals you want @Garry H (Cut Nut) - but an old comp of some of my 18k WG rings -

1601357874425.png

A - PT950/Ru
B - 18k WG, UNPLATED (custom piece from DBL), "palladium WG" - don't know exact alloy
C - 18k WG, UNPLATED, exact composition: [75% AU] [17% PD] [5% AG] [3% PT]
D - 18k WG, UNPLATED, exact composition: [75% AU] [11% CU] [12.5% AG] [1.5% ZN]
E - 18k WG, UNPLATED, exact composition: [75% AU] [9.8% CU] [9.8% NI] [5.22% ZN]
F - 18k WG, UNPLATED, exact composition: [75% AU] [16.5% CU] [4% NI] [4.5% ZN]
G - 14k YG

Last edited:

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
lol Garry I am really tempted to have someone order a 14k x1 finding from stuller and send it to you.
I dont believe a picture could show the difference the way looking at it would.

bcmacdonald

Staff member
Thank you for your constructive criticism @yssie I have since made the necessary corrections.

mghdi1120

Rough_Rock
Trade
Not the metals you want @Garry H (Cut Nut) - but an old comp of some of my 18k WG rings -

1601357874425.png

A - PT950/Ru
B - 18k WG, UNPLATED (custom piece from DBL), "palladium WG" - don't know exact alloy
C - 18k WG, UNPLATED, exact composition: [75% AU] [17% PD] [5% AG] [3% PT]
D - 18k WG, UNPLATED, exact composition: [75% AU] [11% CU] [12.5% AG] [1.5% ZN]
E - 18k WG, UNPLATED, exact composition: [75% AU] [9.8% CU] [9.8% NI] [5.22% ZN]
F - 18k WG, UNPLATED, exact composition: [75% AU] [16.5% CU] [4% NI] [4.5% ZN]
G - 14k YG

Hello Yssie,
Can you tell me who DBL is? I have a pretty large tennis bracelet and 2 rings project and he is asking for 18PD like this pic from an old post. ring 3 is 18K pd from DBL. I need to know what they are alloying here. 75 Au/ 25 PD is not this white.
Thank you!
Best regards,
Mary
ring 3 18K pd from DBL.png coming in next week

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I doubt any alloy of 18k is only two metals (ie. 25% Pd) - there will be other trace metals. I don’t know the exact alloy of DBL’s palladium WG, unfortunately, but you’re of course welcome to reach out to them -
www.diamondsbylauren.com

mghdi1120

Rough_Rock
Trade
I'm going to use this mix. Anyone have any good advice? David F from DBL was not willing to help or give any info or advice. We are going to use Platinum investment and pray!
united metals casting grain ready mix.png

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
I'm going to use this mix. Anyone have any good advice? David F from DBL was not willing to help or give any info or advice. We are going to use Platinum investment and pray!
united metals casting grain ready mix.png

Like David I do not question my casting CAD houses on their alloys - they each have secret formulae.
Our main source, the largest in Australia, is run by an ex employee I bought to Australia and helped get citizen ship. He is brilliant and I have no reason not to trust him.
Our secondary source patented one of the first ever non tarnishing silvers.

We know if the alloys work and perform as expected, and there are different alloys for bands and settings etc. We clean each separately and polish prior to soldering assembly.

You are micro managing the process in my opinion.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Who is the quote from?
As far as the alloy goes 75% gold .25% silver and 14.65% PD and 10.1% other is pretty much useless info.
Ask them what the other 10.1% is and they would likely say trade secrets.
75% gold and ~15%PD is common with the rest varying widely.
So im with Garry and David in not saying anything bad or good about that specific allow mainly because there is not enough info and I'm not a metallurgist.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
David F from DBL was not willing to help or give any info or advice.

All due respect...I'm always eager to assist when possible.
Like Garry, I do not question my benches on metallurgical content. We've had maybe two requests over 22 years for unplated white gold...I can actually only specifically remember one ( Hi @yssie !!!)...so it's not in the "Rolodex" of info that is needed....
I apologize if it came off as unwilling........

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Anyone have any good advice?

Not for nothing....this got under my skin a bit today- I'm only human.
You're writing as a trade member.
You emailed me, saying nothing about being in the trade, asking if we can make some pieces in a super rush- and specific questions about alloys...and where we buy them.
I've had hundreds of trade members call or email and ask questions over the years.
I do my best to assist.
My job is actually assisting consumers, but I think the industry works better with goodwill extended towards our competition, as well as clients.
As a tip- next time you're asking help from someone in the trade, identify yourself as a trade member.
The folks here are so kind- and incredibly knowledgeable.

Still- if one is in the trade, they should be able to find these answers themselves. And as far as PS....it's probably a good idea not to speak badly of other trade members who are here trying to assist.

mghdi1120

Rough_Rock
Trade
Other metals contain approximately 7% of Copper, 3% of zinc, 0.25% of silver.
Just an FYI,
This is PD 11 from united precious metals refining in NY.
Having read extensively and being a bit analytical by nature this is where I have landed. I will post results pics. Here are the cads so far Gabi final CAD approved.jpg cad of saph 7.08.jpg

mghdi1120

Rough_Rock
Trade
Not for nothing....this got under my skin a bit today- I'm only human.
You're writing as a trade member.
You emailed me, saying nothing about being in the trade, asking if we can make some pieces in a super rush- and specific questions about alloys...and where we buy them.
I've had hundreds of trade members call or email and ask questions over the years.
I do my best to assist.
My job is actually assisting consumers, but I think the industry works better with goodwill extended towards our competition, as well as clients.
As a tip- next time you're asking help from someone in the trade, identify yourself as a trade member.
The folks here are so kind- and incredibly knowledgeable.

Still- if one is in the trade, they should be able to find these answers themselves. And as far as PS....it's probably a good idea not to speak badly of other trade members who are here trying to assist.
Hello David,
I am sorry. It seemed to me that it was relatively clear.
I now know that to you it was not.
This was the first of 3 emails I sent to you.
I am 57 years old and have spent my carreer attempting to help everyone I know succeed. It has served me well. So far our trade has been as wonderful to me as anyone could hope for.
A blessing on your head!
Best regards,
Mary

Hello!
I have a project coming in that i need to cast in 18K PD. Several posts on pricescope refer to you in a very positive light.
I have cast 14K pure PD and the alloys now available from Hoover and Strong and stuller. Can you tell me if you cast in straight 58.3 AU and 41.7 PD? or if you mix something else in please? I need this to be as white as possible and it will be a little rushed.
Super grateful for your help and advise!
ring 3 18K pd from DBL.png

Warmest regards.,
Mary

Last edited by a moderator:

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hi Mary
Is publishing personal emails a way to help others?
You did directly ask where we buy metals and my response was extremely courteous.
I won’t post the email chain because don’t feel it’s proper for tradespeople to publish personal emails on a public forum.
Bless to you too.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
@mghdi1120
This really went off the rails- I apologize- sincerely.
Although you've been registered for years, you've got a whopping 7 posts....it's not reasonable to expect you to know how things work here.
As I indicated- I don't get involved in that aspect of manufacture, because it's so rarely a question asked by a consumer.
If I did know, I'd share the info on content, as possible. As far as where we buy: it is not permitted, (or smart), for a trade member to reveal sources/vendors here on PS.

For me- in an email situation: When others in the trade have asked me for a reference, I generally give it - when proper.
But, I honestly could not know you were in the trade, based on the emails...next time, my advice would be to clearly state that.:wavey:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results