shape
carat
color
clarity

What is the protocol for lost stud and claim?

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We need a PS rescue squad to help others in need when their gems go astray...:mrgreen2:

Any chairs in the room? Curtains? Use your hands and feel them all. I agree with others, darkness and a flashlight is helpful. When you lift rugs, place a solid colored sheet underneath where all the stuff will fall. That will make it easier to find anything lost.

I also like the idea of using a vacuum with tights over the hose-opening.

Yes, please. Party at my cozy but outdated City house really close to a great tourist city???

I think I am going back tomorrow morning. It’s driving me crazy. I’ll have to be back here Saturday early afternoon.

We have rehashed everything and have a few thoughts:

1) need to pick up the refrigerator or really focus under it because maybe the stud is stuck under it and has been sliding back and forth with it as we looked.

2) need to examine the rug area better.

3) need to do the torch at night thing (did it with the UV light but then I found out even the one with faint Fluor never showed up well when I tried it with that.)

4) need to do the Nylon or sock thing with the vacuum.

5) need to look throughout the entire house and outside as well.

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
@Wink i thought you were going to say she got the new ring and recovered the ruby from the poop!

LOL, no. I told her I did not want my wife sifting through horse poop. She was so grateful that I got a couple of get out of jail free cards...

Wink

stonewell

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Goodness @whitewave, I’m so sorry to read about your lost stud! I see there have been lots of great suggestions already listed. As frustrating as it is, don’t lose hope.

I had lost one of mine when a backing came loose. After tearing up the house for a week, no luck. I pretty much gave up at that point. Then as I was doing the laundry, I kept hearing something rattling in the dryer. Since I thought it was a zipper or button banging around, I didn’t give it any thought. Well, while cleaning the lint trap after the load finished, low and behold, there was my missing stud! It must have fallen into some clothing and went through a full wash. How it didn’t just fall completely into the deep recesses of the washing machine or dryer forever is beyond me.

I’m certain it’ll turn up in the most unlikely of places, so sending you tons of dust for a successful search!

acaw2015

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I lost my engagement ring, wedding ring and solitaire just hours before we were having family over for new years eve. Me and dh spent the wee first hours of this year searching everywhere... finally the *only* place we had not searched was the garbage that dh was supposed go have thrown out before the guests arrived. Sure enough. I had apparently thrown my rings in the garbage along with paper etc from the roses we got from my parents that day.... I had taken the rings off when I cut the flowers.
Really hope you will find your stud!! The feeling of having lost something is truly awful.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Goodness @whitewave, I’m so sorry to read about your lost stud! I see there have been lots of great suggestions already listed. As frustrating as it is, don’t lose hope.

I had lost one of mine when a backing came loose. After tearing up the house for a week, no luck. I pretty much gave up at that point. Then as I was doing the laundry, I kept hearing something rattling in the dryer. Since I thought it was a zipper or button banging around, I didn’t give it any thought. Well, while cleaning the lint trap after the load finished, low and behold, there was my missing stud! It must have fallen into some clothing and went through a full wash. How it didn’t just fall completely into the deep recesses of the washing machine or dryer forever is beyond me.

I’m certain it’ll turn up in the most unlikely of places, so sending you tons of dust for a successful search!

You know, I asked DH to check the lint trap when he was getting the laundry-- not sure if he did.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I lost my engagement ring, wedding ring and solitaire just hours before we were having family over for new years eve. Me and dh spent the wee first hours of this year searching everywhere... finally the *only* place we had not searched was the garbage that dh was supposed go have thrown out before the guests arrived. Sure enough. I had apparently thrown my rings in the garbage along with paper etc from the roses we got from my parents that day.... I had taken the rings off when I cut the flowers.
Really hope you will find your stud!! The feeling of having lost something is truly awful.

I went through the garbage twice but saved it all to go through again, nice and stinky by then for sure

I appreciate all of the examples of where jewelry ends up. It gives me hope and ideas!

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I lost one of my .75 studs off my bedside table. I searched the house, I mean I SEARCHED the house without luck.
A few days later taking the rubbish down the side path to the garbage bin area, my heart skipped a beat. I spotted my earring lying on the path amongst leaves and such bits of debris.
OMG I had found the earring part but oh no, the diamond is missing out of the setting.
I could have cried. I look back up the side path, and a tiny glint catches my eye.
Yup, it’s the diamond right on the edge of the concrete just shy of the gap between the path and brick garden wall aka no- mans land.
HOW?
I worked it out.
It had been knocked off the beside table when I made the bed. I had then stepped on it with my trainers where it had remained caught in the bottom tread until, whenever, I had walked down the concrete side path (rather than the carpet surface inside the house) for it to “pop out”.
To this day I still can’t believe I found, days later, not only the earring but the diamond as well.

You have no idea how many times I have told this story in the last few days!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LOL, no. I told her I did not want my wife sifting through horse poop. She was so grateful that I got a couple of get out of jail free cards...

Wink

I have to sift through it a few times a year to get worm egg counts but I'm sure you'll feel better for knowing that dear Winkie.:lol:

Luce

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hi WW,
So sorry about your lost stud. I lost my grandmothers diamond ring years ago, I had taken it off while cooking and thought I put it on the counter. I went through the garbage, crawled around the floor etc....no where to be found. The next time I cracked open my Betty Crocker cookbook, low and behold, it fell out. I hate the feeling of losing something so precious. Hope you find it soon!!! Hugs!!!

LaylaR

Shiny_Rock
Trade
That is a good idea about placing the other one to get perspective!

Are the baseboards all flush? If it is a tile floor, it could slide pretty far on that surface!

I think insurance will pay out after the loss whenever it is reported, with the agreement that if it is found you have to return one of them to the company. Didn’t @LaylaR find something long after her insurance claim paid out for a replacement?
:wavey:
Yes. My engagement ring. We had to pay the money back. :$$):

KristinTech

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Looking on the bright side :mrgreen2: —can we all take a moment to commend whitewave with either:
1) Packing her ultrasound to take to her vacation home, or
2) Purchasing a spare ultrasound to keep there.

That’s dedication to keeping the jewels looking beautiful over a long weekend! :appl:

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Looking on the bright side :mrgreen2: —can we all take a moment to commend whitewave with either:

That’s dedication to keeping the jewels looking beautiful over a long weekend! :appl:

Lol:dance: I have 2 and am seriously considering getting one for my RV. I nearly took it with me to Canada. :lol:

My insurance company has called me 3 times that I have missed. With my agent in the Caribbean, their local phones roll over to the call center. So we have been playing tag.

I bought an even bigger torch for monday, so I'll have a larger one and a smaller one for lio

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
for looking (keyboard froze, edit won't work above).

If I findit, you had better believe I'll take a pic of where it is, since you all have been so helpful.

prs

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Whitewave, have you tried lying on the floor, on your side such that one of your eyes is at floor level? You should then be able to look along the floor and spot anything that protrudes up from the floor, nomatter how small. Maybe worth a try just to eliminate some fairly large areas from further searches.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Pretty sure you mean "ultrasonic" instead of "ultrasound"! :lol:

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Whitewave, have you tried lying on the floor, on your side such that one of your eyes is at floor level? You should then be able to look along the floor and spot anything that protrudes up from the floor, nomatter how small. Maybe worth a try just to eliminate some fairly large areas from further searches.

Definitely will do that today.

Update: insurance agent said she would definitely not recommend I put a claim in, but it’s my choice.

So I won’t

I’m going to stay at the other house until I find it.

stonewell

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Sending you lots of dust for a successful search today @whitewave!

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks. I’ll keep you all posted.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’ve tossed the one I have all over and after searching the kitchen floor, I have decided it didn’t hit or land on wooden floor. That makes the ping ping ping ping sound

Tossing it against a wall and it landing in the floor sweep bucket makes a very similar noise that I remember, so I have to search the room that was in which adjoins the kitchen and the den by a hallway.

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Keeping my fingers crossed.

Were any windows open? Look on the window sashes and all those horizontal surface around the windows.

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't know if you mentioned this but if you have any furniture in the room take all the cushions apart and run your hands down any crevices. Studs are sneaky little buggers.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
81C022A6-9130-4A60-89EF-B4FFF0492F06.jpeg I found it!!! I found it!! I found it!!!

It was so far back where the dishwasher is right under the countertop that when I opened the dishwasher, I saw it fall in to the bottom of the inside!

Photo is a re-enactment lol

KristinTech

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
81C022A6-9130-4A60-89EF-B4FFF0492F06.jpeg I found it!!! I found it!! I found it!!!

It was so far back where the dishwasher is right under the countertop that when I opened the dishwasher, I saw it fall in to the bottom of the inside!

Photo is a re-enactment lol

Wow!! So happy for you, ww!!

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh my gosh! That’s so awesome! :appl:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results