shape
carat
color
clarity

What is the protocol for lost stud and claim?

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
i was walking in my kitchen and had my studs in my left hand as I was bringing them to the magna sonic. They caught on my pant leg and one went flying and I heard it hit something.

3 of us have looked and looked and it is no where to be found!!!!!

Where could it be? My kitchen is small. I am tearing my kitchen up tonight looking for it.

Obviously, I prefer finding it but I seriously thought we would have found it by now. It's a .70 in a 3 prong martini, so not tiny. I will keep looking but these are my everyday pair and the space where it was lost is small. I suppose it is possible I did the incredible and it landed in the sink drain? It landed with a thud thud, not a ping ping ping ping.

Using flashlight and hopefully a UV light tonight.

What is the expected time frame to claim a lost piece? Again, I don't want to put a claim in, but I am seriously thinking at the moment that it may have landed in a non-returnable place. (Old house, nooks and crannies, etc)

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Check your policy first to make sure it covers accidental loss and if there are any policy restrictions/ requirements. Also check what your excess is (if you have one) and how your premiums might increase as a result of making a claim.
Check all your clothes and shoes and the rest of the house in case it was subsequently caught up in shoes or socks and “walked” elsewhere.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Does the stone have fluorescence? I assume so since you mentioned the UV light. That should really help find it if it is in a spot where it could be visible. So sorry it's missing, though!

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh no! I agree you should extend your search to the adjoining rooms. It’s surprising how far something like that can fly or bounce. I hope you find it!

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I lost one of my .75 studs off my bedside table. I searched the house, I mean I SEARCHED the house without luck.
A few days later taking the rubbish down the side path to the garbage bin area, my heart skipped a beat. I spotted my earring lying on the path amongst leaves and such bits of debris.
OMG I had found the earring part but oh no, the diamond is missing out of the setting.
I could have cried. I look back up the side path, and a tiny glint catches my eye.
Yup, it’s the diamond right on the edge of the concrete just shy of the gap between the path and brick garden wall aka no- mans land.
HOW?
I worked it out.
It had been knocked off the beside table when I made the bed. I had then stepped on it with my trainers where it had remained caught in the bottom tread until, whenever, I had walked down the concrete side path (rather than the carpet surface inside the house) for it to “pop out”.
To this day I still can’t believe I found, days later, not only the earring but the diamond as well.

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I lost one of my .75 studs off my bedside table. I searched the house, I mean I SEARCHED the house without luck.
A few days later taking the rubbish down the side path to the garbage bin area, my heart skipped a beat. I spotted my earring lying on the path amongst leaves and such bits of debris.
OMG I had found the earring part but oh no, the diamond is missing out of the setting.
I could have cried. I look back up the side path, and a tiny glint catches my eye.
Yup, it’s the diamond right on the edge of the concrete just shy of the gap between the path and brick garden wall aka no- mans land.
HOW?
I worked it out.
It had been knocked off the beside table when I made the bed. I had then stepped on it with my trainers where it had remained caught in the bottom tread until, whenever, I had walked down the concrete side path (rather than the carpet surface inside the house) for it to “pop out”.
To this day I still can’t believe I found, days later, not only the earring but the diamond as well.

OMG what a story!!!!

Whitewave: what a draining situation...I'm sorry and hope you find your stud soon. I agree with the others that it often takes a while to find lost items in your house.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That sucks; I’m so sorry! Are there any air/heating vents it may have fallen into?

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Try putting a knee high or pair of hose over the attachment on your vacuum then go into all crooks and nannies, that might do the trick.

And check where you might not think due to the bounce factor Bonfire mentions.

Hope it turns up, sending you finder's dust and pray to St Anthony, patron saint of missing things never hurts!

Also, get a bucket and get under the sink to check the waste pipe, many a piece of jewellery has ended up there.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks, everyone. DH is taking the pipe off the sink on case it was a perfect shot, and we are also going to do the sock thing on the vacuum.

I'm at my vacation home and have to go to my real house today. I'm going to come back as soon as I can to keep looking,

I cant believe how hard this is. It even has the back on it, so its pretty substantial looking. I keep putting the other down in places to see perspective and its not small.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks, everyone. DH is taking the pipe off the sink on case it was a perfect shot, and we are also going to do the sock thing on the vacuum.

I'm at my vacation home and have to go to my real house today. I'm going to come back as soon as I can to keep looking,

I cant believe how hard this is. It even has the back on it, so its pretty substantial looking. I keep putting the other down in places to see perspective and its not small.

Go over all areas with a torch too, my guess is it bounced and it could have gone onto your clothing and fallen off like Bron says.

KristinTech

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
That is a good idea about placing the other one to get perspective!

Are the baseboards all flush? If it is a tile floor, it could slide pretty far on that surface!

I think insurance will pay out after the loss whenever it is reported, with the agreement that if it is found you have to return one of them to the company. Didn’t @LaylaR find something long after her insurance claim paid out for a replacement?

tuckie

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Good luck! Sending stud-finding dust to you!

(Actually, I could use some stud-finding dust myself, though my earrings have not been lost :twisted2:)

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HOW?
I worked it out.

Incredible story!

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is a good idea about placing the other one to get perspective!

Are the baseboards all flush? If it is a tile floor, it could slide pretty far on that surface!

I think insurance will pay out after the loss whenever it is reported, with the agreement that if it is found you have to return one of them to the company. Didn’t @LaylaR find something long after her insurance claim paid out for a replacement?

Its an old, teardown type clapboard wood house from 1945. We laid the plank flooring that clicks in over the linoleum (worried about abestos backing) and so I pulled up the end pieces just in case.

(We will tear down after main house mortgage is paid-- soon!! And all kids are out of college)

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What's aggravating is I heard it hit something! But I didn't see where it went and I'm not sure of the direction. The entire house might be 1100 sqft!!! So it has to be in here somewhere! I even checked in the garbage can!!

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Did you have any open canisters/containers sitting on the floor, table or countertops that it could have landed in?

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
285186BE-B90F-47F2-A979-6081CCE87730.jpeg

One of the earrings has faint Fluor and the other has none so I am guessing the one with faint Fluor is the one I have.

I took everything off the countertops last night, so not on countertops. Nothing was open.

I simply can’t get over this!!!!! Even my mom
Came over last night (admittedly not much help lol but you never know who might spot it), so i’ve had 4 carefully controlled people in here looking for it— one is an insurance underwriter and even he can’t get over this.

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow crazy story @Bron357! I can only imagine how upsetting this is especially since you are only there temporarily. I’m sure you have looked under furniture and behind drapes, clothes that were worn (and hamper) It’s there somewhere! :think:

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m about done looking ;( the only place left is the sink pipe.

I think I’m just going to buy another one— doesn’t seem worth it to put a claim in for $2500-$3000 Though I did put a call into my insurance agent to see what the details are.

The only reason I wouldn’t put a claim in is that I would think it would turn up eventually. I want to get another ASAP because these are my favorite and daily pair of earrings.

On the other hand, if this did turn up after a claim, I would gladly turn it into the insurance company.

I really can’t get over this. Ladies (and gents), don’t take your earrings off until you are at your magnasonic cleaner— and not eight feet at the most away from it while walking toward it!!

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
6805E2BE-063F-4511-B925-F6709571F382.jpeg Don’t laugh at my kitchen— it is cozy but as I mentioned, if I sold it today it would be torn down tomorrow.

This is the space I’m talking about— you can see where I pulled up flooring. And everything is a wreck because I’m searching sections at a time.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Good luck! Sending stud-finding dust to you!

(Actually, I could use some stud-finding dust myself, though my earrings have not been lost :twisted2:)

Sorry, I couldn't resist! Your wish is my command and I hope he makes WW smile too!

f8f8604395502f7f6fe4646655aed1af.jpg

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Have you taken the dog crate apart in case it's bounced under the tray or stuck in the bars?

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Undee the kitty crate or the white box?

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yeah, I’ve Pulled the crate apart also, twice. Same with the box.

My agent is out of the country so I called claims. She said there is no set time for me to look, but they do want me to give it a little time because it seems it must be in here somewhere. (From her own personal experience with losing a ring— turned up days later with “fresh eyes” as she said.)

DH wondered if one of the dogs ate it and we even checked their paw pads!!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Have you checked your brooms and dustpan brushes in case it got stuck in those?

Funnyface850

Rough_Rock
Premium
My house is old too and I can understand the nooks your referring to. Have you looked where the dishwasher meets the flooring? Sometimes they slide the dishwasher on top of tile and sometimes not (if not there is a metal kick plate of sorts with a nice gap). Under the stove and refrigerator? You can usually pop off the guard under the refrigerator to clean etc. Hope you find your earring.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wait till it's dark too, turn all lights off in the kitchen, make it as dark as you can and go over everything with a torch, with luck it'll show up then.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Have you checked your brooms and dustpan brushes in case it got stuck in those?

We did.

Funnyface, We moved the fridge and I cleaned under it but I do need to pop off the guard and see if it is stuck in there. When I started, I focused on the dishwasher area because that is the direction I was headed in.

I appreciate everyone's suggestions! Keep them
Coming in case I missed something. The den adjoins the kitchen and is about the same size, so I am about to tackle that again (we looked last night).

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wait till it's dark too, turn all lights off in the kitchen, make it as dark as you can and go over everything with a torch, with luck it'll show up then.

I did this last night with the UV light but not the spot light. I will need do it when I come back (senior play this weekend, confirmation practice tomorrow night and confirmation on Sunday. Rescheduled mammo on Monday so Monday evening will be the soonest I can come back).

Before I went to bed, I put the one I have on the floor and hit it with the uv light and this one didn’t light up with UV light so that was a waste of time in retrospect.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results