shape
carat
color
clarity

What is the protocol for lost stud and claim?

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Maybe check top and bottom borders of any baseboards to make sure it didn't get kinda "stuck," and I'm sure you already checked all the lower cabinets ... and sounds like you maybe should check the treads of any shoes/boots? I hope you find the diamond stud!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think when I come back I’m going to get my cousin to bring her 7 and 9 year old girls here and give them $20 each to look. Young eyes, ya know?

Great idea! I have a feeling you're going to find it!

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It didn’t go down the sink. :(sad:knockout: I was holding out hope that would have been it...

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It didn’t go down the sink. :(sad:knockout: I was holding out hope that would have been it...

Never mind, I have a feeling you will find it.:))

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
At this point, I am 100% convinced its gone.

I will wait to file a claim though, just in case

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
By any chance, do you have a cuff on the pants you were wearing?

I dropped a diamond in a store where I worked right after graduating from GIA. My boss and I and two other employees all looked for two hours. Finally, my boss suggested I look in my pants cuff. Whew! There it was.

I am sure hoping you find it!

Wink

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, whitewave, I hope you find it. I have dropped one of my studs in my closet (where my jewelry box hangs on the wall) and I have found them the weirdest places, like inside shoes, and inside a basket that holds my flip flops. I am hoping and praying you find it.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
By any chance, do you have a cuff on the pants you were wearing?

I dropped a diamond in a store where I worked right after graduating from GIA. My boss and I and two other employees all looked for two hours. Finally, my boss suggested I look in my pants cuff. Whew! There it was.

I am sure hoping you find it!

Wink

Would you judge me if I said I was wearing pjs
At 4 pm on a Monday? Lol. No slippers either. Totally slumming it.

At this point, I’m down to collecting dog poop and straining it just in case one of the bulldogs ate it.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, whitewave, I hope you find it. I have dropped one of my studs in my closet (where my jewelry box hangs on the wall) and I have found them the weirdest places, like inside shoes, and inside a basket that holds my flip flops. I am hoping and praying you find it.

That is why I’m going to come back on Monday and try again. I told my older teens/20something that I’m putting a $500 reward up if they come here and find it.

I still can’t get over this. I have nowhere else to look but hope I find it somewhere weird in the next month.

Now I have to find a new pair of daily earrings. Poop!

My insurance agent is in St. Barth’s so I can’t confirm if my policy covers lost items (but it is cash out and I think it does cover lost items)

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That stinks. How about behind the toe kick below your lower cabinets. I think there could be a little space there between the cabinet and toe kick? It could have bounced up and behind that molding there...good luck!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

At this point, I’m down to collecting dog poop and straining it just in case one of the bulldogs ate it.

If it were one of my dogs, I'd definitely be straining poop.....:eek2::tongue:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sending you buckets of dust that you find your stud @whitewave

fairy%20dust.gif

and barring that or in addition perhaps one of these studs will turn up...hey just thought of this...can you ask a fireman for help? They are very very useful in rescuing cats stuck in trees and perhaps this stud can find your diamond stud...

firemanrescuingcat.gif

just adding a little levity.:sun: Hugs and hope you find the earring whitewave!

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I too live in a older home, victorian era. Do you have any cold air returns or heat vents it could have bounced into? My then 3-year old son dropped one of my rings down the heat vent. That was a fun few hours.:eek2:

Inspect your toe-kicks (great idea mentioned above) and baseboards. Also, if you have thresholds between doorway, poke around those. Lots of little gaps possible. Assume the darn thing landed diamond down and you are looking for just a snick of gold.

Sending lots of kind thoughts!!!

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks, everyone! My MIL mentioned a pull out water holder behind the grate in the fridge and DH just checked that. Nothing

We have central air/heat so no floor furnaces, vents or radiator type furnaces.

We are leaving now to go back home. Sigh.

I’ll keep you all posted.

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Know any botanists? They are wonderful at finding small subtle things...

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade

I judge you to be totally properly dressed while on vacay. Relaxed and comfortable. That seems to be a pretty good way to be to me!

Wink

metall

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Oh geez! I am so sorry to read/hear about your lost stud! Sending lots of stud dust your way!

Studs are slippery little buggers. I had pearl stud pop out of my ear at work one day, in my 3 ft by 3 ft cubicle go missing. Long story short, after hours combing my office for it - I found it in the small penny pocket of my jeans. Silly thing bounced off my carpeted office floor, into an overnight bag I happened to have with me and into my pants pocket.

You should check any plastic bags, soft cloth/fabrics bags, cushions, etc you happen to have in the room and adjacent rooms. Sometimes, when you don't hear the extended metal clatter, it means it ended up somewhere soft and fabric.

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I had something similar happen and it had bounced inside a BOOT!

rocks

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

My labradoodle knocked one off my nightstand and ate it when he was a puppy. I heard him chew on it and couldn't get to him fast enough. The next day my hubby took a panoramic X-ray of his gastro intestinal area (picture flailing puppy and assistant trying to get the shots). Hubby's best friend is a vet. He suggested soaking pieces cotton ball in honey and feeding it to the puppy. Two days later....you guessed it!

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
My labradoodle knocked one off my nightstand and ate it when he was a puppy. I heard him chew on it and couldn't get to him fast enough. The next day my hubby took a panoramic X-ray of his gastro intestinal area (picture flailing puppy and assistant trying to get the shots). Hubby's best friend is a vet. He suggested soaking pieces cotton ball in honey and feeding it to the puppy. Two days later....you guessed it!

When my soon to be wife and I lived in Rio de Janeiro, I took her shopping for an engagement ring and she chose a beautiful ring with three princess cut rubies set baseball field style so that the corners at first base and third base of the center ruby were touching first base on the ruby to the left and third base on the ruby to the right. Then there were eight small diamonds surrounding the three rubies. Very pretty ring and just at the outer limit of what I could afford. ($350 gold was only $50 per ounce or so back then and labor in Brasil was much cheaper than in the U.S. As a Sgt in the Marine Corps, I only made $300 or so a month.)

Fast forward a few years, and she was at the stable with her horse, talking with one of her friends. Her horse reached over to her hand and chomped on the ring, and swallowed center ruby. She called me in tears and promised to put the horse in a stall and sift the poop every day until the ruby appeared.

I told her no and gave her the ring I had been thinking of getting for her. Then I made a delightful pair of earrings from her remaining gems.

I guess, in a way, you could say her lost stone had a happy ending.

Wink

doberman

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ugh how frustrating! I feel your pain as I once lost a 2ct diamond out of its setting. I'm sure you've checked everything. Were there any open drawers that it may have bounced into?

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm reading all of these lost and found (or lost) stone stories.

No drawers were open but I'm thinking i need to go back to the rug area adjacent to the kitchen and search there. I keep tying to remember the "thump-thud" sound and i initially felt it hit something at first, but what???

It may have continued on to the rug.

I'll have fresh eyes on Monday.

@Wink i thought you were going to say she got the new ring and recovered the ruby from the poop!

tuckie

Shiny_Rock
Premium
One last thought is to check "high" vs. "low".
Maybe it somehow trampoline bounced on top of something?

Good luck WW!

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You are gonna find it - it is in the house somewhere! Darkness with a flashlight may be your best bet of finding the pesky, hidden gem. Pick those rugs up and shake them too - it is there and you will eventually find it!

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We need a PS rescue squad to help others in need when their gems go astray...:mrgreen2:

Any chairs in the room? Curtains? Use your hands and feel them all. I agree with others, darkness and a flashlight is helpful. When you lift rugs, place a solid colored sheet underneath where all the stuff will fall. That will make it easier to find anything lost.

I also like the idea of using a vacuum with tights over the hose-opening.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results