shape
carat
color
clarity

What is the most beautiful diamond cut of all?

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
oohsparkly|1335579268|3182631 said:
Marcy -

Oohsparkly a PC is princess cut. :wavey:

D'oh! Of course. Now I realise what PC is - I felt bad that there HAD been a vote for the princess cut and I said there hadn't been, so I looked up your original comment-

Cushion and PC are really pretty and I love to see them on PS but I don't think I'd pick them out for my ering.

I'd say it's definitely a nod toward them but not quite a vote...

I'd vote for any shape diamond because I would gladly have one of each. :bigsmile:

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
the one that makes your heart go pitter patter every time you see it

oohsparkly

Shiny_Rock
Rhino|1335546584|3182282 said:
Correct. OEC's are round and OMB's are off round ... and were the precursors to what are marketed today as cushion. In comparison to the AVC, the AVR's are arguably equal insofar as beauty. They are not cut any less precise and their optics are tweaked to the hilt insofar as it concerns OEC cuts, even down to very specific upper and lower half angles like their AVC counterparts. The differences between these two cuts might best be described in an anaology that has been used here before concerning the "speed" of the scintillation. You see ... the larger the facets (and I'm speaking strictly to ideal cuts here) the slower the scintillation. More facets results in a quicker or speedier scintillation. So if I were to give a breakdown here's how I'd do it. In the world of Ideal Cuts (or diamonds with Ideal light performance) ...

Slow Contrast/Scintillation = AVC
Moderately Slow = AVR, OEC's with confirmed optics, Emerald/Asssher Cuts
Medium/Moderate = H&A Rounds, AGS Ideal Cuts, Princess of Hearts, Brellia, Jubilee
Moderately Fast = Solasfera, Eighternity, Octavia
Extremely Fast = Star129, Solasfera Princess
quote]

This great Rhino, thanks again. I was wanting to get some more understanding of these cuts to help hone my own taste and also to help other people in the same way. For me this goes into some new territory that I haven't seen on any other thread and has satisfied my curiosity about the difference between the AVC and the AVR.

Thanks also to DreamerD for your insights along the same line.

For those of us who don't have the opportunity to see some of these cuts in real life this is the next best thing. :appl:

oohsparkly

Shiny_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1335536907|3182161 said:
If I had the money and could have about 4 engagement rings, I'd have an asscher or emerald cut in a deco setting, an AVR in undetermined setting (maybe Van Craeynest), a large AVC maybe in the Victor Canera Sophia French Cut solitaire, and I'd still have the classic round brilliant in a Tiffany setting! I'd also like a three stone with AVR's in a setting like TGal is having made.

http://www.victorcanera.com/jewelry/engagement-rings/the-sophia-french-cut-solitaire.html

Diamondseeker this is exactly the kind of day-dreaming that made me start this thread!

Missy is thinking on the same lines
I agree with DiamondSeeker- if I had the money I would have a few ER's at least!
First for me will always be the round because (a well cut round) it is the most brilliant/sparkly to my eyes.
Second for me is the emerald cut- a fat emerald cut that is. Love them! I would love a simple 4-5 carat emerald cut solitaire.
Then I would love an AVC and then an OMC. So many beautiful cuts, so little money... :cheeky:

Wanna know what I would love? As well as my oval halo with pave that is BEING MADE AS WE SPEAK!!!! (Naaa, not really excited...) which is basically the idea of Frankiextah and Susimoo's ring but with bigger halo stones as in:

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-new-victor-canera-masterpiece-emilya-halo-meets-gog-h-a.172697/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-new-victor-canera-masterpiece-emilya-halo-meets-gog-h-a.172697/[/URL]

I would also love a 5 stone emerald cut with step cut trapezoids and tapered bullets, just like lady lulu's

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/leon-mege-ec-ring-pictures-as-promised.60789/page-2']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/leon-mege-ec-ring-pictures-as-promised.60789/page-2[/URL]

But I also need :bigsmile: an antique cushion in a warm color (with the tapered french cuts of course) exactly as lovestreet has it - a masterpiece:

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/feel-the-warmth-leon-mege-calibrated-french-cuts-avc.155906/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/feel-the-warmth-leon-mege-calibrated-french-cuts-avc.155906/[/URL]

Kind of like the idea diamondseeker and armywife mentioned of a 3 stone AVR - very modest, nice little RHR. :lol:

so that's all my dreamin' done....

PS. That's not OTT...is it? Naaaa....

lovedeals

Rough_Rock
I have been wanting to see old cuts in real life but only ever saw the modern cuts in jewellery stores. Recently for the first time I found a little niche jewellery store that had several, so I got to see some - was very excited. They had an old cushion cut with a big culet, set in a very pretty halo of pink diamonds. And they had what seemed an enormous 3 stone with round old cuts (though the center was only 1.24ct).

I was pretty shocked as I had expected to love these cuts after what everyone has said about them. The antique cushion was just meh. The big culet was just an ugly dark spot in the middle, and I saw no, or not much, beautiful fire or flashes of light. Didn't like it AT ALL.

The 3 stone was nicer, the rounds looked brighter and sparklier, with a much smaller (but still darkish) culet. Unfortunately, while they faced up much bigger than RBs, they also had noticeable dark areas as you moved it around. Being a 3 stone, there was always at least one diamond that was showing some of this darkness. Is that what you call windowing? Worst of all, and I know this probably just displays my ignorance, but they looked fake to me. If they had more sparkle/flash I may not have thought that.

I know it may be they weren't good cuts. I asked the sales assistant and she said they were from Canada and that the mine where they bought them from arranged the cutting as well...

I was all prepared to be in awe and wasn't. My balloon kind of deflated...

ringbling17

Ideal_Rock
Premium
For me, I would pick in this order-

H&A Round Brilliant- the most sparkliest in my eyes
Fat Juicy Pear- it has to be big bottomed, lol!
Cushion- I love the crushed ice effect
August Vintage Round/ OEC/ Transitional with fat arrows- I love the flower/ snowflake pattern

I am hoping to purchase a AVR next year if funds allow!

doubledouble

Shiny_Rock
Has to be AVR/OEC for me.. the "flowery" facets. They are so beautiful.

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My favorite diamond cut is the one that I've most recently fallen in love with, bought, and have just taken out of the ring box. :love:
First it was the square cut, now an ACA RB ...and who knows WHAT next month. I'm pretty sure there is an AVC out there are calling my name...

treasurehunter

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Rhino , What do you mean by the Pastel colours in the AVC , like a pastel yellow from the colour ?
What range of colours would you consider warm and/or creamy white.
Thanks

SparklyOEC

Brilliant_Rock
Right now, I'm obsessed with pears and ovals....particularly FCD's in either of these cuts. Of course, OEC, but I'm really finding as I take my time to look for my next ring, that I'm just not a 'round' type gal. LOL

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
treasurehunter|1393454026|3623699 said:
Rhino , What do you mean by the Pastel colours in the AVC , like a pastel yellow from the colour ?

Hi treasure. Not necessarily from the body color of the gemstone as it is solely a function of their cut and does depend on the lighting of course but there are quite a few videos as well as photography I and others have taken which capture the phenomena which is primarily seen/observed in natural daylight conditions . Some of the first photography published by Arjunajane (one of our very first AVC clients) shows it nicely. It is IMO seen most effectively when in natural daylight with the sun peeking through the clouds or ambient light conditions when the diamond is effectively grabbing light plus colors in the surrounding environment.

What range of colours would you consider warm and/or creamy white.
Thanks

Creamy white ... JKL
Warm M+

That's my personal opinion but there are some who may feel L may be the beginning of warm too. Thing is ... even in the lower colors and in natural day lighting you still see plenty of bright reflections. Hope that helps.

Kind regards,
Jonathan

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Karl_K|1335588934|3182718 said:

This ^

And it can be different diamonds at different points during your life.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Gypsy|1335331535|3180067 said:
For me.

OEC's are gorgeous and they face up so white not much beats a beautiful true vintage OEC for me.

Asschers are amazing but face up small and need higher color and clarity. But if I had an unlimited budget... not much beats them for me.

Emerald cuts. Elongated asschers to me. Look very flattering on a number of hands. Too big and they get to masculine for me but up to 4.5 carats they are lovely.

Ovals. YAY spread! If I'm trying to maximize budget not much beats these for spread plus the elongated shape is very flattering. And they look amazing in so many different settings. Hard to find a nice one.

As you can tell, I'm pretty much a personality over ideal light return kind of girl for myself. I want excellent light return but I'm willing to give up the ideal for personality.

So that's my answer from 2 years ago. Here's my update.

If I had unlimited funds here's what I would buy:

1. A 2.5-3 carat OEC. I love the pastels and the personality of OECs. I'd probably want one that is closer to a transitional, just because that's what I seem to favor.

2. I'd buy a 2 carat D-E-F oval. No bowtie and amazing performance would be requirements. I love ovals.

3. 3-4 carat Emerald cut. So elegant and so flattering on the hands.

4. 3 carat 8 main modern cushion brilliant.

I love my asscher. But I wouldn't buy another.

I'm still favoring personality over performance a bit. But I would make sure I got the best performing stones I could find no matter what the budget!

redroze

Shiny_Rock
And what about RBs? Not one vote yet for what is known to be the most popular stone in the general population?? :confused:
Very mysterious....

My favourite is round brilliant all the way, but I'm not at all surprised that others answered much differently. PS is a community of diamond aficionados and they have seen it all. I also haven't seen an OEC in person. Just like movie critics are more likely to be drawn to the unique, artistic movies rather than the mainstream blockbusters (I can relate being a movie buff), then PSers tend to prefer the unique and artistic and rare over the "best performing" RB so to speak.

I love all the other cuts but given the availability, assessment tools like HCA and IS and grading systems, it just makes more sense to go for the simple perfect beauty of a round. If GIA and AGS start including grading for fancy shapes however, I imagine that my vote would possibly change. Why hasn't someone caught on to that yet???

Forgot to add that I also noticed fancy cut owners here generally tend to be big...thus the optics and light performance tend not to be a big deal. If I could go with a 2 carat emerald cut that would be my choice over round, but in my budget and for the 1.3 carat size I wanted and felt suited my lifestyle, round is perfect.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
redroze|1393459332|3623748 said:
I love all the other cuts but given the availability, assessment tools like HCA and IS and grading systems, it just makes more sense to go for the simple perfect beauty of a round. If GIA and AGS start including grading for fancy shapes however, I imagine that my vote would possibly change. Why hasn't someone caught on to that yet???

AGS does grade princesses for light performance. And a select group of branded cushions (vintage faceted ones the like AVC and the Canera cushions, and hearts and arrows cushions like the BGD cushion and the Breilla).

The others are too hard as there are multiple facet patterns for each shape.

Radiants, ovals, cushions.. all have multiple possible faceting patterns, with cushions there are like a dozen, with radiants like half a dozen, and with ovals at least 5 that I can think of. And all of them have different angle combos for performance maximization and different depth needs... it's just A LOT.

With round brilliant you are talking ONE facet pattern. With princesses it is under 4 I believe. As for cushions. Like I said, there are only select ones, and they are all branded (so all the cushions from that line will have the EXACT same facet pattern) for conformity and ease of grading.

treasurehunter

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Thanks Rhino , do people prefer the Warm or Creamy look in the AVC?
How would you describe the yellow in S-T , U-V, W-X, Y-Z ?
Thanks ;-)

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
For rings, Emerald Cut is definitely my favourite, followed by Heart cut (I am a romantic at heart).

DK :))

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My update is that I sold the rb's and changed to an AVR for my e-ring, and I really love it! It could only be better if it was bigger, but I won't go down in color to get a larger size.

I still would love a large emerald cut in a deco setting, but that will likely have to be satisfied with a colored stone.

Still would like an AVC, too! Maybe someday????

kmystery

Rough_Rock
my personal favorite is a rectangular radiant cut diamond. don't think that they are that popular but I love them. my particular crush at the moment is Endless Summer's radiant with channel set princess cuts.

treasurehunter

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I have another question for Señor Rhino .
What is the difference in price between a modern signature cushion and an AVC of the same grade and why is the AVC more expensive.
Thanks

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Treasurehunter. He may not check back. Just start a new thread with "Jonathan at GOG, a moment of your time please" and ask whatever you want of him there .

Or better yet, call him for a chat. :wavey:

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
treasurehunter|1393460609|3623755 said:
Thanks Rhino , do people prefer the Warm or Creamy look in the AVC?

Hi treasure & Gypsy. :wavey: I had subscribed to this thread so I get the posts in my email.

I find people love all the varieties . White, warm & creamy. We're serving someone now who caught one of our vids on the brown colors with rosy undertones and we found him one. We'll do custom cutting upon request as long as we can find the material.

How would you describe the yellow in S-T , U-V, W-X, Y-Z ?
Thanks ;-)

No prob. I'd describe them as "buttery". I happen to wear an N myself but in an AVR.

I have another question for Señor Rhino .
What is the difference in price between a modern signature cushion and an AVC of the same grade and why is the AVC more expensive.

Good question. It all depends on what we pick up a signature for $$$. You see ... when we are hunting down modern faceted cushions that would qualify as signature cushions in our stock we are looking among the sea of cushions that are generally cut for weight which on average costs less. Since we've been doing this for quite some time and using the various technologies we've employed over the past 15 years we've grown familiar with many of the inventories of cutters across the globe and generally know what percentile of their inventory may be what would qualify and also what wouldn't. So certain characteristics we'll look for among the inventories of certain manufacturers and we're always exploring new ones that crop up as well. That however is just the first step because even if the cut is fine we have to ensure many other gemological features like surface breaching inclusions, grain levels, etc. The AVC costs us more because it requires very specific rough material that is cut to a very specific geometry. Cutters who are not limited to specific geometry's can cut off imperfections that we simply can't do with AVC as it would disrupt it's optics as well as impact spread and I'm not buying if those results are possible.

Kind regards,
Rhino

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Gypsy|1393542351|3624292 said:
Treasurehunter. He may not check back. Just start a new thread with "Jonathan at GOG, a moment of your time please" and ask whatever you want of him there .

Or better yet, call him for a chat. :wavey:

I'm fine with whatever you guys are. While I appreciate the kind words I'm not looking to turn this into an AV thread. There are many many beautiful diamonds.

Kindest regards,
Rhino

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Rhino|1393457994|3623731 said:
Karl_K|1335588934|3182718 said:

This ^

And it can be different diamonds at different points during your life.

Definitely. And my answer is different almost 2 years later.
My favorite cuts at this time in this order are:

Big gorgeous OEC with chunky crisp bright facets
Beautiful elegant emerald with clean fluid lines
And a soft antique cushion perhaps to switch up the look
Ooh almost forgot- a large lovely D colored oval with no bow tie
:love:
A girl can dream can't she? :bigsmile:

WillyDiamond

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Answer: the one on your finger

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
WillyDiamond|1393545125|3624324 said:
Answer: the one on your finger

Spoken like a true guy. :cheeky:

treasurehunter

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Or the one on your wifes finger

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ACA RB

kmarla

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Well truthfully I love almost every shape and would love to have one of each!
I guess my classic favourite would be the RB, but when I upgraded last year from a RB I chose a PC, which wasn't even on my radar initially. I think it's that I fell in love with the linear shape.....I always line up pics, furniture etc in straight lines and angles so maybe it was that natural affinity. Who knows?! I wasn't worried or thinking about trends, but just what felt right for me. Having said all that, I didn't know that there was such a thing as the AVR at the time. I've only ever seen pics of them, not real life, but let's just say that if I hadn't passed my 30 day return limit on the PC, I could easily be sporting an AVR right now. Fickle or what! :lol:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results