shape
carat
color
clarity

What is the most beautiful diamond cut of all?

oohsparkly

Shiny_Rock
by Skippy » 26 Apr 2012 16:29
I love my OEC but I do also love my Modern Round Brilliants. I am not changing my MRB for OEC since I enjoy both! heheh :love:

So Skippy, just a little question for you :naughty: WHAT IF YOU COULD ONLY HAVE ONE??

oohsparkly

Shiny_Rock
For me, I am really becoming captivated by the AVC. (I prefer something newly cut to a true vintage, and something I could rely on for light return). However I did know about this cut before I chose my diamond for my dream ring. Which was pretty momentous in my house I can tell you - not a light purchase at all! My husband sure got kisses the day he said that a particular sum of money that had come in could go for the ring I had always wanted!!!!

In the end, although I have plans for an AVC one day, when it comes to THE ring, I couldn't go past a brilliant cut. I did choose an oval rather than a round, because of the shape but I also LOVE the pretty faceting of the oval and prefer it over the round, but at the end of the day it is still a modern brilliant cut. While at the stage where I can only have one beautiful ring, it had to be a brilliant cut, for me.

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
YAY SKIPPY AND DS! :appl:

oohsparkly ... really ... THAT IS GREAT! Often we'll get emails from people who don't learn about these cuts until after the fact. What is good is you went into your decision with a good knowledge and most importantly you got what you want. Best counsel from this point ... ENJOY IT! :bigsmile: and continue to give your man lots of kisses. :lickout:

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love me a good pear cut. :love: So elegant, and great finger coverage.

oohsparkly

Shiny_Rock
Well I've just read through all the replies and I've got some questions and thoughts:

Charmypoo (and others who love 'true vintage' OECs) - Would you also like a newly-cut OEC? Or is it the 'Personality' and avoiding the 'cookie-cutter' effect that Gypsy mentioned that is important to you?

Black Jade - I totally get what you say about what suits your hand best. I too think that is a huge factor that goes beyond just the beauty of the actual stone. For a stone in a display case in a museum that wouldn't matter, but for a ring! it does.

Marcy - What is a PC cut?

Ame - I've seen pictures of crisscut diamonds in a rectangle shape (same as Ashoka??) and thought they were gorgeous. I didn't know you could get them in cushion shape? Or did I read that wrong?

Yssie - Thanks for your eloquent explanation of WHY you prefer the RB. It is great to hear not just the favorites but exactly why people love them. (BTW did you see my thread on deciding on my ring - you get a mention - [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/ph-d-in-pricescope-and-ring-teaser.173475/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/ph-d-in-pricescope-and-ring-teaser.173475/[/URL])

Rhino - I'm so glad you replied! It is completely reasonable for you to be hesitant to give your favorite, but I'm so pleased you did! I'm not surprised - I've watched lots of your videos and I can detect genuine extra levels of admiration for those AVCs! I have to say I want one so anyone lovin' on them would be 'preaching to the converted' where I'm concerned! They are beauties. I am nursing a secret (well.. DH knows) plan to give you a call about them one of these days....

I also appreciated your viewpoint that while the microcosm of Pricescope contains a lot of OEC lovers, the general community still on the whole will go for a RB. You get a bird's eye view of that so it's great to hear your perspective.

My only question for you would be - in comparison to the AVC - how do you feel about the AVR? From the thread so far I think that it is the round ones that are getting all the love... OECs are always round right?

Do you find the AVRs throw off the pastel colors as well as the AVC? And do they work as well in the warmer colors? How clear of a winner is the AVC for you over the AVR? (Bearing in mind the wisdom of Rockdiamond that we all 'see' diamonds differently of course!)

Thanks again to everyone for all the great replies.

PS Hi again Rhino - I just see your new post now. Thanks ever so. I wasn't gonna say it but I am now. I so appreciate the way you put other people's best interests first in your reply and whole approach. Your excellent reputation for honesty, genuineness and helpfulness is a great credit to you and I think you are making a huge contribution in an industry that can be scary for consumers because of the potential for deceit. Don't blush - you deserve the compliment!

And I think my DH will definitely go for the idea of more kisses :lol:

Lotus99

Shiny_Rock
"Most beautiful" is definitely in the eye of the beholder. It's like if you asked "what is the best car?" You'd get a million different answers, and none of them are "wrong."

I like almost all shapes for different things. The only ones I don't like are heart and princess. I chose an emerald cut for my engagement ring, but I could honestly have jewelry with most of the other cuts and not be unhappy. I'm currently thinking about an EW marquise ring. Not necessarily because I think marquise are the most beautiful, but I think they look interesting in certain settings.

I'm not sure why I dislike princess cuts so much. Perhaps I just have a negative perception because of some of the people I've known who like them.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I go back and forth about what I love. I can't choose one because I find all the cuts have plusses and minuses.

I really like modern RBs because they are basically the workhorse of diamond cuts, really putting on a good show in the most wide variety of lighting. For me, a good precision H&A is mind clean for me, and always meets my exacting standards for optical performance. My Aurora band it totally mind clean from a cut perspective because it is all RBs. The downside is they are a little boring because they are so common -- though an original and unique mount solves this.

I like OECs mostly because I can find them for good prices on ebay and I like deals :tongue: BUT I also love that each one is different. I own about eight right now, and have had about three more that I have sold, and each one is different and unique. As a cut nut, this is really interesting and fun because I like photographing them and seeing the unique faceting, and I like comparing them one to another and trying to see what might make *this one* so special, or what might make *that one* perform differently. Its like an experiment. The downside of OECs for me is that they are not perfect optically, and often have flaws like obstruction or over darkenss, which bug me deep down 8) But they are a really fun hobby stone for me. I have found a couple small stones that are near perfect optically, one that I sold and one I own presently, and I do think if I found a bigger stone that performed like they did then it would be a forever stone for me.

I have found that looking at macro photos on PS is NOTHING like seeing the stone in person. I was very obsessed with AVCs from the pictures on PS and then had the chance to own one in person. It was a gorgeous stone, but in person it is different than macro photos -- of course -- and I learned that for me cushions are not really a good choice. I prefer a little more BLAMMO optically, like an RB or even an OEC can provide. And I would not have known that without seeing it in person.

Same goes for OECs -- I think a lot of people fall in love because of macro pics on PS but unless you buy a 5ct stone, it won't look that way in person ;)) They are the trndy cut right now for sure, but most of their lovers have maybe never seen on in person?

Re: buying a modern precision cut OEC... I'd love to see one in person, but right now I would never shell out for one 8)

oohsparkly

Shiny_Rock
Thanks Lotus 99 - it is interesting that as yet there has been NOT ONE mention of princesses as a favorite! The RB lovers finally came out of the woodwork, but the the princess cut is known to be the second most popular in the general population... not a crumb as yet for it around here! :shock:

oohsparkly

Shiny_Rock
Dreamer_D|1335497989|3181997 said:
I go back and forth about what I love. I can't choose one because I find all the cuts have plusses and minuses. 8)

Wow DreamerD, this is an interesting thought. You're basically saying there is NO HOLY GRAIL of diamond cuts! From someone who obviously knows her diamonds this is kind of reassuring. Like we can just enjoy what we love about our stones and just accept that no stone is going to be able to do everything great that a diamond could possibly do.

Your other perspectives are very thought-provoking too... I totally get wanting the BLAMMO factor! But I found this sentence a little confusing for me about the AVC -
I prefer a little more BLAMMO optically, like an RB or even an OEC can provide
I can understand that the RB would have that in comparison to the AVC but are you saying that an OEC - which I thought was cut along similar lines to the AVC but not as precise (and diff. shape of course) - would have more effect? What exactly was it you felt the AVC lacked? - Fire, sparkle, (or just overall BLAMMO :lol: ).

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
oohsparkly|1335531285|3182112 said:
Thanks Lotus 99 - it is interesting that as yet there has been NOT ONE mention of princesses as a favorite! The RB lovers finally came out of the woodwork, but the the princess cut is known to be the second most popular in the general population... not a crumb as yet for it around here! :shock:

No offense to anyone, but I think princess cut is a bit trendy and will go in and out of style sort of like marquise, maybe. Rounds are timeless and never go out of style, and I think the antique cushions may come and go in popularity but are more of a classic cut and will always be considered beautiful like emerald cut, etc. Ironically, I would love to find a reasonably priced marquise and set it E-W!

If I had the money and could have about 4 engagement rings, I'd have an asscher or emerald cut in a deco setting, an AVR in undetermined setting (maybe Van Craeynest), a large AVC maybe in the Victor Canera Sophia French Cut solitaire, and I'd still have the classic round brilliant in a Tiffany setting! I'd also like a three stone with AVR's in a setting like TGal is having made.

http://www.victorcanera.com/jewelry/engagement-rings/the-sophia-french-cut-solitaire.html

VC rings 004_ds2006.jpg

artdecoring7.8x7.2mm.JPG

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree with DiamondSeeker- if I had the money I would have a few ER's at least!
First for me will always be the round because (a well cut round) it is the most brilliant/sparkly to my eyes.
Second for me is the emerald cut- a fat emerald cut that is. Love them! I would love a simple 4-5 carat emerald cut solitaire.
Then I would love an AVC and then an OMC. So many beautiful cuts, so little money... :cheeky:

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
oohsparkly|1335496665|3181984 said:
Ame - I've seen pictures of crisscut diamonds in a rectangle shape (same as Ashoka??) and thought they were gorgeous. I didn't know you could get them in cushion shape? Or did I read that wrong?

The Crisscut is a little different than an Ashoka though I have only seen one Ashoka in person.

The Crisscut comes in I think an Emerald, Asscher and Cushion and then they have some Round thing they did that I don't care much for. Sometimes I dream about a Crisscut Cushion or Asscher solitaire....

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
oohsparkly|1335535632|3182147 said:
Dreamer_D|1335497989|3181997 said:
I go back and forth about what I love. I can't choose one because I find all the cuts have plusses and minuses. 8)

Wow DreamerD, this is an interesting thought. You're basically saying there is NO HOLY GRAIL of diamond cuts! From someone who obviously knows her diamonds this is kind of reassuring. Like we can just enjoy what we love about our stones and just accept that no stone is going to be able to do everything great that a diamond could possibly do.

Your other perspectives are very thought-provoking too... I totally get wanting the BLAMMO factor! But I found this sentence a little confusing for me about the AVC -
I prefer a little more BLAMMO optically, like an RB or even an OEC can provide
I can understand that the RB would have that in comparison to the AVC but are you saying that an OEC - which I thought was cut along similar lines to the AVC but not as precise (and diff. shape of course) - would have more effect? What exactly was it you felt the AVC lacked? - Fire, sparkle, (or just overall BLAMMO :lol: ).

I compare the AVC I owned to the RB I owned here: [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/august-vintage-cushion-compared-to-a-bgd-round-brilliant.165243/?hilit=august%20vintage']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/august-vintage-cushion-compared-to-a-bgd-round-brilliant.165243/?hilit=august%20vintage[/URL]

To my eye an OEC is inbetween an RB and an antique cushion in terms of speed of scintillation and bold chunk, so it pleases my eye too.

OECs are not less precise than antique cushions. They are a different facet pattern entirely and can be cut very precisely.

RedheadDoll

Rough_Rock
I have an true antique cushion for my engagement ring. The stone's beauty blows me away every day. Chunky flashes, pretty pastels, total fireball. I am so happy I chose an antique cut. I will never go back to modern cut stones!

Diamond*Dana

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love my pear, oval and RB, but I love the spread of my oval :love:

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hello again. ::) My response/thoughts between the lines.

oohsparkly|1335496665|3181984 said:
Rhino - I'm so glad you replied! It is completely reasonable for you to be hesitant to give your favorite, but I'm so pleased you did! I'm not surprised - I've watched lots of your videos and I can detect genuine extra levels of admiration for those AVCs!

There are aspects about the cut and its appearance that invoke personal sentimental meaning to me which are reasons too.

I have to say I want one so anyone lovin' on them would be 'preaching to the converted' where I'm concerned! They are beauties. I am nursing a secret (well.. DH knows) plan to give you a call about them one of these days....

I also appreciated your viewpoint that while the microcosm of Pricescope contains a lot of OEC lovers, the general community still on the whole will go for a RB. You get a bird's eye view of that so it's great to hear your perspective.

My only question for you would be - in comparison to the AVC - how do you feel about the AVR? From the thread so far I think that it is the round ones that are getting all the love... OECs are always round right?

Correct. OEC's are round and OMB's are off round ... and were the precursors to what are marketed today as cushion. In comparison to the AVC, the AVR's are arguably equal insofar as beauty. They are not cut any less precise and their optics are tweaked to the hilt insofar as it concerns OEC cuts, even down to very specific upper and lower half angles like their AVC counterparts. The differences between these two cuts might best be described in an anaology that has been used here before concerning the "speed" of the scintillation. You see ... the larger the facets (and I'm speaking strictly to ideal cuts here) the slower the scintillation. More facets results in a quicker or speedier scintillation. So if I were to give a breakdown here's how I'd do it. In the world of Ideal Cuts (or diamonds with Ideal light performance) ...

Slow Contrast/Scintillation = AVC
Moderately Slow = AVR, OEC's with confirmed optics, Emerald/Asssher Cuts
Medium/Moderate = H&A Rounds, AGS Ideal Cuts, Princess of Hearts, Brellia, Jubilee
Moderately Fast = Solasfera, Eighternity, Octavia
Extremely Fast = Star129, Solasfera Princess

Another similar scale could be used describing how splintery or not each of these diamonds are in a practical observation. Seeing these varieties in person or via the videos we shoot help a person learn what is their own personal preference. I would never assume upon dreamer's comment but my educated guess would be that she prefers the slightly faster contrast/scintillation in some of her OEC's as compared to the speed of the AVC which is slower. Again, no detraction on beauty because different people are drawn to different personalities of diamond but that is her preference. I don't think she meant it as a negative thing but more as a personal preference kind of thing. She can clarify of course.

Do you find the AVRs throw off the pastel colors as well as the AVC?

Absolutely. In fact that is a feature that I've seen convert H&A lovers into AVR lovers. It's just that in the AVC's the reflections in natural light are broader. Under the table of an AVC you will have 4 large facets optically arranged to kick back natural light to its fullest. In the AVR instead of 4 larger facets you have 8. They are still broad enough to kick back pastels though. When you get to a 57 facet H&A you jump from 8 primary reflections under the table in an AVR to 24 reflections under the table (8 mains and 16 lower halves) and why H&A's have even faster scintillation than an AVR or excellently cut OEC. Larger facets are easier to resolve with the eyes and when they are extremely well cut are just gorgeous. We've had a few clients trade from AVC to AVR and are very happy. They always have the freedom of course to trade back if they find their taste changes.

And do they work as well in the warmer colors?

Absolutely. I wore a "P" color AVR in a mens ring for while. I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

How clear of a winner is the AVC for you over the AVR? (Bearing in mind the wisdom of Rockdiamond that we all 'see' diamonds differently of course!)

For me personally not by much. I could wear each and be very happy with either. :tongue: I do prefer the big flash and slow/broad contrast.

PS Hi again Rhino - I just see your new post now. Thanks ever so. I wasn't gonna say it but I am now. I so appreciate the way you put other people's best interests first in your reply and whole approach. Your excellent reputation for honesty, genuineness and helpfulness is a great credit to you and I think you are making a huge contribution in an industry that can be scary for consumers because of the potential for deceit. Don't blush - you deserve the compliment!

That means the world to me oohsparkly and I can't thank you enough for your kind words. ::) It is a pleasure to serve. I wish time allowed me to be more on these forums.

And I think my DH will definitely go for the idea of more kisses :lol:

Awesome! Did I mention a back rub too or would that be pushing it? :cheeky:

Have a great day!

Warm regards,
Rhino

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Looks like I read Dreamer right and appears we're on the same page with regards to "speed of scintillation". Correct me if I'm wrong Dreamer.

Md123456789

Shiny_Rock
I am pretty new to the world of diamonds but I love this thread! I have to say, Pricescope has opened my eyes to a lot of things I would never have noticed/considered before. I agree there is a huge differentiation for things that I love in pictures and love in real life. Before I got engaged, I would never have even considered liking anything besides a round brilliant! I also really despised halos before joining PS.

Just from reading this thread, I think I just fell in love with August Vintage Cuts and am currently frowning at my round brilliant (well, for more reasons than that).

Here are my thoughts/rankings on my favorite cuts:

- Round Brilliants- I love them as solitaires and really dislike them with round halos. They always look like flying orbits to me! Except for Frankie's, which could just be because it's massive and she has the prongs squaring off the stone. I love round brilliants set in cushion halos.

-Pears- Love them and they are probably my most favorite stone in a halo setting. I think they are modern and antique at the same time. Sometimes I think if I had more knowledge before getting engaged, I would have asked for a pear. (my fiance would have had the hardest time wrapping his head around this, i think!)

-Ovals- love them in solitaires and in yellow/rose gold (i.e. Amber Rose's engagement ring). I actually have only ever seen one in real life on a girl at the gym but i LOVED it.

- Cushions- I agree that these are a bit trendy and of the moment right now and I wonder about their staying power. I think a lot of that has to do with halo settings be so popular and how lovely this cut looks haloed. (Hence, why I like rbs in cushion halos! classic stone/trendy setting)

I am lukewarm on most square cuts but do think asschers, emeralds, and radiants can be beautiful. There is something very regal about emerald cuts to me.

I truly can't stand the look of Princess cuts. they are so HARSH to me. I think they are to the late 90s and early 2000's what the marquise was to the 80s.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Rhino|1335546701|3182286 said:
Looks like I read Dreamer right and appears we're on the same page with regards to "speed of scintillation". Correct me if I'm wrong Dreamer.

Yes you are right ::)

I do enjoy the faceting in really chunky cuts like the AVC and for up close viewing the AVC was great. But for me, I like high watt white light return, and I like medium speed of scintillation and those features are most evident in diamonds with smaller facets. I only learned this about myself over many years of diamond ownership and from trying out a few different styles of diamond cut.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
I agree with previous posters that this is all subjective. That being said, I think my very own OMC is the most beautiful diamond cut of all. I really do. I love it more every time I wear it.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Haven|1335564199|3182450 said:
I agree with previous posters that this is all subjective. That being said, I think my very own OMC is the most beautiful diamond cut of all. I really do. I love it more every time I wear it.

Your OMC is truly beautiful Haven. That is an objective statement btw as how could anyone not find it amazing!! :love:

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oohsparkly a PC is princess cut. :wavey:

oohsparkly

Shiny_Rock
Marcy -

Oohsparkly a PC is princess cut. :wavey:

D'oh! Of course. Now I realise what PC is - I felt bad that there HAD been a vote for the princess cut and I said there hadn't been, so I looked up your original comment-

Cushion and PC are really pretty and I love to see them on PS but I don't think I'd pick them out for my ering.

I'd say it's definitely a nod toward them but not quite a vote...

armywife13

Ideal_Rock
My favorite is a true, vintage OEC. I love the history, imperfections and uniqueness of them-no two are alike.

As far as the question about OEC lovers and AVRs, I think they are gorgeous as well! I would definitely consider buying them, maybe a 3 stone or eternity band. Yummmm. :lickout:

oohsparkly

Shiny_Rock
armywife13|1335579906|3182641 said:
My favorite is a true, vintage OEC. I love the history, imperfections and uniqueness of them-no two are alike.

As far as the question about OEC lovers and AVRs, I think they are gorgeous as well! I would definitely consider buying them, maybe a 3 stone or eternity band. Yummmm. :lickout:

Yet another OEC fan!

armywife - I'm feeling that 3 stone AVR idea has serious lightbulb inspiration all over it!! It wouldn't even have to be massively expensive (big) to look good, and it wouldn't be hard to find matching ones as they pretty much come matching... I'm thinking that's gotta go on my dream list...

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The most beautiful diamond cut of all is ANY cut that this guy gives you.

Clooney.jpg

oohsparkly

Shiny_Rock
kenny|1335581287|3182652 said:
The most beautiful diamond cut of all is ANY cut that this guy gives you.

lol.... Kenny, that's a great point you make there :lol: :lol: :lol:

And anyway, with him you'd have the cash to get what you really want later on :naughty:

Lotus99

Shiny_Rock
Yes, but he hasn't seemed too willing to hand out the diamonds to his lady friends. Well, at least not erings. Maybe he gives other diamond gifts.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lotus99|1335583075|3182675 said:
Yes, but he hasn't seemed too willing to hand out the diamonds to his lady friends. Well, at least not erings. Maybe he gives other diamond gifts.

Hmm.

Well, I ain't no lady.

Hmm. ;))

Lotus99

Shiny_Rock
kenny|1335583202|3182677 said:
Lotus99|1335583075|3182675 said:

Hmm.

Well, I ain't no lady.

Hmm.

I guess it wouldn't hurt to ask. :lol:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results