shape
carat
color
clarity

What is it about spinel?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
True. There's really no other stone, natural or man made, that mimics a gray spinel.

Gray diamonds are amazing as well. I own quite a few greenish grays. I think they’re incredibly dispersive, like gray spinels. If one is In the market for a gray stone, check out both gray diamonds and spinels. Just my two cents. ;-)

As for spinels, they’re the most underrated and under appreciated stones. Most people that appreciate them are gem aficionados like the people on this board. That’s okay, more for us!!

Nick_G

Shiny_Rock
I've always been in complete love with Spinels. Here's some of my favorites of mine, all taken in low light. 20181024_172804.jpg 20180828_144542.jpg 20181017_124458.jpg

Wow. The second blue one is stunning. Is that a cobalt spinel? It certainly looks like one.

leslie1956

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

LJsapphire

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
The first time I saw one in real life (a purple/grape one) I was mesmerised by the colour, the sparkle and the clarity. I'd still like to get one at some point.

Mrs_Strizzle

Brilliant_Rock
Wow. The second blue one is stunning. Is that a cobalt spinel? It certainly looks like one.
Thank you! I haven't sent it for a report yet but have had it tested locally as natural. I intend on doing so when I have it reset, maybe later this year. I bought it second hand. It has a deeper tone than most "cobalt" spinels I've seen online and is surprisingly magnetic (because the iron content), but is a very true vivid blue, and never blacks out. Most jewelers even mistake it for a sapphire.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you! I haven't sent it for a report yet but have had it tested locally as natural. I intend on doing so when I have it reset, maybe later this year. I bought it second hand. It has a deeper tone than most "cobalt" spinels I've seen online and is surprisingly magnetic (because the iron content), but is a very true vivid blue, and never blacks out. Most jewelers even mistake it for a sapphire.

Yes, nice blue and violet spinels rival nice sapphires and tanzanite.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
For me, I like they fact some are rare and come in neon colours. Sapphires come in beautiful blues but spinels come in what I describe as neon "Cookie Monster" Blues; Cobalt Spinels Sizes 1.JPG

My photos always make these look like blue sapphires my Iphone doesn't capture the weird almost synthetic neon "Cookie Monster" colour they (Yuc Yen Cobalt spinels) really are.

And there is very little (maybe neon hot pink red Burma rubies but nothing else I can think of) that matches neon & Jedi reds and pinks and Mahenge spinels either.
Jedi Spinels Angel cuts 2.JPG Spinel under UV no.1.JPG Spinels in Shade collection 1.JPG

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@voce, thanks for the link, however the colour does not suit.

Besides, I am not in the position to purchase any jewellery at present.

DK :))

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
For me, I like they fact some are rare and come in neon colours. Sapphires come in beautiful blues but spinels come in what I describe as neon "Cookie Monster" Blues; Cobalt Spinels Sizes 1.JPG

My photos always make these look like blue sapphires my Iphone doesn't capture the weird almost synthetic neon "Cookie Monster" colour they (Yuc Yen Cobalt spinels) really are.

And there is very little (maybe neon hot pink red Burma rubies but nothing else I can think of) that matches neon & Jedi reds and pinks and Mahenge spinels either.
Jedi Spinels Angel cuts 2.JPG Spinel under UV no.1.JPG Spinels in Shade collection 1.JPG
I love all of these so much

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it is just how lively they are.
And then, a good spinel looks beautiful in most lights.

wordie89

Brilliant_Rock
I have to agree with previous answers: sparkle, color, affordability (mostly) and no treatments are what made spinels attractive. The mahenges were just starting to light up the gemstone firmament when I stumbled onto this amazing place.

Attachments

• 20180428_181942.jpg
    20180428_181942.jpg
    172.1 KB · Views: 76
  • 2017-05-03 18.42.54.jpg
    2017-05-03 18.42.54.jpg
    138.7 KB · Views: 70

MissyBeaucoup

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Take a look at Kosnar Gem Co on Etsy. Their photos are pretty brightly lit and you can see the steely aluminum flashes. I have done business with Brad and they are nice to work with. He had a dark purple spinel oval and I believe it sold to a PSer.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
685A1B23-22C4-40AE-9E4E-68122A072F59.jpeg 4FBDD346-EB2D-4F36-B260-81B2122FD78F.jpeg E7884490-3F4E-4F84-9A2B-B83B494C13AA.jpeg B1E4E16E-6C80-45A2-B6DC-F743EAB5D3FC.jpeg

Just got back from the jeweler and he polished up my favorite spinel after adding double prongs. It was always coming loose in the 18k rose gold setting, and I would absolutely die if I lost this stone. It’s a 3 carat Tanzanian blue spinel. I think these photos capture the luster and sparkle, which is a huge reason to love this gem species.

Lexililac

Shiny_Rock
In my opinion spinels belong together with corundum, chrysoberyl and diamond to the top four in gems. All of them are unproblematic in durability, all of them have high RI and all of them show a wide range of lovely colors (diamonds on the last place in terms of color).

Spinels have a lovely, open and honest appearance thanks to their single refractivity. There are no difficulties with color zoning or orientation to the C-axis like in corundum. So they are very "easy gems" compared to their closest relatives, the corundums. Only difficult point in spinels are the color! The majority of spinels have problems with color because of 1. to dark tones witch creates overly dark and unattractive gems, 2. bad secondary color witch creates gems they just look lovely in bright daylight and in not optimal light the secondary color disturbs their beauty. So often seen in Tunduru spinels for example, where a grayish/metallic secondary color/tone disturb the color, or the color of a spinel is a mix of for example something like pink, purple, red, orange and such spinels with no clear color look always "mix" and unclear and not so attractive even they haven't a problem with tone or saturation. 3. Many spinles are not saturated enough to be very attractive. Even in pastel colors its a huge difference if you've a saturated pastel color or a not saturated pastel color. In not perfect lightning conditions you will see the difference.

Spinels are for me like the bunnies in the gem world, they have a open uncomplicated and sunny mood and like the bunnies, there are plenty of them! But most of them get eaten, the very few surviving are so beautiful that they do looot of babies/pleasure.

LJsapphire

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
The first time I saw one in real life (a purple/grape one) I was mesmerised by the colour, the sparkle and the clarity. I'd still like to get one at some point.

Should add for reference
30716204_10155572686123435_2588812464654854423_n.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lexilliac,
Yes, many spinels tend to have a gray or brown modifier. I remember when I first started looking into spinels for my collection, and I thought it was such an unattractive gem species. Then I finally saw a beautiful one, and the love affair began.

I’m glad you mentioned chrysoberyl. Yellow chrysoberyl is one of the most underrated and ignored gems. It’s super durable, often has saturated color, sparkles like mad, is untreated, and extremely affordable. I know alexandrite is it’s more popular form, but considering the expense and myriad of treatments in yellow sapphire, I think yellow chrysoberyl is a fabulous alternative.

voce

Ideal_Rock
I remember when I first started looking into spinels for my collection, and I thought it was such an unattractive gem species. Then I finally saw a beautiful one, and the love affair began.
That was also my experience with spinels. I don't care for the ones that are moody or over dark or dull from masks, but the beautiful ones that sparkle like mad take my breath away.

Lexililac

Shiny_Rock
Lexilliac,
Yes, many spinels tend to have a gray or brown modifier. I remember when I first started looking into spinels for my collection, and I thought it was such an unattractive gem species. Then I finally saw a beautiful one, and the love affair began.

I’m glad you mentioned chrysoberyl. Yellow chrysoberyl is one of the most underrated and ignored gems. It’s super durable, often has saturated color, sparkles like mad, is untreated, and extremely affordable. I know alexandrite is it’s more popular form, but considering the expense and myriad of treatments in yellow sapphire, I think yellow chrysoberyl is a fabulous alternative.

Yes chrysoberyls can be enormous sparkly!! Especially if they are nicely cut and with open colors.
Bildschirmfoto 2019-02-17 um 17.34.46.png
Those are two such sparklers..

Lexililac

Shiny_Rock
Color isn't very accurate in my chrysoberyl pic. Here are a more professional and accurate pic from adamant international. Im very happy about everything Ive from them:))
Bildschirmfoto 2018-02-27 um 19.32.54.png
IMG_3421.jpg
And here in UV light witch lovely shows the content of chromium in that chrysoberyl

Attachments

• Bildschirmfoto 2018-02-27 um 19.32.38.png
    Bildschirmfoto 2018-02-27 um 19.32.38.png
    618.8 KB · Views: 16

voce

Ideal_Rock
Color isn't very accurate in my chrysoberyl pic. Here are a more professional and accurate pic from adamant international. Im very happy about everything Ive from them:))
Bildschirmfoto 2018-02-27 um 19.32.54.png
IMG_3421.jpg
And here in UV light witch lovely shows the content of chromium in that chrysoberyl
That's a gorgeous chrysoberyl, but it's vanadium that makes it fluoresce. Chromium is not the only element making gems fluoresce under UV.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
0AC4464F-C4C5-4860-A17F-5AD5027791A5.jpeg CFC4C314-57ED-440A-8B3C-4A29D5F1BA41.jpeg
My fav spinel in fluorescent Home Depot light. I need something to look at while hubby drags me there, lol. It’s a color shifter from blue (daylight) to violet.

voce

Ideal_Rock
Gorgeous. It's such a treat when you show us your rings, T L.

Reactions: T L

Lexililac

Shiny_Rock
0AC4464F-C4C5-4860-A17F-5AD5027791A5.jpeg CFC4C314-57ED-440A-8B3C-4A29D5F1BA41.jpeg
My fav spinel in fluorescent Home Depot light. I need something to look at while hubby drags me there, lol. It’s a color shifter from blue (daylight) to violet.

The color shifters I really really love :love: Its a gorgeous spinel!! Very understandable that you like that one so much=)

Lexililac

Shiny_Rock
That's a gorgeous chrysoberyl, but it's vanadium that makes it fluoresce. Chromium is not the only element making gems fluoresce under UV.

As far as I know Vanadium not reacts in UV light. At least Ive not a single Vanadium chrysoberyl as well as sapphires with Vanadium witch reacts in UV light. I know just about Chromium and Cobalt witch reacts...

voce

Ideal_Rock
As far as I know Vanadium not reacts in UV light. At least Ive not a single Vanadium chrysoberyl as well as sapphires with Vanadium witch reacts in UV light. I know just about Chromium and Cobalt witch reacts...
https://www.fluomin.org/uk/fiche.php?id=291
I was not aware chrysoberyl could have chromium, but either chromium or vanadium could be an activator for fluorescence.

If your vanadium chrysoberyls and sapphires are not fluorescent, then it is likely iron quenching the fluorescence. See post #3 by Nosean in the following thread.
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/vanadium-chrysoberyl-with-fluorescence.238571/

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you Voce and Laxilliac. It’s so hard to capture the way this spinel sparkles in the photos. It’s not just the color I love, but honestly it throws out pink flashes and deep blue sparks. I have a benitoite that does the same thing, but it’s much smaller, softer, and not as pretty.

ETA; I need to check the UV on my chrysoberyls now.

Last edited:
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results