carat
color
clarity

Vanadium Chrysoberyl with Fluorescence?

2Neezers

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hello,
I recently purchased and received a small Vanadium Chrysoberyl from Multicolour. The stone has very strong pinkish orange fluorescence. I asked David about it and he said that Chrysoberyl is not known to be fluorescent and that it was a new to him. I was able to find an older thread where LD had purchased a Chrysoberyl with fluorescence, but that stone showed color change and ended up being an Alexandrite. My stone doesn't show color change at all that I have been able to see.
I am wondering if anyone has a Vanadium Chrysoberyl that is also fluorescent or could shed light on the situation?
Here are photos of the stone in my kitchen lighting and with black light - sorry they are terrible! The stone is a light minty blue green in person.
vchryso.jpeg
vchrysofluor.jpeg

chatoyancy

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hello,
I recently purchased and received a small Vanadium Chrysoberyl from Multicolour. The stone has very strong pinkish orange fluorescence. I asked David about it and he said that Chrysoberyl is not known to be fluorescent and that it was a new to him. I was able to find an older thread where LD had purchased a Chrysoberyl with fluorescence, but that stone showed color change and ended up being an Alexandrite. My stone doesn't show color change at all that I have been able to see.
I am wondering if anyone has a Vanadium Chrysoberyl that is also fluorescent or could shed light on the situation?
Here are photos of the stone in my kitchen lighting and with black light - sorry they are terrible! The stone is a light minty blue green in person.
vchryso.jpeg
vchrysofluor.jpeg
Wowza!! That is more fluorescent my rubies.

Nosean

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Yes, some vanadium chrysoberyl show fluorescence under UV LW.

One reason is a tiny amount of chromium with a extremely low iron content - chromium and vanadium are in vanadium chrysoberyl - depends on the ratio. One of my V- Chrysos shows fluorescence with
0,02 % vanadium, 0,02 chromiumm and only 0,15 % iron.

Vanadium and chromium are much higher coloring agents than iron.
To much iron quenches the fluorescence.

Other reason is a little higher chromium content - these stones can show a slight color change.

MCG have alexandrite from Tunduru with a light bluishgreen daylight color but a light pinkish incandescent light color. They sell these as
alexandrite.

So if your V-Chrysoberyl is still "green" under incandescent light it is o.k.!

I have seen many of them - they have always a better color in daylight.

Is yours 1,04 ct?? MCG offered a very nice one and I was not fast enough...

Last edited:

2Neezers

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Yes, some vanadium chrysoberyl show fluorescence under UV LW.

One reason is a tiny amount of chromium with a extremely low iron content - chromium and vanadium are in vanadium chrysoberyl - depends on the ratio. One of my V- Chrysos shows fluorescence with
0,02 % vanadium, 0,02 chromiumm and only 0,15 % iron.

Vanadium and chromium are much higher coloring agents than iron.
To much iron quenches the fluorescence.

Other reason is a little higher chromium content - these stones can show a slight color change.

MCG have alexandrite from Tunduru with a light bluishgreen daylight color but a light pinkish incandescent light color. They sell these as
alexandrite.

So if your V-Chrysoberyl is still "green" under incandescent light it is o.k.!

Thank you so much for the detailed explanation. It is very helpful! I'm not sure if I have seen the stone under incandescent light yet, but will try to so I can see if there is a color change. So far, there has been no change viewing it in the lighting I have in my home. Now I'm curious, is it pretty rare to find a Vanadium Chryso with fluorescence?

2Neezers

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I have seen many of them - they have always a better color in daylight.

Is yours 1,04 ct?? MCG offered a very nice one and I was not fast enough..

Sorry I missed this answering this part of your message. The one I purchased was 1.14ct, 6.5 x 5.3 and the report said it has a Bluish Green Hue and Light Tone. It didn't wow me at first when I opened the package, but I know they are rare and it seemed like a special stone to keep and have in my collection. Here's the vendor photo and you are right, it looks best in daylight.
upload_2018-3-6_0-5-40.png

Nosean

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Chrysoberyl is a allochromatic mineral. So colorless if pure.
colorless, light bluishgreen or "mintgreen" is rare course most time you have to much iron.

You can find many chrysoberyl with a higher vanadium content but high iron so the stones are yellow or yellowgreen - up to these neon chrysoberyl.

Both - vanadium chryso or light colored alexandrites are rare - trade wants deeper colored alexandrite but I think these lighter colored one can be really nice.

2Neezers

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Chrysoberyl is a allochromatic mineral. So colorless if pure.
colorless, light bluishgreen or "mintgreen" is rare course most time you have to much iron.

You can find many chrysoberyl with a higher vanadium content but high iron so the stones are yellow or yellowgreen - up to these neon chrysoberyl.

Both - vanadium chryso or light colored alexandrites are rare - trade wants deeper colored alexandrite but I think these lighter colored one can be really nice.

Thank you for all of this helpful information! It was exactly what I was looking for :)
p.s. The puppy in your avatar is absolutely adorable!

digdeep

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
That avatar is priceless...........looks like a Meerkat imitation. : )

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think LD had a vanadium chrysoberyl that fluoresced. It also had a color change and ended up being an alexandrite. It was sold to her as a chrysoberyl though if I remember correctly.

Nosean

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Yes, we discussed this stone a few years ago.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results