shape
carat
color
clarity

What is it about spinel?

SouthernGent

Shiny_Rock
What is it about spinels that makes them such an attraction for those of you who love them? I am asking out of complete, honest ignorance here.
One thing that initially attracted me to spinels was their hardness and durability for everyday wear.

voce

Ideal_Rock
For me, it's their brilliance. A good spinel has great crystal and sparkle. Easier to find in spinel than sapphire. And it's not a dichroic stone, so colors appear purer, with less color zoning. Plus they come in so many colors!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Comes in a wide variety of colours
Most are untreated (might want reds to be lab verified)
Excellent brilliance and sparkle
Durability
Reasonable pricing
Generally easy to find for purchase

Nick_G

Shiny_Rock
I'm not aware of any sapphires that reach the saturation and intensity of the best vivid blue cobalt spinels from Luc Yen, Vietnam. That is reason alone to love this gem.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm not aware of any sapphires that reach the saturation and intensity of the best vivid blue cobalt spinels from Luc Yen, Vietnam. That is reason alone to love this gem.
They are blue sapphires like the well known Jedi spinel. In fact, blue sapphires of that intensity is far more common in sapphire than spinel. These Jedi spinels are very rare and usually sub-carat.

scouty

Brilliant_Rock
@voce Is their brilliance generally superior to sapphire brilliance?

Nick_G

Shiny_Rock
They are blue sapphires like the well known Jedi spinel. In fact, blue sapphires of that intensity is far more common in sapphire than spinel. These Jedi spinels are very rare and usually sub-carat.

Where can you find 'Windex blue' sapphires? I'm not sure I've seen any with quite the eye-popping blue of those cobalt spinels.

The only other mineral I can think of that comes in blues so vivid is hauyne.

Reactions: AV_

PinkAndBlueBling

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
The first time I held a precision cut spinel, I was hooked! It shimmered and looked like flowing water, seeming to have movement to it. I look for that quality in spinels now. I just received a beautiful one from Gary and I could "watch" it all day!

scouty

Brilliant_Rock
The first time I held a precision cut spinel, I was hooked! It shimmered and looked like flowing water, seeming to have movement to it. I look for that quality in spinels now. I just received a beautiful one from Gary and I could "watch" it all day!

What spinel did you get from Gary? Pics please!!

Hivona

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

Yes please share pictures!

voce

Ideal_Rock

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Nick_G

Shiny_Rock
I wouldn't call them Windex blue because that has an element of green.

https://www.africagems.com/trillion-bluesapph-g2k-3800.html
https://www.africagems.com/sapphire-blue-ja331.html

Older examples LOTUS cornflower-sapphire.jpg GemRock.jpg

Close yes, but still not quite there. The most vivid blue gem in the first link is heat-treated so presumably wasn't that blue when it came out of the ground. What about the other two pics?

The cobalt spinels from Luc Yen are 100% natural and don't need any heat-treatment.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
They are also incredibly small IF you can even find any for sale. And the price? Don't even ask. You will probably find 1 for every 100 sapphire. Very few are willing to pay $$$ for such small stones. It is more of a collector's gem.

Last edited:

voce

Ideal_Rock

Nick_G

Shiny_Rock
It's funny with the historical confusion between spinels and rubies. I collect the rough crystals rather than cut gems and even now I see spinel and ruby specimens getting confused with each other on eBay. It's meant I've obtained some pretty nice ruby-in-matrix specimens for cheap prices. ;)2 I have a few spinel specimens here too, in various colours.

Thanks for the NY Times link btw voce. I hadn't read that one.

Last edited:

alene

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Mrs MKB, I’m so glad you got it! I was so tempted, but figured I should focus on setting the spinel from Gary I already have. I was both sad and relieved when it was gone and was really hoping it went to PSer. Please please post more photos!

Beside the sparkle and durability, I really love the color shift in spinel. Mine almost looks like two (if not more) different stones depending on the lighting.

Well, here you go!
s913627216465936_p438_i1_w600.jpeg

AV_

Ideal_Rock
@Nick_G Digressing to crystals: I remember seeing dog tooth type pink sapphire with spinel core - or so the claim went; wish I got one just for the irony!

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Durability
Reasonable pricing

This plus they I love that they aren't something you typically see on others. While I wish they had named it as a birthstone for my birth month, I'm happy to share my love of spinels with my mom who was born in August.

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Everything Chrono said. They are beautiful stones and the larger sizes with great color were very affordable when I first started collecting them.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Durability
Reasonable pricing

All of the above, and I have to include the beautiful luster. It’s an underrated, but important aspect to the overall beauty of a stone.

voce

Ideal_Rock

chatoyancy

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I love silver and gray spinels, though I have others. They sparkle and don’t look like any other gems to me.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Range of colours, durability, sparkles and affordability (with exceptions, of course).

Apart from the lust to have a glowy raspberry red spinel one day, I also like greys.

DK :))

DK :))

voce

Ideal_Rock
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results