shape
carat
color
clarity

What I Love about Pricescope - the GTG contest

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
This thread is generally for anyone who would like to better understand why folks stick around, after first discovering Pricescope, to learn, share, and to help others. It is specifically designed as a contest thread related to the Pricescope Get Together being held May 12 in Houston - hosted by Whiteflash.

Anyone who put their name in the hat for the free airfare and hotel drawing and did not win the drawing is eligible to write a statement (keep it fairly short please), the theme of which is “What I Love about Pricescope”. Entries will be open for the next 36 hours. On Wednesday the community will vote (on this thread) for the best statement, and that person will be awarded free airfare and hotel accommodations to attend the event.

Anyone can vote, but only those that previously entered the drawing can win. Comments in the thread are also welcome.

For your reference, the original Announcement about the GTG and the awarding of the initial prizes can be found here:

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/the-next-pricescope-gtg.239065/

Johnbt

Shiny_Rock
Premium
"Comments in the thread are also welcome."
Okay. I hope everyone has a great time.

“What I Love about Pricescope”

1) The pictures.
2) The advice and recommendations from both the professionals and the regulars.
3) Numbers and details. I've always loved numbers and details.

&

4) Pricescope gave me enough confidence to wire money this morning without the protection provided by a credit card.

She wanted a 1.5 carat and a platinum Vatche U-113 ring set. I tried to talk her into the similar 1.7, but no go. We went out and looked and I even sent her out on her own to try on rings and look at 1.75 and 2+ stones without me hanging over her shoulder. Nope. She liked this 1.5 ACA...

www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3955177.htm

She asked what I was going to get. Ha. She meant wedding ring. I told her I'm buying another Shimano Loomis Conquest bass rod. Like I need another $649 rod to hang a $400 or $500 reel on in order to catch fish that I throw back (after taking a pic if they're over 8 pounds. My best is 10 pounds fwiw.) I'm retired and she ought to be, but she's 5 years younger. Or is it 4? Today's her birthday. :dance:

hmr_mama

Brilliant_Rock
I'll play!

What I love about PS:

Pricescope is my respite from potty training a 2 year old and potty-themed jokes from my 4 year old. It's my chance to ogle beautiful jewels from the comfort of my own home (bathtub). It's a place where people are happy to see my jewelry and can comment on it without using snark. But most of all, I love Pricescope for teaching me about ideal cut diamonds. I recently went into a Tiffany & Co. and tried on a 3 carat MRB/I/VS1. That sucker was $100,000. I just purchased a 2.67/H/VS1 for much less than half of that. Without all of the pictures that PSers have posted over the years, I wouldn't have known that 2.67 is (to me) imperceptibly smaller than the 3 carat. Thanks to PS and all of the posters who donate their time to benefit the rest of us. I'm so grateful for your knowledge and time.

HappyNewLife

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My $.02

Pricescope is the only "entertainment" (some would call it "edutainment") board or social media place that I frequent consistently these days. For the most part, Pricescope is free of negativity, allowing me to bask in other people's excitement about jewelry or proposals. It's the only place I frequent where I feel like the moderators actually... moderate, keeping readers safe from trolls and violence and general negativity. Whenever I open other sources of entertainment, I'm barraged with political or social negativity, and I am just not in a place in my life where I want to focus on that. There's something about the PS community that seems so special, especially since I've been on numerous message boards in my life. People here want to help others, want to prevent others from making costly mistakes, spend countless hours sourcing the "right" diamonds for a buyer's budget, complimenting one another - it's quite incredible actually. If it wasn't for PS members (in particular @rockysalamander and @LaylaR/gypsy), I'd have driven myself nuts in the diamond shopping phases of my life. I'm very grateful for this place :)

Miki Moto

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I will give it a try too!

I love diamonds. I own a Tiffany engagement ring (3.15ct) and Hearts On Fire diamond earrings (2cttw). I love pricescope as it has taught me to open my eyes and be more objective about other diamonds such as Whiteflash. Everyone is helpful and has honest opinions.

Why vote for me?
As you can see, I have been a brand person (e.g. Tiffany, HOF). I am considering upgrading my diamond earrings in the future and PS has given me ideas (e.g. ACA). I have never seen any ACA diamonds live, yet everyone raves about them. I would love to attend to see some of your ladies' lovely ACA diamonds and also perhaps the Whiteflash store! Help me open my eyes to ACA diamonds!

Please vote for me! :pray: Thank you!

Last edited:

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What I loved about PS ... All the engagements !

'Guess I am a traditionalist, like that; not that Engagement is in my tradition to any extent - the stories were IT ;(:nono:;)):wacko:

What I love about it now ? Ask @diagem =)2 **edited by moderator**

Last edited by a moderator:

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
What I love about Pricescope:

I came here desperate to get help replacing a lost/stolen wedding set and all of these years later, I've learned more than I never knew I didn't know about jewelry. I have always loved sparklies (thanks Grandma Bertie!) but didn't know anything about crown angles, fluorescence or mm vs. carat size. Now I know more than the SA's at my local store! Along the way, I've received valuable marital and child rearing advice, as well as some darn good recipes. But the friends I've made here? Priceless!

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What I love about PS... besides how to shop for quality bling...are the random facts of life I've learned:
1. In Australia, boys have budgies and girls have beans. This is why it's appropriate for me to be named Pinto "Bean". @jordyonbass @arkieb1

2. I learned about pussy grabbing and that people sold t shirts about pussy grabbing. As the cat mama of 4, I bought one. @monarch64 IMG_3670.JPG

4. Pussies release waste and the best way to handle pussy waste is to launch them into outer space via a a litter robot. @Matata
IMG_3167.JPG

5. @Dancing Fire can spend over a decade trying to get PSers to SMTBoobs, but @PintoBean Gets them without even asking :lol: (just took a tragedy but who's counting? :knockout:)

6. PSers are even more discriminating about the men they'll let me contemplate as future suitors than they are of diamonds. P(enis) S(crutinizers). Never heard a longer "no" come out of a human being than when I discussed one prospect with @Resonance.Of.Life. What will PSers approve of? @LAJennifer approves of Doby from Of Montreal - umm tall order (literally).

7. Pussy health - a few years back @justginger started a thread about Pap smears being recommended for every 5 years in Australia. Good thing bc when my PA told me last week that the current recommendation in the US is also every 5 years, I wasn't shocked enough to kick her.

8. Being an introvert doesn't make you a pussy. You can still stand up and speak your mind. @Tacori E-ring and @tyty333

9. PSers aren't pussies about taking a chance on a stranger. Props to those who ignored the rumors of my being Michael Meyers 2.0 and met me in person @missy . Props to those who stood beside me as my family when my husband was laid to rest @ac117, @Asscherhalo_lover, @gemgirl

10, PSers can also be quite sweet @mochiko42 and her delicious surprises for me and my cats that just magically appear.

11. And sometimes magical PSers pop into your life like a fairy godmother and gift you with wonderful notes and beautiful stuffed animals that take up half of your bed so that it's not so large and lonely and is filled with squishy love and cuteness. @MrBlueshift and J.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@PintoBean well, if I had heard that rumor I would have wanted to meet you sooner.:P2

And who's Mike Meyers? :lol::lol::lol:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh what a dreamboat. :kiss:
But my heart belongs to you.:whistle:
heart.jpeg

and your diamonds.
singyring.jpeg

:love:

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
12. The power of the PB pussy - I've never been hit on by more straight women than I have by PSers. @missy
(And those who have sent me pics of themselves in bras shall remain anonymous.)

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
12. The power of the PB pussy - I've never been hit on by more straight women than I have by PSers. @missy

oooh I promise to stop threadjacking this thread as it isn't fair to WF and PS and the PSers who entered the contest but I must make it very clear that I certainly did not send any photos of me in a bra to our dear PB as I... do not... wear a bra.:whistle:
:bigsmile:

I love you for your mind and great sense of humor and wonderful personality dear PB. And your bling of course. And OK your hot looks you're onto me darn:halo: (((HUGS))).

End of thread jack and good luck to all who have entered this contest and thank you to WF for making it possible.:appl::appl::appl:

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
:shhh:.. don't tell the world!..
slap4.gif

MonkeysInk

Shiny_Rock
Premium
When I got engaged, my grandmother pointed out that the stone I was given was an old cut diamond, and told me the story of my grandfather going to New York to buy her engagement ring in the Diamond District. I'm from tiny-town-Texas, so this was high intrigue and opened my eyes beyond "round" and "princess" - there are other cuts? And how do I learn more? Thankfully, I found the answers here.

Finding Pricescope introduced me to so much more than I ever dreamed existed and to lovely friends who enjoy the same interests - with a wave to my local ladies @leukolenos and @Starfacet, who think it's perfectly normal that I get right up in their personal space for a closer look at their sparklies.

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
"What I Love About Pricescope"

I came to Pricescope by way of the Colored Stone Forum, and later ventured in the Pearl Forum and Rocky Talky, and then finally into Hangout. Thanks to the knowledge and camaraderie of the PS community, my collection now includes unique and beautiful CS and diamond rings, and lustrous pearl necklaces. Thanks to the amazing PS-recommended vendors, I've had the opportunity and pleasure to have examined and owned some of the most amazing and well-cut diamonds in the world!

I will admit as a youngster, I "cleaned" my mom's diamond platinum wedding set more than once ... with toothpaste! Thanks to PS, I definitely know better (warm-to-hot water and Dawn and a very soft/old toothpaste).

As a child I started collecting rocks and stones, and I've never stopped. And at PS I am surrounded by like-minded individuals who are smart and savvy and funny, and who give generously of their time and experience and knowledge to me and many others. Besides diamonds and colored gemstones, I've tried recipes, bought fragrances and beauty products, read books and articles, took advice .. all because fellow PSers recommended them to "me"! There's pie, there's pictures/posts/threads/links to sparkly bling, there's new shinies and very old shinies ... It is a true joy to start my day, every day, at PS.

kemurphy

Shiny_Rock
Premium
What I love....

I joined years ago and I still come every single day to read about all the amazing knowledgeable prosumers patiently helping new people when they find their way to this site. I've learned so much and love seeing it used to help people find the best diamond for their needs. The knowledge that is shared is incredible. After 5 years I still love coming every day and learning new things, even if I don't post very often.

This is a place where people who share my passion for gorgeous diamonds share their knowledge and love with others. That is why I love it here!

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What I like about Pricescope .........

I’ve met a great bunch of ladies who love their bling and have given me the confidence to buy online - something I never thought I’d do!

It’s also opened my eyes to the levels of quality I didn’t even know existed - I thought sparkly was just sparkly :roll

It’s also made me aware of places like WF, which I’m now going to visit in September to pick up one of their fabulous diamond bangles (something I’ve wanted for a looong time) and even more exciting, to look at diamonds for a BIG birthday I have next year :dance:

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What I love about Pricescope

I found Pricescope back in 2009 and have since been introduced to more than I ever could have imagined. I have learned so much valuable information about diamonds, colored gemstones and pearls. I never imagined that I would learn of online vendors who sell top notch products and services for less than brick and mortar stores. I'll never buy another piece of jewelry from a B & M store.
There have been all sorts of other benefits of being here on PS that are too numerous to give a complete list. There are forums that cover so many topics, you name it and it's been discussed!
I believe the majority of the prosumers who participate on this forum give of their expertise and time because it is a passion.
I am "addicted" to PS as I start and end everyday (and in-between) here to see what's new. I've also met a number of PSers in real life and have made some great friendships which are priceless.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The stories in this thread make me happy ::)

To make this probably too personal... I have to say - I do hope @PintoBean wins this draw!! You just don't run into people like her every day! To deal with some of life's biggest cr*ps with as much fairness, dignity, humour as she has - and to share her journey with us, ups and downs - well, if strength of character was the determination I'd say she's an inspiration ::)

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The stories in this thread make me happy ::)

To make this probably too personal... I have to say - I do hope @PintoBean wins this draw!! You just don't run into people like her every day! To deal with some of life's biggest cr*ps with as much fairness, dignity, humour as she has - and to share her journey with us, ups and downs - well, if strength of character was the determination I'd say she's an inspiration ::)

I wish I could love your post to infinity @yssie . Pintobean is a brave courageous woman who faces everything with grace and dignity and humor. She is a rare wonderful woman. We love you @PintoBean

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What I love about Pricescope:

1. Diversity. In ideas, in choices, in likes, in politic, in religion. Yet people encourage each other for the best.
2. friendship. I have met people offline and people online. People I wouldn’t normally meet. We band together in tragedy and rejoice in the good.
3. Education. I know more about diamonds than I could ever have expected. I know about cuts I would have never heard of. Everyone has a say.
4. Experts. People who know this stuff inside out ( not me, I’m kinda numbers dyslexic) and are more than willing to help those, like me, who just don’t get it. I’m sure they have other things to do but they take their precious time to help others.
5. Kenny, DF, Karl and David. Nuff said.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results