shape
carat
color
clarity

What gemstones can be light pink?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lamborghini Girl - Morganite can also be very peach coloured. If you''re looking to buy one, you need to make sure you''re going to get the pink variety. It has less grey undertones than Kunzite IMO.

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Just wanted to throw in this baby pink tourmaline from Art Cut Gems into the discussion. Link

Tourm2015a.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/20/2009 9:45:21 AM
Author: tourmaline_lover

Thanks! I love transparent rhodochrosite, but it''s too soft for a ring. I have not seen pink danburite!! Have any pics?

It''s also worth noting about spinels that some have a color shift. For example, I have a spinel that looks more pink in incandescent light, and very lilac in natural light. I love the color shift on my stone because they are two pleasing colors, but if the color shifts to a more grey or brown cast, it might not have the desired effect if you''re looking for a true pink stone.
TL,
That was an excellent breakdown of the pros and cons of various pink stones. I''m also puzzled why some pinks colour shift and some don''t. My Jeff White pink spinel shifts to lilac but my Tanzanian pink spinel holds its colour extremely well. Maybe it''s because it has a very slight amount of silk?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/20/2009 4:21:25 PM
Author: Chrono

Date: 6/20/2009 9:45:21 AM
Author: tourmaline_lover

Thanks! I love transparent rhodochrosite, but it's too soft for a ring. I have not seen pink danburite!! Have any pics?

It's also worth noting about spinels that some have a color shift. For example, I have a spinel that looks more pink in incandescent light, and very lilac in natural light. I love the color shift on my stone because they are two pleasing colors, but if the color shifts to a more grey or brown cast, it might not have the desired effect if you're looking for a true pink stone.
TL,
That was an excellent breakdown of the pros and cons of various pink stones. I'm also puzzled why some pinks colour shift and some don't. My Jeff White pink spinel shifts to lilac but my Tanzanian pink spinel holds its colour extremely well. Maybe it's because it has a very slight amount of silk?
Thank you Chrono. My only clue as to why a gem may color shift is probably in it's chemical makeup. Certain subatomic particles react to various kinds of light (can you tell I hang out on other places besides PS?). For example, the element Chromium is the coloring agent of alexandrite, and I have read that it is Chromium, when combined with other chemical elements that make up the mineral, make the stone shift or change color due to the different wavelengths that various light sources have. Color shifting isn't as dramatic as a full color change like that, but it gives you an idea of what I'm talking about. I could be completely wrong though (that has been known to happen - LOL!! Just being a sarcastic smart a$$- hehehehehehe.
11.gif
)

Barrett

Ideal_Rock
Hey lamgirl that pic you put up is very hard for me to see even if the stone is faceted. I see a couple slants towards the edge of the stone. Just a bad pic I guess

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

LamborghiniGirl

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Thank you everyone who has posted possible stones.

Yet none of the ones posted or that I have seen on the websites everyone suggested are light enough, and cushion shaped.

I would prefer to just find a stone I like, as opposed to having one cut out of a larger stone.

Does anyone have any other sources I should check?

I think I am going to focus on Morganite, Spinel and Tourmaline.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'd call Gene at Precision Gems. Tell him what you want and have him cut you a cushion shaped stone from whatever rough he finds in the right color. He does a lovely job on custom orders (though you do have to send him reminders occassionally) and then just wait till your petty arrives.

That oval from Art Cut Gems is a beauty Fly Girl. I was actually thinking about buying it, but it's pure baby pink and I want peach.

LamborghiniGirl

Shiny_Rock
Trade
I just found a picture of a pink tourmaline- already sold, that I like. If only something like this was available in the shape I like! Is it very uncommon to find an existing stone in this color, cushion shape? I''d prefer that over having to have one custom cut.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think, since you know EXACTLY what shape, color and basically the size (you really need to get that down to a millimeter size btw, carat sizes are mostly useless when looking for various gemstones because they can differ so much in density), that you should email some cutters (Dan Stair, Barry Bridgestock, Jeff White etc) and see what rough they have because they may have rough that would fit what you want, but won''t cut it because it''s too light of a pink, and they think it won''t sell.

And you really need to decide on a budget. That will help narrow down which stones are actually workable for you.

You''re going to have to realize that this is going to take some time--colored stones aren''t anything like diamonds, you can''t just order one up with the specs you want. What I wanted in an ering was very general in size, color, shape (kinda), with only being stone variety being specific, and finding that took months. That was with searching everyday by more than just me, and hundreds of emails.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/20/2009 9:46:48 PM
Author: LamborghiniGirl
I just found a picture of a pink tourmaline- already sold, that I like. If only something like this was available in the shape I like! Is it very uncommon to find an existing stone in this color, cushion shape? I''d prefer that over having to have one custom cut.
Ask Dan Stair of customgemstones.com if he has anymore of that material, and ask him if he can cut a cushion in it? That''s not particularly rare material, so I don''t see why he couldn''t get more.

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/20/2009 9:42:38 PM
Author: Gypsy
I''d call Gene at Precision Gems. Tell him what you want and have him cut you a cushion shaped stone from whatever rough he finds in the right color. He does a lovely job on custom orders (though you do have to send him reminders occassionally) and then just wait till your petty arrives.

That oval from Art Cut Gems is a beauty Fly Girl. I was actually thinking about buying it, but it''s pure baby pink and I want peach.
I second using Gene at Precision Gems. I think he is travelling for a couple of weeks buying rough in Africa, but his work is excellent.

Do you have another project in the works, Gypsy?
3.gif

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
No I''m on a ban. A complete ban.
7.gif
Just finishing mom''s peridot ring. And saving my pennies till 17-18th of July so I can MAYBE buy something at the Gem Faire. John has an interview on Wednesday though... so if he gets the job, I might become a little more active. And a peach stone is at the top of my list. A Peach Garnet perferably. Or a Mint Garnet. Or... a light blue sapphire. If I can find one that I like.

LamborghiniGirl

Shiny_Rock
Trade
I have a kind-of-unrelated question--

There are so many colored stones, tourmalines, spinels in particular that look decent and are available on Ebay for less than 50 dollars, in decent sizes- like above 2 ctw. The colors aren''t very bright, as that is what I am looking for.

Are most of them scams? These low priced stones from Thailand or the like.

They say they are not heat treated. I am almost tempted, for 16 dollars to get one! But then again I don''t know much about colored stones...

Can anyone provide insight about these low price stones on ebay?

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Often they probably won't look anything like the pictures. As is often said in Colored Stones, you get what you pay for.

But hey, if you're not going to regret spending <$20 on something you don't really know what it looks like, or that you may end up not liking, then go for it.

LamborghiniGirl

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Thanks Freke, that''s what I figured. It''s crazy that these sellers can have a video of one stone spinning around, and yet sell something totally different.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've actually had some good luck with Thai sellers. The biggest think I've learned to watch out for is that some of them use lighting and background to their advantage, to make stones appear more saturated than they appear in real-life circumstances. So... it helps to be aware of those types of tricks so you know what to watch out for, to know something about what to expect from the stones you're ordering, and to really scrutinize the images posted with the listing. There's definitely a lot of exaggeration in the descriptions, but I've never had a seller send me a stone other than the one pictured.

(the spessartites in my avatar are part of a parcel of small spess's I bought from a Thai seller.)

ETA LG -- that last tourmaline you posted is spectacular!

ma re

Ideal_Rock
HERE is an example of what an untreated pink topaz can look like - and they usually have better clarity. Since you want a very light shade of pink (I think this one looks very similar to your first photo) you could probably find one that''s not very expensive.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/21/2009 1:28:14 AM
Thanks Freke, that''s what I figured. It''s crazy that these sellers can have a video of one stone spinning around, and yet sell something totally different.
There''s a particular Ebay seller that has photos and videos. Both are doctored beyond belief. I bought a couple of stones from them and when they arrived they bore no resemblance whatsoever to the video. I hadn''t realised a video could be changed but it can.

LamborghiniGirl

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Date: 6/21/2009 9:25:20 AM
Author: SparkleSparkle
What about this pink sapphire from AJSgems? http://www.ajsgems.com/pink-sapphire/gemstone-sapphire-2046001285-2046340414.html I almost bought it myself but was looking for something brighter...

ETA: sorry I noticed you''re looking for something bigger... maybe they can still get something in that color?

That is exactly what I am looking for!!! Thank you so much for linking me to it. I am tempted to buy it in that size because that is the color I want. I may contact them to see if they may be able to find something just like that but bigger.

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
I have a gorgeous Malaya Garnet from Barry that is a light pink that shifts to a peachy pink. I love love this stone and I get compliments on it every time I wear it. I also have a lovely light pink Tourmaline.

I guess what I am saying is .. garnet and tourmaline are great options for light pink stones.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/21/2009 9:25:20 AM
Author: SparkleSparkle
What about this pink sapphire from AJSgems? http://www.ajsgems.com/pink-sapphire/gemstone-sapphire-2046001285-2046340414.html I almost bought it myself but was looking for something brighter...

ETA: sorry I noticed you're looking for something bigger... maybe they can still get something in that color?
Wow, that's pretty cheap for an unheated pink sapphire. It's only 1.05 carats though, so because sapphire is super dense, it will look pretty tiny. I bet that stone would be over 1K on NSC, and not cut as well. It's pretty rare to find an unheated pink sapphire that's cut well to boot. Too bad it's so small.

sleepyspinel

Shiny_Rock
Those pastel shades are just so yummy aren''t they ;-) I hope you are able to find some that make you happy and I''d love to see pics when you do!
12.gif

Date: 6/20/2009 11:58:37 PM
Author: Gypsy
No I''m on a ban. A complete ban.
7.gif
Just finishing mom''s peridot ring. And saving my pennies till 17-18th of July so I can MAYBE buy something at the Gem Faire. John has an interview on Wednesday though... so if he gets the job, I might become a little more active. And a peach stone is at the top of my list. A Peach Garnet perferably. Or a Mint Garnet. Or... a light blue sapphire. If I can find one that I like.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/21/2009 12:57:30 AM

There are so many colored stones, tourmalines, spinels in particular that look decent and are available on Ebay for less than 50 dollars, in decent sizes- like above 2 ctw. The colors aren''t very bright, as that is what I am looking for.

They say they are not heat treated. I am almost tempted, for 16 dollars to get one! But then again I don''t know much about colored stones...

Not all are scams but most are. I think it’s a good consideration though since what you are looking for is relatively inexpensive and easy to come by (non desired colour). Tourmalines (other than pink) and spinels are untreated. The only caution is you have to know how to read the stones and vendor pictures. Many photoshop their pictures and videos, play around with lighting to give the appearance of better colour and use camera angles to hide cutting issues and inclusion. I’ve seen Vajello being recommended as a trustworthy eBay vendor so maybe you can check him out.

LamborghiniGirl

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Date: 6/22/2009 8:18:13 AM
Author: Chrono
Date: 6/21/2009 12:57:30 AM

Not all are scams but most are. I think it’s a good consideration though since what you are looking for is relatively inexpensive and easy to come by (non desired colour). Tourmalines (other than pink) and spinels are untreated. The only caution is you have to know how to read the stones and vendor pictures. Many photoshop their pictures and videos, play around with lighting to give the appearance of better colour and use camera angles to hide cutting issues and inclusion. I’ve seen Vajello being recommended as a trustworthy eBay vendor so maybe you can check him out.

Thanks, I just searched that seller ID of Vajello but nothing came up?

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Try searching for vallejo.
2.gif

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry...it is Vallejo.
emembarrassed.gif
Thanks Freke.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
vallejo916 to be more accurate.
9.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results