shape
carat
color
clarity

What gemstones can be light pink?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

LamborghiniGirl

Shiny_Rock
Trade
I am new to this section! I hope everyone can help.

What types of gemstones are naturally light pink? And where are reputable places to buy them?

Thank you so much in advance!

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Light pink:
Spinel
Tourmaline
Sapphire
Morganite
Kunzite
Rose quartz
Topaz (though I think it's treated to get that effect?)
Garnets (the malayas can be pink, but they aren't pastel or baby pink if that's what you are looking for)

E.T.A: There is a list of reputable vendors at the top of this forum. Some of the more popular ones seem to be : Barry (acstones.com), Dan (customgemstones.com), John (gemrite.com), simplysapphires.com, http://www.artcutgems.com, http://precisiongem.com, http://www.finewatergems.com/sapphire.html

LamborghiniGirl

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Thanks for that list!

Are there any well-accepted sources for these types of stones? A store website that you have had good experiences with?

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/19/2009 10:35:24 PM
Author: LamborghiniGirl
Thanks for that list!

Are there any well-accepted sources for these types of stones? A store website that you have had good experiences with?

There are many many reputable colored gemstone sites, it might be easier for us to suggest things if you gave us more specifics? A certain size, cut, budget, type of stone?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
precisiongem
finewatergems
acstones
Jeffwhite
Customcutgems
Winkjones (who carries Richard Homer and can get in lots of gorgeous stuff from his dealers as well)
Cherrypicked
rwwise

are the most commonly purchased from on here.

What size are you looking for? And what shape? And what price.

Also with colored stones you have to be concerned for their wear. They have different hardness ratings and many are not recommended for everyday ring wear.

The first four have precision cut gems. The last two have very high quality gems, that are mostly native cut (which doesn't mean poorly cut, just native cut). In colored stones COLOR is king, not cut.

As an FYI gemstone dealers are typically ones you are more likely to have to call to see what they have, or can cut, or can get in for you, and not just web shop for.

LamborghiniGirl

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Thanks for your help already! I would like a stone in the 3-4 ctw range, cushion cut. Very light pink

I really have no idea about price range as the only stones I have seen are on Ebay thus far, and I doubt those prices are representative of what a quality stone will cost.

This stone would be set in a RHR that wouldn''t be worn daily, but frequently-- I want it to have integrity for sure.

Based on what I have mentioned, which types of stones should I be looking at and what price range should I expect?

Any stones you know of that I may like?

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''d say you need to set a budget before we start suggesting stones.

For hardness, sapphires or spinels are probably best.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/19/2009 11:19:47 PM
Author: FrekeChild

Ditto. A pad sapphire is something i''d look into as well... The natural sapphire company.com is a site I like and have bought from..

LamborghiniGirl

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Date: 6/19/2009 11:39:38 PM
Author: Kaleigh
Date: 6/19/2009 11:19:47 PM

Author: FrekeChild

Ditto. A pad sapphire is something i''d look into as well... The natural sapphire company.com is a site I like and have bought from..

What is a ''pad'' sapphire?

I mean, could I get a nice-looking, quality light pink stone in that size range for less than $1,000? $5,000?
I don''t want to set a ''budget'' that limits me to less-strong stones. I really don''t know what to say for a budget as alot of the Ebay stones go for $20-$120-- not sure if they are good or not though, I assumed they were not.
33.gif

I mean, as most of you have looked for colored stones longer than I have (only an hour or 2!), what have you seen for prices of quality, light pink cushion gemstones that are 3-4ctw?
33.gif

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Pad = padparadscha sapphire, they are orange-y pink most often

The stones listed above can vary GREATLY in price. I took a gander at Natural Sapphire Company to see what they have, and the stuff in the size range you''re looking at are starting to hit around $4k. Of course they don''t have any light pink (I don''t know how light you''re wanting) sapphire cushions that I thought fit what you want.

One rule to keep in mind is that the bigger it is you''re looking for, the more expensive it gets. Luckily you''re looking for a relatively desaturated color, so it should be cheaper because the more bright/vivid a color is, the more "desirable" it is.

I would expect a higher price stone for what you seem to be looking for. Other stones are cheaper...

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/19/2009 10:31:01 PM
Author: MakingTheGrade
Light pink:
Spinel
Tourmaline
Sapphire
Morganite
Kunzite
Rose quartz
Topaz (though I think it's treated to get that effect?)
Garnets (the malayas can be pink, but they aren't pastel or baby pink if that's what you are looking for)

E.T.A: There is a list of reputable vendors at the top of this forum. Some of the more popular ones seem to be : Barry (acstones.com), Dan (customgemstones.com), John (gemrite.com), simplysapphires.com, http://www.artcutgems.com, http://precisiongem.com, http://www.finewatergems.com/sapphire.html
Here's the run down on all the stones mentioned, positives and negatives. Some people may or may not agree with my positives and negatives, and that's fine. JMO.

spinel: Positives are durability, great sparkle, not treated, and a light pink color wouldn't cost a fortune either. Negatives are the fact that many have a grey or brown cast to them, but when they're a nice pink, they're really beautiful.
Tourmaline: Positives are the fact that they're abundant, and relatively inexpensive. Negatives are the fact that some pink stones are treated, not a great deal of sparkle unless well cut, tend to go more peachy or brown in certain lighting (some people like that). Moderate durability.
Sapphire: Postives are durability, good sparkle factor. Negatives are the fact that they are typically treated or dyed to get the color, expensive when non-treated, typically bad native cuts, the mineral corundum (sapphire) is super dense, so a 2 carat sapphire might look like a 1 carat stone. Not a lot of bang for your buck.
Morganite: Positives are the fact that it's a beryl and not a dense stone, so a 2 carat stone looks like a 4 carat stone. Negatives are that many are treated, fade, very low sparkle factor unless well cut, very very light pink/peach color usually, unless you like that.
Kunzite: Positives are, well, not sure how many there are?? Negatives are the fact that they are typically treated and can fade (like morganite). Cleavage is bad so it can easily chip, not a stone I would typically recommend, most of them look like pale washed out amethysts. Not a kunzite fan here.
Topaz: True pink topaz is very very rare and very expensive, and almost every pink topaz you see is clear topaz which is coated to get the color. The coating can come off. I don't have anything positive to say about pink topaz except that it may cost you $10 for a stone.
Garnets: It's kind of rare to find one in a light pink color that holds it's color in most light sources, but if you can find one, they are very beautiful. Some lighter color rhodolites are pink'ish, but they may not be light pink enough.

If I had to weigh all of the above, I think your best bet would be to go with a nice pink spinel if you can find one without too much of a grey or brown cast or washed out color. You want light pink, but I don't think you want the color to be washed out either. JMO. Good luck!

There are natural and treated pink diamonds as well, with the treated ones going for one tenth the cost of it the natural color counterpart. Just thought I'd throw that out there. A natural pink diamond might not be in your budget, they cost a fortune, but some very small ones in a faint pink color are more affordable. When I say very small, less than a third of a carat.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Palagems doesn't sell to the public, so you'd have to go through a dealer like Wink but they have a very broad selection. And you can just email wink the stone links and he'll get back to you with a price quickly (I've done this a few times).

Here's are the nicest light pink stones I found,

this one is an oval, and is orangy pink, and it's 2 carats but I think it's just stunning if it's not windowed. http://www.palagems.com/php/db_search.php?action=gemdetail&inventory_number=13906

This one is round, the right color for you (maybe a little purple or grey in there, but the description doesn't mention it... so it could be my monitor), a spinel and 6 carats so it's REALLY BIG and I have a feeling it's gonna be REALLY expensive: http://www.palagems.com/php/db_search.php?action=gemdetail&inventory_number=412

And these are some tourmalines:

It's huge, and oval, but I like this one: http://www.palagems.com/php/db_search.php?action=gemdetail&inventory_number=6990

These two are cushions with checkerboard crowns, and they don't do much for me, but I thought I'd post them for you anyway:

http://www.palagems.com/php/db_search.php?action=gemdetail&inventory_number=9634

http://www.palagems.com/php/db_search.php?action=gemdetail&inventory_number=9661

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

Barrett

Ideal_Rock
Good post TL..way to break it down..I have seen some killer pink topaz come out of the afghan-pakistan area. Cool stuff but like TL said really expensive..also two of my favs Rhodochrosite and danburite

ma re

Ideal_Rock
LamborghiniGirl,

I think the best way to start off your search with a help of some of us from PS is to think of what shade of pink you''re after, finding a pic somewhere online that shows something in that color (doesen''t have to be a gem, it can be a flower, a candy, whatever) and showing us to see it. That way we can see what is your idea of a light pink, cause pink in general can mean a lot of different things to different people. Some will show you magenta and call it pink, some will show you lilac, some will show you light red etc.

I''d also strongly recommend browsing videos on Youtube, just for the sake of observing how different stones handle light, how their color changes, how much they sparkle or what kind of clarity you''re most drawn to. Speaking of clarity, some people tend to like more translucent, glowy stones, while other fall for the crystaline, sparkly ones, so it doesen''t hurt to explore. Just type any of the gemstone names listed above in a Youtube search and something will come up (most likely a clip from tv shopping channels, but it doesen''t matter). It can also help you decide on a shape or a cutting style.

Also keep in mind that 3-4 ct. range is quite large for some varieties and they''re rarely found so big. For example, it might not be easy to find a spinel in that size, especially in a specific color and shape, but finding a 3-4 ct. morganite wouldn''t be a problem at all (with them, a large size usually means a nicer color, BTW).

If you don''t plan to wear it 24/7 I''d say you''re (in terms of durability) safe with sapphires, spinels, topazes, tourmalines, garnets, morganites and diamonds (of course). Prices can range from 10$/ct for a very light pink morganite or tourmaline (or a coated pink topaz) to half a million per ct. or more for a pink diamond of that size. I''d advise you to go with those colors where the best pink (the most desirable) is a vibrant shade, cause in that case light shades can save you quite a lot of money. Sapphires, spinels, tourmalines and garnets fall into that category, while with natural color topazes a light color is what''s prefered and valued.

Hope this helps.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/20/2009 12:58:53 AM
Author: Gypsy
Palagems doesn''t sell to the public, so you''d have to go through a dealer like Wink but they have a very broad selection. And you can just email wink the stone links and he''ll get back to you with a price quickly (I''ve done this a few times).

Here''s are the nicest light pink stones I found,

this one is an oval, and is orangy pink, and it''s 2 carats but I think it''s just stunning if it''s not windowed. http://www.palagems.com/php/db_search.php?action=gemdetail&inventory_number=13906
Yowza, that one looks stunning. If I didn''t have my pad, I''d be jumping on that one to check it out!

13906.jpg

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
http://www.23rdstreetjewelers.com/aCatItem.aspx This sounds to me like the color you are after (and this is one of my favorite rings ever).

And this one is gorgeous (and available, and in budget, with setting from my favorite jeweler ever) http://www.23rdstreetjewelers.com/aCatItem.aspx but is a little more saturated (at least from the pic)

If you have 10K hanging around and want a sapphire: http://www.23rdstreetjewelers.com/aCatItem.aspx this could be your shade of pink.

Ma re has a great point about finding the shade you want.

ETA: The links aren't working. Just go to the menu on the right click on Rings then Pink. The first one is a morganite cushion with the leaves over the table, the second is the east west oval morganite in the rose gold halo and the third is the pink sapphire oval, also east west, in the white gold vintage style halo with the plain shank.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/20/2009 3:38:21 AM
Author: TravelingGal

Date: 6/20/2009 12:58:53 AM
Palagems doesn''t sell to the public, so you''d have to go through a dealer like Wink but they have a very broad selection. And you can just email wink the stone links and he''ll get back to you with a price quickly (I''ve done this a few times).

Here''s are the nicest light pink stones I found,

this one is an oval, and is orangy pink, and it''s 2 carats but I think it''s just stunning if it''s not windowed. http://www.palagems.com/php/db_search.php?action=gemdetail&inventory_number=13906
Yowza, that one looks stunning. If I didn''t have my pad, I''d be jumping on that one to check it out!
I know, right? *swoon* worthy, especially if it really is a bit orangey. It had me drooling.

icekid

Ideal_Rock
LamborghiniGirl- Let us know when you figure out what you might want. And a budget!
1.gif

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/20/2009 1:55:48 AM
Author: amethystguy
Good post TL..way to break it down..I have seen some killer pink topaz come out of the afghan-pakistan area. Cool stuff but like TL said really expensive..also two of my favs Rhodochrosite and danburite
Thanks! I love transparent rhodochrosite, but it's too soft for a ring. I have not seen pink danburite!! Have any pics?

It's also worth noting about spinels that some have a color shift. For example, I have a spinel that looks more pink in incandescent light, and very lilac in natural light. I love the color shift on my stone because they are two pleasing colors, but if the color shifts to a more grey or brown cast, it might not have the desired effect if you're looking for a true pink stone.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/20/2009 9:45:21 AM
Author: tourmaline_lover

Thanks! I love transparent rhodochrosite, but it''s too soft for a ring. I have not seen pink danburite!! Have any pics?
They''re selling pink danburite on a shopping channel in the UK at the moment. Unspectacular I''m afraid. Too washed out and just a hint of pink.
38.gif

Quick question .......... I thought that Morganite wasn''t heated as a rule and as such didn''t fade? I know fading with Kunzite is a huge problem and I''ve got a 10ct that faded from deep pink to colourless in less than 2 years even though it was in a safe, not worn and not subjected to sunlight (which is the easiest way to fade them). I won''t buy Kunzite now because of that. However luckily none of my other pieces have faded. I read somewhere that sticking them in an oven at 200 degrees could bring back the colour and I''m sooooooo tempted! Do you think if I stuff it inside a chicken it will work and won''t harm anything if it explodes?
9.gif

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/20/2009 9:57:09 AM
Author: LovingDiamonds

Thanks! I love transparent rhodochrosite, but it''s too soft for a ring. I have not seen pink danburite!! Have any pics?
They''re selling pink danburite on a shopping channel in the UK at the moment. Unspectacular I''m afraid. Too washed out and just a hint of pink.
38.gif

Quick question .......... I thought that Morganite wasn''t heated as a rule and as such didn''t fade? I know fading with Kunzite is a huge problem and I''ve got a 10ct that faded from deep pink to colourless in less than 2 years even though it was in a safe, not worn and not subjected to sunlight (which is the easiest way to fade them). I won''t buy Kunzite now because of that. However luckily none of my other pieces have faded. I read somewhere that sticking them in an oven at 200 degrees could bring back the colour and I''m sooooooo tempted! Do you think if I stuff it inside a chicken it will work and won''t harm anything if it explodes?
9.gif
LD,,
I have a deeper darker 8 carat Kunzite (I know, I know, I''m not a fan of kunzites, and yet I have one
20.gif
) that has been in a gem box, but exposed to light, and I''ve had it for over three years, no fading. I think the treated ones tend to fade, but don''t quote me on that. I don''t blame you about not wanting to buy kunzite. I actually find the uncut crystal specimens to be facinating to keep for the collector.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/20/2009 10:03:37 AM

Date: 6/20/2009 9:57:09 AM
Author: LovingDiamonds

38.gif

9.gif
LD,,
I have a deeper darker 8 carat Kunzite (I know, I know, I''m not a fan of kunzites, and yet I have one
20.gif
) that has been in a gem box, but exposed to light, and I''ve had it for over three years, no fading. I think the treated ones tend to fade, but don''t quote me on that. I don''t blame you about not wanting to buy kunzite. I actually find the uncut crystal specimens to be facinating to keep for the collector.
TL we have similar tastes! I''ve got a stunner of a Kunzite but it still doesn''t rock my world! lol!

Barrett

Ideal_Rock
It's hard to find a pic of a cut pink danburite. It's one of those gems that if a big strike was made it would hit the forefront of the gem world. It has that diamond like sparkle. The problem is not enough of it is out there to make purchasing stones plausible(pink)..I have quite a few clear facetgrade rough crystals but nothing in pink. I have seen some killer specs. of pink come from mexico but only a cut stone here and there. Your kunzite since it faded so fast even when not exposed to UV it was more than likely treated. TL's stone is not that is why it has lasted so long with no fading. If you were to wear that evening stone outside in the sun for long enough then.... check out this rhodo..WOW... to bad they are so soft..sorry pic fuzzy but you get the color

pink rhodo.jpg

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Amguy

I do know that the Kunzite I had that faded was heated. I''ve got a few unheated but the majority are heated nowadays and it appears to be hit and miss whether they fade or not. No idea why but it must be something that happens during the heating process as to whether the heating "sticks" or not. Not technical but you probably know what I mean. By contrast, here''s one of mine that hasn''t faded and a picture of the pink danburite they''re selling on a shopping channel at the moment. Thought you might be interested ............

22.11ct Kunzite (not faded
2.gif
)

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pink Danburite - did sparkle nicely but was sooooooooo pale in colour that it looked just like a poor Kunzite. The cutting of the Danburite was dire. All the pieces had windows that were as big as patio doors. This one was one of the better cut specimens.

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/20/2009 12:43:31 PM
It''s hard to find a pic of a cut pink danburite. It''s one of those gems that if a big strike was made it would hit the forefront of the gem world. It has that diamond like sparkle. The problem is not enough of it is out there to make purchasing stones plausible(pink)..I have quite a few clear facetgrade rough crystals but nothing in pink. I have seen some killer specs. of pink come from mexico but only a cut stone here and there. Your kunzite since it faded so fast even when not exposed to UV it was more than likely treated. TL''s stone is not that is why it has lasted so long with no fading. If you were to wear that evening stone outside in the sun for long enough then.... check out this rhodo..WOW... to bad they are so soft..sorry pic fuzzy but you get the color
AMGUY- Where did you get that Stone? I WANT IT!
11.gif

LamborghiniGirl

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Date: 6/20/2009 3:45:07 AM
http://www.23rdstreetjewelers.com/aCatItem.aspx This sounds to me like the color you are after (and this is one of my favorite rings ever).

And this one is gorgeous (and available, and in budget, with setting from my favorite jeweler ever) http://www.23rdstreetjewelers.com/aCatItem.aspx but is a little more saturated (at least from the pic)

If you have 10K hanging around and want a sapphire: http://www.23rdstreetjewelers.com/aCatItem.aspx this could be your shade of pink.

Ma re has a great point about finding the shade you want.

ETA: The links aren''t working. Just go to the menu on the right click on Rings then Pink. The first one is a morganite cushion with the leaves over the table, the second is the east west oval morganite in the rose gold halo and the third is the pink sapphire oval, also east west, in the white gold vintage style halo with the plain shank.

I didn''t expect to see so many responses this morning! I am recovering from oral surgery so I have been sleeping a lot, hence my delay for response time.

Gypsy, the two morganites on the 23rd street page are close to what I am looking for! The color of the one with the leaves over the table is exactly the shade I like, very pale pink.

Also, I may add, I do not like the checkerboard pattern of a lot of the stones I have seen on some of the websites.

Based on that color I like, on the 23rd street page with the leaves on the table, should I definitely go with morganite? I will try to post that pic here so you guys can advise. I am wondering now, seeing that light color, what other stones do come that light without looking grey?

Also, is it hard to find a nice facet pattern like the one in the picture? In which case I should buy a big one and re-cut? Ideally I would just find a stone with the cut I''d like. But this is new to me, maybe that is uncommon.

Dawn61

Rough_Rock
Don't leave out diamonds.
39.gif
They can be naturally light pink too.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results