shape
carat
color
clarity

What do you think of this Stuller setting?

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
Thank you. I really don’t disagree.

(My favorite setting of all time is the Georgian oxidised silver collet but I’m amazed at how expensive they are to have made, and that they seem to be an Acquired taste. I mean, someone actually called my favorite necklace ugly. Never mind, I love it and wear it every day! I think it’s just beautiful and soulful.)

But anyway, after marveling at Edwina so long, I think she suits an Edwardian look. Do you agree? The closest thing I could find to explain my vision for her now, is this post by another PSer:
7B57BB68-BE02-42F5-9A55-25B6474E9E92.jpeg

Source:

I also love this one...it is stunning and looks perfect for "everyday". It looks a lot like how OWD sets many of their OECs and OMCs...it is my fave of all, but I am biased for bezels :)

https://oldworlddiamonds.com/jewelry.php?section=2&version=1601492662

I like the Stuller setting, but the prongs look too chunky to me. I can't remember how big Edwina or her stats...curious to know how she compares to the pendants from Knox jewels...the prongs really swallow the smallest diamond on the right IMO if the stone is meant to be the centerpiece

I like the last 8 prong pendant more and think it is lovely - would be leery of 8 prongs depending on stone size..

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ooh! I think you’re right. Interesting that the middle stone shows much more ‘side view’ to the mount (the stone setting equivalent to “side b00b”) so I think they would have been better off using a smaller mount option of the same setting. Do you agree?

I have no clue, sorry >.<

I’m not good at this stuff!

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
Adding another option to the mix, this time with some very rough photoshop to suggest what the final result might look like. I found a c.1910-1920 14kwg chain that is delicate enough to work. I would have milgrain added to the bezel.
Thoughts on the bezel?
Thoughts on the chain? (Is it the right proportion?)

CF23B3B5-199B-41F1-9B2A-A87D879A8152.jpeg
B0ECBACD-D4A8-43C3-BDAB-7AAA07E93B2E.jpeg 5DAD72D2-0DDD-4CD1-A730-3F04B5328D68.jpeg
B61CE9F4-00E9-4ACD-9A89-E90F7C1FCA11.jpeg

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
Adding another option to the mix, this time with some very rough photoshop to suggest what the final result might look like. I found a c.1910-1920 14kwg chain that is delicate enough to work. I would have milgrain added to the bezel.
Thoughts on the bezel?
Thoughts on the chain? (Is it the right proportion?)

CF23B3B5-199B-41F1-9B2A-A87D879A8152.jpeg
B0ECBACD-D4A8-43C3-BDAB-7AAA07E93B2E.jpeg 5DAD72D2-0DDD-4CD1-A730-3F04B5328D68.jpeg
B61CE9F4-00E9-4ACD-9A89-E90F7C1FCA11.jpeg

I like it a lot! very pretty combo, esp with delicate milgrain!

That is very cool chain. great find.

the only thing...really hard to tell in pics...the bezel looks rhodium plated, the chain looks unplated
? not sure if that matters - plating can also be taken off well enough for the naked eye or added

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
I like it a lot! very pretty combo, esp with delicate milgrain!

That is very cool chain. great find.

the only thing...really hard to tell in pics...the bezel looks rhodium plated, the chain looks unplated
? not sure if that matters - plating can also be taken off well enough for the naked eye or added

Well spotted!
I just spoke to a local jeweler today and I was very clear that I didn't want the mounting plated, and I wanted the chain kept in its untouched condition, its original state, which is un-plated. I asked that it be ordered from Stuller without the rhodium, but he said that would cost extra and take extra time. I didn't object to that at all, but then he said, well, I guess we'll just order it regular and strip the plating off in the shop. I didn't object to that either (but it seems silly since I'm not in a hurry to do it that way). Whatever. As long as it comes out un-plated.

I almost got excited. However the sticking point came when he kept saying they'd refinish the chain. I made it very clear that I didn't want that, I wanted the original historic finish, with no alteration to it. But even after my third insistence that they leave the chain alone, he just kind of verbally 'shrugged' and said, well if that's what you want, ok, we'll have to write it down on the ticket, and try our best.

Uh, no.

In the words of a wise Jedi master, Do, or do not. There is no try.

And that is why Edwina will be going to Los Angeles when she's ready to be set.

Sheesh.

collier

Shiny_Rock
Good Heavens! That is exactly the reason so many projects don't end up the way they are intended. I love the chain and your rough photoshop mock up looks great to me. Can't wait to see the finished piece.

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
Well spotted!
I just spoke to a local jeweler today and I was very clear that I didn't want the mounting plated, and I wanted the chain kept in its untouched condition, its original state, which is un-plated. I asked that it be ordered from Stuller without the rhodium, but he said that would cost extra and take extra time. I didn't object to that at all, but then he said, well, I guess we'll just order it regular and strip the plating off in the shop. I didn't object to that either (but it seems silly since I'm not in a hurry to do it that way). Whatever. As long as it comes out un-plated.

I almost got excited. However the sticking point came when he kept saying they'd refinish the chain. I made it very clear that I didn't want that, I wanted the original historic finish, with no alteration to it. But even after my third insistence that they leave the chain alone, he just kind of verbally 'shrugged' and said, well if that's what you want, ok, we'll have to write it down on the ticket, and try our best.

Uh, no.

In the words of a wise Jedi master, Do, or do not. There is no try.

And that is why Edwina will be going to Los Angeles when she's ready to be set.

Sheesh.

goodness gracious! i have had jewelers look at me like an alien when i have even asked for unplated WG! so insane to me...and to not be able to even acknowledge the beauty of the age and patina...even if it isn't to your liking...yikes.

definitely not a good fit, and glad you sussed it out amply before leaving your precious find with them!

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
Thank you!

I'm thinking that the bezel would look amazing with traditional engraving along the sides. Calling all vintage enthusiasts for their opinions. @YadaYadaYada @Rfisher @JPie @CHRISTY-DANIELLE

I don't have photoshop to make a mockup, but I think engraving would disguise the fact that it's a stock setting and actually make it a better match with the chain. Thoughts?
1602356359363.png
1602355493148.png
1602356750749.png

Last edited:

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like this engraving idea better than the cut outs. Are you thinking David Klass for this?

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
I like this engraving idea better than the cut outs. Are you thinking David Klass for this?

Yep. I trust him. But I want to have a very clear idea of what to request, before I take up his time with inquires again. I have been indecisive and wishy-washy about how to set Edwina, and all the other ideas I've had have left me feeling blasé - until now. The chain made all the difference to how I imagined her 'dress' to look. I think pierced and engraved will be wonderfully feminine and airy, just as her original setting was.

CHRISTY-DANIELLE

Ideal_Rock
Yes-yes-yes!! Love the chain, love the bezel setting with added milgrain and engraving! 100% DK can do this for you. His prices for work like this are very reasonable too! I can't wait to see it finished!!

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think engraving would look very elegant!

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
With the greatest admiration for @Jean_Jean ’s gorgeous ring, here’s another thought for Edwina. Do you all like this better than the bezel? I really want delicacy, either way, and to have a clear mind *before* I bother Mr Klass again.

A3F6B9FB-92A6-40FD-B02A-87D11B321333.jpeg

18C07234-CF6D-45AB-9D0A-2C4A7EAA7EF9.jpeg

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
With the greatest admiration for @Jean_Jean ’s gorgeous ring, here’s another thought for Edwina. Do you all like this better than the bezel? I really want delicacy, either way, and to have a clear mind *before* I bother Mr Klass again.

A3F6B9FB-92A6-40FD-B02A-87D11B321333.jpeg

18C07234-CF6D-45AB-9D0A-2C4A7EAA7EF9.jpeg

Very pretty! Im no help - but I like both. Have you cupped edwina to see if she likes having a little more light come in? Maybe let her decide?

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
Very pretty! Im no help - but I like both. Have you cupped edwina to see if she likes having a little more light come in? Maybe let her decide?
This is a really good idea, I’ll try to get some pics :)

SallyBrown

Shiny_Rock
I don’t know much about mountings, I just want to say though that I love the engraving detail on this ring and band. Good luck with your decision, @PreRaphaelite!

Thank you!

I'm thinking that the bezel would look amazing with traditional engraving along the sides. Calling all vintage enthusiasts for their opinions. @YadaYadaYada @Rfisher @JPie @CHRISTY-DANIELLE

I don't have photoshop to make a mockup, but I think engraving would disguise the fact that it's a stock setting and actually make it a better match with the chain. Thoughts?
1602356359363.png
1602355493148.png
1602356750749.png

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
Wellllp... this sucks.
Starting over. The chain is fake, and now I have to fight with the seller to get a refund. One bright spot is that the Apple Card has already started the dispute, via text message. I admit that I'm angry - I got my hopes up. Damn.
5F07AC44-A8EB-4028-AF20-640E6396662A.jpeg

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
Wellllp... this sucks.
Starting over. The chain is fake, and now I have to fight with the seller to get a refund. One bright spot is that the Apple Card has already started the dispute, via text message. I admit that I'm angry - I got my hopes up. Damn.
5F07AC44-A8EB-4028-AF20-640E6396662A.jpeg

Oh noooo!!!! That is beyond aggravating...so sorry about your experience and hope you get a refund swiftly...so glad you were able to test it!!!

suredoshine

Rough_Rock
The stone in this pendant is the spitting image of Edwina. Maybe David Klass could make a custom one of these? I really like rose gold! I wish I could find a reasonably-priced antique blush gold necklace instead of feeling tempted to shorten my great grandmother’s long chain. They are ridiculous in price right now.
C01A0C27-4D90-449B-B58A-4A9158CDE4A3.jpeg
E4BC662B-FB3F-47E7-B8C6-60E55BE61AE3.jpeg

source:

Maybe for your grandmother's chain you could have a ring put in a couple inches from the end, then you could wear it shorter or longer. When you wear it shorter, the end of the chain will just hang down in the back.

suredoshine

Rough_Rock
712FE286-950F-4C33-AEEC-5AA76389AA90.jpeg

If you have a chain you’d like to attach, it might make it worthwhile to order the mount as a necklace center rather than the necklace with a chain you aren’t interested in wearing anyway.

It could make the price low enough you’d consider it as a temporary setting that could could wear around while trying to decide whether another mounting would be better.

14k would be even less for the center mounting if you were interested in going that route.
58CFAEE1-332D-4137-912C-D79C10F86E43.jpeg

Where are you finding these? Or am I missing it?

jbake

Brilliant_Rock
Where are you finding these? Or am I missing it?
Looking on Stuller’s website or on a Jewelers Showcase. This specific setting was in “findings,” I think.
(To find a jeweler showcase go to stuller .com, click “locate a jeweler,” enter in a zip code and look for a store that offers the showcase feature. They show prices, but they can vary as to what the jeweler actually would charge.)

125145C6-1414-4E66-AEAC-0ACDF68E9E2D.jpeg

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If the OP is going to get a bench to set the stone, then I would suggest getting all the components for the bench to make up the entire necklace.

Have a look at Bella Findings, they are based in LA I believe, and I found a 14K WG 4-prong solitaire with jump ring on their site:

BellaFindings_SolitairePendant.PNG

They also have many 14K chains and clasps.

They appear to have lots more 14K items than 10/18/22K and very limited range in Platinum.

I can see their prices as I have an account with them, and have bought findings from them to make up jewellery items myself.

DK :))

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results